Interesting read....

DJS said:
Do you not hold any regard for the concept that a new youngster will generally find his second season tougher, on the premise that having seen him for a year, opposition defenders are more likely to cope with him?

Obviously his experienced gained in the first year will help him too, but generally the premise is that after a successful debut season (in fairness, it took him a few months to turn in the level of performance he has produces of late), a new player usually finds the 2nd season tougher.

Ronaldo is very gifted and if he can overcome the inevitable increased attention from defender that will come in season 2, he'll be mighty impressive.

Easier said than done though - i think he'll still perform well, but will have to up his game to do so.

increased attention from defenders? is he going to be marked by four of them when he has the ball next year instead of the customary three?

DJS said:
Do you not hold any regard for the concept that a new youngster will generally find his second season tougher, on the premise that having seen him for a year, opposition defenders are more likely to cope with him?

Obviously his experienced gained in the first year will help him too, but generally the premise is that after a successful debut season (in fairness, it took him a few months to turn in the level of performance he has produces of late), a new player usually finds the 2nd season tougher.

Ronaldo is very gifted and if he can overcome the inevitable increased attention from defender that will come in season 2, he'll be mighty impressive.

Easier said than done though - i think he'll still perform well, but will have to up his game to do so.

What happened to the one trick pony I was hearing so much about :confused:

DJS said:

Maybe opposition players would know more about him but then they know more about him now than they did in the first few months of the season and hes been at his best since early February. Hes an unpredictable player with great natural ability anyway so he has many strings to his bow and he can play effectively on the left and the right. I believe also that once he gets stronger, more intelligent and mature in his decision making on the pitch he will get better. I believe in 2, 3, 4 years he will be unbelievable.

thoward said:
Maybe opposition players would know more about him but then they know more about him now than they did in the first few months of the season and hes been at his best since early February.

Yes, but most opposition players will play him no more than twice a season.

thoward said:
Thats your opinion but I think Ronaldo will continue to get better and will play more games next season and probably more the season after and once hes really settled he will be an unbelievable player.

Of course he is gonna improve if he stays on course.

To think that he sn't gonna experience any setbacks in his development is rather dreamy stuff imo though. Almost any player plateaus at certain stages. I cannot recall a single player that hasn't.

Mr. Wood said:
His finishing needs work ...

Think that will change when he adapts more to the pace of the premiership and gets more time on the ball in his head.

B9 from YAWN said:
Of course he is gonna improve if he stays on course.

To think that he sn't gonna experience any setbacks in his development is rather dreamy stuff imo though. Almost any player plateaus at certain stages. I cannot recall a single player that hasn't.

He may suffer the odd setback but I feel he will be more experienced and show more maturity and will be able to play more games as time goes on. It cannot have been easy for him arriving as an 18 year old from Portugal not speaking the language etc.