Jadon Sancho | £72.9M fee agreed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had serious last year about the price. Now I just have serious reservations about the player.

At the end of the day that's irrelevant now.

Manchester United have tried to sign him multiple times. Including back when he left City.

He is our managers top target for two years running. The club gave Ole a very poor summer last year.

And at this stage the price fits what he has achieved so we should really just put up the cash or tell Ole he can't have his main target and move on.

I think he'll be worth it in the end.

You guys are mental judging Sancho on one game with England..fecking England, the nation that’s cursed in football.

The player you describe is exactly what we need, not another pacy winger. We struggle to beat compact teams, Sancho is what we need.

But you can't just drop him into the team and expect the same performances. Players like Rashford for example are less reliant on the system because he's always dangerous with his pace. Sancho needs movement around him for his dribbles and one twos. I think the lack of such automatisms and patterns of play are to blame for you struggling against compact defenses. And if you sort that out, the players who are already with you would look much better doing this. Bringing in Sancho would IMO mean that either Rashford will be degraded to a substitution role. Of course Sancho would improve you even further but I fear that he might be considered a flop when he fails to reproduce his Dortmund productivity. And apparebtly you used Pogba on the left in a similar role to Sancho.

I had serious last year about the price. Now I just have serious reservations about the player.

The stats speak a relatively clear language. The only wingers with better overall stats (dribblings, key passes, chance creation, minutes per scorer etc.) are Messi and Neymar. One can argue that Sancho is already among the top 3 in his position and that's incredible in his own right. He's used poorly for England and rught now it seems that you intend to play him in the same fashion.

You guys are mental judging Sancho on one game with England..fecking England, the nation that’s cursed in football.
Yep. Miles better than anything we can put out on the right. Greenwood on the right was pretty useless for 80% of the season too, but then Greenwood opposite to Rashford doesn't work either as neither are creative types. He will just provide so much to us and be a massive improvement.

Im hoping he can do better than the other players who came here from Germany. Wathed him a few times for England now and cant see all the raving of how good he is. Performing against the likes of Paderborn BMG etc isnt the same as performing against, Villa, Everton, West Ham never mind the top teams. I hope I'm wrong and hes not another Kagawa/Mkhitarian.

Im hoping he can do better than the other players who came here from Germany. Wathed him a few times for England now and cant see all the raving of how good he is. Performing against the likes of Paderborn BMG etc isnt the same as performing against, Villa, Everton, West Ham never mind the top teams. I hope I'm wrong and hes not another Kagawa/Mkhitarian.

He is much better than those where in the Bundesliga. He is better than Werner and Havertz where in the Bundesliga.

I'm fact he is better than KDB was in the Bundesliga.

Season after season he has been right up there with Muller and Lewa etc.

All signings are risks and might flop but there is little reason to think Jadon will.

Also he has played in English Football growing up so that's another advantage he has over the others.

He has also had some very decent performances against Bayern over the years.

Didn't manage to beat a single player once. It is an issue - we already have two players out wide that don't dribble. Sancho's got excellent ball control and passing but his tendency against teams that sit back is to pass it back. I really want us to sign someone like Mane, Nani, that can stretch play and not another attacking midfielder. He's better than Kagawa and Mikhi but he's a similar style of player to them.
Higher dribbles per game and key passes per game than Mane - also managed 4 more assists and only 3 fewer goals despite playing 9 less games. Yeah, he plays in a weaker league but he’s also 7 years younger and was poor until January.

This is Sancho at just 18 in the CL away against Spurs. He’s generational and no amount of average performances for England will tell me otherwise.

The below is 18 months back against PSG away - again he hasn’t scored/assisted in this game but everything about him at this age against that quality of opposition just screams quality. Add in the insane productivity he’s shown over the last three years and what a player he’s destined to become.

The Bundesliga defense team can't come soon enough.

He is much better than those where in the Bundesliga. He is better than Werner and Havertz where in the Bundesliga.
That's debatable, as he was in a better team. I actually think he will struggle a bit initially like Havertz before finding his feet.

