2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
A game where they never really looke threatening to us and we managed to pass between lines, something we have struggled with immensely before that.
Maguire is good defensively but his passing and ball movement under pressure is severely lacking.
Varane is terrible on the ball.

He was good at defending, but our overall play from the back and especially Onana suffered from having him in front.
We looked a different team when it was finally Licha back, and our best performance was with Varane and Licha together.

There are very, very few defenders as good on the ball as Martinez.

The way G.Jesus turned him inside out in that first half showed why he shouldn't be at this club.

The way G.Jesus turned him inside out in that first half showed why he shouldn't be at this club.

Not only got turned but the recovery was like an oil tanker trying to turn around. As he realised what was happening, then also decided to grab Jesus. That moment in a PL game is likely a Pen and booking. Absolutely woeful.

You'd think he's the 36 year old and Jonny Evans was 31
Came here to say this exactly. You watch the two of them and its clear who has played in title winning teams even with the 5 year age gap. In my opinion Evans should firmly be ahead of Maguire in the pecking order.

Anyone got that video of G.Jesus turning inside out?

Came here to say this exactly. You watch the two of them and its clear who has played in title winning teams even with the 5 year age gap. In my opinion Evans should firmly be ahead of Maguire in the pecking order.

It's true, but in many ways it's such a grim statement. Harry Maguire and Jonny Evans at the club in 2024. Christ.

He’s on huge wages and the clubs that would be interested don’t pay those sort of wages. He's leaving on a free.

Was fine last night. Strong in the air as usual.

With how critical you are of some of our other players its absolute bonkers how you rate Maguire. His head is probably still spinning from getting absolutely turned inside out by G. Jesus of all people.
He is indeed strong in the air...and thats it.

With how critical you are of some of our other players its absolute bonkers how you rate Maguire. His head is probably still spinning from getting absolutely turned inside out by G. Jesus of all people.
He is indeed strong in the air...and thats it.
Great bit of skill from Jesus wasn't it.

Dude, what is up with all these sarcastic posts...protest vote? :lol: You are the Maguire thread Sarni.
Nothing sarcastic about it. He was fine.

I do find it funny how annoyed some get by saying it though :lol:

He was slow and mediocre. The way Jesus bamboozled him showed why he needs to move on.
Nah it was one good turn that people are being hysterical about. If he'd missed the ball like Yoro did in the first minute, you'd all be going on about that too. Neither mean anything.

As things stand it looks like he’ll be starting the season next to Martinez.

Maguire was and is terrible. Not a good fit for us, he never was. The fact that he is still here after years of failure speaks for itself.

He and McTominay symbolise our mediocre status like Lingard used to. As long as these two wear a United shirt, we ain't going anywhere. Please get rid.

Harry partly to blame for the first Arsenal goal. Why defenders feel the need to raise their arms to assist the AR in offside calls instead of focusing on getting into position or closing down angles I’ll never understand. Let the AR make the call. Keep focus and stay on your toes Harry.

Was shaking my head when Jesus skinned him so easily. He is a poor one v one defender. Since we can't sell, he'll be fine to carry for the bottom half teams but I don't want to see him starting big games.

He's been out for months and already people are hating on him on what two 45min pre-season games..

Great bit of skill from Jesus wasn't it.
Yes it was but for someone who cost us 80m he shouldn't be getting turned there.

We've had some shit defenders since 2013, Maguire is the worst I've seen, Blind was light weight even he won't get turned as easy as Maguire did last night.

Say what you want about microwave Barry but at least he can stay fit, he's been available for the vast majority of games which is more than can be said for half of our team these days.

Yes it was but for someone who cost us 80m he shouldn't be getting turned there.

We've had some shit defenders since 2013, Maguire is the worst I've seen, Blind was light weight even he won't get turned as easy as Maguire did last night.
Someone who cost us £60m shouldn't be missing the ball like Yoro did. See how easy this nonsense is?

We get it, you don't like him.

Someone who cost us £60m shouldn't be missing the ball like Yoro did. See how easy this nonsense is?

We get it, you don't like him.
No you don't get it, My problem with him is there no pride or honor in his defending at all.

Defenders pride themselves by not letting an attack ghost passing them, no Defender who takes pride in defending allows G.Jesus ghost them like that,

I mean it was a harmless ball into the corner, if he had just stayed goal side he would have successfully sent Jesus into the corner flag area, but Maguire being as brain fart as he is show Jesus the inside by pressing the wrong angle of the pitch.

And don't make it sound like it's the first time we are seeing that happen with him, as for Yoro if we continue to see that sort of lack of concentration with him I'll be the first to be critical of him, for now I'll give him a pass as the did show some guts to recover and block the shot anyway something Maguire would never do in that situation.

My bad. For some reason I was confused that action led to the goal.

However, I don't know what are you achieving by this comparison to Yoro, who is still young and has played one and a half halves of football with us.

'Arry is supposed to be a seasoned campaigner. He has been here five seasons and was our captain for four of them. He is simply not good enough and need to be moved on.

My bad. For some reason I was confused that action led to the goal.

However, I don't know what are you achieving by this comparison to Yoro, who is still young and has played one and a half halves of football with us.

'Arry is supposed to be a seasoned campaigner. He has been here five seasons and was our captain for four of them. He is simply not good enough and need to be moved on.
Simply pointing out the clear double standards. I don't have a problem with either because I've watched enough football to know there's no perfect defender.

Simply pointing out the clear double standards. I don't have a problem with either because I've watched enough football to know there's no perfect defender.

Of course there is not and it's obvious that a player you see regularly will get scrutinized more harshly. However, we have seen a 'Arry for the last 5 years and know that he has significant flaws and is only good in games where we are sitting back and defending for our lives. Now, it would have been okay if he was a 50k/week back-up who'd come late in games or play in cup games. But here, we are looking at him as our 3rd choice defender. He simply is not good enough for that role in a team with ambitions.

Of course there is not and it's obvious that a player you see regularly will get scrutinized more harshly. However, we have seen a 'Arry for the last 5 years and know that he has significant flaws and is only good in games where we are sitting back and defending for our lives. Now, it would have been okay if he was a 50k/week back-up who'd come late in games or play in cup games. But here, we are looking at him as our 3rd choice defender. He simply is not good enough for that role in a team with ambitions.

Yeah, agree with this. His problem for me is not that he isn't a good defender, its that he's a good defender in a certain style of football. I think if he was bought under Mourinho he would have suited that team better. However, under EtH where we need the defenders to be aggressive both in defending and progressing the ball, the drop off from a Martinez to Maguire is too much. He simply doesn't suit the tactics. Wven Evans is better than him as a backup. I'd rather have a CB who might not be as good as Maguire but fits the team better. Funny enough, as I'm writing this my mind goes to Rojo who I think might have actually been a decent backup for Martinez if he was still here.