ICC T20 World Cup 2024

Who will pay for the logistics?
What about sale of tickets?
Will everyone be accommodated on the ground?
Are the ground the same size and capacity?
What about the Visa requirements at Country where the match has been shifted?
Will that country waive its Visa requirements and allow the persons who have purchased the tickets in the country without strictly following its regulations regarding entry Visa?
a) Couple of planes. Few hotels. Last minute staffing. Hardly a fortune.
b) There's not many fans at the matches. The fans who bought the tickets wouldn't have been able to see the match anyway if it was cancelled.

It's hardly the biggest logistical undertaking. If they cared about the integrity of the game they would put measures in place to ensure the game could happen. It's just pretty funny to see people in here siding with them on the basis that it's their team who would qualify as a result of it being rained off. We all know you wouldn't be so quick to make excuses if it was the other way round.

a) Couple of planes. Few hotels. Last minute staffing. Hardly a fortune.
b) There's not many fans at the matches. The fans who bought the tickets wouldn't have been able to see the match anyway if it was cancelled.

It's hardly the biggest logistical undertaking. If they cared about the integrity of the game they would put measures in place to ensure the game could happen. It's just pretty funny to see people in here siding with them on the basis that it's their team who would qualify as a result of it being rained off. We all know you wouldn't be so quick to make excuses if it was the other way round.

Yeah, if needs be they could refund the tickets for the existing match and offer replacements on a first served basis for those who want to rebuy at the new ground. Hotels are probably a bit more of an issue as there's a difference between cancelled and replayed at a different ground so ideally there would be refunds there. The rest is up to the supporters to travel if they want to.

I'm just wondering. If the final is rained out, and its SA vs India, are SA automatically winners since they have a perfect unbeaten record and India (due to the washout against Canada) don't?

I'm just wondering. If the final is rained out, are SA automatically winners since they have a perfect unbeaten record and India (due to the washout against Canada) don't.

India would get the win due to the higher number of cattle herded in it's coastal regions x average temperature in the Cricket season.

Fairest way unfortunately.

https://x.com/clubprairiefire/status/1806259335930249324

India don't benefit from playing these matches as day matches. India, the cricket team, doesn't get better at playing cricket because there are more people watching at home. The ICC organises these matches at that time because it makes more money for them. If the ICC and the rest of the boards found a better way to make money, they can schedule the matches at whatever time they want.

Because of the above, the ICC wanted one game as a day game(to have Indian viewers) and kept the other one as a night game(easier for the fans to attend, default choice). Because they had to fix the time, they have to fix the venue. And because they fixed the final date as Saturday, they couldn't have today's game kick on to a reserve day because the teams play cannot play on back to back days. This is bad scheduling on their part.

It's not "scheduling to favour India" because if India had finished 2nd in their group, we'd be exactly here looking at being eliminated due to the weather. It seems a failure of logic(not directed at anyone in this thread or the two people I am responding to above) to claim that this favours India because at the start of the tournament it's a coin toss on whether India finishes first or second - if anything, I'd have said India would've finished second because Australia were in the group.

It is bad scheduling - I would agree with that. I'd much rather we play the game than qualify due to a washout.
Indian players pre
https://x.com/clubprairiefire/status/1806259335930249324

India don't benefit from playing these matches as day matches. India, the cricket team, doesn't get better at playing cricket because there are more people watching at home. The ICC organises these matches at that time because it makes more money for them. If the ICC and the rest of the boards found a better way to make money, they can schedule the matches at whatever time they want.

Because of the above, the ICC wanted one game as a day game(to have Indian viewers) and kept the other one as a night game(easier for the fans to attend, default choice). Because they had to fix the time, they have to fix the venue. And because they fixed the final date as Saturday, they couldn't have today's game kick on to a reserve day because the teams play cannot play on back to back days. This is bad scheduling on their part.

