Television House of the Dragon (GoT Prequel) - No book spoilers allowed

What happens to the dragon / who claims it next if the current rider dies? Aemond being shanked in his sleep is much more likely than anyone killing him whilst he's on Vhagar.
Whoever has the balls to try and whoever the dragon accepts, it seems.

Daemon's wife had Vhagar before she died. Aemond claimed her then.

Oot how do dragons mate?

Easy, you guard a princess at a tower from an ogre and a donkey, proceed to charm and subsequently marry said donkey to eventually make more dragon-donkey-hybrid babies than you can afford with your meagre princess-guarding income. As all dragons do.

I just can’t bring myself to care about any of the characters. The casting, outside of Matt Smith, is tragic. None of the Machiavellian characters are even remotely evil enough, nor have enough screen presence, and the rest of them are so flat. Paddy Constandine was great in Season 1, but with him went the only decent character outside of Damon. Alicent is okay I suppose but the ousted Queen is just shite.

When GOT was on, I couldn’t wait for the new episodes week to week. With HOD, I barely bother checking when new episodes are out. The bloody Dragons are probably the best characters in this,

I just can’t bring myself to care about any of the characters. The casting, outside of Matt Smith, is tragic. None of the Machiavellian characters are even remotely evil enough, nor have enough screen presence, and the rest of them are so flat. Paddy Constandine was great in Season 1, but with him went the only decent character outside of Damon. Alicent is okay I suppose but the ousted Queen is just shite.

When GOT was on, I couldn’t wait for the new episodes week to week. With HOD, I barely bother checking when new episodes are out. The bloody Dragons are probably the best characters in this,
Agreed, also we have come up with a phrase "not another Harry Potter character" watching HOD. Either characters are totally bland or just childish baddies with eye patches and angry looks.

Aegon is/was okay, Daemon too but nothing special.

I don't mind these slower episodes but when the season is only 8 episodes long it is a bit frustrating

Agreed, also we have come up with a phrase "not another Harry Potter character" watching HOD. Either characters are totally bland or just childish baddies with eye patches and angry looks.

Aegon is/was okay, Daemon too but nothing special.

Isn't it a lack of intrigue that's the main problem? They're all squabbling over the throne but there's no over riding arc, no greater peril. So it just comes across as petty wankers being wankers.

With GoT you had the impending doom of the white walkers so there was significantly more at stake. Even if that threat fell flat at the end, a loss of an army felt awful as you knew every man would be needed at the end.

This show just feels like a bunch of entitled wankers being entitled wankers.

Did anyone else think the way the actor who plays Ser Simon Strong (Castellan of Harenhall dude) has an almost eerie resemblance to the Sam Tarley character from Game of Thrones. Is that intentional perhaps? Not just the obvious physique is similar, but especially his manner of speaking/mannerisms.

Isn't it a lack of intrigue that's the main problem? They're all squabbling over the throne but there's no over riding arc, no greater peril. So it just comes across as petty wankers being wankers.

With GoT you had the impending doom of the white walkers so there was significantly more at stake. Even if that threat fell flat at the end, a loss of an army felt awful as you knew every man would be needed at the end.

This show just feels like a bunch of entitled wankers being entitled wankers.
Are you suggesting the war of the 5 kings and the politics of kings landing in seasons 1-4 would have been boring if the white walkers plot was absent? It would still be brilliant TV if there was no walkers up north and dragon lady in the east (though obviously they did fuel a lot of the hype the series was gathering)

Yeah lots of pieces being moved into place this episode which always feels par for the course after an ep like the previous one. Find myself not caring about too much stuff at the min. Daemon’s visions, Corlys weird bastard son thing, who is mad out of the Brackens or Blackwoods or even who the hell is who, etc

Yeah lots of pieces being moved into place this episode which always feels par for the course after an ep like the previous one. Find myself not caring about too much stuff at the min. Daemon’s visions, Corlys weird bastard son thing, who is mad out of the Brackens or Blackwoods or even who the hell is who, etc

I don't really care about the Corlys plot, but after I realized that Alyn is Father from Raised by Wolves, and Bayek from AC Origins, I am now extremely invested.

I don't really care about the Corlys plot, but after I realized that Alyn is Father from Raised by Wolves, and Bayek from AC Origins, I am now extremely invested.

Up until reading your reply I thought he was just called Alan. Like a normal bloke from 2010.

Did anyone else think the way the actor who plays Ser Simon Strong (Castellan of Harenhall dude) has an almost eerie resemblance to the Sam Tarley character from Game of Thrones. Is that intentional perhaps? Not just the obvious physique is similar, but especially his manner of speaking/mannerisms.

I did see a slight resemblance now you mention it.

No idea but they’ve showed him enough that he surely will be. Feels forced though.
I won't talk about the book here but all I can say is that they will have some sentimental relevance for things to come if what I think will happen happens. A tool to make something coming more impactful.

The dude from the pub in KL two eps ago to claim Vermithor then ? He was Targaryen right
My guess would be either the Baratheon we saw last season, or one of corlys bastards.
Who is the guy in Kings Landing with the sick child? Is he meant to be important?
How would anyone who's not read the books be able to answer that?

Who is the guy in Kings Landing with the sick child? Is he meant to be important?
With his white-ish hair and the newly pronounced search for dragonriders you'd think that he may be some Targaryen bastard?

I’m assuming he’s a bastard of Viserys or some such.

pretty slow episode all in all. I care for some stuff more than others.

My guess would be either the Baratheon we saw last season, or one of corlys bastards.

How would anyone who's not read the books be able to answer that?
He said he's a bastard brother of dameon and viserys in the last episode when he was drunk in the bar did he not?

Last edited:
I can’t help but thinking that a plague is coming with all the rat catchers dead and now everyone locked in the city. Hopefully it kills all the characters that I can’t tell who they are despite my best efforts

Best scene of the episode was right in the beginning when they towed the dragon through the town.

Didn't Meleys kill loads of small folk at Aegon's coronation? Not sure why they'd they'd all be like; "Tut tut..." at her being paraded through the streets.

Are you suggesting the war of the 5 kings and the politics of kings landing in seasons 1-4 would have been boring if the white walkers plot was absent? It would still be brilliant TV if there was no walkers up north and dragon lady in the east (though obviously they did fuel a lot of the hype the series was gathering)

Yeah I am. After a while it would, too samey with no jeopardy.

Didn't Meleys kill loads of small folk at Aegon's coronation? Not sure why they'd they'd all be like; "Tut tut..." at her being paraded through the streets.
True but there are RL politicians who have committed serious crimes and they still get votes. They probably think Meleys is fake news. So I guess it's realistic.