Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sigma

Have to admit it’s getting depressing once again this transfer window. Reminds me of last year. I’m convinced the Glazers are only really interested in top 4.
I hear you, starting to get the sense that the club are more than fine with being the rich man's Arsenal and not actually competing amongst the true elite
We need to face facts guys, we are probably never winning the premier league again under the Glazers.
I'm not really sure how you can blame the Glazers' financial input. According to transfermarkt, we spent on average £154 million in each of the last 6 seasons (total = £925 million) and received an average of £53 million over the past 6 seasons (total = £317 million). Thats an average net spend per season of +£101 million (total = £600 million) on transfers alone. The Glazers have financially backed the club.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/manchester-united/alletransfers/verein/985

Skåre Willoch

As much as I loved Nani, some of you are seriously overrating him.

Would he have been useful in our squad today? Sure.
Did he have flair and skill? Plenty.
Was it wrong to let go of him? Maybe, I lean towards yes.
Was he a better RW than Valencia? Yes.
Was he ever a great player? No way.

Back to the topic; Jadon Sancho.
With the big moves happening right now, we have absolutely no excuse to not go all in for him.
Messi is probably going to the Etihad, along with Aké, that spanish fella, and probably Koulibaly and a few others.
Chelsea are signing just about everyone, filling every single hole in their squad with quality (some even world class). Thiago Silva, Chilwell, Havertz, Ziyech, Werner. Have I forgot about anyone?
Liverpool are probably getting Thiago for an instant upgrade in the one position they might have some weakness.
Arsenal and Spurs are probably strengthening as well (Doherty to Spurs, whoever to Arsenal), and will most likely improve next season.

We simply cannot sleep this transfer window. It's the biggest, most important window we've had for a while, because of the absolute chaos and impressive signings made by direct competitors who are arguably already ahead of us anyway.

If we fail this window, it will be a lot more expensive than £108m, that's for sure.
So do we want to spend £108m+ to strengthen the squad and hopefully recoup a bit of it with CL money next season as well, merchandising, sponsors, etc?
Or do we want to lose £108m+ by finishing 6th, missing out on CL money yet again, have a weaker hand with sponsors, losing out on merchandise, etc.?

We're either looking at investing £108m+ with the potential to turn it into a profit over time, or we're simply losing £108m+ by not investing properly in the squad.
I know which option I would go for.

theklr

I'm not really sure how you can blame the Glazers' financial input. According to transfermarkt, we spent on average £154 million in each of the last 6 seasons (total = £925 million) and received an average of £53 million over the past 6 seasons (total = £317 million). Thats an average net spend per season of +£101 million (total = £600 million) on transfers alone. The Glazers have financially backed the club.

This - we have spent the second most in the league since SAF left if I remember correctly.
Too bad so much has been shit, but thats down to the managers or our lack of a DOF.

If the spending continues under Ole we are going places.

treble_winner

We simply cannot sleep this transfer window. It's the biggest, most important window we've had for a while, because of the absolute chaos and impressive signings made by direct competitors who are arguably already ahead of us anyway.

If we fail this window, it will be a lot more expensive than £108m, that's for sure.
So do we want to spend £108m+ to strengthen the squad and hopefully recoup a bit of it with CL money next season as well, merchandising, sponsors, etc?
Or do we want to lose £108m+ by finishing 6th, missing out on CL money yet again, have a weaker hand with sponsors, losing out on merchandise, etc.?

We're either looking at investing £108m+ with the potential to turn it into a profit over time, or we're simply losing £108m+ by not investing properly in the squad.
I know which option I would go for.
You care a lot but sadly our board does not care. All they care about is lining up their wallet. COVID came at the ideal time for them and has become the perfect excuse to not spend any money this summer.

If we fail to get results next season, they will simply give Ole the sack while Woodward dishes out the usual "United looking for a Director of Football" PR stuff. It has become a pattern these last few years.

romufc

You care a lot but sadly our board does not care. All they care about is lining up their wallet. COVID came at the ideal time for them and has become the perfect excuse to not spend any money this summer.

If we fail to get results next season, they will simply give Ole the sack while Woodward dishes out the usual "United looking for a Director of Football" PR stuff. It has become a pattern these last few years.
Exactly this.

We are in this cycle of new manager, spend to get top 4, get top 4 sleep, sack manager repeat.

There is a reason we are not improving everytime we get into the top 4, lack of investment.

Skåre Willoch

This - we have spent the second most in the league since SAF left if I remember correctly.
Too bad so much has been shit, but thats down to the managers or our lack of a DOF.

If the spending continues under Ole we are going places.
It's not all about the spending itself, though. The Glazers haven't really backed us.

