Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maguire would be our best CB by far and away, probably the best we could realistically sign. I think both this and AWB are cases where people need to see them play for us before realizing how good they actually are. We’re always overpaying anyway, the most important thing is to get the players we need.

:lol: "So we are amazing, so if end up being a bit less amazing, it's alright, because we're still amazing. But you're shit, so if everything doesn't work out perfectly for you, then you're just going to incredibly shit. What a bummer for you guys, must be really difficult".
Fair enough. Keep spinning what I say.

Well, exactly. Further prove my point, why don't you? As a club you're in a perilous position right now. This season could be make or break for your next 5-10 years.

What has this got to do with Maguire though? Our squad is a mess, we're trying to rectify that by signing players.

I'm not sure what you're really going on about here. So you don't think Maguire is worth 80mil or improves us all that much? This seems to be the crux of your point. A point which is shared by plenty others on here too.

What has this got to do with Maguire though? Our squad is a mess, we're trying to rectify that by signing players.

I'm not sure what you're really going on about here. So you don't think Maguire is worth 80mil or improves us all that much? This seems to be the crux of your point. A point which is shared by plenty others on here too.
And yet I'm being accused of wumming.

Does he improve your first XI? Just about. Does he improve your first XI enough to make you a top 4 side, let alone a title-winning side in three/four years? ... Ehhh.

Well, no, because your squad isn't deep enough overall and your manager isn't good enough to get the best out of the players he has. If you do get top four this season it will be down to Arsenal or Chelsea hideously underachieving.
Regarding your point in bold how do you know our manager isn't good enough?
After a full preseason and presuming Ole gets the signings he wants, he will get them used to his methods play and integrate his style of play into them and could surprise quite a few people. .

Have everyone who’d prefer Andersen and Milenkovic ever seen them play?

One thing that should also be noted is that Maguire is primarily a LCB. Other than Rojo, all our other CBs prefer to play on the right side. Plus, Maguire is much better with ball than any of our current CBs (or the other CB targets mentioned here).

Well, exactly. Further prove my point, why don't you? As a club you're in a perilous position right now. This season could be make or break for your next 5-10 years.
Bit of a gobshite statement.
If United fail to get top four this season, we'll regroup, make more changes and try again next season.
Having a poor season this year won't put us back ten years.
If a bad season significantly slowed us down, it would be too late for us anyway given the last 5/6 years.

:lol:

We've just won a treble and back to back Premier League titles, getting over 198 points in the process. You don't do that if only one of your centre backs is any good.
Yes you do, when you have so much possession and have to defend so few attacks.

We will get rid of Axel now as no one will pay anywhere near the wages our other centre backs are on
Why do you think we would get rid of Axel over the sicknotes we have in defense? I understand they are on stupid wages, but I think it our own fault giving long renewals to Jones and Smalling.

Excellent in the air, good on the ball. Fullbacks have the pace to cover for Lindelof and Maguire when balls go in behind.

And yet I'm being accused of wumming.

Does he improve your first XI? Just about. Does he improve your first XI enough to make you a top 4 side, let alone a title-winning side in three/four years? ... Ehhh.

Maguire alone of course doesn't make us an amazing side. I've not seen anyone saying anything to the contrary.

I think he's a big upgrade on what we have and actually is a good step in the right direction if we want to establish ourselves as a top side. You disagree. That's fine. So as I say, I'm not sure what you're going on about here.

Regarding your point in bold how do you know our manager isn't good enough?
After a full preseason and presuming Ole gets the signings he wants, he will get them used to his methods play and integrate his style of play into them and could surprise quite a few people. .
You won 2 of your last 9 games as the team gradually looked less and less cohesive with each passing week, and neither of the wins you got during that bad patch were even remotely convincing. Watford played you off the park and were unlucky to get nothing from that game. And this was after Solskjaer initially got a tune out of them - but even during that run of wins you had when he first started, all the data suggested you were heading for a bad run when the luck ran out. Lo and behold, that's exactly what happened. He'll be given until Christmas when, in truth, he should already be gone.

Maguire alone of course doesn't make us an amazing side. I've not seen anyone saying anything to the contrary.

I think he's a big upgrade on what we have and actually is a good step in the right direction if we want to establish ourselves as a top side. You disagree. That's fine. So as I say, I'm not sure what you're going on about here.
That's fair enough if we disagree. I made one post, that echoed similar thoughts in the thread, and I immediately had 5-6 posters on my case accusing me of wumming. Since then all I've done is expand on my point.

