Television House of the Dragon (GoT Prequel) - No book spoilers allowed

So Rhaenrya has Syrax, Vermithor and Silverwing + Caraxes if Daemon doesn't betray her

Doesn't look good for team Green they only have Vhagar right?
From when the Greens were shown to be building those dragon-killing ballistae there was a decent chance it would end up as boots on the ground Vs wings in the sky. They still have Vaghar, but seeing her and Aemond flee from a fight chinks their invincibility somewhat.

The casting of alicent just doesn’t work now. They needed to age Olivia Cooke - she’s 1 & 3 years older than the guys playing her sons and it just doesn’t work.

I get the feeling the character is "parked." Kinda like how we had to endure an entire season of Theon getting tortured for no reason other than that they had to keep the actor on a contract so they could use him again when he started being important. Some may say the say for Daemon, but I'm enjoying Harrenhal, although it sounds like I'm the only one. I don't really care much about the age difference - to me she does a good job looking miserable enough to be a mother to three.

Decent episode and the ending was the best scene in this season so far.

I thought dragons were picky choosing riders, now suddenly any alcie straight out of a pub seems to be fine. Also Ulf flying over Kings Landing was very very silly. Like why? Harry Potter riding a Nimbus 3000 was less cringe.

Decent episode but it bugs me how predictable it is. The two randoms we’ve shown you scenes of all season are the two that claim a dragon. Could’ve chucked a surprise in or something. Just like when the darkwing tried it was obvious he’d get burned.

Not sue if I'm just not paying attention but I can't remember the guy from the bar in previous episodes.

Not sue if I'm just not paying attention but I can't remember the guy from the bar in previous episodes.
He was shown in a previous episode telling tall tales about he's related to the Targs.

Personally I can't not see him as the bloke from Phone Shop.

He was shown in a previous episode telling tall tales about he's related to the Targs.

Personally I can't not see him as the bloke from Phone Shop.
Damn you. I recognised his face but couldn't place where from. Now I can't unsee that.

I thought dragons were picky choosing riders, now suddenly any alcie straight out of a pub seems to be fine. Also Ulf flying over Kings Landing was very very silly. Like why? Harry Potter riding a Nimbus 3000 was less cringe.
It is implied that they are Targaryan Bastards which allows them to ride Dragons. As for why he flew over KL it was clearly a bait and switch tactic to draw out Vhagar and then at the very least a show of strength. Remember she wants to end the war with less bloodshed so the more dragons she has the greater peril for the Greens and the more likely they will sue for peace.

"Adam from Hull" sounds like a contestant on Blind Date and "Hugh Hammer" a character from the Beano.

George has always been absolutely terrible at naming characters.
Although it makes sense in this world, it's rather confusing that so many characters have the same name or very close variations. But you have to give the man credit for naming an entire family of characters after the Muppets. It's a real shame we haven't met Elmo Tully or Kermit Tully yet.

Although it makes sense in this world, it's rather confusing that so many characters have the same name or very close variations. But you have to give the man credit for naming an entire family of characters after the Muppets. It's a real shame we haven't met Elmo Tully or Kermit Tully yet.

The Lannisters are the funniest. George thought "let's have Tyrian, a Tywin, a Cersie and oh yeah, I'll chuck in a Jamie and a Kevin.

It is implied that they are Targaryan Bastards which allows them to ride Dragons. As for why he flew over KL it was clearly a bait and switch tactic to draw out Vhagar and then at the very least a show of strength. Remember she wants to end the war with less bloodshed so the more dragons she has the greater peril for the Greens and the more likely they will sue for peace.
Before it was implied a rider would need a lot more than just Targaryen blood to be accepted by a dragon. Now a dirty frightened panting bum steps on their eggs but is accepted because he has the smell of the right bloodline. That's just lazy writing.

And I got why they flew over KL but why the scene was so silly. Why all the cringe shouting and excitement. Boggles my mind, it's a show for grown ups not for kids.

