Interesting read....

DJS said:
Depends what you call a 'sly dig'.

If i feel criticism etc is warranted, i'll make the point openly.

I think it's a shame and a bit short-sighted the way some have lauded Ronaldo as the greatest thing since sliced-bread, and had a go at others who disagree, claiming that they havent seen him play, therefore arent entitled to a valid opinion.

Ironically enough, many of these people will then go on to say that Le Tallec is 'shit' or such like.

Nothing sly about that, just openly expressing an opinion.

Well, I was one of those debating Ronaldo with you, and I don't recall any United supporters here saying anything one way or the other about Le Tallec. Either I missed something or you're imagining things.

An Extremely Boring Man said:
That wasn't what I was on about

I was on about your comments above about United fans, sky generation etc

Answer me this: Do you think Liverpool fans are better than United fans?

It's impossible and unfair to categorise one group of millions as being 'better' than another group of millions - so, in answer to your question, no.

Regarding the Sky issue, let me ask you...

Do you feel it's fair to say that the Sky Revoultion led to the emergence of many gloryhunting supporters who, as is the nature of a gloryhunter, chose to attatch themselves to the most successful club during the era in question, namely Manchester United?

VanNistlerater said:
Speaking of dismissing young talents, was it not DJS who dismissed Ronaldo, and said (and i quote)

Ho Hum..

The nature of quoting someone means that for the quote to have any validity regarding the point you're trying to make, it must be taken in its exact form, which i'm not sure you did.

For a start, i can spell, so i'm sure i wouldnt have said 'to soon.'

;)

DJS said:
It's impossible and unfair to categorise one group of millions as being 'better' than another group of millions - so, in answer to your question, no.

Regarding the Sky issue, let me ask you...

Do you feel it's fair to say that the Sky Revoultion led to the emergence of many gloryhunting supporters who, as is the nature of a gloryhunter, chose to attatch themselves to the most successful club during the era in question, namely Manchester United?

United has 'always' had the biggest following. Personally, I don't know any 'glory' supporters, so I couldn't answer your question.

United has 'always' had the biggest following. Personally, I don't know any 'glory' supporters, so I couldn't answer your question.

Fair enough.

But i think that logic says it is safe to assume that what i described is accurate with regards to what actually happened.

DJS said:
The nature of quoting someone means that for the quote to have any validity regarding the point you're trying to make, it must be taken in its exact form, which i'm not sure you did.

;)

You are right. So just for you, i dag up the proper quote, god bless search function.

I dont 'not care' about United - i just care more about supporting MY club than deriding United.

I'm interested in discussing United - i just dont care about THIS signing.

I dont think it's a significant signing yet - he may be good, but i doubt he'll have an impact anytime soon.

Dont forget, he wasnt a player who made a significant impact at Sporting - more of a reserve, as i understand it.

I re-iterate:

Ho Hum..

VanNistlerater said:
You are right. So just for you, i dag up the proper quote, god bless search function.

I re-iterate:

Ho Hum..

I still want to know who these people were who were praising Ronaldo and rubbishing Le Tallec in the same breath.

Frankly, I think it's stupid to make any kind of judgements on players you know nothing about... :wenger:

DJS said:
You may feel that it is, but i wouldnt agree.

If you were to survey 100 people and ask them what Liverpool is famous for, i very much doubt many would say 'self pity.'

No, but if you were to survey 100 people and asked them whether they thought Liverpudlians were prone to self-pity, quite a few of them would say yes. And likewise, if you asked 100 people what town/city was most famous for self pity, Liverpool would be the answer.

Just look at the initial article in this thread! Crying over the fact that Ronaldo are getting more coverage than Le Tallec. For feck sake!

The writer of the article is being a bit of an arse. Slamming United fans for saying Ronaldo is fantastic when he's had a great debut and saying Le Tallec is just as good when he hasn't yet had his debut.

Double standards is what it is.

In this thread, for those wanting a source.

https://www.redcafe.net/showthread.php?t=30512&page=1&pp=40

DJS, my question still remains, if there are SOME glory hunters on here, why dont you name two or three?, cant be that hard to spot in your view, can they?

You dont want to answer the question do you?, i bet your sweating like Arsene Wenger in a nursery.

Go on, answer, i dare you...and thats a double dare, no quit'sies, turn around touch the ground.

:cool:

Do you know any 'glory hunting' supporters?

Yes, as it goes, i know quite a few.

I've come across many youngsters in recent years who first got into football during the introduction of Sky's coverage and many of whom have their United shirts with 'Beckham 7' on the back, largely because they'd struggle to name/spell any of the other players.

They know nothing of the history of the club and consequently fail to handle themselves with the decency and intelligence of true United fans.

This 'syndrome' certainly isnt exclusive to youngsters and is less-forgiving amongts older 'fans', which still crop up too, none of which would be able to tell you anything of the United era under the likes of Atkinson, much less Busby or Sexton.

Until the end of last season, there were quite a few Arsenal fans of the same type, though i've noticed a few are now choosing to leave their shirts indoors.

