Jarrad Branthwaite

Outside of all the usual inter-club petty rivalries, which I think is where a lot of the animosity on both sides of fans stem from, I think the biggest issue is that a lot of United fans, rightly or wrongly, see Branthwaite as an inferior footballing prospect to Yoro. I think some of that is because he is English and not as technically proficient as some of the best ball playing defenders around. In midfield, I think Declan Rice is perceived very similarly, and I've seen similar critiques of De Ligt. Many Everton fans clearly disagree - and I think that is part of why the commentary has turned a little toxic.

Reactions: Dargonk
Outside of all the usual inter-club petty rivalries, which I think is where a lot of the animosity on both sides of fans stem from, I think the biggest issue is that a lot of United fans, rightly or wrongly, see Branthwaite as an inferior footballing prospect to Yoro. I think some of that is because he is English and not as technically proficient as some of the best ball playing defenders around. In midfield, I think Declan Rice is perceived very similarly, and I've seen similar critiques of De Ligt. Many Everton fans clearly disagree - and I think that is part of why the commentary has turned a little toxic.
United fans have been burned over and over by overpaying for 'proven' English talent over the years so there's a sound basis for the aversion to the idea especially when PL clubs will never ever sell for anything less than high peak market value.

Looking abroad now instead of almost exclusively domestically for up and coming talents is something that we haven't done much of recently so there's a certain novelty and more excitement there and especially with the way other rival clubs have smashed it when buying young talent from other leagues.

It's like the only thing they can talk about:

I find this genuinely hilarious.

No Man Utd fan is even halfway arsed that we didn't sign Jarrad bloody Braintheaite.

I'll say it again, they just feel emotionally wounded that we don't rate their only decent player as highly as they do and took it personally.

From what I've seen I think most Utd fans think he looks a pretty decent centre back and would be okay with us signing him for a reasonable price.

I think Everton fans are wounded that we aren't begging to sign him and proclaiming him the next Bobby Moore and they are trying to mask it by insulting the club and it's actions.

United fans have been burned over and over by overpaying for 'proven' English talent over the years so there's a sound basis for the aversion to the idea especially when PL clubs will never ever sell for anything less than high peak market value.

Looking abroad now instead of almost exclusively domestically for up and coming talents is something that we haven't done much of recently so there's a certain novelty and more excitement there and especially with the way other rival clubs have smashed it when buying young talent from other leagues.
I fully agree - I think there is a huge Harry Maguire shaped albatross that hangs around the neck of any EPL-proven prospect, particularly English ones of perceived technical inferiority. For what it's worth, I think the narrative would shift dramatically if the aforementioned players are perceived as technically elite. For example, if someone like Bastoni was English and played for Everton, I imagine many posters would be very willing to pay the sums mooted, even if Bastoni does not possess the physical attributes of Branthwaite. I don't know if I fully agree with this view because I do think unique athletic traits are somewhat under appreciated by many fans (I love Rodri and his technical ability, but I genuinely believe that his physical traits are not mentioned enough about what makes him so unique).

Last edited:
I fully agree - I think there is a huge Harry Maguire shaped albatross that hangs around the neck of any EPL-proven prospect, particularly English ones of perceived technical inferiority. I don't know if I fully agree with the analysis, but it seems to colour the view of many posters.

If this lad had proven himself as much as Maguire did at Hull and Leicester this would be a more interesting conversation.

I fully agree - I think there is a huge Harry Maguire shaped albatross that hangs around the neck of any EPL-proven prospect, particularly English ones of perceived technical inferiority. For what it's worth, I think the narrative would shift dramatically if the aforementioned players are perceived as technically elite. For example, if someone like Bastoni was English and played for Everton, I imagine many posters would be very willing to pay the sums mooted, even if Bastoni does not possess the physical attributes of Branthwaite. I don't know if I fully agree with this view because I do think unique athletic traits are somewhat under appreciated by many fans (I love Rodri and his technical ability, but I genuinely believe that his physical traits are not mentioned enough about what makes him so unique).
I think that's the main issue really. It's not enough to just be a good defender anymore, the top teams want players who can pass it out through a press, pass through the lines and/or dribble out of trouble. I haven't seen that much of Branthwaite to be fair, but he does at a glance look big and tall and strong and a bit awkward with the ball.

Lisandro Martinez came to the PL under a lot of scrutiny - lots of pundits were saying he was too short and small for the Premier League, but I can't really remember any times that was an issue? Those pundits ended up eating their words and he was universally lauded as a good player

What a sad pathetic bunch of insecure fans :lol: So butthurt that they are flexing the might of mancity to belittle United, the same mancity who has 115 charges against them and still not punished whilst their own club has already been punished twice for much much less.

You would have thought that they would be seething at mancity given how corrupt they actually are compared to their own club and yet, still getting away with murder but apparently not instead they save their hatred for United, a club which’s not only the enemy of their bitter enemy but also the cross town rivals of the cheats 115fc.

