Jadon Sancho | £72.9M fee agreed

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need an absolute game changer for £80m. It's a lot of money. I hope he's that guy, but I don't watch a lot of Dortmund games so I only really have a poor sample of games to judge him from and they all happen to be games where he has looked a bit average.

I did mention it as I was responding to the part about hive mind.

PE Teacher part was in reference to me predicting what people would use to bitch and moan if we don’t get him as that’s what would be said.

The CAF definitely has a swing one way or another when it comes to things about Man Utd. It definitely has a hive mind in large sections on certain issues

Why did you quote my post if you're not going to remotely acknowledge it :wenger:

What does the "PE teacher" argument have to do with the rest of the post which is about transfers.

What do you mean by "it's caf all over". The caf isn't a single person or a hive mind. You just choose to see it that way.

who looks good playing for England though? I don't want to be disrespectful but I don't remember many England's NT shinning... Wasn't Rooney often hammered for his performance too?
I bet english players rarely make the best XI in international competitions

Not sure I have ever seen him perform well in a game that isn't a Bundesliga game. Tends to underwhelm in UCL games too.

We need an absolute game changer for £80m. It's a lot of money. I hope he's that guy, but I don't watch a lot of Dortmund games so I only really have a poor sample of games to judge him from and they all happen to be games where he has looked a bit average.
He's the best you can buy for money this side of Mbappé. There's noone better, it's as simple as that. If that's not good enough for you, it's not Sancho's fault.

He's never been deployed to provide width from the right like a winger would.

Are we looking for a traditional rw that hugs the touchline? We haven't had one of those since Valencia and very few top teams play with this sort of winger anymore. He can still deliver good crosses from the right even if he's at his best a little more central (in the position between a traditional cam and traditional rw). I would argue this is the case for almost all of the best wingers/attackers today.

Always good to be judging a player off International friendlies.

We wouldn't be looking for a winger who hugs the touchline, we don't have that on the left either. IT's not really how we play, or how many top teams play anymore.

I do think the people with not much patience with Rashford are probably going to have a similar feeling with Sancho, although I think Sancho's decision making is miles ahead of Rashford's.

like our Rooney's deal that was as smooth and as promising as you'll get back then. It feels kind of similar with Sancho who still haven't tapped the lid of his electrifying talent. He's as elegant as it gets with his class first touch. His decision making already can be counted as one of his main strength and will only gets better with age

just pay the money and lets move on to Varan and trippier and swap pogba for ronaldo. It's a favour Fat raiola should give back by getting us Halland next season.

E3CiScJXMAInjJH

Not sure I have ever seen him perform well in a game that isn't a Bundesliga game. Tends to underwhelm in UCL games too.

He did really well in the CL this season. He got 2 goals and 3 assists in 6 games (4 starts). Got injured for QF stage.

He's the best you can buy for money this side of Mbappé. There's noone better, it's as simple as that. If that's not good enough for you, it's not Sancho's fault.
I know he's done well over there, but I just have a slight concern about players being able to carry over their success in the Bundesliga to the Premier League. There's been a number of players who have looked good over there and haven't quite shone over here.

who looks good playing for England though? I don't want to be disrespectful but I don't remember many England's NT shinning... Wasn't Rooney often hammered for his performance too?
I bet english players rarely make the best XI in international competitions
Apart from Grealish none of the attackers have. It says a lot that they are already discussing set plays and how Ward-Prowse should go because he could be so important for that. Southgate has a luxury of riches but is going to mismanage them.

Are we looking for a traditional rw that hugs the touchline? We haven't had one of those since Valencia and very few top teams play with this sort of winger anymore. He can still deliver good crosses from the right even if he's at his best a little more central (in the position between a traditional cam and traditional rw). I would argue this is the case for almost all of the best wingers/attackers today.
I agree.

But most of the best wingers/attackers in the game today are deployed as inverted wingers who cut in on their favoured foot.

Exactly, they now play with inverted wingers for a reason.

I know he's done well over there, but I just have a slight concern about players being able to carry over their success in the Bundesliga to the Premier League. There's been a number of players who have looked good over there and haven't quite shone over here.

I get this thinking, but he's an English talent, made here, he was destined to be this good with or without the move to Germany. It's not like he's come out of nowhere, he's been highly rated since he 16 or thereabouts. If City had believed in him, you'd be seeing him doing it in the PL instead of over there, I've no doubts.

Well, as I said, you'll have to make it work, just as with any player. He's still just a kid. But he has the quality to play for anyone anywhere, there's no doubt about it. I said I was going to be jealous, and I mean it.
All you should do is sit back in joyful anticipation and be thankful you support a club that can still attract and pay such a talented player.

