Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually fancy Leicester to challenge for top four this year, although if they lose Maguire it will be a blow for them. I doubt they will be able to replace him like for like.

Yes they will surely buy someone a lot better for half the price.

Speed is overrated in the middle. And it's not like they can't move. They are plenty fast enough. But where speed is needed is on the flanks. Defensive awareness is what's key in the middle...

If Ole wants to high press and play a high line, recovery pace on the counter is certainly helpful to have. When Smalling was in good form in LVGs High line, running back towards goal was usually his best asset. Having one fast centre back is good balance IMO.

He'll improve us, no denying that. Absurd money for him mind you but I guess we can afford it. If nothing else thats 2 of our starting back 4 improved significantly so it'll make us stronger.

Seems an odd time for the reports to come out though, Sunday afternoon? Probably take it with a pinch of salt until completely confirmed.

Is he worth that money, no. Is he worth buying, yes. Anyone we buy from England will have this english tax associated,AWB would of cost 30m if we had got him from Portugual. Either way, Maguire will massively improve us. His head is a gigantic magnet.

He'll be the best CD we have but, damn, for 80M I wish we got someone else. Maguire isn't a world class defender. In 3+ years, he's going to be a squad player.

He is as good as any British CB. Compared to the foreign CBs there are better players than him.

You don’t pay 80m for good players, you pay that for world class players and he ain’t one.
We’re getting absolutely rinsed, watch Leicester go and buy some lad from France who’s just as good for fifth of his price.

They’re signing Dunk for £45m.

It's ok bro. Just come out clean. I know opposition fans are laughing at this.
We are paying 80 million for Harry Maguire.
Yes, you read it correctly.
WE ARE PAYING 80 MILLION FOR HARRY FECKING MAGUIRE.
My Sunday is ruined.

Think it's probbaly better you stop watching football.

Good. Stones cost 50m and was less proven. Hes better than any of our defenders at present, don't care too much about the price.

We might actually be able to defend long balls and set pieces now. And occasionally score from a corner.

Shades of the Lukaku transfer. Silly money for bang average player because we have no other options, or rather we can't identify better options because I don't know why.

Forget about the price. Mings went to Villa for £20 mil. If we want to keep up, we have to pay, if we want to overtake, we need to pay more. You're not getting a better CB for 30 mil anymore.

Everyone is getting mugged.

Except for Juve.
Nah, mainly only several English clubs really.
We’re the masters of it though, the money we wasted on absolute mediocrity, and it continues.

Shades of the Lukaku transfer. Silly money for bang average player because we have no other options, or rather we can't identify better options because I don't know why.
Lukaku made more sense for that price, he was a consistent PL goal scorer, which is why we’re able to get back what we paid for him.
If Maguire flops, we won’t get back 40m for him.

Forget about the price. Mings went to Villa for £20 mil. If we want to keep up, we have to pay, if we want to overtake, we need to pay more. You're not getting a better CB for 30 mil anymore.
Crikey. Half that will go to lawyer fees for when he stamps on one of the kids that walks players out onto the pitch.

Yeah, that's exactly what I thought too. A player who everybody knows he's not top class and will never reach it but making a transfer on an absurd fee because the sucker buyer (us unfortunately, again) is desperate and trying to upgrade on what they have but doesn't have not too many options in the market. At least Lukaku has an international reputation and attacts interests from Italy etc. Now, Who's gonna help us to recoup our money when we realise Maguire's nothing special at all?

The price of £60m plus add-on’s feels very high for Maguire (if true) but it’s the going rate and i’m admittedly stuck in the past along with a number of others on here where transfer fees are concerned.

He'll be the best CD we have but, damn, for 80M I wish we got someone else. Maguire isn't a world class defender. In 3+ years, he's going to be a squad player.

What, for a club that has kept Smalling and Jones as starting CB's for almost TEN YEARS?

Not a hope in hell lad. In 3yrs Maguire will still be captaining us and earning 250k a week even if he flops.

Just check his stats from whoscored, his ranking when compared with his teammates at Leicester:

15th in tackle
2nd in blocks (behind Evans)
2nd in clearance (behind Evans)
2nd in Ariel won
1st in total no. of pass made
4th in passing completion
15th in key pass
6th in average ratings

- Seems nowhere near their best player state wise
- Leicester isn't overly reliance on him
- Evans has better defensive stats than him
- has the 2nd best defensive stats in the team though
- best passer of the ball among defenders in the team

Nah, mainly only several English clubs really.
We’re the masters of it though, the money we wasted on absolute mediocrity, and it continues.

Yep. And the people who welcome this transfer on this absolutely ridiculous fee, will moan about our money being spent on average dross in two years time.

Don't care about the fee anymore. Give the manager what they want. If it pans out we win, If they waste their transfer kitty on dross that's their job down the toilet and the quicker we can try someone else who hopefully knows how to spend.

Did I miss anyone reliable saying this is done?

You said “no other papers are reporting it”

I said “that’s not correct”

Because other papers were reporting the same story and fee, as well as NBC Sports.

First post. Satisfied if this is true. This and wan bissaka deal will hopefully address a major problem we have had over the last few seasons.

Under Van Gaal and Mourinho the team was unbalanced. Van Gaal kept referencing how unbalanced the team was. We often played rashford out wide to chase back because our defenders weren't good enough.

We conceded 51 goals in last year's premier league that's not good enough for a team to get top four never mind challenge for a title. Also think Smalling would be a liability when VAR comes in.

Excited and hopeful for Daniel James as well. Next steps is to improve midfield and a lukaku replacement. Like other posters have said getting rid of deadwood is important having players who are not good enough i.e. Darmian, Rojo, Bailly and others are impeding young players we need to get them out the door.

Icing on the cake would be De Gea to commit his future and put in the performances that he did over the last 5 seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.