The money we've spent have been the money we've made. The club has invested in the club, the owners have invested in their own bank accounts.* They've taken far more money out of the club (both personally and through the high interest loans) than the club has spent og players.** They've taken out lord knows how much in dividends, and we pay, and have paid, unreal money for interest on loans we didn't even need in the first place. The money spent on players is fine on it's own, but again, that's only a part of the problem. We could've spent even more, and I'd still have the same stance.

We would be so much more financially healthy without their ownership, and our liquidity would be way better off. And we're paying the price for both dividends and interest right now, with a shortage in cash. The current economic crisis really shows what this kind of ownership can lead to. Can anyone argue that we'd be worse off financially without their ownership? I realize they've been smart with Woodie and his commercial teft, but the fact that so much of the money we make "gets lost", and never really helps the club itself in any way is highly frustrating.

If they really do back the club and have any interest at all in growing it properly, now is the time to show it. The current economic crisis really highlights how bad it's been for us with the loans and dividends over time.

*I realize we're a business, and that the owners seek to run it as such and get rich. Which is my entire point. There are pros and cons about it, but right now, in august 2020, the cons heavily outweigh the pros.
**If anyone has specific numbers on how much we've paid in interest on loans, and how much we've paid in dividends throughout their ownership period I'd be very happy. If I'm proven wrong, I'll eat my humble pie in peace.

Siorac

Exactly this.

We are in this cycle of new manager, spend to get top 4, get top 4 sleep, sack manager repeat.

There is a reason we are not improving everytime we get into the top 4, lack of investment.
But this is simply not true, or at least wasn't until this summer. It was sort of true for one summer: 2018. Mourinho "only" got to spend 70m that summer after finishing second. The poor boy.

But we spent big in 2015 after LVG secured CL qualification. We spent big in 2017 when Mourinho secured CL qualification.

We spent a LOT and we wasted most of it. That's the truth. We have the second highest net spend in Europe since Fergie's retirement. Lack of investment isn't United's problem.

HackeyC

Odds are surely high on Barcelona trying to buy Sancho with a Messi windfall. But in fairness, our squad needs less work than theirs so we could be a more attractive proposition.

romufc

But this is simply not true, or at least wasn't until this summer. It was sort of true for one summer: 2018. Mourinho "only" got to spend 70m that summer after finishing second. The poor boy.

But we spent big in 2015 after LVG secured CL qualification. We spent big in 2017 when Mourinho secured CL qualification.

We spent a LOT and we wasted most of it. That's the truth. We have the second highest net spend in Europe since Fergie's retirement. Lack of investment isn't United's problem.

Spending big.. it says Martial £54m when we know Martials fee was £35m plus add ons and he also lost a few players so he had to replace them.

Jose got Lukaku, Matic and Lindelof but then got Fred and the sack.

Ole has had to rebuild from almost nothing, he should be backed this summer.

Skåre Willoch

This is a very simplistic way of looking at things. Investment is more than only buying players. We really need to upgrade/invest in the stadium (at the very least fix the broken parts) and we need to invest in a DOF. I'm sure there are plenty of other things as well, that are simply neglected because the owners only care about profits. Profits they take out of the club, or that we have to spend on interest on loans we never needed in the first place. The fact that United actually buys some players as the biggest club in the world* can hardly be called "investment". It should be called "business as usual". When we skip dividends for a year, they erase the huge loans we have, they fix Old Trafford, they hire a DOF, and bring us closer to contention in the league and Europe through their spending, I'll agree they've invested. Until at least some of those things happen, I simply disagree. A business spending money made by the business itself is simply called running i business. If the owners spend their own money, or at the very least stop taking as much of cash out of the business, it is investment.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Odds are surely high on Barcelona trying to buy Sancho with a Messi windfall. But in fairness, our squad needs less work than theirs so we could be a more attractive proposition.
More likely they sign Lauturo Martinez

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Happy not signing Sancho day again everyone.
The more we dilly-dally on this transfer the greater the chance that some other team will grab him from under our noses.
Can we only manage one transfer at a time ?!
Ed/Judge heard of multi-tasking before?!

lewwoo

Compared to our income and what we could be spending they are sucking us dry. They spend the bare minimum they need to compete for top 4 and when that is achieved stop backing the manager to reach the next level. The only reason they have spent what they have over the last few seasons is because they are scared of losing money long term. A team like Manchester Utd should be pushing for the top not satisfied being the new Arsenal.