I think a player like Sancho needs to gel with his teammates to get the best out of him.
Quick passing around the opposition box, knowing where your fellow attackers make runs, etc.
Few sessions with the national team and then straight to a match is probably not the best indicator of what he's capable of.

I'm very excited about him despite some forgettable International friendly games.

Oh really? And how many times is that?

He played today, and yes was poor. Before that he had about 20 minutes v Iceland where he was very good and bagged an assist. Before that he played well vs Kosovo and scored 2 goals.

All in all he's featured in what 3 or 4 games for the main England side? Of which a good bulk is off the bench in a dead rubber format where the match tempo is lost. Nonetheless he's actually done well in the majority of those minutes, and today we have lazy posts like "whenever I see him in an England shirt I want to see him less"
Yeah if I’m honest I haven’t seen a huge amount of him but let’s just say the games I have he hasn’t looked the player I thought he was.

I think most would agree he’s looked average for England on the whole. From what I remember he had a poor start to the Budesliga this season and improved as it went on.

I was just SO stoked for his arrival last season that what I have seen personally since then has been underwhelming.

He would no doubt improve us though as we have no RW.

The player you describe is exactly what we need, not another pacy winger. We struggle to beat compact teams, Sancho is what we need.
I agree, getting sick of pacy widr players who can't break down compact teams. They just lose the ball over and over.

Who are these better options we could sign for the right side?

We have Greenwood and Amad who are developing already so it's not actually the end of the world if Sancho's long term future lies on the left or in the centre, but it will be useful in the short term to have a senior player who has at least shown he can be effective from the right previously (which is more you can say for our current options of Rashford Martial etc. who don't even look like footballers when they play there).

If we have a good alternative lined up then I'm all for it but I'm not sure who the other options are meant to be, our scouting seems to just land on the obvious targets every time so I don't have much faith in us unearthing a gem.

We definitely need attacking reinforcements though, we don't create enough chances, fail to score in too many games and often cannot break down teams in a low block.

There aren;t many and I just don't see why its such a priority. If the right player is available then go for him but there's no point trying to force a player in there who doesn't fit...as we've seen with Rashford. It just harms them and harms the team.

The problem I have with us spending big money on Sancho is the second part of your post. I don't see how he solves that problem. I've seen him play for England and Dortmund quite a lot now and if I'm honest I don't really see what the fuss is about in general, never mind specifically in relation to our right wing. If Greenwood and Rashford are on form or in a similar level of form to him I don't think he even gets in our team, because they are both proven in the Premier league and will deliver both assists and goals. Same applies to Cavani, Fernandes and even Martial (albeit he does the sum total of nothing at all when he isn't on form). Sancho at best you can put into the maybe category in that regard, and he's not really got anything to offer that other players in our team don't already provide. He can't play a pass that Fernandes couldn't both play and spot. He can't beat a player any better than Rashford or Martial could. He can't create space for himself and got a shot away any better than Greenwood. He can keep possession but in the games we struggle in we already have no issue doing that.

If we spend big money on a forward it should be someone who provides that direct goal threat that we lack. Who'll get in the box and get shots off rather than try to play the near impossible pass from 20 yards outside the area 50 times a game. Haaland would have been a very good signing (I'm still completely baffled by us choosing not to sign him). Kane would be a good signing for obvious reasons. Even Cavani being fit and playing all season would have made a big difference. In terms of right sided players I don't think there are too many out there that fit the bill, and we definitely don't need ANOTHER player who can play from the left. So we'd be better off addressing the fact we don't have a functional midfield unless both Fred and McTominay are playing out of their skin, or the fact our defence goes from slightly above average to a fecking shambles because one player gets injured.

We do sometimes have problems breaking teams down, but another problem we have is that often we do break them down and then we'll ruin it by conceding a goal that you would never see a title winning side concede.

He looks average for England but I wouldn’t read too much into that. International friendlies are normally bland and drab affairs. Think Sancho is suited to a different style

There aren;t many and I just don't see why its such a priority. If the right player is available then go for him but there's no point trying to force a player in there who doesn't fit...as we've seen with Rashford. It just harms them and harms the team.

