2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
I am referring to the Maguire's deal mate. For the rest what can I say? Murtough had a knack in sticking to bad advice while ignoring the good ones
I'm not sure what you meant by 'they basically allowed Ole to do whatever he wants' if you were only referring to the Maguire deal.

I'm not sure what you meant by 'they basically allowed Ole to do whatever he wants' if you were only referring to the Maguire deal.

Actually I was referring to the transfers in that particular transfer window. Apologies

He is not even playing dumb maybe. Erik said multiple times how Harry is in his plans.
So, it is easy choice for every player; better be rotation player in a big club than first choice in middle table club. It is not even a contest these days when big clubs play 60 games per season. Rotation player will get at least 30 games. Even more if his rivals for position are injury prone.
Erik cannot publicly say that he doesnt want a player who is still with us. He would never do that, but United accepting offer for Maguire and the only reason him still being here being that he refused, speaks louder than anything Erik can say

Erik cannot publicly say that he doesnt want a player who is still with us. He would never do that, but United accepting offer for Maguire and the only reason him still being here being that he refused, speaks louder than anything Erik can say
He refused offer because he had backing from his manager that he will get his minutes. He wouldn't refuse it if manager said to him that he is not in his plans.
Yeah, it is that simple.

You wish. He is chasing new contract. Which he will get.
Most of our "deadwood" which we want to sell will get it.

The old admin would certainly do that. They would figure out that they would struggle to make more then 4 signings per year hence keeping what we have is better according to their books. INEOS are different though. At 190k a week, Maguire is the highest paid CB at the club. If he doesn't play week in week out then Martinez, Yoro or/and any first teamer would come knocking at the manager's door asking for a pay rise. Currently they can cling to the fact that Maguire's contract is old admin's work. However if we renew his contract then it will be done by INEOS. So unless Maguire accept a squad player's salary then he'll be let go.

You wish. He is chasing new contract. Which he will get.
Most of our "deadwood" which we want to sell will get it.
Maguire getting a new deal would be great if he reduces his salary. Given he’s on a big whack and clearly wants to stay, I reckon he would drop a decent amount. I don’t think he’s got great sale value (realistically how much can we get for him? The WHUM offer was only £30m and supposedly that included add ons, it’s a crap fee for a very solid CB). Our wage bill is ok now, we don’t have to jettison every single player.

Suitable squad player - I was a hater but he's grown on me a lot with his professionalism.

:lol: the irrational seething hatred of Maguire sprinkled in with Ole hate. Perfect caf thread.

Lindelof (especially in current system) is twice the player than Maguire is.
I'm amazed there's anyone left that still rates Lindelof above Maguire in any system.

The current system is the awful one from last season until we see otherwise.

He refused offer because he had backing from his manager that he will get his minutes. He wouldn't refuse it if manager said to him that he is not in his plans.
Yeah, it is that simple.
The same manager that gave ok to the club to accept offer for him? ;)

Reasons?

1. He's the best centre back in our squad that we can rely on to stay fit.
2. He has shown he will remain very professional and put his best foot forward when not being first choice.
3. In a squad riddled with injuries he is a bit of an iron man with this being his first injury of note in years.

Yeah, it is that simple.
He didnt leave last season as the club didnt pay him off to go West Ham. He stayed for a comfy life on cash after being dropped and having the captaincy taken away from him. And now weve been in for several defenders, but... the manager still 'values him :lol:

I'm glad there's still some sensible takes on here regarding the Maguire or Lindelof thing.

Let me ask you a question, Between Lindelof and Maguire who's had more mistakes leading to goals?

For me Between to both Whosoever has had more should be the one to go not the other way round.

Lindelof (especially in current system) is twice the player than Maguire is.