The Lannisters are the funniest. George thought "let's have Tyrian, a Tywin, a Cersie and oh yeah, I'll chuck in a Jamie and a Kevin.
I reckon he named Eddard and Brandon first, then the Stark girls, then Jon and Rob, before going, "Eddard is a bit much, we'll just have everyone call him Ned."

Before it was implied a rider would need a lot more than just Targaryen blood to be accepted by a dragon. Now a dirty frightened panting bum steps on their eggs but is accepted because he has the smell of the right bloodline. That's just lazy writing.

And I got why they flew over KL but why the scene was so silly. Why all the cringe shouting and excitement. Boggles my mind, it's a show for grown ups not for kids.
To me it makes sense in that the dragons all have different personalities of their own, so look for something different in their riders.

Vermithor needed somebody to stare him down, while Silverwing(I think) needed somebody who wanted a giggle. Dragons have been shown to have independent personalities throughout this universe's history, so I'm happy to accept it myself.

The scene of him flying over KL being a bit of an idiot makes sense to me because he clearly is one. I'm kind of expecting his recklessness will cause a problem for Rhaenyra down the road.

Edward, Jon, Robb.

Sansa, Arya, Bran, Rickon.

At some stage, Ned run out of English names and started making new names for his kids.

Jaime of House Vahdy

- Chat shit get banged.
I asked ChatGPT to make a few Game of Thrones style versions of "Chat shit, get banged".

• "Insolent tongues beget swift retribution."
  • "Loose lips earn sharp blades."
  • "Mouths that spout, heads that roll."
  • "Idle words invite wrathful blows."

I asked ChatGPT to make a few Game of Thrones style versions of "Chat shit, get banged".

• "Insolent tongues beget swift retribution."
  • "Loose lips earn sharp blades."
  • "Mouths that spout, heads that roll."
  • "Idle words invite wrathful blows."
If "insolent tongues beget swift retribution" isn't Daemon's next line, I riot.

Found it very difficult to get into or care about this show so far. Thoroughly enjoyed Game of Thrones for the most part, but really struggling with this. Feels like everything is drawn out, while also very little character development to make you care about those who are next to die.

10 minutes before that he thought he was going to die and now he's riding a fecking Dragon over the City he grew up in.

You wouldn't get a bit excited in that scenario?

Found it very difficult to get into or care about this show so far. Thoroughly enjoyed Game of Thrones for the most part, but really struggling with this. Feels like everything is drawn out, while also very little character development to make you care about those who are next to die.
GoT was drawn out though; that was a big part of what made it work in the early seasons. It was a story about careful machinations shown
methodically.

As much as I like HotD it does suffer from a having a load of characters you don't really care about. Even the main ones I'm pretty ambivalent about. The CGI dragons are quite often the top performers, which isn't really what you want.

Rhaenyra needs an injection of danger and/or charisma. She's largely just sort of "there" all season, when she should be showing herself to be the most powerful person in the seven kingdoms. We did get a glimpse of that in the last episode so I'm hoping they build on that.

But on the whole, the show is still way ahead of the vast majority of what's out there. I have to engage an overly critical part of my brain to find any real fault with it.

GoT was drawn out though; that was a big part of what made it work in the early seasons. It was a story about careful machinations shown
methodically.

As much as I like HotD it does suffer from a having a load of characters you don't really care about. Even the main ones I'm pretty ambivalent about. The CGI dragons are quite often the top performers, which isn't really what you want.

Rhaenyra needs an injection of danger and/or charisma. She's largely just sort of "there" all season, when she should be showing herself to be the most powerful person in the seven kingdoms. We did get a glimpse of that in the last episode so I'm hoping they build on that.

But on the whole, the show is still way ahead of the vast majority of what's out there. I have to engage an overly critical part of my brain to find any real fault with it.
Yea, all the politics and scheming from the likes of Varys and Littlefinger were so vital to what made Game of Thrones so good. Not a lot may have been happening outwardly, but they made you care about the characters involved and what they were working towards. That allows you to draw things out because we care about the arcs. I struggle to care properly about any of the House of the Dragon characters at the moment.