The problem I have with us spending big money on Sancho is the second part of your post. I don't see how he solves that problem. I've seen him play for England and Dortmund quite a lot now and if I'm honest I don't really see what the fuss is about in general, never mind specifically in relation to our right wing. If Greenwood and Rashford are on form or in a similar level of form to him I don't think he even gets in our team, because they are both proven in the Premier league and will deliver both assists and goals. Same applies to Cavani, Fernandes and even Martial (albeit he does the sum total of nothing at all when he isn't on form). Sancho at best you can put into the maybe category in that regard, and he's not really got anything to offer that other players in our team don't already provide. He can't play a pass that Fernandes couldn't both play and spot. He can't beat a player any better than Rashford or Martial could. He can't create space for himself and got a shot away any better than Greenwood. He can keep possession but in the games we struggle in we already have no issue doing that.

If we spend big money on a forward it should be someone who provides that direct goal threat that we lack. Who'll get in the box and get shots off rather than try to play the near impossible pass from 20 yards outside the area 50 times a game. Haaland would have been a very good signing (I'm still completely baffled by us choosing not to sign him). Kane would be a good signing for obvious reasons. Even Cavani being fit and playing all season would have made a big difference. In terms of right sided players I don't think there are too many out there that fit the bill, and we definitely don't need ANOTHER player who can play from the left. So we'd be better off addressing the fact we don't have a functional midfield unless both Fred and McTominay are playing out of their skin, or the fact our defence goes from slightly above average to a fecking shambles because one player gets injured.

We do sometimes have problems breaking teams down, but another problem we have is that often we do break them down and then we'll ruin it by conceding a goal that you would never see a title winning side concede.
The reason the right side is seen as a priority is because realistically we have just 1 first team player who can play there currently (Greenwood) - he's a young player who was poor for the first 2/3 of the season just gone, he's tipped to be a striker long term and his strength lies almost purely in scoring goals rather than creating them. We basically played the first 2/3 of the season without any threat from the right because Greenwood is the only player who is comfortable there and he was contributing nothing.

Statistically we already score more goals than we should given how few chances we create, we've actually been very clinical. If we want to get anywhere near the title we need some attacking reinforcements that will have us creating more chances.

If Sancho isn't the answer, then our scouting department need to earn their keep and find the answer, because we can't continue neglecting this position.

Last edited:
Trippier would make a lot more sense with a playmaker like Sancho than AWB does. We have a tendency towards signing individuals without developing to team to properly utilise them, Mkhitaryan springs to mind. Hopefully we'll get it right this time.

Last edited:
The reason the right side is seen as a priority is because realistically we have just 1 first team player who can play there currently (Greenwood) - he's a young player who was poor for the first 2/3 of the season just gone, he's tipped to be a striker long term and his strength lies almost purely in scoring goals rather than creating them. We basically played the first 2/3 of the season without any threat from the right because Greenwood is the only player who is comfortable there and he was contributing nothing.

Statistically we already score more goals than we should given how few chances we create, we've been very clinical. If we want to get anywhere near the title we need some attacking reinforcements that will have us creating more chances.
I think we need to renovate both positions on the right really. Greenwood as you say hardly creates anything and is almost entirely dependent on having chances created for him to have an impact and AWB's skillset is almost completely based on his tackling ability. The players arent bad players obviously but its an area that for most teams is one of the key creative channels but for us is totally dysfunctional in that respect.

Where does this idea we are buying him to exclusively play on the right come from? My guess would be Ole wants a fluid forward line. There's not doubt he can play well there but he's not going to always play there over 90 minutes, nevermind an entire season. The club imo is looking for competition for places. A player that would give Rashford, Martial, Greenwood and co real food for thought about poor performances.
I am seeing a lot of people saying Sancho isn't a natural RW but in another thread asking for Grealish instead. Doesn't make sense to me.
Imo, there are only two rational reasons for not signing him.
  • He's not good enough
  • How would it affect Diallo
The first is impossible to tell but I don't understand how anyone who watches him regularly can say so. He has a number of games where he's quiet, like all attackers but even on poor days comes ion with key moments that can break teams. His decision making in the final third (something out attackers are very poor at) is very good. Imo he's the kind of player that doesn't just play well he elevates those around hum cause he plays with his head up. Saying all that, it is until he's here before we can judge.
The second about Diallo is also baseless imo. Sancho or no Sancho, Diallo is going to be a squad olayer next season who wont play most games. Sancho is a player that would probably start most games. Imo, it is players like Mata and James who will steal minutes from Diallo not Sancho.

