Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a huge pile of money but it needed to be done. We have been lacking a leader at the back for far to long now and hopefully Maguire can be just that. With him and AWB our defence looks far far better than it have done in a long time.

Sounds like a good deal if true. I don’t mind paying 80m if the add ons include getting top 4 or something like that. If he plays well and improves us us then how bad.
He’s in the top 5 centre backs in the league. His passing and play on the ball is excellent, on par with Koulibaly, the only negative if his pace maybe.
Happy to get this done. He will help our build up play from the back no doubt.
Plus he’s a threat on set pieces.

Who do we get rid of?
Assume Axel will stay
then we have
Jones, Bailly, Smalling and Rojo. At least 3 should go. But who will buy them?

Jones would have definitely gone by now if it wasn’t for whoever made the pathetic decision to award him a new 4 year contract not that long ago.

I sort of feel like with him we’re signing a player of Phil Jones ability but who is actually consistent and can stay fit for a season. Im underwhelmed for £80 fecking million.

If you had more Joneses in our squad we'd find it difficult to field a fit starting XI due to his amazing injury record. He doesn't give a feck about the club either, no idea where you've got the 'United through and through' idea from really. It's just that there's nobody stupid enough to pay the kind of wages for a permacrock with constant brain freezes which lead to massive blunders. We've given him an extension instead.

Jones will put his body on the line for his team. He gives his all every time he steps on the pitch. You can't have a team with 5 players good enough to be starters. You need squad players and that's exactly what Jones is...

I really don't rate him that highly, but he's probably going to improve our first XI at least slightly so at least that's something for the money. If he goes on to be a massive success then I'll happily eat my words, and just because I didn't want / don't rate a player doesn't mean I'll be jumping at every opportunity to criticize him.

Wish him all the best and hope he can get us on the path to challenging again. £60m+20 is a much better deal than anything over £70m outright. I am sure that one of the clauses in such a mega deal must be that we win the Premier League within his initial contract with us. If that happens, then the transfer has surely been worth it?
That's what I'm hoping. Hopefully I can give him the benefit of the doubt but I'm just anticipating him not being worth it.

Who do we get rid of?
Assume Axel will stay
then we have

Nobody who's seen them play, that's for sure.

Perhaps if we set our asking prices at sub-£10m we might get a few bites in late August.

Shaw, Dalot, AWB, Lindelof, Maguire, Smalling, Axel would be a very solid group of defenders for next season. Keep Young and Jones for one season as emergency backup and bin the rest. I'd be more than happy with that

That's not really my point, though. The money is immaterial to clubs with as much spending power as United, City, PSG, etc. but that £60-80m, however much it is, could have gone on cheaper centre halves who are just as good as Maguire, if not better.

Is there anything about Maguire's game to suggest that he's the guy United need to build their defence around for the next five years? Is he really that much better than Ake, Tarkowski, Alderweireld, or Michael Keane who you let go a few years ago? And would any of them have cost upwards of £60m?
He's better than all of them, bar Alderweireld. But for him we are probably a step down from Spurs right now so we likely couldn't get him.

I'm not particularly ecstatic about this signing but I don't think there was much else available really.

Who do we get rid of?
Assume Axel will stay
then we have
Smalling does not belong in that list. He will be very useful alongside a good ball playing CB like Maguire and I wouldn't be shocked if he ended up displacing Lindelof over time. From a purely defensive standpoint he's still probably our best CB.

utter joke £80m for this guy... we should hve just added half of that to whatever we bid for de Light

It's not the money spent that's the issue for United here. As I've said, the money is immaterial. But by spending £80m on Maguire you've basically stated that he's the guy to build your defence around for the next few years. Is he good enough for that kind of role? I'm not sure.

Fair enough. He may be, he maybe not. He will certainly improve what we have and make us a lot more solid and fluid from the back. Just because we've spent £80m he will still need to justify his place. If not, we go again. As I said before, if we do ok this season, the fee will be completely irrelevant.

