Israel - Iran and regional players | Please post respectfully and stay on topic

Orientalism 101.

Surely i simplify, even more sure i dont understand the intricacies of middle east, sprinkle it with a good dose of generalization and your simplified comment might be warranted

But i ask you. Are all the middle east countries in the short and even middle term ready for democracy as we understand it in western culture?

Last edited:
Surely i simplify, even more sure i dont understand the intricacies of middle east, sprinkle it with a good dose of generalization and your simplified comment might be warranted

But i ask you. Are all the middle east countries in the short and even middle term ready for democracy as we understand it in western culture?
That's the point, isn't it? Talking about the "Middle East" as a single entity is very silly.

Your initial post wasn't whether the people were ready or not, it was that they didn't want it or even understand it like "us".

Western intelligence estimated half their missile arsenal had been destroyed a few weeks ago. Israel reckons theyve now lost two thirds. Most of their C4 infrastructure is gone. They're now incapable of operating anywhere near Israel's borders and are very limited further inland. Larger missiles require more effort to launch and are therefore easier to spot before they launch.

Any kind of coordinated attack by Hezbollah looks almost impossible. Same goes for Hamas whilst the Houthis are too far away to do any real damage, and they're preoccupied with shipping. Nobody is able to go toe to toe with Israel in conventional warfare.
I suppose one reason may be because Hezbollah doesn't have any leadership at the moment, and as such, lack a coherent strategic plan on what to do. We are in a truly uncharted territory at the moment in the sense that this is the first time in 40 years that Hezbollah are on the ropes; especially given that Tehran are themselves expecting a massive attack any day, there simply isn't a plan on what to do next in lieu of constant Israeli attacks.

So basically the war is over and Israel has achieved everything it wanted, both in Gaza and Lebanon, the terrorist Iranian proxies are decimated.. Why does the Israeli regime continue slaughtering so many civilians, journalists, medical staff, attacking UN peacekeepers left and right ?

So basically the war is over and Israel has achieved everything it wanted, both in Gaza and Lebanon, the terrorist Iranian proxies are decimated.. Why does the Israeli regime continue slaughtering so many civilians, journalists, medical staff, attacking UN peacekeepers left and right ?

Are they decimated ? You could make a good case Hamas is given the last year. Hezbollah still seems to be in tact.

Legit source in the news, talking to folks in the WH. Fwiworth I switched over 25% of my portfolio in GLD, HAL, USO, UVXY, SPY puts

That's pretty big bet on impending conflict. I would go with something a bit riskier than HAL to make an oil services play.

That's pretty big bet on impending conflict. I would go with something a bit riskier than HAL to make an oil services play.

Normally I wouldn't pay much attention to rumors. I just think an Israeli response is coming. Now the timing of this is interesting – I always thought this was something that could/would happen after the U.S. elections, but if anything it could happen before 11/5, because the incentive for Netanyahu is to attack before the election and start a war that the successor government is going to be stuck with having to fight or sort through. Waiting until after the election the Israelis may be stuck with someone who’s not going to support them to the extent that they want, so they will force it.

That's sort of the thesis anyway - we'll see

Normally I wouldn't pay much attention to rumors. I just think an Israeli response is coming. Now the timing of this is interesting – I always thought this was something that could/would happen after the U.S. elections, but if anything it could happen before 11/5, because the incentive for Netanyahu is to attack before the election and start a war that the successor government is going to be stuck with having to fight or sort through. Waiting until after the election the Israelis may be stuck with someone who’s not going to support them to the extent that they want, so they will force it.

If it comes to war and US joining it, don't think Trump would say no. Israeli influence is not only on the Democratic party.

This is one of the easiest plays in recent memory imo, in that we know the Israelis are going to hit Iran very soon, and probably in an unprecedented way that forces the Iranians to retaliate. So long Oil, Gas, Gold, one or two oil services stocks, and the Vix is pretty much a no brainer. You could even ditch USO and HAL and go for riskier plays with more sensitivity to energy volatility. That's probably a better chat for the stocks thread in the Gen.

That's the point, isn't it? Talking about the "Middle East" as a single entity is very silly.

Your initial post wasn't whether the people were ready or not, it was that they didn't want it or even understand it like "us".

I think i made distinctions on cities and other areas, so it applies on what country we are talking about. I sure generalized but I definitely will not go country by country, region to region, town to town who is or is not prepared in a forum because it is impossible. I don't have the knowdelge, the time and the space and I am sure no one does even being much more cultured in the region.