We have Mata and Diallo as players with good link up and passing skills as opposed to fast dribblers. The former was barely used this year against packed defences cause Ole never rotates. The latter should be getting his chance next season.

Really we have 3 players that can play on the left (Rashford, Martial, James) and 3 on the right (Greenwood, Mata, Diallo). I'm really not sure where Sancho fits and whether he would make much of a difference for the money he will cost. Greenwood and Rashfords numbers are already very solid. We'll have more depth and we can move Mata on but that's it. It would negatively impact Diallo's development as well, as others have mentioned. What was the point of signing him if we're gonna get Sancho next year.
For me I’d think our priority should be DM>CB>RWF. But after losing out on Europa league, I really felt we should go make a Sancho signing to make a statement of intent first. After we bought him, both Mata and James could leave, so we will have these options instead:

Left: Rashford, Sancho, Martial
Center: Cavani, Martial, Greenwood
Right: Sancho, Greenwood, Diallo

That’s a total 6 players for 3 attacking position. Is it too many? I don’t know. But least to say our main rivals City does have similar squad size.
Hopefully in future Greenwood would fit in no.9 role, if that’s the case we can have this for many years to come:

Sancho Greenwood Rashford

Main subs/squad rotation: Diallo, Martial

Which is quite reasonable.

Only problem is, if Diallo also turns out to be worldclass player, he may not even entertain to just play in squad rotation role in future many years here, so one of Rashford/Sancho/Diallo might tempted to leave at one point. But that’s the least of our concern for the time being.

Last edited:
Dan James will have to be sold if we buy Sancho.

This isn't the downside that you think it is.

Edit: my bad, I see now that you were agreeing he should be sold. Carry on then.

Last edited:

I'm fact he is better than KDB was in the Bundesliga.

Season after season he has been right up there with Muller and Lewa etc.

All signings are risks and might flop but there is little reason to think Jadon will.

Also he has played in English Football growing up so that's another advantage he has over the others.

He has also had some very decent performances against Bayern over the years.

Is it so? KDB was best player in Germany in 2014-2015, winning multiple Bundesliga Player of the Year/Germany best player awards. He has scored 15 goals and 25 assists (total 40) despite playing in midfield. Avg rating was 7.95.

Sancho never win any player of year award in Germany, his best season he scored 19 goals and 18 assists (total 37) but playing in forward position, with avg rating of 7.64.

I’d say KDB was clearly better as his stats is more impressive despite playing in less advance position, he had higher avg rating and also won multiple player of year awards in Germany.

Every time I watched him I got scared that we were buying a slightly better version of Walcott or Aaron Lennon For the RW.

However, it just reminds me that Martial’s time is up here and that Sancho can be the LW that competes for another position at RW like Martial is a LW fighting for CF position or vice versa.

I think a player like Sancho needs to gel with his teammates to get the best out of him.
Quick passing around the opposition box, knowing where your fellow attackers make runs, etc.
Few sessions with the national team and then straight to a match is probably not the best indicator of what he's capable of.

I'm very excited about him despite some forgettable International friendly games.
You make it sounds like Sancho will really hit it off with Van De Beek and Bruno.

Plus he's 4 years younger and surrounded by quality players coming in from the left. Sancho hasn't been good, but he's not getting much support on the right.
The same story will happen at Manchester United, because AWB doesn't offer much going forward either. If that's the case, I'm really worried about how Sancho will perform here.

Every time I watched him I got scared that we were buying a slightly better version of Walcott or Aaron Lennon For the RW.

