Television House of the Dragon (GoT Prequel) - No book spoilers allowed

:lol: at the book talk. Its a tradition from the original GoT thread I guess. That and predicted timelines.
Really enjoyed the ending of that episode. Maybe the original was better in its medium. but I thought this was good tv and a good first episode of the season.

:lol: at the book talk. Its a tradition from the original GoT thread I guess. That and predicted timelines.
Really enjoyed the ending of that episode. Maybe the original was better in its medium. but I thought this was good tv and a good first episode of the season.
At least it doesn't come anywhere closed to the rabies infected, frothing at the mouth anything Tolkien based commentary seems to deliver. That community makes the GRRM related commentary seems like child's play.

At least it doesn't come anywhere closed to the rabies infected, frothing at the mouth anything Tolkien based commentary seems to deliver. That community makes the GRRM related commentary seems like child's play.
I think it helps that the way the book for this show is written. Allows for less dogmatic talk.

Not to harp on the book talk but yeah, relevant.

Oooh the ring of power stuff, that was something for sure

Interesting contradiction i see in the development of HOTD season by season compared to the original GoT.. The combination of GRRM's impressive source material plus Benioff and Weiss eagerness for more brutal and shocking events to be shown on TV led to an explosive mix in the first 3-4 seasons of GOT.. when the source material ran out and only the will for "spectacle" remained we got the last view seasons.. now with HOTD the source material is finished for the whole thing but the new showrunners are doing everything they can to escape the label of brutal and only for the spectacle tv show.. they toned down so much events and characters and it got ridiculous at this point..i saw even posts to bring D&B back from frustrated viewers :lol:

I thought that the first episode was extremely well done. I thought that the final scene was brutal enough hearing what we heard rather than seeing a baby being beheaded.

What happens in the book version?
A robotic Drogon, commanded by a time shifting Jon Snow, smashes through the roof to the theme from the A-Team and completely twats everyone, downs twelve pints, and shits himself in his sleep beside the Iron Throne.

Oh, sorry @nimic I'll remove the spoilers when I can be bothered.

I thought that the first episode was extremely well done. I thought that the final scene was brutal enough hearing what we heard rather than seeing a baby being beheaded.
Seeing the mothers reaction was good I thought. We knew what was happening but to see her reaction to it was nicely done

A robotic Drogon, commanded by a time shifting Jon Snow, smashes through the roof to the theme from the A-Team and completely twats everyone, downs twelve pints, and shits himself in his sleep beside the Iron Throne.

Mr pigeon kinda forgot all about book spoiler rules

Am I missing something or weren't the two dimwits supposed to kill the eyepatch dude? Daemon says something to the effect of "he's good with the sword" when hiring them. Did they just decide to go for the kid since he's an easier target?

Am I missing something or weren't the two dimwits supposed to kill the eyepatch dude? Daemon says something to the effect of "he's good with the sword" when hiring them. Did they just decide to go for the kid since he's an easier target?
Yes I believe they were meant to go for Aemond, but I'm guessing since he wasn't there and they saw the king/queens kids it was easier? Although it would be funny next episode starts with Daemon not paying them the second half cos of this

In the scene Cheese asks Daemon "what if we cant find him?!" to wich he smirks..later Cheese says "he said son for a son" wich means that Deamon's instruction is clear -if not Aemond, ANY son would do..

Yeah it was grim.

Good show this. Had to watch a recap as it’s still one of those that you go “oh that’s back is it” but it’s good once you reintegrate yourself with the world and lore.

My wife watched all of GoT without flinching much but after the last scene in this she’s saying she won’t watch it anymore. I guess it was pretty brutal? Maybe it’s more powerful cause it happens off screen and you hear the noises.

It’s a good show, though.

Yeah it was grim.

Good show this. Had to watch a recap as it’s still one of those that you go “oh that’s back is it” but it’s good once you reintegrate yourself with the world and lore.

Really good to do after a big break and especially with all these different but same sounding names :lol:

gods the writing was strong then!

Anyone else find the world and sets feel less lived in compared to game of thrones? everyones clothes seem too perfect and clean aswell. i know its a more prosperous time for the realm and the seven kingdoms are at their peak but i miss the more gritty and grimy feel of westeros

Really good to do after a big break and especially with all these different but same sounding names :lol:
People complained about the choice to make the Velaryons dark skinned but it was a great choice. imagine all the velaryons were white and blond headed too :lol:

Anyone else find the world and sets feel less lived in compared to game of thrones? everyones clothes seem too perfect and clean aswell. i know its a more prosperous time for the realm and the seven kingdoms are at their peak but i miss the more gritty and grimy feel of westeros
Nah it's fine IMO. It's not been that long since Aegon's conquest compared to when GOT happens. It should feel newer.

Yeah, it's not much of a world in this show. It seems to be 80% King's Landing and the Red Keep, 10% Dragonstone 5% Driftmark and 5% other places.

In GoT you hopping all over the continent.

I was catching up with last years "gems" and my god, it feels great when you remind yourself how it feels when someone actually puts effort into movie or show you're watching. it will never be as good as early GoT, but after torturing myself with Oppenheimer, Poor Things, Maestro and Killers of the Flower Moon in the last two weeks and even trying The Acolyte, as far as I'm concerned, this is the best thing around atm. I almost forgot how it is to watch something without checking Wan Bissaka for sale thread in the same time. it's so great it's finally back.

The actor playing Aegon is great. He's a little shit but you can't help but kind of like him.

A little bit maybe, but GoT also fell into that "everyone was dirty and unwashed and dressed in beige, drab clothes" trap.

Agree on the scale issue, but that's because it's less of an adventurous romp than GoT was at its best.

To be fair they're the kings and queens. Off course they're well dressed

Interesting episode, and it's nice to see the greens are going to slowly unravel. Well, I say slowly, but with pussy boy Criston as the hand I doubt it'll be that slow at crumbling.

I think it's more to do with where we spend our time as viewers in comparison. In HOTD we see the castle of King's Landing and Dragon's Keep, which are home to fewer people, but more of the upper echelons of society. Whereas in GOT we spent a lot of time in the muck, where the ordinary folk are living, and those places tend to be more cramped, so feel like more is going on.

I agree Dennis.

hvznu6uolf8d1.jpeg

Poor Helaena. You can't help but just want the best for her.

Had to laugh at them doing a "But who is who?!" thing with the twins.

Good episode.

The actor playing Aegon is great. He's a little shit but you can't help but kind of like him.
The actors HBO pick out for their shows *chef's kiss*. Just excellent every time. Viserys, Daemon, Rhaenyra(both), Alicent (older) and the Velaryon grandparents are all played fantastically.

Yeah was a bit more of a ‘setup’ episode (I hate the term filler) but still very watchable. Aegon is good yeah. I dislike the white worm actress as I think she’s so wooden but she was ok in this ep. Rhys Ifans is great.

Thought it might’ve been cool to carry on that which twin thing once one was dead. And he would have to try and convince them he’s the right one. That could’ve been an interesting quandary.