Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even though, I don’t care about how the clubs spend its money. The fans deserve result that is fitting of our spending.

If we do buy Maguire for £80m, we will have the most expensive striker, midfielder and defender in the league. We should not be finishing 6th with such amount of money spent. We should be challenging for the title. As such, not getting a champion league place should be a sackable offense to any United manager if they are giving so much backing from the club.

Maguire will improve our defense though, so we are better with him than without him.
Didnt know Rashford is the most expensive striker in the league.

VVD was good, but he only became a top CB after Liverpool signed him. Maguire might do the same. Only time will tell.

Anyone who watched VVD consistently would have known how good he was. Most simply didn't because he played for Southampton and Celtic before them. I've seen plenty of Maguire for Leicester and to suggest he's comparable to VVD is ridiculous. I'm trying to stay optimistic and positive on this signing but the number of people overhyping Maguire here who clearly haven't watched him very often is making it difficult. They'll be the first to turn on him if he falls below their expectations

Based on the limited times I have watched him - English Mat Hummels feels like the appropriate comparison.

I think at least one, possibly two will go now, and although most of us agree that £80 million is far too much, that is the current market. Think there will now be a bit of activity both in and out.
In order for that to happen we actually have to find people prepared to buy them and match their wages. Which is Easter said then done.
Thier isn’t even vague rumours of any one been interested in any of our centre backs.

Anyone who watched VVD consistently would have known how good he was. Most simply didn't because he played for Southampton and Celtic before them. I've seen plenty of Maguire for Leicester and to suggest he's comparable to VVD is ridiculous. I'm trying to stay optimistic and positive on this signing but the number of people overhyping Maguire here who clearly haven't watched him very often is making it difficult. They'll be the first to turn on him if he falls below their expectations
If he ends up playing for us he will inevitably be overrated. Be prepared. And, considering that VVD plays for the great Liverpool, la, means he will be underrated.

Is this a done deal? Who all are reporting this except the Simon fella?

VVD was good, but he only became a top CB after Liverpool signed him. Maguire might do the same. Only time will tell.
What Stam says about him when he was at Celtic suggests otherwise and makes me not be able to understand why we weren't at least looking him after such praise.
“Virgil made a good impression when he played his football in Holland. But some of the big clubs in my country were really not sure about signing him.

“That has been Celtic’s gain. He has been playing at a high level in the Champions League and Europa League and showing his qualities.

“I have watched some of the games he’s been involved in, and Virgil has been impressive. He is a big guy and is physically strong, reasonably fast and has a good mentality.

“He also uses the ball well, and can make good combinations with his feet. He has the ability to play for a big team in England, for sure."

Happy with this if true. Its telling that there was actually less objection on here last summer when we decided to sign nobody and feck our season than when we sign a decent CB because we may have over paid somewhat. Priorities eh :rolleyes:

Will be happy with this, we need leaders with a good mentality, he is very good with the ball at his feet, brave and determined. The fee is high but the reality is we have a shitload of injury prone and erratic CBs who might as well not be here some of which we can be shifted now and reduce the net spend on this transfer, abu media will still hone in on the cost but whatever, Ole doing some good business to correct deficiencies in the squad.

What Stam says about him when he was at Celtic suggests otherwise and makes not realise why we weren't at least looking him after such praise.
“Virgil made a good impression when he played his football in Holland. But some of the big clubs in my country were really not sure about signing him.

“That has been Celtic’s gain. He has been playing at a high level in the Champions League and Europa League and showing his qualities.

“I have watched some of the games he’s been involved in, and Virgil has been impressive. He is a big guy and is physically strong, reasonably fast and has a good mentality.

“He also uses the ball well, and can make good combinations with his feet. He has the ability to play for a big team in England, for sure."
Stam got it right.

I'm sure many ex players rate Maguire as well. I'm not saying Maguire will be as good as VVD, mind you.

The fee represents a lot of their ability. City were in for Maguire for around £65m based on rumors, which is still a high evaluation of his talent. You just don’t look at this from that sole perspective. Maguire is a key part of leceister defense and if we take him from them this summer, they become weaker and we would have helped killed of their chances to compete for top six positions. I don’t believe it is totally a poor recruitment strategy (even though I would have done something different) or desperation but rather the strategic intention to kill of a strong competitor and improve an area that needed a bit of an improvement.

If we continue to outspend our competitors and is top of the rankings in the amount spent on players, it is reasonable for the fans to expect this team to challenge for the title and be in the finals of the champions league.

Personally not convinced City were interested and if they were they walked away because the fee didn’t reflect his ability and thy have to pay a premium for home grown talent. I’d be concerned if weakening Leicester was a major factor in signing a player for potentially world record fee.

It’s not reasonable because the money Is spent poorly and excessively, we won’t be winning league for a while, it’s just reality of our current situation.