100 m of what? Escudos?
I must be mistaken then my bad. On my news feed it had popped up that United offered 100M for him so I was in complete shock at that fee.

If I am wrong then my fault.

I want to give you a better reply but Im pressed for time but I'll get around to it later, I promise!

Just wanted to mention quickly that regarding the "hurr durr" comment, I wasn't aiming at you, sorry if it came across like that, it was not my intention if it did. It was a generalized comment for the posters that are outraged when we don't "just cough up the money" for players we're targeting, of whom there are many. We've had some very bad spends that didn't work out at all. Some to a more varying degree, but players like Memphis Depay and Angel Di Maria stick out as especially bad signings. Alexis Sanchez also sticks out, but to be fair at the time he was pouring in goals like hot tomatoes and we traded a player outright for him. His legacy here would be less provocative if he had a "reasonable" salary in football terms, as opposed to the albatross he carries today.

I feel confident that our gross spend this transfer window (with add-ons) will eclipse £220 million with the addition of Bruno Fernandes and Sean Longstaff (I feel confident the club will get this done, even if Newcastle are playing hardball: their owner Mike Ashley has been trying to sell Newcastle since 2017, Newcastle has virtually no transfer budget of consequence and the club has to sell in order to purchase. I think that a bid of £25 million + 5 in add-ons will get the deal done eventually), solidifying Ed Woodwards earlier comments about supporting the manager in the market.
Regarding the "hurr durr" no need for the apology, no offence taken, thanks anyway. Agreed on the signings you mentioned although at the time, I personally thought Memphis was going to do well after the season he had before although it was in an inferior League.

I thought Sanchez would have done better as you said he was banging in goals prior to his move but for the wages we pay him, a return of 1 League goal all season is totally unacceptable but I think we made a big mistake regarding Sanchez' wage, as any player who comes in who is of similar ability is going to want the same wages or even higher, I fear. Didn't realise our total outlay was going to be £220m. Thanks for explaining this and also thanks for saying you will expand on your response later mate :)

60m+20m my friend. 100m is something that even Ed won't be dumb enough to pay.
Ohhh ok thank you for clearing that up:lol:

So it is 60M plus 20M in objectives?

I sort of feel like with him we’re signing a player of Phil Jones ability but who is actually consistent and can stay fit for a season. Im underwhelmed for £80 fecking million.
Better on the ball with both feet, much better in the air and much better at attacking set pieces. Don't think anyone can complain too much and I think everyone will be happy having 2 CBs comfortable on the ball while also having a dominant CB when it comes to aerial prowess. Don't think he's Van Dijk level, but I think he'll have a huge impact and we won't have complaints over anything regarding our CBs or right back next season.

The main problems/complaints next season will be Shaw, the midfield (apart from Pogba) and then probably a lack of consistency from any attacker.

utter joke £80m for this guy... we should hve just added half of that to whatever we bid for de Light
he. didn't. want. to. come.

it really doesn't matter how much we would have added. You can't put a gun to a player's head and force him to sign.

That's not really my point, though. The money is immaterial to clubs with as much spending power as United, City, PSG, etc. but that £60-80m, however much it is, could have gone on cheaper centre halves who are just as good as Maguire, if not better.

Is there anything about Maguire's game to suggest that he's the guy United need to build their defence around for the next five years? Is he really that much better than Ake, Tarkowski, Alderweireld, or Michael Keane who you let go a few years ago? And would any of them have cost upwards of £60m?

Yeah you make a good point, but I think Ole wants him more for his personality, desire, etc. Think he's more of a leader then the ones you mentioned, future captain material and apparently he asked the England Int'l lads at United what he's like in the dressing room and he got really good feedback. I like this approach because we have so many weak minded players in our team. The fee is insane but I really don't care, it's not my money.

Why do people keep saying Maguire has leadership ability? Where? The Leicester watchers say he doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.