Sigma

Compared to our income and what we could be spending they are sucking us dry. They spend the bare minimum they need to compete for top 4 and when that is achieved stop backing the manager to reach the next level. The only reason they have spent what they have over the last few seasons is because they are scared of losing money long term. A team like Manchester Utd should be pushing for the top not satisfied being the new Arsenal.
We basically have the same expenditure (as well as net spend) as Manchester City over the past 6 years (Manchester United are only 100 million euros from Barcelona who occupy 1st place), the 4th highest in Europe. Arsenal are 12th, with 2/3s of our expenditure value (and half of our net value).

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/tra...&nat=&pos=&altersklasse=&w_s=&leihe=&intern=0

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
A peaceful protest should be held outside of Old Trafford, with some Matching towards Ed and the Glazers house.

Siorac

This is a very simplistic way of looking at things. Investment is more than only buying players. We really need to upgrade/invest in the stadium (at the very least fix the broken parts) and we need to invest in a DOF. I'm sure there are plenty of other things as well, that are simply neglected because the owners only care about profits. Profits they take out of the club, or that we have to spend on interest on loans we never needed in the first place. The fact that United actually buys some players as the biggest club in the world* can hardly be called "investment". It should be called "business as usual". When we skip dividends for a year, they erase the huge loans we have, they fix Old Trafford, they hire a DOF, and bring us closer to contention in the league and Europe through their spending, I'll agree they've invested. Until at least some of those things happen, I simply disagree. A business spending money made by the business itself is simply called running i business. If the owners spend their own money, or at the very least stop taking as much of cash out of the business, it is investment.
Upgrading the stadium has absolutely nothing to do with our on-pitch problems of the last seven years and you know it. It's irrelevant to this discussion. Yes, it would be nice if they invested in Old Trafford. No, it doesn't mean that they didn't spend enough in the transfer market.
But most teams at the top spend less than we do, or a comparable amount. The reason we're in the mess we're in is because we spent that money much worse.

I agree that it's criminal if we sign no one this window but equally, throwing even more money at our problems is not going to solve them. The Glazers' greatest flaw is that they seem to have no clue how to establish a competent footballing leadership at the club.

slyadams

I’m no Glazer lover but the lack of a DOF is not on them. The very role of a DOF is, in effect, operational efficiency. It should minimise spending (smaller squad churn due to a consistent recruitment plan, smaller manager churn as each manager is picked more carefully and doesn’t start from scratch) whilst maximising performance. It should achieve all this for an extremely small relative cost. Why would the Glazer’s not want this?

Imo it’s Woodward who doesn’t want a DOF.

Matriac

I’m no Glazer lover but the lack of a DOF is not on them. The very role of a DOF is, in effect, operational efficiency. It should minimise spending (smaller squad churn due to a consistent recruitment plan, smaller manager churn as each manager is picked more carefully and doesn’t start from scratch) whilst maximising performance. It should achieve all this for an extremely small relative cost. Why would the Glazer’s not want this?

Imo it’s Woodward who doesn’t want a DOF.
If the Glazers really wanted a DOF there is nothing Woodward could do to stop it.

slyadams

If the Glazers really wanted a DOF there is nothing Woodward could do to stop it.
Correct, but they aren’t involved in day to day running of the club. Nor should they. What you can criticise them for is being content with Woodward’s leadership and that tells you their priorities.

Skåre Willoch

Upgrading the stadium has absolutely nothing to do with our on-pitch problems of the last seven years and you know it. It's irrelevant to this discussion. Yes, it would be nice if they invested in Old Trafford. No, it doesn't mean that they didn't spend enough in the transfer market.

But most teams at the top spend less than we do, or a comparable amount. The reason we're in the mess we're in is because we spent that money much worse.

I agree that it's criminal if we sign no one this window but equally, throwing even more money at our problems is not going to solve them. The Glazers' greatest flaw is that they seem to have no clue how to establish a competent footballing leadership at the club.
Not throwing money at the problem ain't gonna solve it either.

Matriac

Correct, but they aren’t involved in day to day running of the club. Nor should they. What you can criticise them for is being content with Woodward’s leadership and that tells you their priorities.
Isn't it somewhat widely reported that Joel Glazer works up to 8 hours a day with United stuff from his office in the US?

I'm sure he is working on other things at the same time, but that he's available as a liaison for the Board/shareholders for what they will accept to sign off on, as well as staying informed of various aspects of the club and where attention might be needed.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
We basically have the same expenditure (as well as net spend) as Manchester City over the past 6 years (Manchester United are only 100 million euros from Barcelona who occupy 1st place), the 4th highest in Europe. Arsenal are 12th, with 2/3s of our expenditure value (and half of our net value).