Fantastic news. He has leadership qualities, he's as safe a buy as it gets and his strengths align perfectly to our weaknesses, Lindelof's weaknesses too.

He is as a standalone talent worth 80m? No

Is he worth that amount considering our desperating and the aforementioned factors? There is absolutely no doubt about it.

I have no words for the people who have watched our defence for the last 7 years and don't want this signing. Out of your minds the lot of you.

Fantastic news. He has leadership qualities, he's as safe a buy as it gets and his strengths align perfectly to our weaknesses, Lindelof's weaknesses too.

Is he worth that amount considering our desperating and the aforementioned factors? There is absolutely no doubt about it.

I have no words for the people who have watched our defence for the last 7 years and don't want this signing. Out of your minds the lot of you.
Agreed.

No. Van Dijk is a far more impressive athlete which is what makes him that hard to beat.

City were never going to sign him, they’ve done it before, in order to make us pay insane money for past-it or mediocre players.
Nice banter I guess, we should be smarter than that.

I hope he does well here, but not a chance he’ll ever be a 80m player.
He will definitely do well here but he won't change us as much as Van Dijk transformed Liverpool. We have far too many holes in our setup.

All about patience my man ;) That could well follow during next season. With such a tight time frame to work getting players in, perhaps they've put it on delay for now?

I'm not convinced with Maguire but if this is what Ole wants as well so be it.
If it is what Ole wants then it is what needed to be done, as there is no point in having a manager if he is not backed.

Paying 60 upfront and 20 add on seems fair in this market, especially with the United tax - especially if it's the player OGS really wants.

For people that are not too thrilled with the cost, think it's only going to sting more when they end up seeing Smalling partner with him regularly. End of the day, he end being the constant next to whichever defender is performing the best. Lindelof had a good period but, when we started to lose our way at the end of last season, he was the weaker link in that pairing.

But, our problem defensively to me was more with right back and Matic. Right back is sorted but, need to sort out defensive mid or at least make sure that our midfielders don't leave us exposed like they tended to do last season - that includes Pogba.

You know what? That’s a great point.
It looks like we’re paying the extra 15/20 millions just for that alone, we’re severely lacking in leadership.

We’re signing a captain lads!

http://www.redcafe.net/threads/we-need-to-sign-a-captain.447626/

He will definitely do well here but he won't change us as much as Van Dijk transformed Liverpool. We have far too many holes in our setup.

To be fair though, less and less holes. RB week and truly plugged, Maguire coming in would seriously upgrade CB, we’re addressing serious weak areas signing by signing

Stam got it right.

I'm sure many ex players rate Maguire as well. I'm not saying Maguire will be as good as VVD, mind you.
Good point as I think VVD is arguably the best in the world and even if Maguire comes here and does well I don't think he will ever be anywhere as near as good as VVD.

Fairly happy with all this. I feel Leicester have every right to ask for that much for a player who is coming into his prime. Not really annoyed at the price. Just hope he can come good for our defense.

The best response i saw anyone make to the "too high a fee" post that has been made 176 times in this thread alone is would you prefer the glazers cream that off instead.

No? Thought not.

The reaction to AWB from what I've seen has been overwhelmingly positive though?
I’d say after the move yes, but in the months before the move there was plenty of people saying he’s so average at attacking that they’d rather have Meunier.

This would be a terrible use of funds.

No way we should even be bidding more than £50-60m max. And to be honest we should be looking elsewhere.

But it is £60m and then some performance based add-ons up to £20m. If he performs well, no one will care about the add-ons, if he doesn't, the team won't do as well and the fee will be closer to £60m So whats the issue? Where else should we look? Everyone suggests either young players who have a much higher risk or an OAP from Spurs who will demand a very high wage and we'll have a similar problem like Matic only one or two years down the line.

At this point, anyone mad at this signing is delusional and hopeless. They may need putting down.

We need to realize that any improvements to our positions is a good thing. We will always be taxed higher prices. Deal with it little bitches. We also need to accept our current status and focus on getting to the next step of success and stop having expectations that we will buy nothing but superstars at discounted transfer fees and finish on top. We need to quit measuring our dicks against the Real Madrids and Barcelonas of this world.

The best response i saw anyone make to the "too high a fee" post that has been made 176 times in this thread alone is would you prefer the glazers cream that off instead.

No? Thought not.

The Glazers take their money either way.

I remember reading at the time that Pally was the fastest player in the league which shocked me at the time

Not sure about in the league. But seems to have been in our squad. Which when you had some pacey forwards sounds amazing.
Top speed over distance versus acceleration probably.

£80m is a fecking joke. Can't pretend to be happy with this. It's not as if we're getting prime Pique.

Status
Not open for further replies.