• Casemiro

Votes: 264 35.6%
  • Varane

Votes: 149 20.1%
  • Martinez

Votes: 129 17.4%

• Total voters

LuckyScout78

I have only one thing to Bruno. Don't use the energy on the negative things. He is using the a lot of his energy on negative things on the pitch. And be a bit calmer in the head. Save the energy and focus on scoring and creating chances.

Nothing wrong about his top winning mentality. But it is how he is using his energy on the pitches. Complaining with referee is just wasteless

The referees should told Bruno before the matchs : "Bruno, no discussion please". It so so hard and close to change a refereer decision on the pitch. Only Var will change his decision.

And the calmness and temper. We might can do something with it. Behaviour too.
So i am ok with Bruno as captain for the rest of the reason.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Yes, I agree on that but its funny because when maguire was the captain the opposite was labelled at him, he does nothing on the pitch..

So what do fans want? players that will show emotion, or players that wont?
I think most fans would be content with a captain that leads by either example or someone who can get angry, not sulky. But again, the players themselves might see something entirely different in the dressingroom than select episodes on the pitch

the gafferjs

Sorry, by saying that you'd invented it inside your head was I not clear enough that I was saying you were wrong? Yes, you're absolutely wrong.
That is your opinion. But I maintain what I said, if the players I quoted behaved like Bruno did they would jettisoned. There is one rule for some and another for others

ScarleyUtd

Tell me I am wrong though? Bruno gets off with Murder, he should be nowhere near the 11 tomorrow but Manager is blinded by him
This is only what is put out publicly. There is always stuff we will never know going behind closed doors. I don't think ETH would have minced his words with Bruno somehow, but a public demotion is maybe something ETH thinks would be counter productive.

ScarleyUtd

Yes, I agree on that but its funny because when maguire was the captain the opposite was labelled at him, he does nothing on the pitch..

So what do fans want? players that will show emotion, or players that wont?
But you can't be waving your arms at your team mates and then not putting it in yourself. I think that's where the criticism is – not leading by example.

JB7

That is your opinion. But I maintain what I said, if the players I quoted behaved like Bruno did they would jettisoned. There is one rule for some and another for others
Which is your opinion, and is not backed up by the facts.

The fact is that we have seen two players disciplined publicly this season; both of whom were incredibly high profile players, one for leaving a match early (for the second time this season) and another for arriving to a team meeting late, both players were dropped.

If Ten Hag thought Bruno's conduct in particular during a game where literally entire team lost their heads was worthy of being dropped, he would drop him.

The fact that you think he'd drop McTominay, Martial or Fred but not Fernandes for the same thing, is utter nonsense, as shown by his willingness to drop Ronaldo and Rashford previously.

Giggsy13

Not surprised by ten Hag’s comments today. He of course is going to put on a strong front and support Bruno in public. I do believe the club will reevaluate the captaincy next summer if Maguire leaves and to determine the most suitable long term replacement.

the gafferjs

Which is your opinion, and is not backed up by the facts.

The fact is that we have seen two players disciplined publicly this season; both of whom were incredibly high profile players, one for leaving a match early (for the second time this season) and another for arriving to a team meeting late, both players were dropped.

If Ten Hag thought Bruno's conduct in particular during a game where literally entire team lost their heads was worthy of being dropped, he would drop him.

The fact that you think he'd drop McTominay, Martial or Fred but not Fernandes for the same thing, is utter nonsense, as shown by his willingness to drop Ronaldo and Rashford previously.
You are of course right in what you say re Ronaldo and Rashford but I would be willing to bet good money Bruno bucks the trend and is not dropped tomorrow even though he should be.

mancsarered

Varane. First name of the team sheet, speaks better English than Casemiro, seems to command respect and has won the effing lot.

JB7

You are of course right in what you say re Ronaldo and Rashford but I would be willing to bet good money Bruno bucks the trend and is not dropped tomorrow even though he should be.
But that's where we differ, it's your opinion he should be dropped. There is nothing to suggest the manager thinks he should; that's not special treatment as the evidence shows the manager doesn't give special treatment.

NewDawnFades

Honestly we have another club captain and he's not been starting for us. Let's get him back in the team and stop messing about.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Honestly we have another club captain and he's not been starting for us. Let's get him back in the team and stop messing about.
Maguire should get back in the team, alright. The U21s

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Who cares. Nothing more than a ceremonial position.
Actually it isn't, the nominated captain has the right to approach the referee which the rest of the team does not, doesn't mean they don't do it of course but they could be booked for doing so, not so the captain

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Actually it isn't, the nominated captain has the right to approach the referee which the rest of the team does not, doesn't mean they don't do it of course but they could be booked for doing so, not so the captain
How much does that matter? I would say it's pretty insignificant. It's just a ceremonial title with little to no real responsibilities.

jesperjaap

Bit surprised by the voting so far. Varane is a leader but is pretty quiet and isnt likely to be starting majority of games with his niggling injuries and the number of fixtures in the modern game, Casemeiro is no bad shout but is past 30, we dont know how many gret years are left in him.

