• Casemiro

Votes: 264 35.6%
  • Varane

Votes: 149 20.1%
  • Martinez

Votes: 129 17.4%

• Total voters

poleglass red

I was at the recent Utd v Southampton game, first game I've been into in a while. It was obvious in that game who runs the team, it was Martinez certainly that day. He was the one organising the back line, telling people where they should be etc. I can understand ETH going with Bruno though, he has been here a while now, it's Martinez first season. Will he change it, not sure he will, we've a team now of leaders in players like Casemiro, Varane, Martinez, Bruno and Shaw. Not sure who actually has the arm band makes that much difference. Back in the day when Bruce was captain, any number of players could have been captain. If they all give their input as they do, I've no real issues with Bruno having it, plus he speaks well with the press when needed post game

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
100% Casemiro should be our new captain. He is the only one being truly real leader on the pitch. Varane should be our vice captain.

Theonas

Scout
I happen to think longevity at the club matters when it comes to being the captain which rules out Casemiro and Varane for me. It just feels weird having a newcomer captain the team. I wouldn't really mind what the Italian clubs do and just give it to whoever has the most appearances for the club.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
So the question is "if not Bruno, who is?" then have Fernandes as an option.

\He's so good, he could be picked twice.

Dion

Not sure having someone who barely speaks English and is going to miss about 15% of the season through suspension is a particularly great idea. Likewise Varane is a sick note.

Bruno is by far the best choice.

Threesus

I think I am fine with Bruno as the captain. He is very vocal on the field. And he is an excellent player too.
Moreover, I don’t think a captain in football is as important as in cricket, for example.

Loony BoB

I think rather than focusing on switching captain, we need to focus on improving the existing captain further, by discouraging him mouthing off at the ref which never helps us as far as I'm aware (and he has improved here a little over the season, I think) and general theatrics when going down. Improve these further and it'll help a lot.

I also think it's valuable to have the captain be someone who is close to the ref, and I prefer it being a midfielder as a result.

lex talionis

Not sure having someone who barely speaks English and is going to miss about 15% of the season through suspension is a particularly great idea. Likewise Varane is a sick note.

It has to be assumed we're talking about next season. Casemiro isn't going to get sent off twice for the rest of his career, but if you believe he might then he pf course has to be scrubbed off the short list. But with respect to those two straight reds, the first was farce and the second was more back luck than a demonstrate of any malicious intent whatsoever.

Casemiro has a much cooler head than Bruno, although Bruno's English is more than adequate. When you've conquered all you've surveyed and are the best player in the squad -- is there any doubt about that whatsoever? -- it's a relatively easy season.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
So the question is "if not Bruno, who is?" then have Fernandes as an option.

\He's so good, he could be picked twice.
I don't think he was originally there but the people who are on an outrage crusade just struggle to read too much, so we had to give them an option, I guess.

cyril C

I was at the recent Utd v Southampton game, first game I've been into in a while. It was obvious in that game who runs the team, it was Martinez certainly that day. He was the one organising the back line, telling people where they should be etc. I can understand ETH going with Bruno though, he has been here a while now, it's Martinez first season. Will he change it, not sure he will, we've a team now of leaders in players like Casemiro, Varane, Martinez, Bruno and Shaw. Not sure who actually has the arm band makes that much difference. Back in the day when Bruce was captain, any number of players could have been captain. If they all give their input as they do, I've no real issues with Bruno having it, plus he speaks well with the press when needed post game
In any team, regardless of who gets the arm band, there is always someone organising the defence, someone organising the attack. Maguire has obviously failed on the former, which I thought has been taken over by Varane, but we see Casemiro and martinez stepping up. You don't need an arm band to step up BTW. Bruno has been doing that on offence, eriksen is another one.

As you mentioned able to deal with the press, is an important criteria for Captain of the team. IN fact, this applies to fans as well, I wonder how much the tide would have turn if Bale can speak fluent Spanish, and perhaps join the late supper instead of going to bed early for morning golf....

p.s. what about Rashford, an old timer? Is there a bias against local boys? Shaw, AWB, Sancho, are not there neither?

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
I’ve been leaning towards Rashford as captain lately. On principle I don’t like forwards as club captain because it corners the manager and can’t just drop them when they’re out of form.
He fits the bill for local lad and longevity plus he most definitely the poster boy. He seems to developing into a rounded gentleman as well.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City

Pretty sure our best captains from the days of Ferguson were prone to getting suspensions one way or another.

sugar_kane

I feel like the organic choice for captain is the best one as it ruffles the least feathers and creates stability. Bruno is captain most games as he was given a few chances and it stuck. Making a significant change ruffles too many feathers and potentially adds unnecessary scrutiny to whoever it is given to.

