Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.
80m on Maguire is fecking crazy. I would have preferred to distribute the risk on 2 players (Joachim Andersen and Milenkovic). Having said that that would have required an efficient and transfer savvy club who can complete those transfer deals smoothly while reacting quickly to sell them in case they fail to make an impact. With those in the bag we could have afforded selling Jones and Rojo recouping a big chunk of the fees spent in the process. Unfortunately that is something we're not. I also understand the criteria of such huge fee as well. Maguire is on a long term contract, Leicester doesn't want to sell, there aren't many players queuing to join us and lets face it we suck in negotiating. Its only fair under such circumstances for Leicester to take us to the cleaners.

We all know Maguire's strengths and weaknesses. He's very physical, he's strong in air and he's decent with his feet. Defensive wise he's solid although hardly WC while his lack of pace is our biggest concern. I think that this squad has that weakness covered. AWB, Smalling and Shaw are blessed with decent pace. Some might say that you don't spend 80m on a CB to then have to cover for his weaknesses. I agree on that but that's were we are at the moment. Hopefully Maguire would close the CB's issue chapter for at least half a decade.

Finally I learnt to take Ole's interviews with a pinch of salt. He promised the survival of the fittest and here we are with barely anyone leaving the club. He also said that pace and quality are key assets for a player to have for him to succeed with United and we're now buying Maguire. I guess he says exactly the contrary of what he's thinking.

Most expensive defender in the world and aprox. 10 mil more then De Ligt. I hope that the people that rate him as high as they do are correct and he will be the rock our defense needs and bring the much needed ball playing ability from the back. Crazy market or not, he will rightly be compared to VVD and De Ligt. Hope we made a good deal here.
So if the price is 80m and he isn't the best defender in the world we just sign nobody ? Champions league is worth money too , if we get there next two seasons then he looks cheap

80m on Maguire is fecking crazy. I would have preferred to distribute the risk on 2 players (Joachim Andersen and Milenkovic). Having said that that would have required an efficient and transfer savvy club who can complete those transfer deals smoothly while reacting quickly to sell them in case they fail to make an impact. With those in the bag we could have afforded selling Jones and Rojo recouping a big chunk of the fees spent in the process. Unfortunately that is something we're not. I also understand the criteria of such huge fee as well. Maguire is on a long term contract, Leicester doesn't want to sell, there aren't many players queuing to join us and lets face it we suck in negotiating. Its only fair under such circumstances for Leicester to take us to the cleaners.

We all know Maguire's strengths and weaknesses. He's very physical, he's strong in air and he's decent with his feet. Defensive wise he's solid although hardly WC while his lack of pace is our biggest concern. I think that this squad has that weakness covered. AWB, Smalling and Shaw are blessed with decent pace. Some might say that you don't spend 80m on a CB to then have to cover for his weaknesses. I agree on that but that's were we are at the moment. Hopefully Maguire would close the CB's issue chapter for at least half a decade.

Finally I learnt to take Ole's interviews with a pinch of salt. He promised the survival of the fittest and here we are with barely anyone leaving the club. He also said that pace and quality are key assets for a player to have for him to succeed with United and we're now buying Maguire. I guess he says exactly the contrary of what he's thinking.
You will never be satisfied.

Exactly this, it's a poor use of capital. Spending £80m should make us significantly better as a team. Signing Macguire will net us what? Maybe 3-4 extra points a season?

There is a gaping hole on the right? We lack quality and numbers in the midfield? Yeah lets but 6th centerback.

And with Magurie's pace it will be fun to watch us play high line. Especially with Matic, whose legs are gone, protecting the defense.

But this is 80m less they're taking.
And we finally upgrade centre back.

It’s nothing to the Glazers, whatever cash they’re want to take or whatever loan is taken out against club will be done whether we spend 40m or 80m on Maguire. It comes from the club’s budget not theirs.

Would be nice if the add-ons are the usual nigh on impossible we like to put.

care to share which parts you disagree upon? I don't mind discussing them with you.
The purchase of Maguire is not crazy. Anyone we buy with the intention of slotting them straight into our starting 11 will be expensive.

Apart from that, I feel like I’ve never seen you not complain in regards to any of our signings, targets, and Ole’s prospect in general.

The purchase of Maguire is not crazy. Anyone we buy with the intention of slotting them straight into our starting 11 will be expensive.

Apart from that, I feel like I’ve never seen you not complain in regards to any of our signings, targets, and Ole’s prospect in general.

It's so tedious on here at times.
Don't buy players who will improve the first team and it's moaning at glazers ed, settling for top 4 at most etc etc

Go big on an improvement and so many whingers get on.

You wonder what these people expect.
Some amazing top level player who costs a 1999 price?

Some really weird thinking going on in here.

Like in what world can you not be happy if our defense will be improved on. Maguire, while not a worldie, is still very much an upgrade on what we have. For 60m + 20m in add-ons, its a decent deal in this current inflated market, together with our terrible history of overpaying for players.

But go ahead and be depressed that we are spending too much money on someone who is not world class but still should improve our defense.
Wonder what would happen (well I know exactly what will) if we don't spend it and go into the season with what we have defensively, because frankly, we ain't doing better than Maguire simply because of what is available and the obvious fact that you can't force players to join us.

Anyway, I prefer we pay 60 plus 20 add ons (that probably means he has to achieve something in his time here) than straight £70m deal.

If we pay it, he's worth it.

we do a lot of things, it doesn't mean they are justifiable or right. we are not infallible, in fact, our recruitment record in recent years will tell you that we are everything but infallible.

