Television House of the Dragon (GoT Prequel) - No book spoilers allowed

Think that this season has been much better than the previous one. I actually like most of the characters, except Ser Criston Cole.

It is nowhere near the quality of peak GoT though.

I don't know, this just feels like an insane comment to me. It's not GoT, sure, but there are and have been plenty of interesting, well-acted characters.
I assumed I wouldn't have to paraphrase with "in comparison to GoT" as it was obvious.

Think that this season has been much better than the previous one. I actually like most of the characters, except Ser Criston Cole.

It is nowhere near the quality of peak GoT though.

peak thrones had action scenes, multiple interesting characters, with intertwined stories, plus all the scheming, and wangers. this is mainly wangers and the scheming of a handful of people.

I assumed I wouldn't have to paraphrase with "in comparison to GoT" as it was obvious.

"It lacks quality characters" is a definitive statement, it doesn't really become correct just because you're comparing it to GoT. IMO this is better than (or as good as) all but the first 2-3 seasons of GoT, as far as characters and writing go. The biggest issue to me is the lack of expansive adventure. It feels too small.

It will never be as good as GoT, but this show is perfect for anyone who felt the scope of GoT was too big, had too many houses/characters to follow, etc. HoTD espects the viewers to already know their basic Westeros history.

"It lacks quality characters" is a definitive statement, it doesn't really become correct just because you're comparing it to GoT. IMO this is better than (or as good as) all but the first 2-3 seasons of GoT, as far as characters and writing go. The biggest issue to me is the lack of expansive adventure. It feels too small.
Nah. Season 4 and 6 were quite better in that aspect.

I actually like HoD characters, but would any of them even make a top 10, or even a top 20 in a joined GoT/HoD characters. The old king, Alicent, Otto are probably the best, but still way short of Ned, Catlyn, Robb, Arya, Jon, Daenerys, Tyrion, Tywin, Jaime, Cersei, Joffrey etc. And secondary characters, except possibly Rhaenys are not on the level of the likes of Bron, Hound, Oberyn, Littlefinger, Varys etc.

Still, no shame on that. I do not think we will have as good fantasy show as GoT ever again.

Nah. Season 4 and 6 were quite better in that aspect.

I actually like HoD characters, but would any of them even make a top 10, or even a top 20 in a joined GoT/HoD characters. The old king, Alicent, Otto are probably the best, but still way short of Ned, Catlyn, Robb, Arya, Jon, Daenerys, Tyrion, Tywin, Jaime, Cersei, Joffrey etc. And secondary characters, except possibly Rhaenys are not on the level of the likes of Bron, Hound, Oberyn, Littlefinger, Varys etc.

Still, no shame on that. I do not think we will have as good fantasy show as GoT ever again.

Aemond is easily top 10, and so is Viserys IMO, and even Daemon. I think you're maybe also overrating some of those characters based on what they were, rather than what they became. Jon wasn't a good character at the end, nor honestly Jaime, Varys, Littlefinger, even Tyrion (edit: and I forgot about the most obvious one, Daenerys). As soon as they got beyond the books, almost all of the characters became instantly worse.

And I think Aegon is an interesting comparison to Joffrey. I loved Joffrey, but Aegon seems like a more complex character. Joffrey was just pure evil, while you can tell Aegon sometimes (only sometimes) wants to be more than that. I liked how he reacted when his sycophant Kingsguard were talking about taking a squire to a brothel. He still did it, of course, because he's a terrible person.

Aemond is easily top 10, and so is Viserys IMO, and even Daemon. I think you're maybe also overrating some of those characters based on what they were, rather than what they became. Jon wasn't a good character at the end, nor honestly Jaime, Varys, Littlefinger, even Tyrion (edit: and I forgot about the most obvious one, Daenerys). As soon as they got beyond the books, almost all of the characters became instantly worse.

And I think Aegon is an interesting comparison to Joffrey. I loved Joffrey, but Aegon seems like a more complex character. Joffrey was just pure evil, while you can tell Aegon sometimes (only sometimes) wants to be more than that. I liked how he reacted when his sycophant Kingsguard were talking about taking a squire to a brothel. He still did it, of course, because he's a terrible person.
Aemond is terrible :lol: he's such a cartoon villain, like something from a bad Marvel movie.

Viserys was a good character, yeah. Daemon is... ok.
It does lack quality characters, at least in my opinion. You clearly think more of the show than I do, though, personally It's nowhere near 1-4 or most of 6 of GoT, and even 5, whilst being a step down and meandering, was a cut above due to the great characters it had.

I thought it was immediately obvious I was comparing it to GoT given I listed characters in GoT in the same post that it was lacking but apparently for you I've to spell everything out, ninemic :(

I thought it was immediately obvious I was comparing it to GoT given I listed characters in GoT in the same post that it was lacking but apparently for you I've to spell everything out, ninemic :(

We've already been through this. Of course it was obvious, but whether or not something has quality characters is a statement that stands on its own. I just happen to think it's wrong regardless of the comparison. You clearly don't, and that's fine.