Has to be Martinez for me, fans and players love him, he shows a lot of passion, looks liek he really communicates well with the players.....perfect personality to lead us into a new era for me.

Interesting vast majority of the votes are for new players, new manager and era, but maybe suggests still a lot of players here we dont fully trust, certainly not to lead the side

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Of course not but it would probably save a booking or two
How is that any different than some other random captain talking to the ref or him talking to the ref without the armband? I seriously doubt the captain has any effect on bookings.

GueRed

This season (and has been the last few years)

1st. Maguire
2nd. Bruno
3rd. ?

Imo we still dont have enough leaders/captains in the squad.
Apart from Maguire and Bruno still too much of a quiet team for me.

Another reason i won't be against the signing of Harry Kane this summer.
Not only a proven world class centre-forward (albeit at the tail-end of his career..) a captain, a leader on and off the pitch.

Rightnr

1st. Maguire
2nd. Bruno
3rd. ?

Not only a proven world class centre-forward (albeit at the tail-end of his career..) a captain, a leader on and off the pitch.
Did you just imply Maguire is more vocal than Varane, Martinez, Casemiro or even Dalot?

Bloody hell.

SAFMUTD

1st. Maguire
2nd. Bruno
3rd. ?

Casemiro and Martinez are definitely leaders. They have been here only for months so they can't be captains but we're slowly moving into the right direction regarding leaders.

justsomebloke

Casemiro and Martinez are the real leaders on this team, either of then would do well. Casemiro if pressed. But really don't mind Bruno either.

Rightnr

Can Casemiro become United captain after securing the band for Brazil?

lex talionis

If not Bruno?

Casemiro of course. The man has conquered all he has surveyed and is literally the pivot through which all travels. Arguably our best player. Arguably the PL POY although in the end it has to be the cyborg.

I haven't read every post here, but I'm sure someone has already objected that you can't give the armband to a man who has been sent off with a straight red twice in the same season. My reply would be, yes you fukking can.

Wilt

After seeing Casemiro bollock Bruno for not passing to him ….it’s very obvious who should be captain.

foolsgold

I quite like the idea of Luke Shaw as captain, been at the club a long time, regular starter seems to have the respect of his team mates.

Rolaholic

If not Bruno then the newly minted Brazilian skipper for me.

Mind that Varane would also be a good fit for me,he's unassuming from afar but he's a passionate leader in the dressing room from everything I've seen from his time with France and with us.

Eventually I could see the likes of Martinez, Shaw or Rashford being fitting as well but we've got a handful of qualified options with more experience currently so not just yet.

Rightnr

Just reading this now but Sabitzer is captaining Austria today, Lindelof Sweden and Eriksen was the Denmark captain at the WC.

Crazy how many of them we have.

Abraxas

Never really understood why fans are often throwing weight behind the idea of stripping a guy of an armband. It's overrated in importance and the best guy in the world to judge the situation decides on it.

I mean, you can have an opinion on a players performances and disagree with a manager, sure, because 100% of a performance is delivered on the pitch in front of us but how the feck do you judge 90% of what a captain does? It's not just about shouting at people on a pitch.

Most of the work is behind closed doors, in the changing room, through the week, being a good communicator, maybe in this day and age you can speak a few languages, inspiring young players, setting standards in training. A captain can't organise a whole team on the pitch either. You need leadership throughout. You can't expect Bruno to line up a defence for example which comes back to overrated importance of captaincy. That goes for any captain, there's only so much you can do on a pitch, it's mainly communication and setting standards with your own performance.

For me I've always been perfectly content with the managers call on captains. It's a very basic decision if you're the man that sees every interaction between the players. It's probably a decision ETH made on his first day at the club, it's that fecking trivial.

OrcaFat

I quite like the idea of Luke Shaw as captain, been at the club a long time, regular starter seems to have the respect of his team mates.
Shaw could probably do a decent job and it might help him stay focussed. He is a brilliant player but even when in form he has little drifts in concentration. He’s my favourite player and I always like to see him do well. I think he deserves to get the nod as one of the stand in skips, and then who knows?

AlPistacho

Casemiro or Varane…. But long term Martinez.

I think Varane loses points because we’ve seen him at a crap United and he didn’t step up as a leader.

Bruno as petty as he can be, we have to give marks for being able to stand up even when we were crap and also had no other leaders and now we’re good with several leaders he’s still a main character.