The part that they don't want it (again, I said part of them and understand them, people of middle east as from MY perspective that I am not from there so sorry if its a "you" because you are from there, which I don't know) is because some of them had grown in another hierarchy, structure, organization, whichever word you want to describe it and is how they feel comfortable. And the part that they don't understand is because many areas that had never been exposed to democracy, I doubt that they spent much debating what democracy is at school if even went to school in some cases, specially women.

I can ask for sorry for generalizing but I am still of the opinion that a substantial part (maybe even a majority) of the middle east are not ready for being a democracy. From this point that is solely my opinion, I agree that this needs to be discussed case by case, country a country, region a region, the whys, the hows, the whens, how close would be each case to do the transition and what it would be needed

And sure, in any case, there will be always a certain degree of orientalism, but at the same time, throwing the word and thats it is a dismissive form of not wanting to make an effort to read between lines of certain wording that was there

This is one of the easiest plays in recent memory imo, in that we know the Israelis are going to hit Iran very soon, and probably in an unprecedented way that forces the Iranians to retaliate. So long Oil, Gas, Gold, one or two oil services stocks, and the Vix is pretty much a no brainer. You could even ditch USO and HAL and go for riskier plays with more sensitivity to energy volatility. That's probably a better chat for the stocks thread in the Gen.

Iran in itself is only 1-2MM BPD; however, if Iran lashes and takes out oil export and processing/loading facilities in Saudi, UAE, Qatar etc, then you're talking 10-20MM BPD out of the global market and oil hitting $200-$300.
US would be fine in that it whoever is POTUS would end crude exports immediately, which would make the product even more short globally -- yikes!

Just feels like a good time to go risk off - YMMV

And already over.

Israel has just announced that its operation has been completed. I'd say it's the Israeli pendant of Iran's two previous choreographed ballets.
It's a good thing it's over. Israel should stop it's atrocities in Gaza and Lebanon as well.

The rhetoric coming out from both the Israelis and Iranians so far indicates a real opportunity for an off ramp here (of the two of them striking each directly at least).

The rhetoric coming out from both the Israelis and Iranians so far indicates a real opportunity for an off ramp here (of the two of them striking each directly at least).
I can think of two main reasons as to why the Israeli response was so restrained, despite the rethoric coming from the Israeli government.

- The Iran capabilities to inflict significant damage to Israel have been re-evaluated to a more realistic level. We'll learn in the coming weeks how much of a success the Israeli retaliation was, although I now personally think that it was nothing more than a PR stunt. Just like Iran's.

- The US have finally decided to somewhat put the step on the brakes and told the Israelis that a full-fledged war with Iran a couple of weeks before the elections is a big no-no.

For now, it's a "stalemate". At least until the US elections are over.

Last edited:
Can't imagine the Iraqis are too happy about the Israelis using their airspace for the attacks.

They are powerless. Iraq has no air defence systems. But in few months they will have south korean medium range batteries.

Love how everywhere this is being labelled as a "retaliatory" attack by Israel, as if they haven't been antagonizing Iran continuously now since the war started.

They are powerless. Iraq has no air defence systems. But in few months they will have south korean medium range batteries.
It's more the fact their airspace is currently controlled by the US. Who are also allegedly helping Israel facilitate these airstrikes.

Can't imagine the PMFs will be happy with that, and with thousands of US servicemen across various bases around the country, it has the potential to get very ugly.

It's more the fact their airspace is currently controlled by the US. Who are also allegedly helping Israel facilitate these airstrikes.

Can't imagine the PMFs will be happy with that, and with thousands of US servicemen across various bases around the country, it has the potential to get very ugly.

I hope they will sit this one down. Iraq had enough instability. Al-Soudani worked very hard the last few months to keep the country in good terms with every side. But you know it's an impossible job.

Where is Palestine’s Mandela? Probably 6 feet under somewhere

Abu Helaiel lost two of his sons to Israeli bombardments. One was Jihad, just 7 months old, who was killed during the first Intifada in 1989 near their home. The family was prevented from travelling to hospital and the baby didn’t stand a chance.

Another son, Ahmed, was killed at the age of 17 in 2017 when he was run over by an Israeli vehicle in Ramallah. A brother, Bader, was shot in the chest with live bullets before being arrested, injured, and imprisoned for three years.

Nice.

The most significant part of this is perhaps them showing that western aircraft can operate over Iran, and perhaps Russia, with absolute impunity.