Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's the only signing that would genuinely take us up a gear, he is that good, so i really see this one as vital, more than a new CB or CDM or LB,

It's a steep price to pay but looking at the bigger picture, if they really have any ambition with this team Sancho is a massive piece of the puzzle.

I think you are reading between the lines here. One part of the deal is us paying the 120 m, which Fabrizio is alluding to. However, he says nothing about whether Dortmund are still willing to sell.

Sancho will be done if we pay the fee. What else could that possibly mean

Dortmund better get going and sign Zaha or some other shit so we can get this done.

Why would they sign Zaha or some other lesser player when they have Sancho? He’s their player and will remain that way this season unless Utd stump up the €120m required to buy him. Which at this point looks unlikely to say the least unfortunately.

Double announcement. VDB & Sancho. Get it done Woody.

Sancho is a marquee signing, they'll want to milk that as much as they can and for social media reasons and press it's better to have news drip filtered throughout a month than all in a day

Didn't Ronaldo mostly play RW in 06/07?

Giggs - MF - MF - Ronaldo

I think it was 4-3-3 with Ronaldo, Rooney, Saha up top. Carrick, Scholes, Giggs in midfield?

Edit: I suppose this could very well be a 4-4-2 with the tactic you stated. But Ronaldo did play on the right yes.

I think it was 4-3-3 with Ronaldo, Rooney, Saha up top. Carrick, Scholes, Giggs in midfield?

Edit: I suppose this could very well be a 4-4-2 with the tactic you stated. But Ronaldo did play on the right yes.

Yes that's what I remember as well. We'd line up 442 and then especially from 07 through 09 it'd turn into more of a lopsided 433 depending on the opposition.

I assume I am right in saying that this could still 'drag on' for a number of weeks?

If we actually go for donny van de beek, there's no way in hell we're realistically trying to get sancho anymore
I think this might be right. VDB is hardly the priority and if we're struggling to make the Sancho price, dropping money on VDB isn't helping. I'm disappointed, but it is what it is. Will have to try again next summer.
Why? I mean the rumours all summer have been an interest in three positions. Sancho, Grealish/VdB and a CB.
Because I'm starting to buy into the idea that we're unable to do more than said deal in this covid environment. I thought we may go for a "sancho or bust" window. To me, cheaper squad signing is a signal of walking away

I think a lot of people have bought into this notion that we are all of a sudden strapped for cash.

Let’s not forget, as we entered the final few weeks of the season, Ole, Woodward and the board were confident that we would be able to take advantage of the covid situation.

Also, it’s well known our prime targets were Sancho, Grealish and a CB.

The facts at THAT time when all this talk was going on were:

- Covid is here to stay for a while
- Utd would expect to pay around £130-150m for the players they had in mind above. Even if that’s the price they had wished to get them for.
- I doubt Utd expected fans to suddenly return for the new season at that point.
- Knowing that, they most certainly would have forecasted for the eventuality that the stadiums may be empty all of the new season.
- Those facts above haven’t changed from them till now.

So the idea that Utd don’t suddenly have any money to spend is nonsense in my opinion.

Buying Sancho and VDB is still on and nothing has changed. This is not the muppet inside me talking. It’s the realist. It would be the most insane thing to do to walk away from the Sancho deal after working for so many years to bring him here. It’s not like Utd have been blown out of the water with the asking price. The asking price is very reasonable.

The idea of the club being in debt is nothing new. Utd have been in debt from the moment the Glazers walked into the club. We were in considerably more debt then than we are now. The revenues and income are considerably more now than they were then. Utd adding more debt is nothing daunting. Utd have the revenues to service the debt comfortably even if it means increasing some of that debt now.

There is no reason why Sancho and a couple of other signings won’t arrive before the end of the window. Nothing drastic has changed since Utd had these plans initially.

I think you are reading between the lines here. One part of the deal is us paying the 120 m, which Fabrizio is alluding to. However, he says nothing about whether Dortmund are still willing to sell.
He literally says “Sancho will be done” if Utd pay the 120m.

Regardless, as has been discussed many times Dortmund would have to be drunk to not accept the price they are asking for.

How so? I interpret it as .. if we pay the €120 we get Sancho. Not sure what else he could mean!
Of course it implies that Dortmund would sell at that fee otherwise there's no need for him to mention an amount or anything at all.
Sancho will be done if we pay the fee. What else could that possibly mean

I think he means that you might be putting too much emphasis on ’will’. English is not Fabrizios first language and it shows some times.
What I took from the tweet is that the only POSSIBILITY that the deal can still be done hinges on us caving to Dortmunds demands. We already know that we’ve passed the artificial deadline where Dortmund were willing to discuss a deal so unless Dortmund are bullshitting us (entirely possible) we won’t get Sancho even if we do offer 120 million for him.

Long story short- Romano has nothing to say which we didn’t already know.

If Sancho doesn't come in, we possibly still need 2 attackers this window. James is not a great back up. Rashford has no back up on the left at all. And Ighalo goes back to china in January.

Rashford, Martial, Greenwood and James is not good enough in depth at all. Shocking in fact. Looking at other top European teams that we would call our desired level, Bayern, Juventus, man city etc.. all have great numbers and quality in those forward positions.

