Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just dont see it with him as a world class defender and the pace is an issue when our other 1st choice defender seems to be lindelof, that's a slow pairing, would have preferred someone like milinkovic.

It doesn't matter, not really, but if you're going to spend £80m on a centre-back do you really want to spend it on Harry Maguire when you've got far deeper problems in other areas of the pitch?

Yeah you have no idea what you're talking about. Defence is clearly our most deepest on the field issue

Don't think De Ligt would have come here due to our lack of Champions League football. Regardless of what we offered Ajax or what wages we were willing to pay him.
you are probably right - I said that as soon as we failed to finish top four but I'd like to have seen us test him

If he would be a bit quicker, it would be a fantastic addition. I really worry about his pace.

we could "make him an offer he couldn't refuse"! better than £80m on Maguire who could turn out to be the CB version of Matic

He could refuse any offer we make if he doesn't want to come here. You can't force players to pick you.

it's suicide if Matic plays behind them. Need a better and much more mobile DM to make it work.
This transfer if true will free Jones to play as CDM when he isn't injured. There's no need for the Glazers to spend on 2 midfielders at all.:wenger:

The best defence in the league over the last two seasons combined, you mean.
Yes it's the best because it's had the most money spent on it. City are where they are because of the money they have been able to spend since the Arabs came in. Chelsea were the same. Utd as well. Utd stopped paying the big bucks in the last few Fergie years and look how we have fallen. Usually the team who spends the most wins the league

Hate to be the one to say this but City' defense signings hasn't cost more than 50m per player. They got rid of all their fullbacks after Pep's first season and replaced them. They then went out and brought in one o the best young defenders in La liga(Laporte) While bringing in Stones. Say what you want, they have 4 quality CB to choose from along with good fullback options. Though they are a bit weak on the left fullback position.

The question you have to ask yourself is, City's record signing is Mahrez at around 60m why is it that United is constantly over spending on players when their rival is spending just as much but is getting more quality. City will spend 200m and bring in 4 players united would spend 200m and bring in 2 players.

Laporte cost city 50m, Maguire costing you guys 80m. laporte is the better purchase. Better value for money.

That's what's been holding united back, the value per pound is not there.
They have 1 good CB, the rest are poor.

One of the 3 best RB's in the league and one of the best CB's in the league and we're not much closer? Having a laugh aren't you?
Well, no, because your squad isn't deep enough overall and your manager isn't good enough to get the best out of the players he has. If you do get top four this season it will be down to Arsenal or Chelsea hideously underachieving.

Sure, but one could argue injuries has cost his development. Fact is he was highly rated when we bought him.
Agreed but he has pretty much always looked like a mistake waiting to happen - not helped by having Smalling next to him

I don't buy all the ITK stuff, even though this guy seems legit, but maybe we were making progress for Koulibaly, but decided to pull out?
Maybe we were, but he was so confident that we were gonna sign him that he pinned the tweet regarding Koulibaly on his Twitter.

Well, no, because your squad isn't deep enough overall and your manager isn't good enough to get the best out of the players he has. If you do get top four this season it will be down to Arsenal or Chelsea hideously underachieving.
:lol: Feck off.

Yeah you have no idea what you're talking about. Defence is clearly our most deepest on the field issue

You know it’s bad when United fans are arguing over which part of the first XI is in the most dire need of addressing.

They have 1 good CB, the rest are poor.
:lol:

We've just won a treble and back to back Premier League titles, getting over 198 points in the process. You don't do that if only one of your centre backs is any good.

We've just won a treble and back to back Premier League titles, getting over 198 points in the process. You don't do that if only one of your centre backs is any good.

Apart from Laporte, the rest are pretty rubbish to be fair. It’s just you are so dominant with the ball.

we could "make him an offer he couldn't refuse"! better than £80m on Maguire who could turn out to be the CB version of Matic
He didn't want to join us. Just do some research before making FIFA level comments.

We actively pursued him in the beginning but he was kind of using us to get a better deal from other clubs.

Yes it's the best because it's had the most money spent on it. City are where they are because of the money they have been able to spend since the Arabs came in. Chelsea were the same. Utd as well. Utd stopped paying the big bucks in the last few Fergie years and look how we have fallen. Usually the team who spends the most wins the league
Only when they spend that money on quality players.

For example, we signed Mangala for £42m and he was total garbage. We signed Kompany, Demichelis, and Lescott for a combined £32m and they formed two league-winning partnerships. It's about who you invest in, not how much you invest.

Just need your lad to top it all off :D
Nope nope I would rather you stay away:nono:

United is like the good looking bloke your girl tells you not to worry about and then she end up leaving you for him :lol: United is the handsome rich bloke and Sporting are the poor nice guy.

BUT if you REALLY want a Sporting player you can take Bas Dost off our hands:devil:....no seriously please..

Chelsea finished a massive 6 points ahead of us ffs.
Spurs 5.
Arsenal 4.

Chelsea just lost Hazard. Arsenal won't spend even though they can well afford it.

It's hardly a mountain.

Id rather have Maguire on the right side. AWB would make up for his acceleration issues.
If anything Maguires greatest advantage is that he is a natural LCB. It will enable Lindelof, Smalling and Jones to play where they are most comfortable: at RCB. Even Bailly if one wants him in the team, since he completely lacks a left foot.
To suggest playing him at RCB is foolish.
And like many other posters already have stated: speed at CB is overrated.
Barca plays one of the highest lines in Europe and did pretty well with Pique and Mascherano over a couple of years, no?

you are probably right - I said that as soon as we failed to finish top four but I'd like to have seen us test him
Agree with the part in bold. Although we have no Champions League football. I think Woody should try a different approach than just offering insane wages most other teams wouldn't play. I would like him to try sell the club to the player so speak. In my opinion he should try to convince a player to come him by telling them they have the chance to be a big part of making us great again. They may accept this challenge and know that they will go down in history as playing a significant part in doing so. May not work. But I think it is worth a try mate.

Last edited:
Yes do feck off

This is one of those times where a rival fan really shouldn't be welcomed to post on a United forum.
There are United fans in this very thread saying exactly the same things as me.

Not sure if you’re taking the piss now, because it what world is Fred a defensive midfielder?
So your one defensive midfielder is Matic. And there are folks saying defence is your biggest worry.

Stop wumming. The sun’s out and the Wimbledon final is on. Go do something else.

Good signing imo and the window is starting to look pretty good. Huge aerial presence who can pass the ball out of the back as well is a total no brainer. The people comparing him to Jones are well off the mark.

I don't know why, I would really like to see how him and Bailley do in a partnership. I personally just feel if Bailley can stay fit it's a much better match as Bailley is rapid.

Yes do feck off

This is one of those times where a rival fan really shouldn't be welcomed to post on a United forum.

Too much sand in the vagina. Wish mods threadban these rival fans talking out of their arse.

Status
Not open for further replies.