However, it just reminds me that Martial’s time is up here and that Sancho can be the LW that competes for another position at RW like Martial is a LW fighting for CF position or vice versa.
I actually think sancho in the team is great for martial as its another player he can play well with. Similar to mata we need more attacking players with a good first touch.

Love how many people are prepared to judge a player based on a sample size of one friendly game in a second string national side over a consistent three-year body of work.

With Sancho actually, I think the big thing is that he does actually give us something that none of the other wide players provide. He's a creator. All our other attackers are wide forwards (not Amad as he's 18 and far away from starting level if we're honest, but he'd be the only creative type), shooters primarily, definitely not players who are creative or look for the pass before scoring or players who provide much in terms of creative/progressive passing. Sancho is on a different planet compared to the one's we have. It's why we played Pogba from the left pretty frequently to close the season. Rashford and Greenwood both playing together on the wings just don't suit each other, at all. Both want to come inside and take shots, neither are creative. Rashford does a bit more with his passing but Greenwood is pretty much just a pure shooter (and I love him, he's a brilliant young player, but IMO he's for sure going to be a striker long term anyway). We have enough shooters in our team. Our #9 is a poacher. Our left winger is a shooter. Bruno Fernandes is a brilliant all round player, but he's probably an even split of creativity and shooting. From the right, we have 0 creativity whatsoever. Shaw has improved loads on that which is great, and why he balances Rashford well, but that does nothing for our right side balance.

Just look at their underlying stats. There is a world of difference in terms of style of player Sancho is compared to Rashford or Greenwood. England have the complete opposite problem to United. All their wide players are creative wingers who like coming short and getting on the ball, with only Rashford being a forward who likes running in behind and taking shots. Sterling is a bit of a blend these days, but he's more a dribbler with the ball so he works for them. With United, we have no creative wide players. We have a 19 year old forward on our right wing, and then an inside forward on our left wing. And then a support striker behind a classic number 9, with no creativity coming from the deeper mids or from right back. It's a team that needs more creators and less shooters if anything. The graph below shows that exactly. Sancho is far more involved in build up play, gets on the ball a lot more and a lot deeper, provides a lot more in terms of creative and progressive passing, dribbles at a far better success rate than any player we have and more consistently, while providing an OK level of shooting. That's perfect to compliment whoever is playing opposite to him, which would be mainly Rashford, but sometimes Greenwood with Sancho on the left, or sometimes Martial even I'm sure. It'd give us an excellent group who are actually different types of players now, with the versatility to play many pairings, proper rotation and competition where whatever pairing we do, we aren't dropping in quality (like City right now, with Mahrez, Sterling, Foden, Bernardo Silva).

Rashford is an inside forward who provides a solid level of final ball, but his strength lies in his goal threat and dribbling. Greenwood is a forward who provides safe passing and safe dribbling, but even more so reliant on his shooting and goalscoring instinct. Sancho is a creator whose strength lies in his dribbling and passing, but can provide some goals as well, which is exactly what we need. He's done this for a full season on the right wing, done it for a full season on the left wing, and has done it plenty as the 10 as well. He's just a versatile, quality attacking player that fills a need, is 21 years old who is proven to have played at a world class level for 3 years now, and among the most creative players in world football over the pass 3 years. He's a no brainer signing and would be worth every penny.

Higher dribbles per game and key passes per game than Mane - also managed 4 more assists and only 3 fewer goals despite playing 9 less games. Yeah, he plays in a weaker league but he’s also 7 years younger and was poor until January.

This is Sancho at just 18 in the CL away against Spurs. He’s generational and no amount of average performances for England will tell me otherwise.

The below is 18 months back against PSG away - again he hasn’t scored/assisted in this game but everything about him at this age against that quality of opposition just screams quality. Add in the insane productivity he’s shown over the last three years and what a player he’s destined to become.