Whether people like to admit it or otherwise, one of the (many) consequences of the emergance of Sky as a major football broadcaster in the UK has been the 'boom' of interest in football, which has been responsible for so many of the 'fly-by-night' merchants.

I can tell you about the Atkinson/Sexton era if you wish, and i dont actually conciouslly remember anything from that time. Thats because im obsessed with all things MUFC so in making the asumption that young people are bandwagon jumpers, isnt always smart, dont judge a book by its cover.

Or am i getting the wrong end of the stick?

DJS said:

I've come across many youngsters in recent years who first got into football during the introduction of Sky's coverage and many of whom have their United shirts with 'Beckham 7' on the back, largely because they'd struggle to name/spell any of the other players.

They know nothing of the history of the club and consequently fail to handle themselves with the decency and intelligence of true United fans.

This 'syndrome' certainly isnt exclusive to youngsters and is less-forgiving amongts older 'fans', which still crop up too, none of which would be able to tell you anything of the United era under the likes of Atkinson, much less Busby or Sexton.

Until the end of last season, there were quite a few Arsenal fans of the same type, though i've noticed a few are now choosing to leave their shirts indoors.

Whether people like to admit it or otherwise, one of the (many) consequences of the emergance of Sky as a major football broadcaster in the UK has been the 'boom' of interest in football, which has been responsible for so many of the 'fly-by-night' merchants.

The same could be said for all the clubs though you muppet

Football's popularity has increased a lot the last decade, and all clubs have 'followers' who know nothing of the history of the club and consequently fail to handle themselves with the decency and intelligence of true football fans.

Why do you feel the need to point out United with regards to this, when the truth is that there are plenty of Liverpool 'fans' out there which fit this description?

VanNistlerater said:

I re-iterate:

Ho Hum..

That's better, at least if you wish to quote me, get it right. ;)

In all seriousness, the debut looked impressive, but honestly, does 26 minutes justify the insane hype or equate to a serious impact?

I'd prefer to reserve judgement until (by both tokens), he has to deal with no longer being the 'unknown' prospect and also until he's settled fully and adjusted himself to the many differences in his life now.

No, but if you were to survey 100 people and asked them whether they thought Liverpudlians were prone to self-pity, quite a few of them would say yes. And likewise, if you asked 100 people what town/city was most famous for self pity, Liverpool would be the answer.

Just look at the initial article in this thread! Crying over the fact that Ronaldo are getting more coverage than Le Tallec. For feck sake!

The whole article is cringe-worthy. It is embarrassing, and i must be honest, I had more respect for Pool fans before they started backing such drivel.

VanNistlerater said:
I can tell you about the Atkinson/Sexton era if you wish, and i dont actually conciouslly remember anything from that time. Thats because im obsessed with all things MUFC so in making the asumption that young people are bandwagon jumpers, isnt always smart, dont judge a book by its cover.

Or am i getting the wrong end of the stick?

VN, you HAVE got the wrong end of the stick mate.

I wouldnt point to you as an example. as i dont know you.

I was referring to people who i know and have actually come across MYSELF.

And there are plenty, believe me.

Not an interesting read at all. First two lines were enough to convince me it was a pile of self deluding we're all right got great players will win something soon bollox.

DJS said:
In all seriousness, the debut looked impressive, but honestly, does 26 minutes justify the insane hype or equate to a serious impact?
The fact that he turned a ground out 1-0 win or 1-1 draw into a rout is worthy of the phrase "serious impact" IMO.

DJS said:
VN, you HAVE got the wrong end of the stick mate.

I wouldnt point to you as an example. as i dont know you.

I was referring to people who i know and have actually come across MYSELF.

And there are plenty, believe me.

I think you're mixing the concept of being a supporter with the concept of taking a casual interest in the sport

The same could be said for all the clubs though you muppet

Football's popularity has increased a lot the last decade, and all clubs have 'followers' who know nothing of the history of the club and consequently fail to handle themselves with the decency and intelligence of true football fans.

Why do you feel the need to point out United with regards to this, when the truth is that there are plenty of Liverpool 'fans' out there which fit this description?

I'm well aware every club has them, but it's fair to assume that United have more than most as the start of their modern success coincided with the introduction of Sky's coverage.

That's the whole point, these people's support is merely based on this coincidence, rather than any true feeling for the club.

By definition, glory hunters 'support' successful teams, they dont attatch themselves to the Southamptons and Leicesters of this world.

I think you're mixing the concept of being a supporter with the concept of taking a casual interest in the sport

Taking a casual interest in the sport would be randomly watching games that feature any teams, out of a casual interest.

Buying a United shirt and only seeing them play when they're on Sky are the actions of someone who views themself as a United 'supporter'.

DJS said:

:lol:

You are having a go at youngsters for not knowing about the history of the club they have started to support. Are you having a laugh?

Did you know everything about Liverpool when you first started supporting them or did you start supporting them because they were the club that was winning at the time?