The below was my post in reply to someone, who thought Lindelof is some good player that's been held back by Maguire:

That's a wildly generous assessment. He's been here for 7 years and has never achieved a single of consistent good form or a peak as anything close to Maguire, let alone the others. When a player with somehow over 200+ games for Utd is so secondary and in the background amongst his numerous centre back partners, isn't seen as all that by the majority of fans, then said player just isn't all that. Maguire got injured at the end of the 2021 season where he was one of or arguably our best player and a lot of us was concerned as he would miss the Europa League Final. Turns out, the concerns was valid as we lost that final, where Lindelof had a hand or rather did not in the first goal conceded. What's more interesting is that despite being one of our most senior players, he was the second to last (just before De Gea) take a penalty in that game where there was a total of 11 penalties by our team; even Tuanzebe, a youth player with barely any playing time that season came on as a last min substitute to took one ahead of him. In the 2 Cup Finals Lindelof has started in, we lost both, one being the Europa League and the other being last year's FA Cup Final against City and guess what? Again, he had a hand in the first goal conceded. We've won 2 out of the other 3 Cup Finals he did not play in.

Later on in 2021, Maguire was taken to the Euros by Southgate, got back to fitness in the later stages and was one of their standout players with him scoring that absolute top bins thunderbolt penalty against Italy in the penalty shoot out.

Maguire has had longer and poorer veins of form and perhaps a lower bottom level but his overall impact and contribution to Utd is light years ahead of Lindelof, a defender, who does not like to engage or defend. He's an absolute fraud, piggybacking off the success of others. The reason why he 'plays well' with Varane or Martinez is because those two do the majority of the defending, leading, organisation and on the ball work i.e anyone competent can look 'good' to casuals, if their best skill is being in the vicinity of opposition players but not really doing anything aka Lindelof.

Reasons?

1. He's the best centre back in our squad that we can rely on to stay fit.
2. He has shown he will remain very professional and put his best foot forward when not being first choice.
3. In a squad riddled with injuries he is a bit of an iron man with this being his first injury of note in years.

He got injured last season.
He is on massive wages despite not even being our first choice.
As a personality he is great but as a player he doesn't fit the system. Getting rid of his wages should be a priority

He got injured last season.
He is on massive wages despite not even being our first choice.
As a personality he is great but as a player he doesn't fit the system. Getting rid of his wages should be a priority

He's missed 33 games in the last 6 years.

Our wage structure is very healthy.

We don't have a system and if we do it clearly suits him as he was very good last year.

It’s been clear since he first signed that Lindelof was too meak a defender. The fact he has stayed for so long is an example of our poor organization.

I don't mind that he stays since he's a good 4th choice center back. I'm glad our bottom of the barrel has moved from Jones, Martial, DVB to Maguire.

Varane who was dropped for Maguire at the start of the season? If you say so.

That was more due to Ten Hag having a weird idea about having a rightfooted and a leftfooted centerback. As soon as Varane got back in the lineup we looked much better.

That was more due to Ten Hag having a weird idea about having a rightfooted and a leftfooted centerback. As soon as Varane got back in the lineup we looked much better.
No we didn't. We were terrible all season.

He's missed 33 games in the last 6 years.

Our wage structure is very healthy.

We don't have a system and if we do it clearly suits him as he was very good last year.

He was good at defending, but our overall play from the back and especially Onana suffered from having him in front.
We looked a different team when it was finally Licha back, and our best performance was with Varane and Licha together.

No we didn't. We were terrible all season.

We slowly got better in the last matches of the season. Without Maguire.
Like I said above he was good at defending but our play from the back suffered with him in front of Onana.

I'm fine with this. A more senior option in place of Yoro and a decent player to learn from. Honestly Yoro might the kind of player that would make Maguire work, we've never paired him with decent pace. There'll be teams and games you wouldn't want to use him but if we have a decent selection thats fine. There'll be teams and games when he'll be really, really bloody useful too. I'd even go as far as looking to negotiate a new deal. It'd be much lesser wages but i wouldn't mind keeping him.
I'm a bit surprised to be happy to keep him as i've been pretty critical but i think we need some experienced players in the mix and last season was individually good. Last 20 mins rearguard defend the box he'd be pretty good too.
If Yoro learns anything from Maguire, we’re screwed.