The videos kind of prove my point though - see the PSG video, nutmegged Di Maria at the start but then pretty much lost the ball every other time he took a man on. His best attribute is his passing - it's top tier on the run. But that doesn't make him a generational talent, nowhere near. Ignoring Messi and Ronaldo who were a world apart at Sancho's age, the next tier of generational talents with the likes of Neymar, Bale and Suarez all had a lot, lot more than Sancho currently has, and is likely to get in the next 3-4 years.

For example - compared to Mbappe, Sancho is clearly the better passer. But Mbappe is far higher rated. Why? Because he's much more explosive in the dribble, has greater acceleration with the ball in the final third which is rarer to find. Good passers are much easier to find, as we've seen in the past from Dormund with Mikhi and Kagawa who put up similar numbers (goals wise) for Dortmund to Sancho.

I mean don't get me wrong, I do think Sancho's a very good player, I remember watching him against Bayern a couple of seasons ago and he tore it up against them. It's just £80m for a wide forward whose best attributes is making passes and not dribbling is very risky for us when we already have wide players in Rashford and Greenwood that are good at it but rarely beat a man on the dribble.

And fyi - I was talking about Mane pre-this season. His legs this season have completely gone. But his ability to run at defences at beat a man was a real threat. Look at his dribbling at the same age as Sancho - it's much more explosive than Sanchos'. Having that extra acceleration is a real tool against teams that sit back.

Last edited:

He is really nothing at all like Walcott or Aaron Lennon.... he's not that fast over long distances, he's not a kick and run merchant in any way. He's a smart and extremely creative passer, a brilliant close dribbler, and a very efficient player in general. He's proven to be one of the very best and most creative wingers in the world, and I forget the stats but he's been pretty much up there with Messi over the past few years in terms of creativity around Europe. Walcott and Sancho are just.... extremely different players. I'd sooner compare him to Hazard stylistically.

Where does this idea we are buying him to exclusively play on the right come from? My guess would be Ole wants a fluid forward line. There's not doubt he can play well there but he's not going to always play there over 90 minutes, nevermind an entire season. The club imo is looking for competition for places. A player that would give Rashford, Martial, Greenwood and co real food for thought about poor performances.
I am seeing a lot of people saying Sancho isn't a natural RW but in another thread asking for Grealish instead. Doesn't make sense to me.
Imo, there are only two rational reasons for not signing him.
  • He's not good enough
  • How would it affect Diallo
The first is impossible to tell but I don't understand how anyone who watches him regularly can say so. He has a number of games where he's quiet, like all attackers but even on poor days comes ion with key moments that can break teams. His decision making in the final third (something out attackers are very poor at) is very good. Imo he's the kind of player that doesn't just play well he elevates those around hum cause he plays with his head up. Saying all that, it is until he's here before we can judge.
The second about Diallo is also baseless imo. Sancho or no Sancho, Diallo is going to be a squad olayer next season who wont play most games. Sancho is a player that would probably start most games. Imo, it is players like Mata and James who will steal minutes from Diallo not Sancho.
Yep exactly. Amad just isn't a reason against Sancho. He's 18. He's barely played. When he has played, he has look physically tiny and very far away, like Angel Gomes was. Technically, yeah he looks excellent, but we as a team are at a point where we want to make a push for the title, for trophies. We won't do that by reserving a spot in the starting 11, 3 years from now, for Amad Diallo and hoping he just comes good. We aren't Dortmund who just save spots for development in the starting 11. We can do that in the squad, and have a plan for him in the squad, but he'll have to force his way into the starting 11 just like everyone else. There are 3 years between Sancho and Amad, and 5 years between Rashford and Amad. Literally by the time Amad starts entering his peak, Rashford will likely be leaving his peak anyway. Not to mention there are so many games to go around that having a good set of attackers to rotate around is perfect to provide both competition and rest without dropping levels, and game changers on the bench.

As for the not good enough reason... again, just don't understand it past people just saying "oh it's the bundesliga and Dortmund, he's probably just Kagawa or Mkhitaryan" (which is complete bullshit anyway). He's literally been one of the very best wingers in the world for 3 years and is one of the most elite u21 players out there. He'd be a brilliant signing and perfect to round out our attack, for this season at least, before we (maybe) need to get a striker next summer.