He actually looks like he'd be more comfortable on the left where he can use his stronger foot to thread passes through when he comes inside, and we already have a problem of nearly all our attacking players wanting to play there. On the right he reminds me of when we used to play Lingard there (in terms of his positioning)...in that he basically doesn't play there.

I'd rather we get a midfielder in and a centreback. If we need another forward either a CF for when Cavani can't play or someone who actually will play from the right and offer a goal or assist threat from there are far better suited options. Not that I don't rate Greenwood but if we're going to sign more attacking players they should be players who offer something we don't already have. Otherwise half way through next season we'll have Rashford back on the right, Pogba and Sancho playing on the left at the same time, and it'll be 0-1 to Burnley in the 88th minute.
Who are these better options we could sign for the right side?

We have Greenwood and Amad who are developing already so it's not actually the end of the world if Sancho's long term future lies on the left or in the centre, but it will be useful in the short term to have a senior player who has at least shown he can be effective from the right previously (which is more you can say for our current options of Rashford Martial etc. who don't even look like footballers when they play there).

If we have a good alternative lined up then I'm all for it but I'm not sure who the other options are meant to be, our scouting seems to just land on the obvious targets every time so I don't have much faith in us unearthing a gem.

We definitely need attacking reinforcements though, we don't create enough chances, fail to score in too many games and often cannot break down teams in a low block.

People get too worried about where he’d play.

We’d have Rashford, Sancho, Greenwood & Diallo for both wings. It’d be plenty of game time for the 4 of them.

Sancho can play either side, and probably as a 10 if needed too.

We’d have Rashford, Sancho, Greenwood & Diallo for both wings. It’d be plenty of game time for the 4 of them.

And let's not forget there's a strong chance Rashford will need an op at some point, putting him out for quite some time.

And let's not forget there's a strong chance Rashford will need an op at some point, putting him out for quite some time.
There's Martial too, think the post had forgotten about him!

People watch a player once and suddenly decide he's not very good :wenger:

I'm sure they would have said the same about Kane in the last friendly too.

You have to admit our rivals often do their business earlier and more efficiently. Check Chelsea last summer and Liverpool with Jota as recent examples. I can’t have supporters defending our transfer methodology these days. This sancho thing has just rumbled on and on and here we go again for another summer of it most likely.

A lot of the time it's because United gives journalists clout, more than any other team and there is probably less of a merry-go-round in reality than what the media paint.

Last season it was probably a case of both teams with different valuations and they were never met and this was probably decided at the early stage of the window, but the media gave stories of personal terms being agreed, signing being imminent, Dortmund rejecting United, United resuming their interest, to then cool their interest etc. and it was the media who benefited from it. If you believe all of that then fair play, but I doubt half of this even happened.

There's also Dan James. Even Pogba and Martial can fill in on the LW. That's like 5-7 players for 2 positions.

What you're saying is we'd buy an 80m player for more quality depth. Seems a little crazy, don't it? We don't have starting positions that we can improve on for that money?

We still starting with McFred and Lindelof next season?

The misery on this thread is pathetic, Sancho is a fantastic young English player with an amazing future in football ahead of him. Any team that ends up with such a gifted player will be the better for it.

Reactions: Solius
Exactly, they now play with inverted wingers for a reason.

Sancho has still shown he can play that role effectively from the right despite not being left footed. The benefits of cutting in on your stronger foot are clear but it doesn't mean he's automatically ineffective there. He can still score goals with his right and he has definitely shown an ability to create chances from that position (which is what we need from him moreso than goals imo, though we would want both from him of course).

Out of curiosity would you prefer we sign nobody for the rw then? I like Amad but seems like a lot of pressure on him and surely this should be the season where we start shifting Greenwood into the centre more.

Well, as I said, you'll have to make it work, just as with any player. He's still just a kid. But he has the quality to play for anyone anywhere, there's no doubt about it. I said I was going to be jealous, and I mean it.
All you should do is sit back in joyful anticipation and be thankful you support a club that can still attract and pay such a talented player.
How dare I have some doubts :lol: I want us to sign Sancho, I just think the fee is high for a player who is potentially great and can potentially succeed in the PL.

Sancho has still shown he can play that role effectively from the right despite not being left footed. The benefits of cutting in on your stronger foot are clear but it doesn't mean he's automatically ineffective there. He can still score goals with his right and he has definitely shown an ability to create chances from that position (which is what we need from him moreso than goals imo, though we would want both from him of course).