It's not "scheduling to favour India" because if India had finished 2nd in their group, we'd be exactly here looking at being eliminated due to the weather. It seems a failure of logic(not directed at anyone in this thread or the two people I am responding to above) to claim that this favours India because at the start of the tournament it's a coin toss on whether India finishes first or second - if anything, I'd have said India would've finished second because Australia were in the group.

It is bad scheduling - I would agree with that. I'd much rather we play the game than qualify due to a washout.
It is well known that South Asian teams struggle to play early in the morning and that the afternoon matches suit them. Players quit first-class cricket because they struggle to play early as most of them have jobs as well.

It is ridiculous to dismiss BCCIs influence on cricket let alone on drafts and schedules. Cricket is the only sport where there are no drafts and the groups are pre-determined.

It is well known that South Asian teams struggle to play early in the morning and that the afternoon matches suit them. Players quit first-class cricket because they struggle to play early as most of them have jobs as well.

It is what now?

And you do realise that the matches were moved from night to morning, so it goes against the logic you're saying?

If they know the game is likely to have rain later, why not just make the length of the game shorter before any time is lost. If the rain is predicted to arrive at 12, and the game starts at 10.30, then why can't they shorten the game to 10 overs each from the very beginning?

If they know the game is likely to have rain later, why not just make the length of the game shorter before any time is lost. If the rain is predicted to arrive at 12, and the game starts at 10.30, then why can't they shorten the game to 10 overs each from the very beginning?
That would ruin the integrity of the game of course ;)

That would ruin the integrity of the game of course ;)

It is annoying as there is often time to get a game in but for a sport so heavily influenced by weather, potential future time lost is not taken into account at all. There are countless instances of team 1 batting 50 overs only for the game to get called off without a result in the second half of the game when it inevitable starts pouring. I remember India batted full 50 overs twice against Sri Lanka in a Champions Trophy final and the game eventually ended without a result.

Who will pay for the logistics?
What about sale of tickets?
Will everyone be accommodated on the ground?
Are the ground the same size and capacity?
What about the Visa requirements at Country where the match has been shifted?
Will that country waive its Visa requirements and allow the persons who have purchased the tickets in the country without strictly following its regulations regarding entry Visa?
It’s a professional sport. Play the game behind closed doors (if the ICC can’t afford to pay staff for the next day) when the weather is better. Anything else is a sham.

Silly planning from ICC not to have a reserve day.

If Australia's exit was rather befitting following Hazelwood's comments, this would be a fitting end to England's campaign.

Huge shame for the tournament and highlights the ineptitude of the ICC once again.

why do they delay the toss if the outfield is wet? Never understood that

What’s the reasoning for not covering the whole playing area? Is it that it would be to hard to remove the covers with the inevitable weight of water on them?

why do they delay the toss if the outfield is wet? Never understood that
I guess it might change the decision of whoever wins the toss. For example, you’d want to bat second under reduced overs.

Said it some days back if cricket has to grow the authority has to do something about this rain issue. This is just way too silly to have winners determined by washout.

Fix it and not make the game a joke

If Australia's exit was rather befitting following Hazelwood's comments, this would be a fitting end to England's campaign.

Any particular reason for that? I think if a washout means England are out then it's fair enough. India won their group, England lost to South Africa but there's no karma element here for me.

England win toss and bowl first. Interesting.

we have a duty to the game of cricket to make it interesting. so sometimes you’ve got to give the minnow sides something to work with, so they have a chance of making a game of it.

160 would be a great score here. This doesn’t loook easy.

That was a terrible toss to lose, much easier to chase on rainy T20 pitches with D/L in play. No matter what the target, I think England have the batting ability to pace themselves well.

Kohli has had a tournament to forget.

England were unable to chase down 160 against SA, think that will be too much against this Indian attack

Whatever India get there will be a few on here who determine it game over after England hit a boundary.

That was a terrible toss to lose, much easier to chase on rainy T20 pitches with D/L in play. No matter what the target, I think England have the batting ability to pace themselves well.

Kohli has had a tournament to forget.
For this particular situation I don't agree, I think England should have batted first. This will get harder to bat on next.