ICC T20 World Cup 2024

Well that was quick. Congrats @Ish :D
Fingers crossed! :nervous:

Not sure anyone has what it takes to knock out India (assuming they will get past England) but I think the two of them will be deserved finalists and winners - both unbeaten, both have depended on bat & ball all tournament, firing at different times....so 2 well placed teams!

Crazy to think a semi final of a sporting World Cup has a predetermined winner in case it can’t be played :wenger:
What’re they supposed to do? These rules apply if a reserve day is washed out. Due to bad scheduling, this game hasn’t got a reserve day.

Suppose SA v Afghanistan was rained out today and tomorrow, the semi final would’ve a predetermined winner there too. It seems okay to me.

Suppose SA v Afghanistan was rained out today and tomorrow, the semi final would’ve a predetermined winner there too. It seems okay to me.
Sure it does pal.

What’re they supposed to do? These rules apply if a reserve day is washed out. Due to bad scheduling, this game hasn’t got a reserve day.

They should have scheduled the final for Sunday and played a game tomorrow if needed. If 2 days get rained off then that’s life but at least give it a go.

Reserve days are a constant issue in cricket they need to get their shit together.

Please tell me what should've happened if SA v Afghanistan had been rained out today and tomorrow. Should the tournament be suspended?
Play it another day. The only reason you're okay with a semi final being cancelled is because it's your team who would make the final.

They should have scheduled the final for Sunday and played a game tomorrow if needed. If 2 days get rained off then that’s life but at least give it a go.

Reserve days are a constant issue in cricket they need to get their shit together.

I would agree with that, so your issue is with the reserve day not being there. Not with having a predetermined winner.

Play it another day. The only reason you're okay with a semi final being cancelled is because it's your team who would make the final.

And if it rains again, is it okay to have a predetermined winner?

It’s prehistoric really. Makes an absolute mockery of the sport.

if they get washed out the captains should have to play each other on Brian Lara cricket

https://x.com/clubprairiefire/status/1806259335930249324

India don't benefit from playing these matches as day matches. India, the cricket team, doesn't get better at playing cricket because there are more people watching at home. The ICC organises these matches at that time because it makes more money for them. If the ICC and the rest of the boards found a better way to make money, they can schedule the matches at whatever time they want.

Because of the above, the ICC wanted one game as a day game(to have Indian viewers) and kept the other one as a night game(easier for the fans to attend, default choice). Because they had to fix the time, they have to fix the venue. And because they fixed the final date as Saturday, they couldn't have today's game kick on to a reserve day because the teams play cannot play on back to back days. This is bad scheduling on their part.

It's not "scheduling to favour India" because if India had finished 2nd in their group, we'd be exactly here looking at being eliminated due to the weather. It seems a failure of logic(not directed at anyone in this thread or the two people I am responding to above) to claim that this favours India because at the start of the tournament it's a coin toss on whether India finishes first or second - if anything, I'd have said India would've finished second because Australia were in the group.

It is bad scheduling - I would agree with that. I'd much rather we play the game than qualify due to a washout.

They should keep creating reserve days till they can play? Your proposed solution doesn't happen in any sport in the history of the world.
There are 3 games left come the semi finals. They're all moveable. They can play it at another ground. Any sensible sporting association would find a way to get the game on. You wouldn't be saying all of this if it was India who would be going out.

Who here is saying the schedule has been made to favour India?

Who here is saying the schedule has been made to favour India?
My thoughts exactly. Seems like they’re arguing primarily with a bias towards India and blaming everyone else for questioning the general stupidity of a rule. It’s not sport when you have a winner even if a game isn’t played. That shouldn’t be too hard to comprehend.

There are 3 games left come the semi finals. They're all moveable. They can play it at another ground. Any sensible sporting association would find a way to get the game on. You wouldn't be saying all of this if it was India who would be going out.
My thoughts exactly. Seems like they’re arguing primarily with a bias towards India and blaming everyone else for questioning the general stupidity of a rule. It’s not sport when you have a winner even if a game isn’t played. That shouldn’t be too hard to comprehend.

https://www.thequint.com/sports/wor...h-out-reserve-day-india-new-zealand#read-more

2019 world cup. If washed out after two days, the winner is the team that had the higher league ranking. This happens all the time in cricket.

Anyhow - I hope we get a game but apparently it's raining heavily right now.

The whole no reserve day thing doesn't favour India, I don't think that's the point of the discussion. The point is the semi final of one of the biggest competitions in sport can end up being not played and one team going through automatically because of the weather. That is unthinkable in every single sport competition in the world. If England had a better group record and it was England potentially going through we would still have the exact same problem. They need to find a way to sort this none sense out. I don't think these situations help grow the game of cricket and probably end up doing the opposite.

The whole no reserve day thing doesn't favour India, I don't think that's the point of the discussion. The point is the semi final of one of the biggest competitions in sport can end up being not played and one team going through automatically because of the weather. That is unthinkable in every single sport competition in the world. If England had a better group record and it was England potentially going through we would still have the exact same problem. They need to find a way to sort this none sense out. I don't think these situations help grow the game of cricket and probably end up doing the opposite.

I agree with that. The solution's not to place in cities where heavy rain is forecast. Reserve days don't solve the problem. Movable roofs are far too expensive.

Guyana apparently has rain 70% of the days in June on average.

Thats not feasible at all. Especially in the Caribbean.

Mate just because it happens all the time doesn’t make it acceptable. What’s hard to understand about that?

I was only saying that there has to be a rule if the game cannot be played because that's how every sport works. I wasn't saying that it's fantastic that we have only 1 day that can be rained out and the game decided by some other criteria.

That link and your commentary are totally irrelevant to the posts you're replying to.

No, seriously, you shouldn't be accusing anyone of saying irrelevant things having just suggested they move cities because it's just 3 games.

No, seriously, you shouldn't be accusing anyone of saying irrelevant things having just suggested they move cities because it's just 3 games.
Yeah, totally ridiculous ain't it. Imagine playing a world cup semi final when you could just call it off. Far more sensible!

India knowing their semi final venue before the tournament starts = stupid
No reserve day at all = stupid
Elongating a group stage then giving yourselves 48 hours between a final and a semi final = stupid

Day games for the South Asian TV audience = annoying but logic to it.
In the event of no result, the team who finished higher going through = fine.

My hot takes everyone.

India knowing their semi final venue before the tournament starts = stupid
No reserve day at all = stupid
Elongating a group stage then giving yourselves 48 hours between a final and a semi final = stupid

Day games for the South Asian TV audience = annoying but logic to it.
In the event of no result, the team who finished higher going through = fine.

My hot takes everyone.

I agree with this. I find it bizarre they had time for Namibia playing Oman, but couldn't stick a day in the middle for the final

How so? Do planes not work over there?
Who will pay for the logistics?
What about sale of tickets?
Will everyone be accommodated on the ground?
Are the ground the same size and capacity?
What about the Visa requirements at Country where the match has been shifted?
Will that country waive its Visa requirements and allow the persons who have purchased the tickets in the country without strictly following its regulations regarding entry Visa?