Jadon Sancho | £72.9M fee agreed

Status
Not open for further replies.
The videos kind of prove my point though - see the PSG video, nutmegged Di Maria at the start but then pretty much lost the ball every other time he took a man on. His best attribute is his passing - it's top tier on the run. But that doesn't make him a generational talent, nowhere near. Ignoring Messi and Ronaldo who were a world apart at Sancho's age, the next tier of generational talents with the likes of Neymar, Bale and Suarez all had a lot, lot more than Sancho currently has, and is likely to get in the next 3-4 years.

For example - compared to Mbappe, Sancho is clearly the better passer. But Mbappe is far higher rated. Why? Because he's much more explosive in the dribble, has greater acceleration with the ball in the final third which is rarer to find. Good passers are much easier to find, as we've seen in the past from Dormund with Mikhi and Kagawa who put up similar numbers (goals wise) for Dortmund to Sancho.

I mean don't get me wrong, I do think Sancho's a very good player, I remember watching him against Bayern a couple of seasons ago and he tore it up against them. It's just £80m for a wide forward whose best attributes is making passes and not dribbling is very risky for us when we already have wide players in Rashford and Greenwood that are good at it but rarely beat a man on the dribble.

And fyi - I was talking about Mane pre-this season. His legs this season have completely gone. But his ability to run at defences at beat a man was a real threat. Look at his dribbling at the same age as Sancho - it's much more explosive than Sanchos'. Having that extra acceleration is a real tool against teams that sit back.
Which talents aged 18-20 for most of their performances performed like Sancho has in the past 2 decades? You can even include the Dutch league.

Mikhi and Kagawa did not put up similar numbers. Never had the consistency. Mikhi was a 1 season wonder and was already around age 24-25. Kagawa had an injury so it's a bit unfair, but even his best seasons weren't as good as Sancho's despite Sancho being younger.

Neymar at the same age was playing in Brazil. Dominating at a level that Sancho didn't reach, but again, it was in Brazil.

I agree, getting sick of pacy widr players who can't break down compact teams. They just lose the ball over and over.
Yes, and aside from Cavani, we don't even have a striker who can consistently put away crosses from this mythical, pacy, touchline hugging right winger.

Has there been any news today or just more arguing over how good he is (or isn’t)?
I think people tend to forget Utd are a listed conpany, therefore we would need to make an announcement to the stock exchange if were going to be signing Sancho for the the amount mentioned.

So one way potentially of knowing if a big signing is coming in or due to be announced is to keep an eye on our share price. As word always gets out unofficially before the offical announcement and the share price goes up.

I think people tend to forget Utd are a listed conpany, therefore we would need to make an announcement to the stock exchange if were going to be signing Sancho for the the amount mentioned.

So one way potentially of knowing if a big signing is coming in or due to be announced is to keep an eye on our share price. As word always gets out unofficially before the offical announcement and the share price goes up.
:lol:

The biggest worry is regardless of the quality, United and England do play with a left sided bias so there's a lot of build up play to support a player. When someone on the right gets the ball they have a lot to do on their own or by the time support comes it's too late as the right side comes second. With United it can also break down with AWB and the links for Trippier are not certain, he's the sort of player we should've brought in a few years ago. This isn't about one England game, it's many and United will be doing a similar thing.

With compact defences we need a lot more than slotting him on the right but for our general play and counter attacks Sancho will be a big improvement on James who has let us down. I've seen Sancho do excellent from the right on breaks, we should be even more dangerous. if we can expand our play to breakdown defences Sancho again will be effective but this will come down to more coaching to spread the play around to stretch teams with tighter passing.

With Rashford getting overplayed and requiring surgery, not so good options and an oddball in Martial, Sancho would be a very good signing for either left or right but many players out there favour the left, he would probably thrive and score more from there. I think there's enough to warrant the signing but our biggest problem is conceding too many goals and play breaking down with Fred, McTom and AWB. We might have to fix other areas next season, these targets can take a while so it's not like flicking a switch, just hope people don't expect German league numbers, before he kicked a ball for England I've said he'll probably do about half here as more teams sit back.