Now, after seeing their bile towards us for no apparent reason I’m sure they were rooting for city in the fa cup final too. Must be. Good thing is we won that final and brought more misery to them. They just need to worry about your their second rate club try to survive relegation again and not getting punished again.

PS - I don’t hate Everton @SilentWitness and I like you :)

Last edited:

Good posts.
Theres a lot of noise and trolling surrounding united and transfer silly season in general. I think both sets of fans are bemused / bewildered by the idea because it would be bizarre if it was true. Maybe everton fans are a bit bewildered that random shit like this gets made up. Its just noise, its speculation, its a bit of daydreaming. I'd try not to get too invested because its just bored people being silly mostly. It wont last.
I'd say people are heavily reassessing the value of physical attributes. Barcelona, Spain and Guardiola have forced a rethink and i'd say that applies to clubs aspiring to league titles and champions league more than most. I think the premier league has been slower to change but there just aren't many drogba, davies, ferguson type strikers to worry about these days. There's very few Stoke on a tuesday night matches these days. The odd team that does tends to be relegation candidates that you should beat even if it isn't an ideal match up.
We've probably been spoiled by having Smalling, Varane and Maguire knocking about and have forgot its value a bit too.
Real Madrid, Liverpool and PSG chasing a player gives a certain amount of reassurance I think for Yoro. Players like him are always cat nip to transfer muppets. Branthwaite is too familiar.

The Maguire shaped albatross might be a bit less significant if teams didn't reference it when trying to sell a defender. Fofana wont help either.

Deary me. Madrid, with the big club mentality, who are financed by their government and local banks and enjoy the lion’s share of tv money, (imagine the outcry if we enjoyed such privilege) who don’t mess around but couldn’t muster more than 20m for a player held in high regard around Europe. Doubt anyone would have been aware of Branthwaite’s existence until now and only then, because it involves Manchester United. We’re on the “up” again and they know it.

The less said about city, the better.

At least City/Madrid and the like don’t mess around with fees. Big club mentality”.

Decent lad, stupid club. If they didn't want to sell why quote a price? Could have easily said not selling. Whom are they kidding?

They've been punished for breaking FFP while City escape with 115 charges and they (City) are "real elite club". This is just...I have no words. What is wrong with these blue scousers?

Blue scouse, red scouse, same shite.

Everton just wants to fleece us….Their reference points are Fofana, Gvardiol and Maguire who are/were 10 times the talent Branthwaite isn’t right now at a somewhat same age.

I love the idea of a Left footed center back young talent …Branthwaite can tackle and be a presence in a low block no doubt ….but he looks like a Bambi on ice who can’t pass, looks clumsy, not comfortable on the ball and doesn’t justify the price tag…He is no Wayne Rooney after all who was a generational talent! And that was the last best deal we did with Everton. I will be disappointed if we get him instead of De Ligt.

Deary me. Madrid, with the big club mentality, who are financed by their government and local banks and enjoy the lion’s share of tv money, (imagine the outcry if we enjoyed such privilege) who don’t mess around but couldn’t muster more than 20m for a player held in high regard around Europe. Doubt anyone would have been aware of Branthwaite’s existence until now and only then, because it involves Manchester United. We’re on the “up” again and they know it.

The less said about city, the better.

At least City/Madrid and the like don’t mess around with fees. Big club mentality”.
You know, I checked and Madrid don't spend as much as I initially thought they might have. They have this reputation as huge spenders (which they are to some extent) but last year they spent 129m on incomings, the year prior 80m, the year before that 31m. Their last really big spend was 19/20 when they spent 361m. They've already spent 49m this season. Maybe they've got some other talent lined up and didn't want to go big on Yoro.

No idea why we are still interested in Branthwaite. The moment we put in a bid of £45m we were already overpaying and Everton rejected it. Move on. There's far better CBs than this guy.

You know, I checked and Madrid don't spend as much as I initially thought they might have. They have this reputation as huge spenders (which they are to some extent) but last year they spent 129m on incomings, the year prior 80m, the year before that 31m. Their last really big spend was 19/20 when they spent 361m. They've already spent 49m this season. Maybe they've got some other talent lined up and didn't want to go big on Yoro.
They've spent a lot more than that on Mbappe.
There's been a few free contract signings, i'd say a bit of money on agents fee's and signing on fee's and all the rest wont be listed there.

No idea why we are still interested in Branthwaite. The moment we put in a bid of £45m we were already overpaying and Everton rejected it. Move on. There's far better CBs than this guy.
I like his potential, but I agree. There must. be talent out there in mainland Europe and South America that is just as good and costs far less.

Yoro is one of the world's best young prospects right now. Branthwaite is talented but I don't think he is as highly rated...i don't understand why the Everton fans don't seem to grasp this. Fair enough if they rate him at 70m, they have every right to. But why would we be angry at Sir Jim for not overpaying?
I don't think they're really angry, put yourself in their shoes. They have an academy player who may not be a world-class talent but he's clearly talented and he'll stay with them for at least another season.

