Television House of the Dragon (GoT Prequel) - No book spoilers allowed

I was a huge GOT fan and I see many of the same qualities in HotD but for me it’s just sorely lacking in fascinating characters. There were at least 20 GOT characters I cared more about than any HotD character. I’m not trying to shit on other people’s opinions at all, just genuinely curious as to what it is I’m not getting about the show, and which characters others are latching onto and why.
I'm interested because I love the history of the dragons and even though I read about it, I want see them brought to life. It's my fascination with dragons that brought me to GoT and I'll always be interested in the show as long as there's a dragon in it. Daemon is just an added bonus.

I'm interested because I love the history of the dragons and even though I read about it, I want see them brought to life. It's my fascination with dragons that brought me to GoT and I'll always be interested in the show as long as there's a dragon in it. Daemon is just an added bonus.
Cool. Do you not think Daemon has been a little drab this season, though? I’ve been disappointed with his development after finding him intriguing initially. Aemon interests me.

They should introduce the great grandfather of the Hound and have him call all the main characters a bunch of cnuts.

Cool. Do you not think Daemon has been a little drab this season, though? I’ve been disappointed with his development after finding him intriguing initially. Aemon interests me.
I can't really discuss why I don't think he drab. You'll just have to wait and see. I usually don't like villains, especially those who kill dragons.

I was a huge GOT fan and I see many of the same qualities in HotD but for me it’s just sorely lacking in fascinating characters. There were at least 20 GOT characters I cared more about than any HotD character. I’m not trying to shit on other people’s opinions at all, just genuinely curious as to what it is I’m not getting about the show, and which characters others are latching onto and why.

you can be right about all that and still have others watching it with interest because nothing similar is coming any time soon.

currently, this isn't even good as the first season, let alone GoT, but what else can you do as a fan?

If I see one more Daemon vision or a scene of him stumbling around the castle… we get it.

Was not expecting THAT scene with Rhaenyra. fecking guard barging in.

They've definitely dragged out the Daemon stuff at Harrenhal. That all could've been done in two episodes. That Rhaenyra scene wasn't needed either, unless it leads to something developing in terms of Rhaenyra needing a master of whispers possibly?

Assuming the dragon in the Vale is Sheep Stealer. Thought it might be Cannibal initially but it's doubtful we see him.

They've definitely dragged out the Daemon stuff at Harrenhal. That all could've been done in two episodes. That Rhaenyra scene wasn't needed either, unless it leads to something developing in terms of Rhaenyra needing a master of whispers possibly?

Assuming the dragon in the Vale is Sheep Stealer. Thought it might be Cannibal initially but it's doubtful we see him.

Book spoilers suddenly allowed?

Really hope the final episodes of the season pick up the pace. It has been a snoozefest with one obvious exception . Even though last season was mostly politics as well , the characters were a level above the current state and the machinations appeared more interesting as well.

Hope Otto returns at some point.

Are they both his bastards? The shaven head lad is the bastard no? I thought they made it pretty clear this episode that a rider needed immediate Targ blood? I don't know any book lore and it's not been made clear who the previous rider was.
Maybe its not just targaryen blood but blood of old valyria, which the Valerions are from (only other house other than Targaryens to survive the doom). Although from what I remember Valerions were more sailor types and not dragon riders. I don't see how that bastard would have any targaryen blood in him, his father is just Valerion without any Targaryen parents/grand parents.

I'm surprised so many people are confused about Seasmoke's new rider, I'm not the most attentive watcher and often play around on my phone while watching but even I knew what was up.

Are they both his bastards? The shaven head lad is the bastard no? I thought they made it pretty clear this episode that a rider needed immediate Targ blood? I don't know any book lore and it's not been made clear who the previous rider was.
Did you actually see the one with hair ride Seasmoke?

They're really dragging Daemon's plot. I'm assuming there will be a point to it & hope it's worth the wait.

How many episodes can Daemon spend in a state of self-pity and confusion in Harrenhal? Get on with it. Also, it's crazy how much they recycle from Game of Thrones at times. This time it was the starvation fueled riot, complete with one of the main characters being hit in the face with something nasty.

Bit of a slow episode, but at least in ended with some action :smirk:

If I see one more Daemon vision or a scene of him stumbling around the castle… we get it.
Caraxes and everyone else.