:lol: ffs

I imagine we are planning to sign him for the RW, given he excelled when playing there for Dortmund.
He's wily and creative, although his pace isn't the quickest.
Feels like he can be a Hazard-ish type player, although I wonder how he'll play on the right.

Even if he's not a massive success, having a player there who can stretch the play to open up space for everyone else would be a massive addition to our team.

I'm deeply sick of watching an empty half of the pitch while our entire lineup tries to find ways of bulldozing a brick wall on the left.

Get Sancho and loan Amad out will be perfect.

We get the player we want and Amad can get more minutes.

Problem for England yesterday is he's expected to do it all on his own on the right wing with a RB behind him with no attacking skills whatsoever. The one time he trotted into the centre and combined with Grealish, they sliced them open like a hot knife through butter.

Players generally don't shine for England anyway, there's too many square pegs in round holes. If you looked at these two friendlies, who really came out with any credit? Grealish, but I'm struggling beyond that, because they were such dull affairs.

The fear I have with Sancho is we are clearly buying him to play on the right, and yet I think his better work is done on the left/through the middle.

Problem for England yesterday is he's expected to do it all on his own on the right wing with a RB behind him with no attacking skills whatsoever. The one time he trotted into the centre and combined with Grealish, they sliced them open like a hot knife through butter.

Players generally don't shine for England anyway, there's too many square pegs in round holes. If you looked at these two friendlies, who really came out with any credit? Grealish, but I'm struggling beyond that, because they were such dull affairs.

The fear I have with Sancho is we are clearly buying him to play on the right, and yet I think his better work is done on the left/through the middle.
Think he'll initially start on the left for us, with Rashford going for surgery after the Euros.

Is it so? KDB was best player in Germany in 2014-2015, winning multiple Bundesliga Player of the Year/Germany best player awards. He has scored 15 goals and 25 assists (total 40) despite playing in midfield. Avg rating was 7.95.

Sancho never win any player of year award in Germany, his best season he scored 19 goals and 18 assists (total 37) but playing in forward position, with avg rating of 7.64.

I’d say KDB was clearly better as his stats is more impressive despite playing in less advance position, he had higher avg rating and also won multiple player of year awards in Germany.
I took it as referring to De Bruyne's time on loan at Bremen when he was almost as young as Sancho still is.

The biggest worry is regardless of the quality, United and England do play with a left sided bias so there's a lot of build up play to support a player. When someone on the right gets the ball they have a lot to do on their own or by the time support comes it's too late as the right side comes second. With United it can also break down with AWB and the links for Trippier are not certain, he's the sort of player we should've brought in a few years ago. This isn't about one England game, it's many and United will be doing a similar thing.

We play down the left because we don't have anybody on the right. With Sancho there that would change, AWB might never be a Dani Alves but he would certainly improve with a better player ahead of him. He does get forward remember just there is never anybody there to link up with. Sancho would improve our right flank partly by bringing more out of AWB, and also make our left more effective as teams would no longer be able to focus exclusively on them.

I took it as referring to De Bruyne's time on loan at Bremen when he was almost as young as Sancho still is.
Oh ok, but players develop at different age, especially those playing in different position. Usually wing forward develops earlier than midfielder.

Oh ok, but players develop at different age, especially those playing in different position. Usually wing forward develops earlier than midfielder.

I think you will find very few fans of Bundesliga clubs who agree with you that de Bruyne was better for Wolfsburg than Sancho is for Dortmund. I wouldn't even say it's particularly close. Sancho for me is the best Bundesliga player together with Lewandowski and the biggest talent the league has seen. Significantly better than Havertz was for us and I say that as a Leverkusen fan, mind.

I think you will find very few fans of Bundesliga clubs who agree with you that de Bruyne was better for Wolfsburg than Sancho is for Dortmund. I wouldn't even say it's particularly close. Sancho for me is the best Bundesliga player together with Lewandowski and the biggest talent the league has seen. Significantly better than Havertz was for us and I say that as a Leverkusen fan, mind.
Never.