What proud there is to sell your star player for a profit? It's not like the fans get a share of it and the club would hardly invest it better. So if I was an everton fan I would be delighted that United sign Yoro and we'll keep Brainwaithe for at least another season.

Seriously who gives a shit what Everton fans think? We don't need to stoop to their level, be better. They don't want to sell their prized asset for less than 70m, fine good luck, hope it works out for you.

I don't think they're really angry, put yourself in their shoes. They have an academy player who may not be a world-class talent but he's clearly talented and he'll stay with them for at least another season.

What proud there is to sell your star player for a profit? It's not like the fans get a share of it and the club would hardly invest it better. So if I was an everton fan I would be delighted that United sign Yoro and we'll keep Brainwaithe for at least another season.
Thats the part i'd question though. They bought Branthwaithe for 1m, apparently they were pipped to Wharton because they didn't have 15m (that part might just be an everton transfer muppets imagination). It just looks like a team that would benefit more from 3 or 4 solid mid table journeymen than a generational cb.
Maybe the onana money gets things moving and I wouldn't be an expert on teams in their position. I'd probably wheel and deal like harry redknapp and put them in even more financial trouble while replacing quality with shit.

Thats the part i'd question though. They bought Branthwaithe for 1m, apparently they were pipped to Wharton because they didn't have 15m (that part might just be an everton transfer muppets imagination). It just looks like a team that would benefit more from 3 or 4 solid mid table journeymen than a generational cb.
Maybe the onana money gets things moving and I wouldn't be an expert on teams in their position. I'd probably wheel and deal like harry redknapp and put them in even more financial trouble while replacing quality with shit.
Thing is premier league prices are crazy nowadays sure 70M it's a lot of money but gets you 2 maximum 3 descent players. I mean look at what West Ham paid for Kilman 47.5M what the actual feck I mean who can blame everton for valuing Braithwaite at 70M when they're seeing fecking Kilman move for almost 50M.

I would rather keep the generational talent than take my chances on an average scouting department, of course if you're Brighton then feck it sell whoever and keep recruiting.

I think Everton are genuine relegation contenders this season, you'd imagine if that does happen then Branthwaite would probably be allowed to leave for half of what they're now quoting.

I think he will stay and renegotiate his salary for this season. A good agent will get a few clauses (UCL Clubs, relegation clause etc) in there too.

Everton fans being angry about us not signing their best player is something I was not expecting this summer.

What’s the reason? They’d only boo the shit out of him when he played against them anyway. Is United their second team or something?

I think that's the main issue really. It's not enough to just be a good defender anymore, the top teams want players who can pass it out through a press, pass through the lines and/or dribble out of trouble. I haven't seen that much of Branthwaite to be fair, but he does at a glance look big and tall and strong and a bit awkward with the ball.

Lisandro Martinez came to the PL under a lot of scrutiny - lots of pundits were saying he was too short and small for the Premier League, but I can't really remember any times that was an issue? Those pundits ended up eating their words and he was universally lauded as a good player
Lisandro is one of my absolute favourite players in the squad, and such an interesting / unique case study. He is a good, solid defender, but I think he has defensive weaknesses that can be exploited, particularly around defending aggressive high crosses, and potentially even recovery pace (even though he does read the game fairly well and its less often exploitable). And while I think he's done superbly from an individual perspective, I imagine it highlights how important having the right structure and personnel is. I doubt a right footed Licha clone work well as a partnership with a left footed twin, but paired with Varane - who I view as a center back with height, positioning, and recovery pace (but without the distribution ability), and a 22-23 version of Casemiro, who covered immense ground and had such ball winning abilities -- I think all three complemented each other well to form a really great spine with acumen in both attacking and defensive transitions.

Now whether Casemiro can regain those heights is a huge question, and we've obviously lost Varane. So the question I think management should be asking is, what attributes would we want to prioritize when building a squad? I've never seen Yoro play, but looking at highlights and stats, he has to be incredibly exciting because he posses the physical attributes, defensive win rates, and ball playing ability that would both complement Licha's skillsets, but also potentially give us a more leeway in picking a DM that can cover ground and plug defensive holes, without having to be a fantastic distributor. Which is why I think a player like Ugarte (and even Onana) could make sense.

Last edited:
Everton fans being angry about us not signing their best player is something I was not expecting this summer.

What’s the reason? They’d only boo the shit out of him when he played against them anyway. Is United their second team or something?

The amount of salt from numerous fanbases as a result of the Yoro singing is absolutely bizarre.

Its so weird. Were they hoping for a spending spree after selling him or something?
The amount of salt from numerous fanbases as a result of the Yoro singing is absolutely bizarre.

Its delightful :lol:

Although I never thought a clubs fans would have an issue about someone not buying their prize asset.

Wait until the inquest next summer when they are deducted another bucket load of points for financial irregularites and they will all be crying out that they should have accepted the United bid this summer for him :lol::lol::lol:

Hi Dan. It's us again. You do realise we were only joking with the £70m+ stuff for Jarrard...

Offer then 50M+5M. Final offer, take it or leave it. If they reject, just go and get De Ligt for 42M.

Simple.