This is why the Maguire captaincy decision was absurd, Solskjaer just crowbarred it in because he liked the idea of a new Steve Bruce type character at the back without thinking of how the dressing room, fans and media would perceive it and whether Maguire was actually up to the task and ready to handle the pressure (which clearly he wasn't)

For what it's worth while I love Casemiro and he is world class I think he has the same propensity for Bruno to do stupid things, either fouls or switching off and misplacing passes. It just gets focused on less because he doesn't moan like Bruno.

Bruno is the one for now, he never gives less than 100% effort and is a top quality player. He fecks things up from time to time yes, but his vision & execution is mostly top level.

Rashford could be captain one day but he's too quiet at the moment and still shows his immaturity in terms of decision making too often. Perhaps give it him a few times over the next couple of years and see how he does.

If he sticks around long term though, Martinez would be my pick of the bunch as Bruno's eventual successor.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Whoever is the biggest fan of Britney Spears in the squad should be the captain if not Bruno.
Why? because it makes no sense that you would give it to someone else.

Dread Devil

I think Martinez is the option….he has transformed the defence along with Varane….Varane will be less prominent due to injuries and age.

He may be new to the team but he has proved all of the doubters about his height wrong, he has introduced the defensive team spirit with high fives etc

He can play the ball on the floor, is a current World Cup winner and will hopefully be here for a long time.

He has a huge fighting spirit and is a fan favourite…definitely captain material

frostbite

I voted for Casemiro. On second thought language might be a problem. The captain has "ceremonial" duties, needs to talk to the press and so on. Perhaps Bruno is a better choice.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
I would agree with Varane or Casemiro, but i feel like these two are such professionals that they don't really need the armband.

I feel for Bruno, having that armband means a lot, so i'd keep it with him.

Alcio77

Shaw

People here are a bit underrating the importance of communication with referees, especially in Premier League matches

poleglass red

In any team, regardless of who gets the arm band, there is always someone organising the defence, someone organising the attack. Maguire has obviously failed on the former, which I thought has been taken over by Varane, but we see Casemiro and martinez stepping up. You don't need an arm band to step up BTW. Bruno has been doing that on offence, eriksen is another one.

As you mentioned able to deal with the press, is an important criteria for Captain of the team. IN fact, this applies to fans as well, I wonder how much the tide would have turn if Bale can speak fluent Spanish, and perhaps join the late supper instead of going to bed early for morning golf....

p.s. what about Rashford, an old timer? Is there a bias against local boys? Shaw, AWB, Sancho, are not there neither?
confused, what is your point?

Dion

Pretty sure our best captains from the days of Ferguson were prone to getting suspensions one way or another.
They generally spoke English too. Having a captain who can't speak to the referee is silly, let alone communicate with like half his teammates.

suheilsworld

I don’t care for his antics as long as they are driving the opposition and media crazy. Bruno is United through and through. Yes, he’s a sore loser, but our team needs few of those.
Add to that, I’ve seen very few current United players who are active on social media with his fellow players, supporting them, pushing them on. The same can be said of his behavior post match with young players and team members. He definitely has a connect with all. Also, he’s a family man with no off the field antics.
I love bruno as our Captain

032Devil

• De Gea
  • Fernandes
  • Casemiro
  • Varane
  • Martinez
I've always believed a defender or midfielder should be a captain. For me, that counts De Gea out (as much as I like him). The two players in the team who player's respect and would follow are Varane and Casemiro. But, both of these players are a temporary fixtures and probably past their best (or almost). I like the aggression of Fernandes but he can't react like he did when we played Liverpool. I would suggest two other players who are deeply ingrained in the United culture. They are Shaw and Rashford. Both are extremely good players in their own right have loyalty to United.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
It's the first season in a while where we have a good amount of options. I would say there are half a dozen candidates I would be content with. Shaw and Rashford could be added to the poll list in my opinion

Giggsy PO

Wimbledon Prediction Champion 09
He always does interviews after bad results. I dont know how they select a player after each match but Shaw always gets the worst deal. And he always handles it very well.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
First name on the team sheet and the only obvious captaincy candidate. No idea why this fanbase fails to see how important he is to the team.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Bruno is the captain.
No need to look at anybody else.

If he is not playing, then I guess it falls on seniority and how regularly the player gets into the team. It should be DDG as he scores high in both areas.

JB7

Bruno is the captain.
No need to look at anybody else.

If he is not playing, then I guess it falls on seniority and how regularly the player gets into the team. It should be DDG as he scores high in both areas.
Give it to someone in the crowd before De Gea.

But yes, it should be Bruno, obviously.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
No problem with making Bruno the full time captain. Who should be vice captain? Maguire should never have been given it in the first place. Was it part of the signing package?

Gandalf

First name on the team sheet and the only obvious captaincy candidate. No idea why this fanbase fails to see how important he is to the team.
Pretty sure that anyone without an agenda would admit after yesterday that he is essential to our team. On the basis that he is never injured, is respected by his teammates and is as passionate about the team as any player in the squad he is an ideal choice for Captain. If Maguire had an ounce of self awareness he would step down today.