Yeah Ake is homegrown due to spending over 3 years at Chelsea before he was 18.

Well it doesn't look like my wish shall be coming true any time soon if today's news is to be believed.

'Arry for £80m!

If he doesn't perform instantly our supporters will be all over him and abusing Ole and the board.

That's fair enough if we disagree. I made one post, that echoed similar thoughts in the thread, and I immediately had 5-6 posters on my case accusing me of wumming. Since then all I've done is expand on my point.

Yeh but you said (paraphrasing) "if he doesn't work out you're still 6th. How is that not a massive concern for you?"

All I'm saying is that's a pointless statement. Firstly, because you could say that about any signing. Secondly, because that's surely only the case if none of our signings improve us (also possible tbf)

You won 2 of your last 9 games as the team gradually looked less and less cohesive with each passing week, and neither of the wins you got during that bad patch were even remotely convincing. Watford played you off the park and were unlucky to get nothing from that game. And this was after Solskjaer initially got a tune out of them - but even during that run of wins you had when he first started, all the data suggested you were heading for a bad run when the luck ran out. Lo and behold, that's exactly what happened. He'll be given until Christmas when, in truth, he should already be gone.
Don't think it was due to luck running out. I think the reason we didn't playing anywhere near as well in the last few games was due to fitness. I think the players weren't capable of keeping up the required intensity they showed in Ole's first few games, which is an issue I have confidence in him addressing during preseason.

Hope we have him.

Massively overpriced. But they don’t need the money and we are loaded. Hopefully in a couple of years we will be able to buy stellar signings again.

A back four of shaw, maguire, lindelof, AWB is so much better than last year

Hope we have him.

Massively overpriced. But they don’t need the money and we are loaded. Hopefully in a couple of years we will be able to buy stellar signings again.

A back four of shaw, maguire, lindelof, AWB is so much better than last year

Bold bit is ultimately what's important. I couldn't give a shit about the money spent.

He's a big upgrade individually and also improves us as a collective. AWB too.

Bold bit is ultimately what's important. I couldn't give a shit about the money spent.

Main difference with AWB is you're paying that money for a potential world class RB. Maguire is.. well.. he's good but I don't exactly think he has much more in his locker than we've already seen, which is basically a decent but not spectacular upgrade on what we have, so I can see why it's a bitter pill for some to swallow at £80m.

A but overpriced but I think is another good signing for you guys if it happens.
It's ok bro. Just come out clean. I know opposition fans are laughing at this.
We are paying 80 million for Harry Maguire.
Yes, you read it correctly.
WE ARE PAYING 80 MILLION FOR HARRY FECKING MAGUIRE.
My Sunday is ruined.

Only when they spend that money on quality players.

For example, we signed Mangala for £42m and he was total garbage. We signed Kompany, Demichelis, and Lescott for a combined £32m and they formed two league-winning partnerships. It's about who you invest in, not how much you invest.
I agree but you also need the money to rectify the mistakes as well

100% agree

If only we'd done this business last summer (a RB and CB)

My Sunday is ruined.

Sunday, bloody Sunday

Main difference with AWB is you're paying that money for a potential world class RB. Maguire is.. well.. he's good but I don't exactly think he has much more in his locker than we've already seen, which is basically a decent but not spectacular upgrade on what we have, so I can see why it's a bitter pill for some to swallow at £80m.

It's not easy to go and get the next Vidic et al. You have to get the best you can, and Maguire is up there on the list.

Unfortunately we're Man Utd and we get shafted on transfer fees.

He was the best available option who actually wanted to come here. Maybe not world class but definitely an improvement on what we have.

My Sunday is ruined.

Does it personally affect your bank balance if he costs £40m or £60m?

I really don’t get obsessing over transfer fees. It’s **** behaviour.

My Sunday is ruined.

Melt.

Could go any which way with Ole, but to address your point about our final games.

I do believe the main factor being lack of fitness which is being addressed over pre season as a serious issue. In the last 2 months or so of the season many of our players kept getting injured. Look at the Liverpool game even prior to that we picked up 3 injuries in the opening half. This continued to the end of the season and we topped every injury record in the league last season.

I look at it similarly to when Klopp took over at Liverpool in Nov of that season and he got similar complaints from supporters.

Status
Not open for further replies.