Whoah this thread is bonkers. People really expect him to be the next Messi it seems. He's brilliant and suits us perfectly but relax your expectations - he's 21. I'm sure people consider Bruno to be a game changer and worth 80 million. Does he look it everytime he steps on the pitch for Portugal? Nope.

We have Mata and Diallo as players with good link up and passing skills as opposed to fast dribblers. The former was barely used this year against packed defences cause Ole never rotates. The latter should be getting his chance next season.

Really we have 3 players that can play on the left (Rashford, Martial, James) and 3 on the right (Greenwood, Mata, Diallo). I'm really not sure where Sancho fits and whether he would make much of a difference for the money he will cost. Greenwood and Rashfords numbers are already very solid. We'll have more depth and we can move Mata on but that's it. It would negatively impact Diallo's development as well, as others have mentioned. What was the point of signing him if we're gonna get Sancho next year.

Greenwood, Rashford, Martial, Cavani are natural goal scorers. Their first instinct is to shoot, score or even some of those players tend to do long shoot that impossible for a goal. This type of instinct what cost us in some of our draw games because they tend to make the wrong decision making and end up wasting an opportunity. James is not a natural goal scorer but he also kind of similar in term of making poor decision making.

Decision making on the ball in the final third is not something you can coach, it requires talent. Bruno has much better decision making in his final third, he knows when he needs to shoot and when he needs to pass the ball. Sancho has the same talent in his decision making in the final third and that’s where Sancho can make huge difference in the team. Instead of having 3 natural goalscorers in our XI supported by Bruno alone, we will have 2 natural goalscorers supported by playmaking instinct players like Sancho & Bruno. It will add more balance and improvement in our creating chances quality which has potential to change those 0-0 draws we had. Diallo and Sancho in, Mata and James out.

Love how many people are prepared to judge a player based on a sample size of one friendly game in a second string national side over a consistent three-year body of work.
I think that is because people are being cautious and don’t necessarily trust stats/performances fully in BL, as there were high number of high profile “flops” exported from BL to PL over recent years:

In terms of their best season in Germany vs England:

Mkhitaryan
- 13G 20A in Dortmund (33), avg rating 7.9
- 10G 1A in Man Utd (11), avg rating 6.9

Kagawa
- 14G 8A in Dortmund (22), avg rating 7.48
- 6G 5A in Man Utd (11), avg rating 6.84

Werner
- 32G 10A in RBL (42), avg rating 7.60
- 10G 10A in Chelsea (20), avg rating 6.81

Havertz
- 16G 8A in Leverkusen (24), avg rating 7.43
- 5G 5A in Chelsea (10), avg rating 6.60

Following the same pattern, people might reserved their judgement on whether Sancho will become instant hit or not in PL.

Sancho
- 19G 18A in Dortmund (37), avg rating 7.64

As you can see Sancho isn’t necessarily better than the players mentioned above in BL. They are all performing in similar level with similar output in respect to their position in BL. So time to tell whether he would justify his hype and price tags in PL.

But of course there are also exception:

KDB
- 15G 25A in Wolfsburg (40), avg rating 7.95
- 15G 22A in City (37), avg rating 7.97

Aubameyang
- 38G 3A in Dortmund (41), avg rating 7.43
- 30G 7A in Arsenal (37), avg rating 7.10

So let’s hope Sancho would turn out to be KDB/Aubameyang rather than Mikhit/Kagawa/Werner/Havertz

Last edited:
Sancho has the same talent in his decision making in the final third and that’s where Sancho can make huge difference in the team. Instead of having 3 natural goalscorers in our XI supported by Bruno alone, we will have 2 natural goalscorers supported by playmaking instinct players like Sancho & Bruno. It will add more balance and improvement in our creating chances quality which has potential to change those 0-0 draws we had. Diallo and Sancho in, Mata and James out.

This.

When teams man-mark Bruno and we become a very predictable team. This is a squad depth issue once again -- you cant just man-mark KDB with City. You can with United at the moment with some success.

Status
Not open for further replies.