Jarrad Branthwaite

To be honest mate I'm frustrated for you. Branthwaite is just a drop in the ocean compared to what's happening at Everton, you guys cant catch a break.

Hopefully proper owners come into play soon.
Agree with this, don’t want to see proper clubs in huge difficulty.

It is - and it would be extremelt sad if a great club like Everton went to the wall.

But having seen how much joy and validation their fans have taken in the havoc bad owners have wrought on our club, it's hard not to feel a little schadenfreude in their direction.

I don't really get this 'moral' outrage about people finding the very sudden turnaround in their mood quite funny.

Up until a few hours ago, they were still laughing themselves silly over us supposedly still being run like a clown show, patting themselves on the back for keeping Brainthwaite while we "overpaid for a teenager from France", and congratulating themselves over no longer needing to offload players just to generate a bit of cash. And this extends further than the online fan-base, given the semi-official nature of the "look how much you spent on Maguire" and "Branthwaite is a £100 million player" comments.

That Everton forum...It's like reading Bluemoon, so much bile and hatred towards United. Also Branthwhite is a "generational talent" like Rooney, doesn't make mistakes, Real Madrid will buy him, etc. It's what decades of hovering slightly above relegation does to you I guess.

They might buy him - 6 months before his contract expires :)

I wonder what kind of stuff theyre smoking over there to think he is the next Bobby Moore? And we all have to agree to that and somehow its insulting if we dont? He is not even that talented compared to Phil Jones back then.... ffs

Silentwitness is getting a fair bit of unfair flak here. Most of what he said was sensible. Ultimately, it made better sense for Everton to keep Branthwaite than sell him to United unless we were willing to pay an inflated price as they would find it difficult to replace Branthwaite on the cheap. Just like it made sense for United to walk away and buy Yoro at a lower price, with plenty of upsides. English clubs are a lot richer than clubs from other leagues and it is just more difficult to get good value when buying from English clubs.

Agree with the stuff about Silentwitness - seems intelligent and certainly adds something here

I don't really get this 'moral' outrage about people finding the very sudden turnaround in their mood quite funny.

Up until a few hours ago, they were still laughing themselves silly over us supposedly still being run like a clown show, patting themselves on the back for keeping Brainthwaite while we "overpaid for a teenager from France", and congratulating themselves over no longer needing to offload players just to generate a bit of cash. And this extends further than the online fan-base, given the semi-official nature of the "look how much you spent on Maguire" and "Branthwaite is a £100 million player" comments.

I think you can find their fans getting a bit of egg on their faces funny, while still hoping that one of England's oldest, and longest serving top flight clubs doesn't go to the wall.

I think you can find their fans getting a bit of egg on their faces funny, while still hoping that one of England's oldest, and longest serving top flight clubs doesn't go to the wall.

That's basically my stance on it.

As a club, I hope they navigate it.

The fans and people connected to the club that have been laughing at us for the last ten years and giving it the big 'un over Branthwaite these past few weeks can deal with a bit of laughter heading back in their direction.

This reminds me of Rio transfer from Leeds where they were also in difficult financial situation but Leeds still managed to get a very good price for him if I remember the situation correctly

You've just paid £50m for an 18 year old with 1 year left on his deal.... when the other club were offering £20m. You've over paid for a bang average dutch striker... even paid more than his release fee and a ridiculous agent fee.

Lets not pretend United have changed, you've just dished out 2 ridiculous fees.

The problem you have is our fee is above your budget currently.

How is the fee for Zirkzee ridiculous ? We signed a 23 year old Dutch international with 100 league matches from Italy, Belgium and Germany for £35 million

What do you think the fee for a Dutch international who was named best young player in serie A last season should be ?

The Friedkin Group paid off a £200m loan and are now pulling out? What happens to that £200m now? Are they just writing it off or will they be looking for it back?

Seems like they've basically loaned Everton the money to pay off the other loan.

How is the fee for Zirkzee ridiculous ? We signed a 23 year old Dutch international with 100 league matches from Italy, Belgium and Germany for £35 million

What do you think the fee for a Dutch international who was named best young player in serie A last season should be ?
Man United though so they must have overpaid!

The Friedkin Group paid off a £200m loan and are now pulling out? What happens to that £200m now? Are they just writing it off or will they be looking for it back?

That does seem a little weird. I imagine they took over receiving the loan repayments at a better rate or something to that effect.

They obviously would say no fire sale / no forced transfers etc.

Horrible situation to be in though

I'd much rather De Ligt, but given the circumstances, go back in at £40million plus a few add ons with a deadline of the first game of the tour, if no deal, get De Ligt for £42million.

Yep. Current offer stands...until Tuesday, then it goes down £5m, then another £5m on Friday, then another...

When does this shit ever fecking work. Seriously.