994xtj5n20ed1.jpeg

Hurry the feck up and do something.

So dragons can troll too. Seasmoke: "Go on, hop on......Nah."

HBO have a goldmine on their hands if they do a CGI kids show with the baby dragons. Adorable little shits.

Probably over-analysing here but it's wartime and I presume they're patrolling their coast at King's landing so how do a few dozen sailboats rock up unburdened?

Otto needs to come back soon. Show is badly missing a character with his type of gravitas.

They're really dragging Daemon's plot. I'm assuming there will be a point to it & hope it's worth the wait.
I didn't mind them as much in this episode although they were annoying in the previous ones.

I like the scenes with his brother - just adds a bit to his character and what he felt about that particular relationship.

I'm surprised so many people are confused about Seasmoke's new rider, I'm not the most attentive watcher and often play around on my phone while watching but even I knew what was up.
This. Surprised at how many don't seem to follow.

Rhaenyra is a bit cack though isn't she? I liked the child actress a lot more. The older one doesn't have the same fire.

Rhaenyra is a bit cack though isn't she? I liked the child actress a lot more. The older one doesn't have the same fire.
Yeah, I think she’s the big problem for the series right now. A passive, defeatist character does not make for a great heroine and Emma D’Arcy portrays her in a rather dour, one-note way. Milly Alcock’s Rhaenyra was more charismatic, fierce and enigmatic.

Pretty much a set up episode, although Damon tripping out at Harrenhal is getting a bit repetitve at this point.

Ah she was? Guess I'm getting old :wenger:

Still weird that the dude playing Aemond who is supposed to be a generation younger than her is an older actor.
The guy doesn't even look human, he's like an anime character brought to life! But yeah, he certainly looks older than he should be. Especially much older than his supposedly elder brother who looks like a kid compared to him (I haven't checked the respective actor's ages but it feels that way).

Overall I'm quite enjoying this season though. Even though I'm constantly reminded of how much stuff from the first season I've forgotten — haven't had the same issue with Game of Thrones (well, with the good seasons of GoT) that had much more nuanced and better-written characters and character arcs. I think it is comfortably the best fantasy series out of those that are currently airing. Decent writing, mostly good acting, great visuals.

But I'm disappointed that the dragon didn't say "sike" before turning around and burning the wanna-be dragon rider alive. The scene asked for it.

The guy doesn't even look human, he's like an anime character brought to life! But yeah, he certainly looks older than he should be. Especially much older than his supposedly elder brother who looks like a kid compared to him (I haven't checked the respective actor's ages but it feels that way).

Overall I'm quite enjoying this season though. Even though I'm constantly reminded of how much stuff from the first season I've forgotten — haven't had the same issue with Game of Thrones (well, with the good seasons of GoT) that had much more nuanced and better-written characters and character arcs. I think it is comfortably the best fantasy series out of those that are currently airing. Decent writing, mostly good acting, great visuals.

But I'm disappointed that the dragon didn't say "sike" before turning around and burning the wanna-be dragon rider alive. The scene asked for it.
Aegon's actor is actually older than Aemond which is mad. 29 to 27 and they're both supposed to be playing teens, with Olivia Cooke as their mother who is 30.

It's weird casting, to be honest.

Ah she was? Guess I'm getting old :wenger:

Still weird that the dude playing Aemond who is supposed to be a generation younger than her is an older actor.
Yeah, but before the time jump Aemond was also played by a different actor, who was 14 at the time. The current Aemond actor is not older than the current Rhaenyra actress.

That scene was so very obvious. Them trying to subvert expectations didn't work at all. At no point did I think the scared looking dude was going to survive that :lol:

I still like the show a lot though. Especially compared to Those about to die, which I'm watching as well at the moment. My god it's bad.

Yeah, I think she’s the big problem for the series right now. A passive, defeatist character does not make for a great heroine and Emma D’Arcy portrays her in a rather dour, one-note way. Milly Alcock’s Rhaenyra was more charismatic, fierce and enigmatic.
If you’re all watching the season you will notice how the character remarked about how wild she was as a youth before the weight of following the king fell on her

Last edited:
aemonds face looks exactly like the head white walker fella

Ps. I know it doesn’t line up in the timeline, just saying that his bone structure is similar