There is a gaping hole on the right? We lack quality and numbers in the midfield? Yeah lets but 6th centerback.

And with Magurie's pace it will be fun to watch us play high line. Especially with Matic, whose legs are gone, protecting the defense.

Maguire will indisputably be 1st choice centre back. Having five others makes no difference.

Yes we could do with a starting centre mid and right side attacker but it was always a huge ask in one summer

Beggars can’t be choosers unfortunately, however although he isn’t the worlds greatest defender, he is significantly better than Jones and Smalling.

And that’s most important part of our rebuild, you target the weakest parts and even if you can’t get the absolute best you improve the weak links with what you can to raise the overall quality of the team.

Our defensive unit last year was absolute dog shit, a total fecking idiot at right back, and two chumps in central defence, combined with a keeper who decided he was going to start throwing them in.

We have a bought a decent right back, we are buying a defender who is significantly better than Jones and Smalling. That raises the overall quality of the team. It as a good thing.

Plus, if we improve on last year, with a better league position, going further in the cups, the cost of the transfer is paid for.

If we don’t improve, then it’s time to start wetting our pants and crying about it.

TBH, I don't mind us paying top dollar as long as the player in question is top quality or has the potential to be one. If we were paying £100m for De Ligt/Varane etc. I wouldn't have too many complaints about it. I'm all for paying whatever it takes to get these kind of players. However Maguire is not a player I would classify in that category. Paying this amount for a player who imo is marginally better (and that's based on last 2 years) than what we have and making him the most expensive defender ever don't sit right with me.

That's the thing. What if he doesn't, what if he's just more of the same?
What are we to do if other targets like DeLigt or Koulibaly do not want to come here or are way too expensive? Do we not at least try to buy someone who would improve us (albeit maybe not the best in the world)?

2018-19: Young - Lindelöf - Smalling - Shaw
2019-20: Wan-Bissaka - Lindelöf - Maguire - Shaw

that's the key for me. People will moan about everything, but that back four is objectively a lot better than last year's and that's what matters at the end of the day.

Going to be funny when we end the season with Smalling as our first choice defender again. Have a horrible feeling that Maguire is going to be our John Stones,/David Luiz, fools gold of a defender who is not actually that good at, you know, defending.

I said the fee is crazy not the signing, something most people in here agree upon. Hence why I started my post with 80m on Maguire is fecking crazy.

Regarding the second part, well, I was only highlighted the inconsistency about what is being said and what is being done. Whether that is Ole's fault or not is open to debate. Finally I was quite happy with us signing AWB.

I like this signing a lot. Now our defense is sorted, hopefully.
Obi Wan is a great signing, and Maguire is a proven leader. Iceman, Smalling and Tuanzebe,

We suddenly have a brand new backline, as good as any other than pool and city?

that's the key for me. People will moan about everything, but that back four is objectively a lot better than last year's.

This. Not a lot of strength in depth but infinitely better starting back 4 than last season

Compare all this to Juventus and you'd understand. They know how to deal with things. Although I dont like them.

that's the key for me. People will moan about everything, but that back four is objectively a lot better than last year's and that's what matters at the end of the day.

Will be good to have a team that you know won’t concede every game. If we get it done we need to sort out our goal scoring next.

If any defender goes it'll be between Rojo and Bailly. I also expect Darmian to be sold.

They really should... Darmian hardly ever played anyway so with one (even two if Maguire joins) new signing he really should be out. Same goes for Rojo. They hardly played anyway so why keep them?

I said the fee is crazy not the signing, something most people in here agree upon. Hence why I started my post with 80m on Maguire is fecking crazy.
but it's only 80m if all the objectives are hit. We don't know what they are, but it probably means he's been successful and/or the club won something.

Maguire could be the difference between us and CL football. Between signing Demarai Gray and Jadon Sancho. Between keeping Pogba for another season or losing him for 60m to Madrid on the last day of next summer.

80m would be a bargain.

It's so tedious on here at times.
Don't buy players who will improve the first team and it's moaning at glazers ed, settling for top 4 at most etc etc

Go big on an improvement and so many whingers get on.

You wonder what these people expect.
Some amazing top level player who costs a 1999 price?

Maguire is a decent player and an upgrade to what we have but he's far from WC. I don't mind us signing him for a realistic fee and I also understand why that is not possible as well (hence why we should have looked elsewhere) However lets stop kidding ourselves. He's good but He's not an amazing top level player.

Regarding the second part, well, I was only highlighted the inconsistency about what is being said and what is being done. Whether that is Ole's fault or not is open to debate. Finally I was quite happy with us signing AWB.

Blame inter for Lukaku deal. They really are tight arses. They fecked us over Perisic and then put low ball offers for a player who will easily get them 20 goals a season.

Matic legs have gone so bad that I don't thibk he should be playing regularly, I think he should just be kept for the big games.

What are we to do if other targets like DeLigt or Koulibaly do not want to come here or are way too expensive? Do we not at least try to buy someone who would improve us (albeit maybe not the best in the world)?

I get that part of it, but maybe there are better, if almost certainly just as overpriced, options out there.

Why being negative in advance all the time. I dont mean you just the mood here in general.

I'd guess because Maguire hasn't done enough to convince some of us he is an answer to our problems at the back.

but it's only 80m if all the objectives are hit. We don't know what they are, but it probably means he's been successful and/or the club won something.

I have a feeling that these 'objectives' are quite realistic. I trust Leicester negotiators more then ours TBH especially considered what happened in the past 6 years or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.