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/tra...&nat=&pos=&altersklasse=&w_s=&leihe=&intern=0
Over the last 10 years we’ve spent 400m less than City but that doesn’t tell the whole story. In the years when we were hamstrung hugely by the glazer debt they were snapping up kompany, silva, Aguero and Yaya to get to our level whilst we were moaning about no value being in the market. As such the squad that Moyes took over post Ferguson when we were in a position to spend again although on paper had just won the league was full of previously world class players in decline and mediocrity. We then needed rebuild and go out and buy the Yaya’s etc but the market has changed and they now cost absolute top dollar. Of course we’ve spent incredibly poorly too but let’s not pretend the Glazer debt player no part in where we are now.

The frustrating thing is we’re another two 100m net spend summers away from having an exceptionally talented young squad which could challenge for years to come. That investment combined with 8/9 players leaving would give us one heck of a squad. I think that’s why you see such frustration on here, we aren’t that far off if we invest and spend wisely. They just need to find the cash from somewhere.

Siorac

Not throwing money at the problem ain't gonna solve it either.
Yeah, the lack of activity this summer is a problem. Unfortunately, the fact that we wasted a lot of money in earlier seasons means we keep having to spend money.

romufc

Us spending over the years does not mean we cannot spend again. We have one of the highest turover's in the world. One of the largest fan bases in the world.

We do not rely on matchday earnings like most other clubs, so the impact of covid on us is less than other clubs.

We have been leveraging out our club for years when the Glazers feel they need personal money, we can definitely spend money this summer, we just don't want to.

mav_9me

Doubt he'll go to barca. I think the bigger worry would be a domino effect like barca going for say Mane or Salah and with that money Liverpool going for him.

Skåre Willoch

Yeah, the lack of activity this summer is a problem. Unfortunately, the fact that we wasted a lot of money in earlier seasons means we keep having to spend money.
And if we had owners that actually invested in the club, or at least didn't do the exact opposite, spending big this summer wouldn't be a problem at all.

We have spent something like £800m in loan payments and interest between 2008 and 2017 (I imagine we're at least close to the £1bn mark by now). I don't know how much we've paid in dividends, but I'm sure it's not a small sum either.

0le

Why would Mane and Salah want to join Barca though? They’re an absolute mess. If Messi does leave on a free there is no way they have the cash either.
Barcelona are still one of the European supergiants and players often have aspirations to join either Real Madrid or Barcelona.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Barcelona are still one of the European supergiants and players often have aspirations to join either Real Madrid or Barcelona.
Only if they believe they can win silverware, and right now Liverpool and Bayern are the two peak teams. Klopp is also a manager that many players would love to play under. Its not even like Mane has roots which look to Barcelona or Real as bigger clubs to go to. African players look at Manchester United and Liverpool as equally giant clubs, if not bigger.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He was alright in a good team, but tbh he never elevated the team to the next level by himself (like for example Rooney/Ronaldo/Tevez/Giggsy). Odd flashes of brilliance for sure, but not consistently. He'd probably barely get into the current side which is quite damning. That red card broke my heart too, but that was horseshit in fairness.
The only season Nani was played on the right he was our best player, probably the best player in the league, led us to the league title, and was battling it out with Di Maria as the third best winger in the world (behind the two freaks of course).

When he was played on the left he was capable of reaching the same heights , but he wasn't able to do it consistently and he'd have as many bad games as he did good. On the right he was always more consistent for us (culminating in the season I described above), but unfortunately for him he spent almost his entire time with us playing on the left because we also had Valencia who could only play the one spot. I do wish we'd done the Valencia to rightback conversion earlier so we could have let both of them run that right side together.

romufc

Why would Mane and Salah want to join Barca though? They’re an absolute mess. If Messi does leave on a free there is no way they have the cash either.
Wages. Liverpool do not offer the wages that top players want.

They have won the PL and CL, they might want to try something new with higher wages. They can easily get 250k plus at another club.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Messi, their greatest ever who has been there since he was a boy is leaving because he doesn’t see them competing over the next 2-3 years even with him in the side. I don’t see two 29 year olds in their prime at a club competing at the top looking at that current situation and thinking it’s for them. They’d be pretty mad if they do, but stranger things have happened I guess.

mav_9me

Messi, their greatest ever who has been there since he was a boy is leaving because he doesn’t see them competing over the next 2-3 years even with him in the side. I don’t see two 29 year olds in their prime at a club competing at the top looking at that current situation and thinking it’s for them. They’d be pretty mad if they do, but stranger things have happened I guess.
It depends right. I wouldn't go to barca either if I was in their shoes. But barca could offer higher wages, Koeman could sell the project, they could be the spearhead etc etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.