Jadon Sancho (Out) | Chelsea reach deal to sign on loan with obligation to buy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely the Sancho for Sterling rumour must be a media creation - our management can't be that stupid. Can they?
Depends what the alternative is. Selling him is clearly better.

But if it’s a choice between paying Sancho £18m a year to sit on our bench, or paying half his wages while he plays at dortmund, til he leaves on a free in 2026 vs a gamble on Sterling, I wouldn’t say it’s that simple a decision.

Surely the Sancho for Sterling rumour must be a media creation - our management can't be that stupid. Can they?
It's not happening. People have short memories. Sir Jim gave an interview and said signing old players is off the table.

Any chance of Chiesa in return?
If we want him, sure. Juve are desperate to get rid of him and have put a price tag of €20m on him but he hasn't drummed up much interest. His form and injuries are a concern. He might be one still living on the hype of a few years ago to be honest.

' The #ManchesterUnited is ready to officially discuss with the #Juventus the possible transfer of Jadon #Sancho.
A private jet is expected to take off from Manchester for Turin later in the day.
[ @samuelluckhurst - @mufcMPB]'

Doubt juventus agree to anything that doesn’t have the word loan in there somewhere.

It makes even less sense to loan him (without an obligation) now they've stockpiled wingers. It won't even be a suitable shop window.

I think at least we should loan him out to a club where he'll play all the time and they pay something of the wage so it is a proper shop window for next summer.

If we want him, sure. Juve are desperate to get rid of him and have put a price tag of €20m on him but he hasn't drummed up much interest. His form and injuries are a concern. He might be one still living on the hype of a few years ago to be honest.
I admit I haven't really seen him since he came back from the cruciate injury. I take it he's struggling. Which is a shame because he was tremendous when younger. Looks like he's off to Barca anyway.

I admit I haven't really seen him since he came back from the cruciate injury. I take it he's struggling. Which is a shame because he was tremendous when younger. Looks like he's off to Barca anyway.

Yeah I didn't realise he was close to joining Barca

Depends what the alternative is. Selling him is clearly better.

But if it’s a choice between paying Sancho £18m a year to sit on our bench, or paying half his wages while he plays at dortmund, til he leaves on a free in 2026 vs a gamble on Sterling, I wouldn’t say it’s that simple a decision.

What, a player who was deemed surplus by a great team and then by a team on roughly our level, is well into his thirties, costs a lot to acquire and will need a lengthy and expensive contract and plays a primary position where we (unlike the team selling him) already have two marquee players? That would be colossally misguided. What's the point of solving the Sancho problem by acquiring a new one?

I mean......the reports are all coming from Chelsea's side that that's what they're offering. Nothing from our side about considering it. So no need to start unfairly criticising the management just yet.

I'm not. On the contrary, I wrote that I assume this is all media generated.

Honestly I'd much rather trade Sancho for Sterling than do another loan with no obligation to buy. Even a loan with option is pointless.

Why are the United officials traveling to Turin instead of them flying over to Manchester if they want to do a deal for our player? Those Italian cheapskates want to save on flights as well?

Honestly I'd much rather trade Sancho for Sterling than do another loan with no obligation to buy. Even a loan with option is pointless.
A loan with option, especially to Juventus, is just a loan. They will never convert it into a permanent signing.

I would not trade him for Sterling though. It’s about getting rid of deadwood and having less players we don’t have need for.

Why are the United officials traveling to Turin instead of them flying over to Manchester if they want to do a deal for our player? Those Italian cheapskates want to save on flights as well?
Our execs probably fancy a slice of good pizza.

A loan with option, especially to Juventus, is just a loan. They will never convert it into a permanent signing.

I would not trade him for Sterling though. It’s about getting rid of deadwood and having less players we don’t have need for.
Ridding sancho and reducing the wages is a win in itself.

Ridding sancho and reducing the wages is a win in itself.
We reduced plenty of wages this summer.
So, you want to swap an underperforming player on high wages for an older underperforming player on high wages with zero resale value.

Make it make sense.

It hasn't been a full blown drama (yet) but in the build-up for both games this season too many minutes have been spent in the media discussing his absence.

The guy offers nothing on the pitch and only creates negative storylines off it (albeit not entirely his fault) but the club needs to remove this problem, the sooner the better.

We reduced plenty of wages this summer.
So, you want to swap an underperforming player on high wages for an older underperforming player on high wages with zero resale value.

Make it make sense.
In my scenario sterling takes a wage cut and can actually play some role in the squad. Sancho won't and literally no one wants to buy him.

Cant care less where this brat ends up. We should just make sure we add a little pace in our team. Looking at Chelsea and Liverpool on the weekend, they were lightning fast on the counter. Yet when we see ball out to Garnacho, Amad, Antonyu or Rashford, non of them is able to run with the ball fast enough to get away from defenders.

Its good to add Yoro, Mazroui seems rather average paced too. We need to add pacy wide attackers however.

It can't be a loan, there is no way this guy does enough to earn a permanent transfer. At this point we know he's a fraud, but the rest of the world hasn't caught on, a season in another league doing the same thing will start to make people realize the truth. Then people will look back at that loan to Dortmund and realize he really didn't do anything there either. Then we are really stuck with this overpaid bad influence. I think they need to take whatever they can get to remove the distraction from the club and remove the bad influence from the dressing room.

What, a player who was deemed surplus by a great team and then by a team on roughly our level, is well into his thirties, costs a lot to acquire and will need a lengthy and expensive contract and plays a primary position where we (unlike the team selling him) already have two marquee players? That would be colossally misguided. What's the point of solving the Sancho problem by acquiring a new one?

Firstly, he's obviously being forced out due to Chelsea's financial shenanigans, secondly he's 29 and thirdly, we'd play him right wing, where his competition would be Antony and Amad. Does that change your perspective on any of the above?

Firstly, he's obviously being forced out due to Chelsea's financial shenanigans, secondly he's 29 and thirdly, we'd play him right wing, where his competition would be Antony and Amad. Does that change your perspective on any of the above?

Mea culpa on the age. So make that "about to enter his thirties".

But he's hardly being forced out of Chelsea for financial reasons - they choose to move him on, rather than someone else. And right wing is not his best position (played there in 14 of his last 50 games). He is clearly not a good solution in that position for the longer haul, also considering his cost. So no, that doesn't change my conclusion. If we're thinking in terms of becoming a contender in the space of the next 3 seasons, this is absolutely the sort of move we should not be making.

Last edited:
The only player we should think about swapping with is Chukwuemeka. Would give additional depth for Mainoo and seems like a good future prospect (barring injuries).
Isn't he on over £100k-a-week? I seem to remember Chelsea giving him a very silly contract at 18.

Status
Not open for further replies.