I have cared much more about the dragons being in peril than any of the human characters so far - I imagine that will continue in the next episode too.

Agreed on Rhaenyra too.

maybe that dragon has had a rider before, and it thought "riders usually want to go to Kings Landing"

10 minutes before that he thought he was going to die and now he's riding a fecking Dragon over the City he grew up in.

You wouldn't get a bit excited in that scenario?
Excited yes but not in a Harry Potter fashion screaming like a dork. That scene was very cheesy will you dorks just accept it or what? :D

Yea, all the politics and scheming from the likes of Varys and Littlefinger were so vital to what made Game of Thrones so good. Not a lot may have been happening outwardly, but they made you care about the characters involved and what they were working towards. That allows you to draw things out because we care about the arcs. I struggle to care properly about any of the House of the Dragon characters at the moment.

I have cared much more about the dragons being in peril than any of the human characters so far - I imagine that will continue in the next episode too.

Agreed on Rhaenyra too.
The season obviously misses Otto Hightower a bit from that perspective, but I guess the point is that all the strategists have been sidelined which will lead to chaos.

Right now the best strategist on the board is probably Cole, who everyone rightly hates and who made a huge blunder two episodes ago. But I'm expecting a big payoff from Daemon after all the Harrenhal stuff, while Rhaenyra is finally looking ready to flex her muscles.

In GoT Robert Baratheon held the kingdom together through his marriage, and when he was suddenly killed all the planners were ready. In HotD, Viserys held it together through pacifism, and yet nobody is ready when his slow illness ends him. I kind of like that juxtaposition. We're watching children play at war and they all have bigger guns.

The season obviously misses Otto Hightower a bit from that perspective, but I guess the point is that all the strategists have been sidelined which will lead to chaos.

Right now the best strategist on the board is probably Cole, who everyone rightly hates and who made a huge blunder two episodes ago. But I'm expecting a big payoff from Daemon after all the Harrenhal stuff, while Rhaenyra is finally looking ready to flex her muscles.

In GoT Robert Baratheon held the kingdom together through his marriage, and when he was suddenly killed all the planners were ready. In HotD, Viserys held it together through pacifism, and yet nobody is ready when his slow illness ends him. I kind of like that juxtaposition. We're watching children play at war and they all have bigger guns.
Don't disagree with any of that. My struggle is more with just caring about any of these characters before they go to the big battle (which may be only a struggle for me). The battles don't matter as much to me if I don't particularly care who wins or survives.

So how many dragons does she have now?

1. Her own
2. Her sons
3. The girls - not entirely sure of what that relation is (niece/cousin maybe?)
4 to 6 new dragons

So how many dragons does she have now?

1. Her own
2. Her sons
3. The girls - not entirely sure of what that relation is (niece/cousin maybe?)
4 to 6 new dragons
Syrax - Her own. Pretty big.
Caraxes - Daemon's. Also big, but Daemon is a bit unpredictable.
Vermithor - Just claimed by Hugh the Hammer. Only second to Vhagar in size.
Silverwing - Just claimed by Ulf. Also big.
Seasmoke - Just claimed by Adam of Hull. Also big.
Vermax - Ridden by Jacaerys. Smaller than the others.
Moondancer - Ridden by Baela. Also not very big.

I think that's it.

Syrax - Her own. Pretty big.
Caraxes - Daemon's. Also big, but Daemon is a bit unpredictable.
Vermithor - Just claimed by Hugh the Hammer. Only second to Vhagar in size.
Silverwing - Just claimed by Ulf. Also big.
Seasmoke - Just claimed by Adam of Hull. Also big.
Vermax - Ridden by Jacaerys. Smaller than the others.
Moondancer - Ridden by Baela. Also not very big.

I think that's it.
Forgot about daemon. 7 vs 1 is it? And then there is 1 flying around unclaimed in the vale?

Excited yes but not in a Harry Potter fashion screaming like a dork. That scene was very cheesy will you dorks just accept it or what? :D

Cheesy no doubt, but I think he was the correct level of excited for his first time riding a Dragon. :)