Not ineffective but less effective. The question remains, why you'd sign a player for that much money and not play him where he'd be the most effective. The only rational reason is if you simply can't find a player who'd be more effective on the right than Sancho. I don't believe that's the case.

Not ineffective but less effective. The question remains, why you'd sign a player for that much money and not play him where he'd be the most effective.
Because it's debatable if he's less effective. Leroy Sane was never as effective as when he was a left winger for Pep. Fergie for his pretty much entire career used players on the "correct side". Sancho would be fine, he's played the majority of the time on the right and is fine ok either wing. There is pros and cons to cutting in on your stronger foot. Risk congesting things too much if both wingers do it.

Not ineffective but less effective. The question remains, why you'd sign a player for that much money and not play him where he'd be the most effective.

Well I think the answer is a pretty obvious one, I don't think there's any alternative available in that position that's at a similar level to Sancho.

How dare I have some doubts :lol: I want us to sign Sancho, I just think the fee is high for a player who is potentially great and can potentially succeed in the PL.
You can have doubts, but I think it makes more sense to be happy, in this case. He's a joy to watch. The fee is normal. He's a massive talent, and a massive talent that even has consistently delivered. It's not actually that much money in comparison.
I honestly think you're kind of lucky he seems to have his mind set on joining you and the other megaclubs are wobbling and not able to plan boldly at the moment, such a clear run at such a talent is not going to come often.

Because it's debatable if he's less effective. Leroy Sane was never as effective as when he was a left winger for Pep. Fergie for his pretty much entire career used players on the "correct side". Sancho would be fine, he's played the majority of the time on the right and is fine ok either wing. There is pros and cons to cutting in on your stronger foot. Risk congesting things too much if both wingers do it.

It isn't debatable to anyone who has watched him a handful of times or more.

Leroy Sane was a speed merchant who loved getting down the byline and beating players with speed. That's not Sancho. You've reached the point where you're talking about Fergie's years and practically comparing Sancho to Giggs. It'd be as relevant to compare Maguire with Owen frankly.

Rashford and Sancho will regularly swap wings. With Rashford, Greenwood and Sancho as a front three at some point, we’ll have a completely fluid front line that can each play all 3 positions. That gives us unpredictability and better movement. I think people need to get away from the idea that players will be in fixed positions. It’s like when we had Rooney, Ronaldo and Tévez. All three popped up all over the place.

Rashford and Sancho will regularly swap wings. With Rashford, Greenwood and Sancho as a front three at some point, we’ll have a completely fluid front line that can each play all 3 positions. That gives us unpredictability and better movement. I think people need to get away from the idea that players will be in fixed positions. It’s like when we had Rooney, Ronaldo and Tévez. All three popped up all over the place.

I agree with this and I think that's the route Ole wants to take

The misery on this thread is pathetic, Sancho is a fantastic young English player with an amazing future in football ahead of him. Any team that ends up with such a gifted player will be the better for it.
The Newbie is talking more sense than some posters here with 200000 posts.

And those players, on literally almost every occasion, play on an inverted wing. Nobody wants Sancho’s main game to be coming in on his left foot, nor does he have the qualities for his main game to be going outside on his right foot.
Even if this is the case, is this such a bad thing? I think Sancho's capable of playing both sides but worst case scenario we've got Greenwood and Amad for the right and Rashford and Sancho for the left.

There's plenty of games this season where we could've used another creator, Rashford hasn't been up to scratch or Ole hasn't trusted the bench. Having a player of Sancho's quality to call on is a damn sight better than Dan James, and might actually mean we don't have to run Rashford into the ground even if his shoulder or ankle is hanging off.

Well I think the answer is a pretty obvious one, I don't think there's any alternative available in that position that's at a similar level to Sancho.

I think we have one in our squad funnily enough. I'd be very surprised if Sancho reaches Greenwood numbers from the right in the EPL.

And it's been repeated ad nauseum that the reason Dortmund can sign players like Haaland, Bellingham and Sancho without us getting a sniff, is because when we have players of that talent at that age we don't play them and opt for more ready-made players. Like everyone here pining over signing Sancho, instead of giving Amad Diallo the minutes he needs to develop into the player Sancho has been developed into at BVB.

But is it not the case that Rashford's shite on the right?

Even if this is the case, is this such a bad thing? I think Sancho's capable of playing both sides but worst case scenario we've got Greenwood and Amad for the right and Rashford and Sancho for the left.

...and Pogba and Martial and Dan James.

Status
Not open for further replies.