Edit: also, you should know by now that you have to spell everything out. If we don't argue over minutiae, the terrorists win.

Last edited:
Aemond is terrible :lol: he's such a cartoon villain, like something from a bad Marvel movie.

Viserys was a good character, yeah. Daemon is... ok.

It does lack quality characters, at least in my opinion. You clearly think more of the show than I do, though, personally It's nowhere near 1-4 or most of 6 of GoT, and even 5, whilst being a step down and meandering, was a cut above due to the great characters it had.

I thought everything past season 3 was pretty mediocre. I think a lot of it was leaning on characters established in previous seasons and added nothing. Most of the development of these great characters went completely off the rails and they were pretty weak by the end.

Aemond and Daemond over king Robert, Ned, the hound, Jaime, Bronn, Tyrion, Oberyn, Tywin? not a chance son. Even ancillary characters like Jeor Mormont, Craster, Jorah, Drogo, Maester Luwin, Maester Aemond put HOTD to shame and this is coming from a big fan of HOTD

Aemond has shown the emotional depth of a puddle so far. Wouldn't have him anywhere near the top characters of this show let alone including GoT.

Part of the problem is that there is two very clear sides. With GoT you had so many different arcs and families all wanting a slice of the pie. With this it's just a squabble between the two big families and all others are pushed aside as minor houses with bit parts. I was hoping this Season would introduce a few more families to the table but they've just continued with the same two.

I actually don't mind the characters, even Cole is entertainingly wet, without falling into the pantomime villain role. They're all a pretty believable bunch, just I find there's a lack of spark. Or perhaps a lack of wit that the show needs.

Still, next episode looks like a banger, so I imagine people will probably rave about it next week.

For the books, yes. For the show? Meh.
Agreed. Craster probably had about 5 lines in total, i don't know why you'd include him. Think most of them characters were pretty weak by the end - basically any that survived past season 3.

When I saw Aemond standing up my first instinct was to FF but it looks like I missed a lengthy piece of the show when I did that. :cool:
I have to say, it took me a few iterations to get to fast forward while trying to decipher your acronym.

to *** furiously?

We've already been through this. Of course it was obvious, but whether or not something has quality characters is a statement that stands on its own. I just happen to think it's wrong regardless of the comparison. You clearly don't, and that's fine.

Edit: also, you should know by now that you have to spell everything out. If we don't argue over minutiae, the terrorists win.
I honestly think you need to reconsider all your life choices.

My daughters and all their friends love this show. The screams when it's on are unreal. It's definitely heavily pitched towards women this time around. The ratio of eye candy men to women has been totally upended.

My daughters and all their friends love this show. The screams when it's on are unreal. It's definitely heavily pitched towards women this time around. The ratio of eye candy men to women has been totally upended.

Who do they reckon Criston Cole should end up with? Are they team Team Alicent or Team Rhaenyra?

Between all big streaming services, HBO have best casting. And it is not even a contest.
Nearly every character is played perfectly.

Agreed. Craster probably had about 5 lines in total, i don't know why you'd include him. Think most of them characters were pretty weak by the end - basically any that survived past season 3.
He had 5 lines but what was memorable. Believable as a dirty old daughter fecker but still strong and dangerous. I can't even remember the name of the littlefinger rip off with the gammy leg

Littlefinger and Varys too how did I forget them :lol: early thrones was absolutely stacked with memorable characters

Littlefinger and Varys too how did I forget them :lol: early thrones was absolutely stacked with memorable characters
Stannis is the Goat for me. I still hope that in the book he will have bigger part than in show.
Stay alive longer, i mean. Because; grammar is important.:lol:

He had 5 lines but what was memorable. Believable as a dirty old daughter fecker but still strong and dangerous. I can't even remember the name of the littlefinger rip off with the gammy leg
His name is Lary's - Vary's with an L.
Craster was killed off in season 3 so i dont even care to argue it. People will list Vary's and Littlefinger last if at all because they kind of botched their ending but the first season or two they were both fantastic. No one ever lists the Sandsnakes or Prince Doran or Euron or the Slavers or the Dothraki. No one lists Olenna who was one of the few positives from later seasons. Tyrion, Bronn and the Hound were shallow cliches from season 4 on. They were barely characters let alone good characters. I enjoyed them for what they were but even Rory McCann saying cnut had run its course and was boring by season 6.
I dont know about this. Paddy Considine was great last season. I think too many of the other characters have changed actors or whatever to get a good handle on them. I like Daemon, he's unhinged enough to be fun.

It's not really about the looks, she's just boring, I think it's probably the actors, I dunno.

Like, who am I actually supposed to root for? I kinda want Aegon to win cause he's a bit of a laugh and hilariously petulant, I guess?
I don't think it's the actors, it's the situation. One was care free and a bit of a rebel while the other is constantly burdened

Only Daemon catches my eye. The rest are soft.

Still, next episode looks like a banger, so I imagine people will probably rave about it next week.
I don’t know if it leaked or what all the buzz is about, but it might be worth being extra vigilant about avoiding spoilers for this episode. How you go about doing that…eh…I dunno. Turn off the innernets?