Couldn't Branthwaite primarily be competing with Shaw for LB which essentially means that he would be our starting LB?
Branthwaite is a CB primarily, so no he wouldn’t be our starting LB, fully expecting that to be Shaw.

If we do get a LB it will be Ferdi

I think this makes them more determined to hold onto Branthwaite. They won't be in a position to replace him that's for sure.

Even at a good price, I'd be wary about having two inexperienced centre backs so close to the first team. Martinez is a guaranteed starter when fit, but he's missed a lot of games through injury, so we have to have a plan in case that continues.

Branthwaite isn't all that young in the scheme of things, but still has less than 100 career starts, most of which are in lower tier leagues. A Yoro/Branthwaite centre back pairing feels both risky to the team and unfair on the players, who need time to acclimatise to the club and its demands. I don't see us buying three centre backs, and I sure as hell don't want Maguire or Lindelof in the first team again.

De Ligt is a better shout all round. Not actually that much older than Branthwaite, but vastly more experienced.

Probably yeah. But they rejected our last offer of 50M with add ons included. So I would go 5M above that, but not more.

Dude is versatile, young, aggressive and good on the ball. Overpiced? Yeah, because he is british.

Agreed.
He's not good at turning, has a slow acceleration, and 'good on the ball' not in the important aspects.

Branthwaite is a CB primarily, so no he wouldn’t be our starting LB, fully expecting that to be Shaw.

If we do get a LB it will be Ferdi

I know that he is primarily a CB, the point is whether there is a bigger role for him in a different position otherwise it's a strange way to spend our money this summer.

£10m offer. Take it or leave it.
cCVqHor.png

Couldn't Branthwaite primarily be competing with Shaw for LB which essentially means that he would be our starting LB?
Martinez would be the one who moves to LB. I wouldn't be keen on that either though.

This reminds me of Rio transfer from Leeds where they were also in difficult financial situation but Leeds still managed to get a very good price for him if I remember the situation correctly

Yeah when people complain about FFP - they really should read about Leeds from 1999-2002
2000/2001 - about £35 million net loss on transfers
2001/2002 - about £30 million net loss on transfers

And the way they dished out money on wages was insane - the Seth Johnson-story is just hilarious

Well shit that sucks!

Everton's misfortune is our misfortune, getting Branflake over De Ligt is not great at all.

Also, I might be the only one but I kind of like Everton.

Yeah when people complain about FFP - they really should read about Leeds from 1999-2002
2000/2001 - about £35 million net loss on transfers
2001/2002 - about £30 million net loss on transfers

And the way they dished out money on wages was insane - the Seth Johnson-story is just hilarious

Didn't Portsmouth operate in a similar manner in the immediate run-up to their points deduction and subsequent plummet to League Two?

Would rather prefer De Ligt. Anyway even if go for Branthwaite, it should not be more than our second bid. That second bid can already get us De Ligt

Well shit that sucks!

Everton's misfortune is our misfortune, getting Branflake over De Ligt is not great at all.

Also, I might be the only one but I kind of like Everton.

I do too and I hope they will be alright, but those earlier quoted comments backfiring is hilarious.

If priced similarly, who would the caf prefer - him or de Ligt?

de Ligt is perhaps the more sensible signing considering he's closer to the finished article and brings considerable leadership qualities. Branthwaite on the other hand is slightly younger, is seemingly PL-proven and potentially has a higher ceiling. He's also left-footed so would primarily be cover for Martinez who I feel will be more injury-prone than Yoro.

I'm happy with either tbh, but something about a long-term Yoro-Branthwaite-Martinez altering partnership feels more exciting.

Hopefully we'll be able to get Branthwaite now for a much more realistic market value. Ideally, even below market value depending on how much Everton need to sell a player.

Just hope we don't end up overpaying for him. Happy to get him at a sensible price. Happy to get De Ligt at the reported, sensible price instead. But don't want us to get Branthwaite by overpaying, especially if Everton's financial needs have now changed and they should be more open to reasonable negotiations. If they're still not, hope we go for De Ligt.

Last edited:
If priced similarly, who would the caf prefer - him or de Ligt?

de Ligt is perhaps the more sensible signing considering he's closer to the finished article and brings considerable leadership qualities. Branthwaite on the other hand is slightly younger, is seemingly PL-proven and potentially has a higher ceiling. He's also left-footed so would primarily be cover for Martinez who I feel will be more injury-prone than Yoro.

I'm happy with either tbh, but something about a long-term Yoro-Branthwaite-Martinez altering partnership feels more exciting.
I think there is a strong chance he's another Maguire.

I think this makes them more determined to hold onto Branthwaite. They won't be in a position to replace him that's for sure.
Couldn't we offer them Maguire as part of the deal? Might be a good deal for him, too - he wouldn't need to uproot his family and would still be playing in the Premier League.

Last edited: