Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.
he. didn't. want. to. come.

it really doesn't matter how much we would have added. You can't put a gun to a player's head and force him to sign.

I can't understand some of the fans calling for De Ligt. If you cannot convince a player to come, what is the point of bidding to for the player? rather go for someone who is attainable?

which works out to €67m up front and €90m including add-ons. People will just always use the latter figure, it's more dramatic.
Yeah and I have no idea why. We don't know what the add-ons are, they could be anything like if Maguire is named player of the year Leicester are paid a fee or if United win the PL etc.

Exactly this, it's a poor use of capital. Spending £80m should make us significantly better as a team. Signing Macguire will net us what? Maybe 3-4 extra points a season?

Sky and UK's cycling success has been based largely on focusing on marginal gains. Improving 1% across many areas. The money is not important...if we don't spend it, it goes to the glazers, not to be spent elsewhere. I would rather marginally improve in every position than not, because together it makes a strong side.

Who do we get rid of?
Assume Axel will stay
then we have
Jones, Bailly, Smalling and Rojo. At least 3 should go. But who will buy them?
Maguire, Lindelof, Smalling, Tuanzebe, then one of Bailly or Jones completes a good set of 5 CBs IMO. Rojo is pointless, then probably Bailly should go (since Jones recently got a contract, qualifies as home grown, won't complain over a small role and Bailly actually being able to demand some actual transfer fee).

Lindelof-Maguire doesn't look to me as a well balanced CB duo. When losing the ball, we will have to sit very deep in our half to get the best of them, especially with Matic as our Cdm.

I sort of feel like with him we’re signing a player of Phil Jones ability but who is actually consistent and can stay fit for a season. Im underwhelmed for £80 fecking million.

You are actually not wrong. Jones at 27 now, actually has 27 England caps. When we bought him he was highly rated, people even compared him with Duncan Edwards, the legend.
On the other hand, Maguire at 26 now, has 20 England caps. In terms of potential and International experience, they are actually very similar.

Of course we all know Jones career has been largely hampered by injuries.

Tongue and cheek - Maguire would be one hell of a player as a CDM/box to box, shame he is so badly needed at CB

He's better than all of them, bar Alderweireld. But for him we are probably a step down from Spurs right now so we likely couldn't get him.
I don't think he's better than them to the tune of £80m, though. And thinking about it, I'm not sure he's that much of an upgrade on what you already have. He's a good centre-back for a team outside the top six, whose ambitions are probably 7th and a good cup run, but as the leading defender of a team whose ambitions are to compete in at least three competitions and make the top four? I guess there's only one way to find out.

I'm not sure why but this summer feels like a moment for United. As a couple of other posters here have mentioned, you're just not the team you were when it comes to drawing in the genuinely top talent, which is why Maguire is your "best option". De Ligt was never going to come in, your big money signings from three years go already want out, and for all the money you've spent already this summer (£130m~ if you include Maguire), you're not really much closer to finishing 4th than you were last season.

Interesting times at Old Trafford.

Maguire, Lindelof, Smalling, Tuanzebe, then one of Bailly or Jones completes a good set of 5 CBs IMO. Rojo is pointless, then probably Bailly should go (since Jones recently got a contract, qualifies as home grown, won't complain over a small role and Bailly actually being able to demand some actual transfer fee).
Agree with this 100%

You are actually not wrong. Jones at 27 now, actually has 27 England caps. When we bought him he was highly rated, people even compared him with Duncan Edwards, the legend.
On the other hand, Maguire at 26 now, has 20 England caps. In terms of potential and International experience, they are actually very similar.

Of course we all know Jones career has been largely hampered by injuries.
Jones has also been hampered by not being very good :lol:

Yeah and I have no idea why. We don't know what the add-ons are, they could be anything like if Maguire is named player of the year Leicester are paid a fee or if United win the PL etc.
I have already seen a German article saying "United pay record fee for a defender" in the headline, only to have the "if all objectives are met" part buried in the article. Just the typical sensationalism these days ... it blows, but what can you do.

I don't think he's better than them to the tune of £80m, though. And thinking about it, I'm not sure he's that much of an upgrade on what you already have. He's a good centre-back for a team outside the top six, whose ambitions are probably 7th and a good cup run, but as the leading defender of a team whose ambitions are to compete in at least three competitions and make the top four? I guess there's only one way to find out.

I'm not sure why but this summer feels like a moment for United. As a couple of other posters here have mentioned, you're just not the team you were when it comes to drawing in the genuinely top talent, which is why Maguire is your "best option". De Ligt was never going to come in, your big money signings from three years go already want out, and for all the money you've spent already this summer (£130m~ if you include Maguire), you're not really much closer to finishing 4th than you were last season.

You're contradicting yourself here because you just said money doesn't matter to a club like Utd so why are you even mentioning that?

If our "stars" played with the same "do or die" attitude that Jones has we would be a lot better off than we have been. Jones may not be good enough to be a starter week in and week out, but I would take him in our squad any day over a bunch of primadonnas that couldn't give a feck about the team. Jones is United through and through and a good option as our 4th or 5th defender...
Decent post and I particularly agrree with the part in bold But the negative to this is I fear he is going to get himslef sent off or injure himself or other players. But we cant have the best of both worlds.

Oh well, Simon said it.
Aaah!!
Set in stone. The god of ITKs

:wenger:
I want to believe this guy is a true "ITK", but something about this Bruno Fernandes stuff stinks to high heaven. None of the journalists I consider fairly reliable have said we're really that interested in him. And now that it seems like Pogba is staying, Fernandes and Pogba in the same midfield seems like defensive suicide -- unless we're really confident in our new, shiny backline.

I have already seen a German article saying "United pay record fee for a defender" in the headline, only to have the "if all objectives are met" part buried in the article. Just the typical sensationalism these days ... it blows, but what can you do.
Aye and our fanbase eats it up.

the worrying thing is that times are not interesting at OT

This bloke is legit, isn't he? Called James and AWB, then said we were working on Maguire and Bruno. Now it seems Maguire is sorted, hope Bruno is really the next one :drool:
He also said we were making progress for Koulibaly.

Obscene amounts of money. I fear the type of fee we’ll be quoted if we ever tried to sign another CB from the PL.

You're contradicting yourself here because you just said money doesn't matter to a club like Utd so why are you even mentioning that?
It doesn't matter, not really, but if you're going to spend £80m on a centre-back do you really want to spend it on Harry Maguire when you've got far deeper problems in other areas of the pitch?

I want to believe this guy is a true "ITK", but something about this Bruno Fernandes stuff stinks to high heaven. None of the journalists I consider fairly reliable have said we're really that interested in him. And now that it seems like Pogba is staying, Fernandes and Pogba in the same midfield seems like defensive suicide -- unless we're really confident in our new, shiny backline.
it's suicide if Matic plays behind them. Need a better and much more mobile DM to make it work.

But we don't know if these add-ons will be paid so the correct fee is £60M because that's what Leicester are guaranteed to get.

Whatever though say 90M if you want to be over dramatic.

When it's your team, use the lower figure. When it's a rival, use the higher figure. That's how it works.

One of the 3 best RB's in the league and one of the best CB's in the league and we're not much closer? Having a laugh aren't you?

Ole said he wanted an English core and be sure is getting it. Young too so these guys could be the core of United for years.

He also said we were making progress for Koulibaly.

I don't buy all the ITK stuff, even though this guy seems legit, but maybe we were making progress for Koulibaly, but decided to pull out?

Status
Not open for further replies.