Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.
This would be a terrible use of funds.

No way we should even be bidding more than £50-60m max. And to be honest we should be looking elsewhere.

Even though, I don’t care about how the clubs spend its money. The fans deserve result that is fitting of our spending.

If we do buy Maguire for £80m, we will have the most expensive striker, midfielder and defender in the league. We should not be finishing 6th with such amount of money spent. We should be challenging for the title. As such, not getting a champion league place should be a sackable offense to any United manager if they are giving so much backing from the club.

Maguire will improve our defense though, so we are better with him than without him.

You said “no other papers are reporting it”

I said “that’s not correct”

Because other papers were reporting the same story and fee, as well as NBC Sports.
While that's obviously correct I don't see someone simply quoting the Sun as reporting the story themselves. Either way we will find out soon enough whether it's true or not. Hope we get him.

They signed Rabiot and Ramsey on a free. Getting De Ligt. Wish we were getting mugged like that.

Between inflated salary and signing on fee Ramsey will have probably cost them over £100m... no fee doesn’t mean it’s a great deal.

Yep. And the people who welcome this transfer on this absolutely ridiculous fee, will moan about our money being spent on average dross in two years time.

Beggars can’t be choosers unfortunately, however although he isn’t the worlds greatest defender, he is significantly better than Jones and Smalling.

And that’s most important part of our rebuild, you target the weakest parts and even if you can’t get the absolute best you improve the weak links with what you can to raise the overall quality of the team.

Our defensive unit last year was absolute dog shit, a total fecking idiot at right back, and two chumps in central defence, combined with a keeper who decided he was going to start throwing them in.

We have a bought a decent right back, we are buying a defender who is significantly better than Jones and Smalling. That raises the overall quality of the team. It as a good thing.

Plus, if we improve on last year, with a better league position, going further in the cups, the cost of the transfer is paid for.

If we don’t improve, then it’s time to start wetting our pants and crying about it.

They signed Rabiot and Ramsey on a free. Getting De Ligt. Wish we were getting mugged like that.

With Ronaldo, Sarri, squad depth, new Italian tax regime, CL football and a stranglehold on Serie A, they're a more attractive destination than us currently. We unfortunately need to overpay to get our man.

Even though, I don’t care about how the clubs spend its money. The fans deserve result that is fitting of our spending.

If we do buy Maguire for £80m, we will have the most expensive striker, midfielder and defender in the league. We should not be finishing 6th with such amount of money spent. We should be challenging for the title. As such, not getting a champion league place should be a sackable offense to any United manager if they are giving so much backing from the club.

Maguire will improve our defense though, so we are better with him than without him.

But the fees don’t reflect their ability so it’s pointless judging them to that standard. The fees we pay represent our poor recruitment and desperation rather than the actual talent of the players. Maguire is a solid defender with very good distribution not an elite player despite his elite fee. Fans have to recognise that rather than have unrealistic expectations.

Between inflated salary and signing on fee Ramsey will have probably cost them over £100m... no fee doesn’t mean it’s a great deal.

At the end of the day there is no fee to pay and ultimately that will save you a lot of money. Longstaff is quoted as 50 million in this market, how much you think those two would have gone for?

Good signing, will improve you.

Good for the England team as well. Potentially 3 of England's back 4 at the same club. Be nice to be able to blame Man United when England fail again.
:lol:

Imo what has plagued us since SAF's retirement isn't how much we have or haven't spent but rather the total lack of creativity our managers have shown in the transfer market. At 80mil any other club will be setting the bar high whereas our bar for success is anything that's an improvement on Jones or Smalling

While I agree, that £400k a week will almost certainly include the signing on fee. The 'signing on fee' of X-million is not really a lump sum, but divided over the weekly salary for X amount of time, thus the shocking wages.

DDG, AWB, Maguire, Lindelof, Shaw are 5 good players. Question remains whether they’re the right group for each other, of course, as the two centre backs are a little similar. Hopefully we can get rid of a few of Rojo, Jones and Darmian...Smalling I think actually compliments Maguire and Lindelof reasonably well.