DJS said:
19 August 2003 : by Chris Bascombe, Liverpool Echo
Time will tell who's got the better deal, but for value for money I know who I'm backing. It's a bit like Houllier and Ferguson have both dined at the same top class restaurant and had their pick of the best main courses on the menu.

Houllier has managed to get his dish at a quarter of the cost Ferguson has paid, and yet it's his rival who is getting all the praise.

I don't know if :wenger: s dish is as good as SAFs. Maybe it's even better! But the fundamental problem is that, while SAF might not get his dish cheap, he will enjoy the meal :drool:.

On the other hand, :wenger: gets an equally good dish (let's imagine it's fish) but cheaper. Now, Houllier will add ketchup and then leave it on the side until it is stone cold while he has baked beans as a starter. By the time that, spoon in hand, he turns to his great [cheaper] fish, it will be understandably less appetising and worth as much as he paid for it.

And you can't tell me you don't see :Houllier: doing this after he played Kewell on the right wing... :lol:

antohan said:
I don't know if :wenger: s dish is as good as SAFs. Maybe it's even better! But the fundamental problem is that, while SAF might not get his dish cheap, he will enjoy the meal :drool:.

On the other hand, :wenger: gets an equally good dish (let's imagine it's fish) but cheaper. Now, Houllier will add ketchup and then leave it on the side until it is stone cold while he has baked beans as a starter. By the time that, spoon in hand, he turns to his great [cheaper] fish, it will be understandably less appetising and worth as much as he paid for it.

And you can't tell me you don't see :Houllier: doing this after he played Kewell on the right wing... :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

antohan said:

antohan = Jamie Oliver ;)

DJS said:
I'm well aware every club has them, but it's fair to assume that United have more than most as the start of their modern success coincided with the introduction of Sky's coverage.

That's the whole point, these people's support is merely based on this coincidence, rather than any true feeling for the club.

By definition, glory hunters 'support' successful teams, they dont attatch themselves to the Southamptons and Leicesters of this world.

I don't get it - I've never met a SUPPORTER who's got no true feeling for a club - any club

No doubt are there supporters who started supporting the club because the club was successful - but kids do that kind of things. That's why Liverpool have so many fans in hteir mid 20's to late 30's, because of their success in the 1970's and 1980's, that's why Leeds and Tottenham have quite a large number of supporters in their 40's, 50's and 60's etc.

You're trying to find a stick to beat United with. It's not working.

Go sulk with your fellow fan fan Bascercombe on how unfair t is that Ronaldo has had more coverage than Le Tallec the last week :rolleyes:

I was on holiday a few weeks ago, and because i am a bit of a sad bastard, even then i couldnt help but talk about football, i got talking to this Leeds fan, who attatched himself to the club when they were succesful in the 70's/80's (dont know the exact date, sorry) but he then grew up supporting the club and loved them, and thus followed them through thick and thin, he still supports them today, and look what a state they are in now.

So to state that glory-hunters have no feeling for the club is in-accurate, in this guys case, he just choose them as a kid, not knowing any better, so it also prooves that sky TV wasnt the beggining of 'glory hunters' if you will, and that people still attatched themselfs to clubs in the 70's/80's. Anyway in conclusion, would you call the man in question, a glory supporter?, given that when he started supporting the club, it was down to the success at the time.

DJS said:
Taking a casual interest in the sport would be randomly watching games that feature any teams, out of a casual interest.

Buying a United shirt and only seeing them play when they're on Sky are the actions of someone who views themself as a United 'supporter'.

Whatever

I see as many of them wearing Liverpool shirts down the pub as United shirts

antohan said:

Lynott said:

You are having a go at youngsters for not knowing about the history of the club they have started to support. Are you having a laugh?

Did you know everything about Liverpool when you first started supporting them or did you start supporting them because they were the club that was winning at the time?

If you'd read the post properly, you'd have seen that i referred to older 'fans' too.

As for youngsters, no i dont expect them to know all the history.

I expect them to be curious about it, and more than anything, i expect them, as the 'true supporters' they think they are, to prefer watching their team, as opposed to hanging around petrol stations and shopping centres during the match.

You know the groups i refer to and if you wish to pretend you dont, that's up to you.

DJS said:

DJS why Liverpool still have a big following in Asia?

DJS said:
If you'd read the post properly, you'd have seen that i referred to older 'fans' too.

As for youngsters, no i dont expect them to know all the history.

I expect them to be curious about it, and more than anything, i expect them, as the 'true supporters' they think they are, to prefer watching their team, as opposed to hanging around petrol stations and shopping centres during the match.

You know the groups i refer to and if you wish to pretend you dont, that's up to you.

A group of my friends are Liverpool supporters. Theri age varies between 25 and 35. they all stared to support Liverpool during their extremely successful period.
I have no beef with that, it is completely natural thing for kids to do.

Of course United is going to pick up more fans during its most successful period but it has absolutely nothing to do with Sky bias or anything other than the fact that they play exciting football, they win and more importantly they have been the best team over the last 12 years.