Ineos and the women

Like pretty much everything under the Glazers/Woodward, the re introduction of the women's team was great but the approach to it was half arsed and the wider development of it has been not executed well.

Going forward, it would be great to see a proper commitment to developing not only the women's team but also the academy sides that sit below them. It would also be good to find female coaches and other staff that can lead that side of the club going forward so they develop their own identity/playing style.

Like pretty much everything under the Glazers/Woodward, the re introduction of the women's team was great but the approach to it was half arsed and the wider development of it has been not executed well.

Going forward, it would be great to see a proper commitment to developing not only the women's team but also the academy sides that sit below them. It would also be good to find female coaches and other staff that can lead that side of the club going forward so they develop their own identity/playing style.

I’m certain INEOS will give it proper attention once everything has stabilised a bit.

It was great to see Dan with the players on the Utd app, Marc was there alongside him in one - I hope Dan was saying things like "Now, you are going to use all the players through an appropriate rotation system, right? Right?" :lol:

Jokes aside, I'm well happy that my fears for the future of the ladies team were seemingly unfounded, and hopefully others feel as reassured too.

It was great to see Dan with the players on the Utd app, Marc was there alongside him in one - I hope Dan was saying things like "Now, you are going to use all the players through an appropriate rotation system, right? Right?" :lol:

Jokes aside, I'm well happy that my fears for the future of the ladies team were seemingly unfounded, and hopefully others feel as reassured too.

As I always said to anyone who would listen, Dan Ashworth was being brought in as Sporting Director of Manchester United Football Club, not director of football of the men's team. Glad to see that is coming to fruition.

My view is the same as with the men's team - I'll believe it when I see it. Getting the new director of women's football in is the main task. Also need to see what their accommodations are like this year after getting kicked out of their building. Small thing like him actually showing up to matches will be a positive. Taking decisive action if things aren't looking good during the season. Etc.

But I do feel happier generally about Berrada and Ashworth being the ones in control rather than Ratcliffe.

One sentence lightly referencing the women’s team in all of that message.

”We are working hard to transform Carrington so that both our men’s and women’s teams have access to outstanding training facilities.”

”We are working hard to transform Carrington so that both our men’s and women’s teams have access to outstanding training facilities.”

Are you complaining about that here? Not sure from your message.

Think most of his full message was quite general about the club and the history, doesn't exclusively reference the men either?

Feel like you're trying to find things to get offended about.

Are you complaining about that here? Not sure from your message.

Think most of his full message was quite general about the club and the history, doesn't exclusively reference the men either?

He talks about men’s signing, men’s manager, their appearance at Wembley, extending the men’s captain’s contract etc. Not a big deal and not as bad as SJR though. Just interesting not mentioning anything about the women’s team. Compare that to Ashworth’s extended words about them.

Feel like you're trying to find things to get offended about.

Absolutely, one of my favourite hobbies.

It good they were mentioned at all, not sure why you’re trying to turn this in to a negative.

Basically some people have already decided that INEOS are going to neglect the women’s team completely and are now looking for everything they can to prove this. Absolute panic over nothing.

The statement from Berrada was to kick off the new season for the men’s team, which begins tomorrow. WSL doesn’t start for another month yet.

It good they were mentioned at all, not sure why you’re trying to turn this in to a negative.

Basically some people have already decided that INEOS are going to neglect the women’s team completely and are now looking for everything they can to prove this. Absolute panic over nothing.

The statement from Berrada was to kick off the new season for the men’s team, which begins tomorrow. WSL doesn’t start for another month yet.

Absolutely, it’s extremely nice that the CEO of the club even mentioned the women’s team. They should be very grateful.

I haven’t decided that at all. Ashworth’s comments were encouraging. Ratcliffe’s and Berrada’s less so.

Their actions so far compared to the men’s team are underwhelming, but I’m prepared to give them some time to fix this.

He talks about men’s signing, men’s manager, their appearance at Wembley, extending the men’s captain’s contract etc. Not a big deal and not as bad as SJR though. Just interesting not mentioning anything about the women’s team. Compare that to Ashworth’s extended words about them.
I'm pretty forgiving about this one. It's his welcome back to the Premier League and Old Trafford message rather than a big picture thing.

Absolutely, it’s extremely nice that the CEO of the club even mentioned the women’s team. They should be very grateful.

I haven’t decided that at all. Ashworth’s comments were encouraging. Ratcliffe’s and Berrada’s less so.
You're missing the context of it entirely.

I agree with the Ratcliffe assessment, not so much the Berrada one given the context of the PL start.

Fair enough. Hope we get a Welcome to WSL message later.
I would imagine that will be the main message in the programme for the first women's game. I can understand the concerns about the attitudes towards the women's team within the club given the stories that have come out and some of the stuff that Ratcliffe has said but I don't think it should be a concern that they're not the main focus in a message within the programme for the first men's game of the season.

If we were looking for things to complain about we could be talking about:

The fact is we're resigned to the idea that Sir Jim sees the women as a cost centre not a football team. Otherwise we'd be complaining that the men don't "make £800 million" because they cost a lot of money as well and the women do generate some revenue.

The Ineos management team, unlike their boss, do look like they believe that the women's team is more than just a cost centre. Even if it's largely currently budgeted for as a marketing/PR expense there's also an understanding that it needs to work as a football team.

Who knows, some of them may even see it as an in interesting and relatively cheap bet on the future.