It’s one of those ones that’ll drag on and on for an eternity until next summer when he’ll eventually sign for another club that’s willing to stump up the money.
Agreed. The only upside (and I mean that in the loosest possible sense) is that the version of Sancho any other team will get we'll be totally different to our own.

Hope we get him somehow, will be kicking ourselves in a couple of years time if we miss out on him.

Talks for Jadon Sancho have yet to be resolved, while #mufc are also in the market for a new centre-back #mulive [@FabrizioRomano, @ed_aarons]

I highly doubt that we are in for a new CB this window considering how the tight budget we are in.
It's been mentioned by multiple people we're after a CB.

We don't have even the faintest clue what our budget is, saying it is or isn't tight is total speculation.

It's been mentioned by multiple people we're after a CB.

We don't have even the faintest clue what our budget is, saying it is or isn't tight is total speculation.

By the looks of recent links; Badiashile , Gabriel (now of Arsenal). The target seems to be a less than 30M for a CB rather than high profile targets.

Love the “back in the market for a CB”. It’s as if we’d decided against it, but woke up this morning and thought may as well start looking at CB’s again, why the hell not...

Where did you read the word back?

Love the “back in the market for a CB”. It’s as if we’d decided against it, but woke up this morning and thought may as well start looking at CB’s again, why the hell not...

Tbf - there could have been movement on Smalling that changes our approach. If he goes to Roma we get a new CB. If he stays then we’ll use him as 3rd choice.

I think he means that you might be putting too much emphasis on ’will’. English is not Fabrizios first language and it shows some times.
What I took from the tweet is that the only POSSIBILITY that the deal can still be done hinges on us caving to Dortmunds demands. We already know that we’ve passed the artificial deadline where Dortmund were willing to discuss a deal so unless Dortmund are bullshitting us (entirely possible) we won’t get Sancho even if we do offer 120 million for him.

Long story short- Romano has nothing to say which we didn’t already know.
Pretty much. Fabrizio is stringing us along with these tweets. Hypothetically, even if we do stump up the 120 m and Dortmund refuse to sell, he hasn't said anything that can't be explained away.

Pretty much. Fabrizio is stringing us along with these tweets. Hypothetically, even if we do stump up the 120 m and Dortmund refuse to sell, he hasn't said anything that can't be explained away.
If you follow his tweets he's been quite clear that 120m will get us Sancho. Reality is dynamic too - who knows what will happen, perhaps there was a time that 120 would have, and now it wouldn't. Perhaps he's right and their stance never changed.
I don't think he's trying to string anyone along though - his tweets are generally there to give us updates and the ones we scour for updates on tend to be him just answering questions.

If he was stringing us along he'd probably write a whole headline article about Sancho because that would = clicks. Instead his latest article has Sancho as a footnote, that we are yet to agree and that's that.

I watched Ronaldo from day 1 when he got his debut as a sub against Bolton wanderers. I've been following this club before Ronaldo was thought of as a footballer. Cristiano wasn't that good on the right. heck, SAF preferred a young darren fletcher over him for long periods of time when he started his career with us. He established him self in the 06/07 when he was a menace from the left flank. he was ever since known to be as a LW or as CF especially in the 4-5-1 formation which got us the 08' champions league and a runner up place in the next year against one of the best footballing sides ever.

Don't try to be condescending towards me please. I only have respect for you as a fellow United member and you should do the same.

update: *as I passed the daily 5 post limit* :

*fixed the grammar error. I really should start paying some of you by the hour.
*Ronaldo's 06/07 is where he started to feel more comfortable to the left. he played for Portogal as LW in the 04 euros + 06 world cup.
* in 07/08 he made that place his own and the rest is history. We've never replaced Becks until now with the pursuit of Jadon Sancho.
Just to let you know, to condescend means: To behave in a patronizing or superior manner toward someone.
Didn't Ronaldo mostly play RW in 06/07?

Giggs - MF - MF - Ronaldo

Pointing out that we had a fellow playing RW who has an argument for being the GOAT isn’t being condescending... it’s a fact. Ronaldo played as a classic RW almost exclusively his first 2-3 years here and he was damn good. See, cause we had a guy, Ryan Giggs, who was VERY left footed, who was played at LW. Would they swap flanks midway through the first half? Yes, sometimes. It wasn’t until the 06-07 season that Cristiano started and played on the left, won PL Player of the Year, Giggs moved more centrally, either as a second striker behind Rooney or as part of a midfield 4. SAF played Ronaldo wherever he thought the opposition was weakest.

@Abdullah7

Not sure if disagreeing with someone is considered “condescending”, if it is, you’re in the wrong place mate.

If you follow his tweets he's been quite clear that 120m will get us Sancho. Reality is dynamic too - who knows what will happen, perhaps there was a time that 120 would have, and now it wouldn't. Perhaps he's right and their stance never changed.
I don't think he's trying to string anyone along though - his tweets are generally there to give us updates and the ones we scour for updates on tend to be him just answering questions.

If he was stringing us along he'd probably write a whole headline article about Sancho because that would = clicks. Instead his latest article has Sancho as a footnote, that we are yet to agree and that's that.
The desperation to discredit it is odd. We've also got a poster adding in words to the tweet to make it appear more ambiguous than it actually is.

Status
Not open for further replies.