I saw Bundesliga, and De Bruyne is the biggest Talent I have ever seen in the last 10 Years in the Bundesliga. He was like cheating in Wolfsburg. Talent Wise I put him higher then Lewandowski.

Sancho is good but against low block , he seems useless.

I for one would agree, De Bruyne's full Wolfsburg season was something else in terms of influence.
But it's a moot argument, since saying that Sancho didn't yet have quite such a monster season as De Bruyne had at an older age, at a team with very different circumstances, is really nothing at all against Sancho. Sancho's the real deal, it's clear.

It's a silly comparison anyway, even if not quite as silly as the one to Kagawa or Mkhitaryan :lol:

What i like about Sancho is his ability to create from the wing will help us in the game when teams pack the middle to snuff out Bruno. Currently, our wide forwards do not really create much for our striker. Sancho (or a player like him) would add a new dimension to our attack.

We have to get this deal agreed today! I can’t see how we fit his medical in once the Euros start. And there’s a risk that if he has a good euros then Dortmund will boost his price tag up.

We have to get this deal agreed today! I can’t see how we fit his medical in once the Euros start. And there’s a risk that if he has a good euros then Dortmund will boost his price tag up.
Agree a contract now and sign it depending on the medical, schedule that medical for after the Euro seems to be a sensible solution for this. But would also mean that this thread would have a lot of time to blow up when it is announced only after the medical, when the transfer will actually be effective.

Yeah if I’m honest I haven’t seen a huge amount of him but let’s just say the games I have he hasn’t looked the player I thought he was.

I think most would agree he’s looked average for England on the whole. From what I remember he had a poor start to the Budesliga this season and improved as it went on.

I was just SO stoked for his arrival last season that what I have seen personally since then has been underwhelming.

He would no doubt improve us though as we have no RW.
Outside of yesterday, which England games were you underwhelmed by. Also I don't think most people are saying the same - because he's barely played England.

Get Sancho and loan Amad
Don't think this is necessary. Amad can still get a lot of games to develop if we manage the squad well. For one, there is no justification for extending Mata's contract. Daniel James can also be made surplus to requirements. Amad will get a lot of games if Ole is bold enough to play him.

Dortmund should obtain around €95m from the sale of Jadon Sancho to Manchester United. There's still not been any official contact from United's representatives, but this is only due to the fact that the framework for an agreement is openly on the table.

Really hope we get this one over the line before the Euros.

I’m always a bit sceptical when we sign a young player and people say “that’s our defence/midfield/attack sorted for the next 5-10 years” as things can change very quickly in football as players don’t always develop as you anticipate or may not stay at the club as long as you had hoped. However, in this case, the prospect of having Rashford 23, Greenwood 19 and Sancho 21 all at our club would be as close to a guarantee as you could get. All young. All English. Rashford and Greenwood both academy graduates and therefore hopefully would stay loyal. Sancho not from the academy but has already sampled playing abroad so would hopefully stay for his best years. All 3 bring something a bit different and could be effective together as a front 3. Of course we would need to have alternatives in the squad with different attributes such as a more orthodox number 9 but we know there is always a good market for some high quality short-term options that we could dip into (Zlatan, Cavani, Aguero etc) to keep the attack fresh.

For those discussing Sancho’s level and whether he’s good enough... what matters is that he’s another quality player to add to our arsenal. He may not come in and be our best player or have the impact that Bruno had but he’s another player that will come in and contribute goals and assists. There have been plenty of occasions throughout the season when we have been short of attacking options - the Europa final being the most obvious one - but also periods earlier in the season where Greenwood was struggling for form and Cavani was often unavailable. Having Sancho would mean we could hopefully avoid any of these lean spells.

Also, bear in mind we scored >120 goals last season despite our problems. So the prospect of having Sancho, who has always managed to be productive despite being a young player, and also hopefully a full season of the Greenwood and Cavani we saw in the 2nd half of last season, it’s all very exciting. We will have a formidable attack and at 21 Sancho still has room for improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.