Midfielder next please

But the fees don’t reflect their ability so it’s pointless judging them to that standard. The fees we pay represent our poor recruitment and desperation rather than the actual talent of the players. Maguire is a solid defender with very good distribution not an elite player despite his elite fee. Fans have to recognise that rather than have unrealistic expectations.

The fee represents a lot of their ability. City were in for Maguire for around £65m based on rumors, which is still a high evaluation of his talent. You just don’t look at this from that sole perspective. Maguire is a key part of leceister defense and if we take him from them this summer, they become weaker and we would have helped killed of their chances to compete for top six positions. I don’t believe it is totally a poor recruitment strategy (even though I would have done something different) or desperation but rather the strategic intention to kill of a strong competitor and improve an area that needed a bit of an improvement.

If we continue to outspend our competitors and is top of the rankings in the amount spent on players, it is reasonable for the fans to expect this team to challenge for the title and be in the finals of the champions league.

60+20 isn't that bad... If 10 is for winning the PL and 10 for winning the CL, it would be great if we had to pay those.

60+20 isn't that bad... If 10 is for winning the PL and 10 for winning the CL, it would be great if we had to pay those.
Literally no way of that even being a possibility. They are holding out for £75+ There's no way they'd agree to sell him for 60 and then put in unrealistic bonuses. I assume if this deal is true the bonuses are probably relatively easily triggered.

Literally no way of that even being a possibility. They are holding out for £75+ There's no way they'd agree to sell him for 60 and then put in unrealistic bonuses. I assume if this deal is true the bonuses are probably relatively easily triggered.
If you're going to use the word "literally", be sure to put some thought into it. There is literally no possibility that the earth is flat.

I think it'd be a good buy. We've many defenders but many are injury prone and unless they on little money, they need to get their act together because they're either an option for us or taking up a squad number for no great reason. He feels like an old School defender. I think we missed Fellaini when we sold him as he could cover come of the cracks up defensively. This could allow us to use Jones in a midfield capacity (as an option). It might not be popular but again I think we have to learn from Sir Alex. Sometimes you need players for a specific job. I woudn't sell Jones. He's the only defender other then Axel I think who's played midfield at any stage. We need to get the balance right and create options again. What we need is clarity and a squad capable of doing a role. The price will be high but I think Maguires good in both boxes and if it happens let's see. It's hard to tell if someones worth it. I think it would be a great boost regardless.

What are we going to do if we sign him go into next season with 7 center backs?

I think at least one, possibly two will go now, and although most of us agree that £80 million is far too much, that is the current market. Think there will now be a bit of activity both in and out.

Just saw a picture on YNFA that Moyes tried to sign him in 2013, not sure if true or a piss take.
Funny if true, though.

He'd be as good as Van Dijk for Liverpool and if had signed for City, for us I'm not sure.

I hope you're joking. If you're serious you're very wrong. VVD was a top cb before Liverpool signed him, on a complete other level to Maguire. Only similarities are the fee and that they were both signed from a midtable club

Last edited:
I hope you're joking. If you're serious you're very wrong. VVD was a top cb before Liverpool signed him, on a completed other level to Maguire. Only similarities are the fee and that they were both signed from a midtable club
VVD was good, but he only became a top CB after Liverpool signed him. Maguire might do the same. Only time will tell.

I think at least one, possibly two will go now, and although most of us agree that £80 million is far too much, that is the current market. Think there will now be a bit of activity both in and out.
Jones signed a new contract recently and Bailly and Rojo are probably prepared to sit out their lucrative contracts.

This will be the best signing we've done in years. Finally someone who's calm and collected on the ball at the back. He's better on the ball than Van Dijk.

Is he as good as Van Djik?
No. Van Dijk is a far more impressive athlete which is what makes him that hard to beat.

He'd be as good as Van Dijk for Liverpool and if had signed for City, for us I'm not sure.
City were never going to sign him, they’ve done it before, in order to make us pay insane money for past-it or mediocre players.
Nice banter I guess, we should be smarter than that.

I hope he does well here, but not a chance he’ll ever be a 80m player.

Status
Not open for further replies.