My impression so far, more in general, has been one of Ratcliffe seeming very neglective of the entire women’s side of the club, whereas Berrada and even more so Ashworth appears more aware and interested.

As the running of the side goes, it was a horrific look watching so many key players leave without resistance, and the whole training facilities handling, while lately there have been a few more hopeful developmenta with aquisitions that at least look sensible from the outside.

I’m hopeful that this means that the support of the women’s team is lagging behind more than being lost, and that we will see the same logic - if not the same resources - applied for both first teams: The ambition of building towards becoming the world leaders in every aspect on and around the pitch.

If we were looking for things to complain about we could be talking about:

The fact is we're resigned to the idea that Sir Jim sees the women as a cost centre not a football team. Otherwise we'd be complaining that the men don't "make £800 million" because they cost a lot of money as well and the women do generate some revenue.

The Ineos management team, unlike their boss, do look like they believe that the women's team is more than just a cost centre. Even if it's largely currently budgeted for as a marketing/PR expense there's also an understanding that it needs to work as a football team.

Who knows, some of them may even see it as an in interesting and relatively cheap bet on the future.

Yeah it's frustrating, particularly as so many fans then ape it because they can't yet countenance criticism of the new era (see the Ineos thread when this was brought up).

Their actions so far compared to the men’s team are underwhelming, but I’m prepared to give them some time to fix this.

They’re rightly of lower priority at the moment, and I say this as someone who follows the women’s team more than your average United fan. The women’s team will be supported by INEOS, I’ve no doubt about that, but let’s get our house in order first. This will take time but you can’t hyper analyse every statement to see how often the women are mentioned, that’s slightly unhinged as far as I’m concerned. If they’ve done nothing with the women’s team in three years then we’ll talk.

They’re rightly of lower priority at the moment, and I say this as someone who follows the women’s team more than your average United fan. The women’s team will be supported by INEOS, I’ve no doubt about that, but let’s get our house in order first. This will take time but you can’t hyper analyse every statement to see how often the women are mentioned, that’s slightly unhinged as far as I’m concerned. If they’ve done nothing with the women’s team in three years then we’ll talk.
We'll talk in three years?

If we applied that to most discussions on RedCafe there wouldn't be much discussion on the forum at all :lol:

The women's team is part of the house. It's one club. People only over analyse each statement because the messaging has been so poor so far.

I think it's fine that Berrada doesn't say more, given the overall context of his post.
I am still hopeful Wilcox, Ashworth and Berrada will do good for our women. I can't stand Jim, but really like the reast of the Ineos setup

The woman's game as a whole is unsustainable in it's current entity, not just United womans team.
Hence the restructuring and take over of the WSL, to try and provide more profitability into the game.
None of what's being mentioned by SJR is wrong nor controversial.

22/23 the team generated 7m revenue with operating expenses of 6.85m. Of that revenue, 5.19m was from "sponsorship", which you could class as a gift from the club, but then the women also wear the sponsors and appear on the ads, so I don't think that would be entirely fair. At any rate, you can call it a third of a Malacia.

So I would actually say it's wrong, and fairly controversial (as demonstrated by people not agreeing with it).

22/23 the team generated 7m revenue with operating expenses of 6.85m. Of that revenue, 5.19m was from "sponsorship", which you could class as a gift from the club, but then the women also wear the sponsors and appear on the ads, so I don't think that would be entirely fair. At any rate, you can call it a third of a Malacia.

So I would actually say it's wrong, and fairly controversial (as demonstrated by people not agreeing with it).
That's not taking into account the hefty wages that United Woman's team were paying, which is half the reason we are seeing big names go elsewhere in Europe or Mexico as paying these ages is unsustainable in the short term without major growth.
So no, it's not wrong, nor should it be controversial for SJR to say those things.

That's not taking into account the hefty wages that United Woman's team were paying, which is half the reason we are seeing big names go elsewhere in Europe or Mexico as paying these ages is unsustainable in the short term without major growth.
So no, it's not wrong, nor should it be controversial for SJR to say those things.
They are, quite literally, included in the operating expenses I referred to.

The women's team should at present be run at a considerable loss, given its very obvious potential for growth.

It is a great investment, he's being stupid as well as pointlessly causing drama by using language that makes it sound like a burden.

They are, quite literally, included in the operating expenses I referred to.
So the team made a loss for the club then, which is what was being said.
Again, neither a controversial nor an incorrect statement.

So the team made a loss for the club then, which is what was being said.
Again, neither a controversial nor an incorrect statement.
I can only assume you're being deliberately obtuse at this point.

I can only assume you're being deliberately obtuse at this point.
Er not really, the club has just spent £10m on the woman's team, it's also running at a slight loss, so tell me where SJRs statements are incorrect or controversial please?

I've just caught up with the latest posts after a busy few weeks, so, not trying to bump the thread.

£10million though - for perspective, that's the same as 7 months and 3 weeks of Marcus Rashford's wages. For what the women bring in for the fans who appreciate them, myself very much being one of those, that's a bargain. Ella Toone's goal in the FA Cup final alone was worth that.

I've just caught up with the latest posts after a busy few weeks, so, not trying to bump the thread.

£10million though - for perspective, that's the same as 7 months and 3 weeks of Marcus Rashford's wages. For what the women bring in for the fans who appreciate them, myself very much being one of those, that's a bargain. Ella Toone's goal in the FA Cup final alone was worth that.
I wholeheartedly agree with this. We know that women's football currently makes a loss, but that will change in the next few years I believe.