Varane who was dropped for Maguire at the start of the season? If you say so.
Varane being injured and unfit is world's apart from being dropped for Maguire. I know people cling on to this small grain in order to elevate Maguire but it is laughable at best. I wouldn't use that as an excuse to keep him. It is like some United fans have Stockholm syndrome with players. Keep making excuses and cling on to them as some form of loyalty. Maguire has the turning speed of an oil tanker, the entire team has to adjust to his weaknesses by playing deeper and he has zero upsides. Big clubs with aspirations to win bin players like him off.

People constantly bang on about his great character and that's also a myth. If he had great character and desire, he would have jumped at the chance to be first choice at another club in order to maintain his Engand career. He chose to settle and get comfortable because he thought Southgate's nepotism will prevail and he will simply get picked for being liked.

United should get rid and give his minutes to top players coming through the academy or buy a new center back. This is also an opportunity for Ten Hag to show his mettle. Tolerate below par standards in the name of loyalty and you will be sacked faster then you think. This is NOT some tiny bakery club, Manchester United must become ruthless if it wants to reach the same heights.

We slowly got better in the last matches of the season. Without Maguire.
Like I said above he was good at defending but our play from the back suffered with him in front of Onana.
Like the the 4-0 to Palace?

When we changed tactics for the last 3 games and actually played a midfield you mean?

Varane played 20 minutes of the last league game.

Like the the 4-0 to Palace?

When we changed tactics for the last 3 games and actually played a midfield you mean?

Varane played 20 minutes of the last league game.

Look against City.

I would like to keep Maguire if he wasnt on such high wages and was likely going to be 3 or even 4th choice next season. His attitude is great and in the air he is probably our best player.
But he really isnt good enough under pressure on the ball for our system.
A new contract on lower wages and its fine.

Look against City.

I would like to keep Maguire if he wasnt on such high wages and was likely going to be 3 or even 4th choice next season. His attitude is great and in the air he is probably our best player.
But he really isnt good enough under pressure on the ball for our system.
A new contract on lower wages and its fine.
A game where barely left our own half/box? Doesn't prove anything.

Anyone saying Maguire was better than Varane should not be taken serious.. They clearly have no clue about football..

Maguire was a fine squad player last season, but any team with ambitions should not play him and Lindelof..

Varane being injured and unfit is world's apart from being dropped for Maguire. I know people cling on to this small grain in order to elevate Maguire but it is laughable at best. I wouldn't use that as an excuse to keep him. It is like some United fans have Stockholm syndrome with players. Keep making excuses and cling on to them as some form of loyalty. Maguire has the turning speed of an oil tanker, the entire team has to adjust to his weaknesses by playing deeper and he has zero upsides. Big clubs with aspirations to win bin players like him off.

People constantly bang on about his great character and that's also a myth. If he had great character and desire, he would have jumped at the chance to be first choice at another club in order to maintain his Engand career. He chose to settle and get comfortable because he thought Southgate's nepotism will prevail and he will simply get picked for being liked.

United should get rid and give his minutes to top players coming through the academy or buy a new center back. This is also an opportunity for Ten Hag to show his mettle. Tolerate below par standards in the name of loyalty and you will be sacked faster then you think. This is NOT some tiny bakery club, Manchester United must become ruthless if it wants to reach the same heights.
:lol:

A game where barely left our own half/box? Doesn't prove anything.

A game where they never really looke threatening to us and we managed to pass between lines, something we have struggled with immensely before that.
Maguire is good defensively but his passing and ball movement under pressure is severely lacking.

Perfectly fine with him staying or selling him for more than his book value. He's a good squad option to have.

If he wants to stay beyond next year, don't trigger the option but renegotiate his salary or allow him to go on a free.