Gaming Grand Theft Auto V | 2022: GTA+ (monthly GTA Online subscription) announced exclusively for PS5/Xbox Series

Kaos

I was hoping they would have done London. I know they did it years back via the look down version, but there's plenty of gang related content, football hooliganism and the general under world to justify London as a GTA city.
I think they skipped it because Team Soho already did it in The Getaway. It was a decent enough game but no where near polished as something from Rockstar. The Getaway 3 has been in and out of development for years now and I'm not sure whether they'll ever bother finishing it. (Part of me hopes they ditch it to tempt rockstar to move to London in their next GTA).

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Most fans are fine with America and even LA for another time as long as the true nature of the game is there.
I think the series could do with a few changes.

Because there is SO much detail in the package rockstar do get away with some of the main gameplay elements being ropey. The combat for example just isn't very strong. Then I'd like to see more control for the user over his action, maybe giving us a few different ways to approach a mission. All of this is not necessary because its already a great game but it would add to it big time imo.

As for the city, wouldn't mind seeing it in a different setting to be honest. The game has shown us so much of America/The American dream/American Culture that a new setting would give so much new to players.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Most fans are fine with America and even LA for another time as long as the true nature of the game is there.
I'm more than happy with it. It might not feel like GTA in a different country and LA is the perfect setting for it, it has everything you want from GTA.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
My only concern is that U.S companies tend to do a wank job of accurately representing the British and Irish
Rockstar are British. They're based in NYC, but GTA is made in Edinburgh and the PSP versions are made in Leeds. Furthermore the Houser brothers, who are the founders, president & vice-president, and writers for all the GTAs are from London, so they wouldn't have any problem representing it accurately. I don't think they'll do it though. Anything outside of the US (or US proxies) would be considered a risk for such a huge selling franchise unfortunately.

The Getaway was essentially a London GTA though. They scrapped their nextGen efforts though to concentrate on SingStar. The utter, utter tits.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yeah I agree. I doubt they'll do it anytime soon.

When you've got something that really works it's hard to change things so drastically.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
The Getaway was a decent game, but it was a bit restrictive from what I remember, far more linear than a GTA game with less opportunity to just randomly wander around the map.

As for locations, they should do a GTA: 'Breaking Bad' based in Albuquerque and Mexico.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I really enjoyed the Getaway, but I agree it was pretty linear. I think you had to complete it in order to wander around. Also the vehicles were almost unanimously shit. The sequel was much more linear, but equally good. You also got to play the game from both cop and robber perspectives which was good.

London is tricky though, because it's bigger than NY, and it's also not gridded like most American Cities, making mapping it far more of an effort. Another reason Rockstar wont do it.

Kinky Melinky

Well GTA was created in Britain and the main titles are still developed over here. There would be no excuse.
Hmmm that's interesting. I never knew that. Well I say bring it on! It would be incredible if they took 4 of the main cities in the UK and Ireland and meshed them all in, in a very realistic fashion. So long as they get the social demographics and accents right depending on where you are in London, or Dublin etc (i.e Northside accent, Southside accent)

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
I don't think they would ever do it personally. So much of the game is a satirical swipe at American culture, nowhere else really compares to it.

Kinky Melinky

I think the series could do with a few changes.

Because there is SO much detail in the package rockstar do get away with some of the main gameplay elements being ropey. The combat for example just isn't very strong. Then I'd like to see more control for the user over his action, maybe giving us a few different ways to approach a mission. All of this is not necessary because its already a great game but it would add to it big time imo.

As for the city, wouldn't mind seeing it in a different setting to be honest. The game has shown us so much of America/The American dream/American Culture that a new setting would give so much new to players.
And they need to remove those fecking nipple tassels on the strippers. It's 18+ for feck sake. Could you imagine The Sopranos or The Wire adopted Rock Star's policy on nipples. It never ceases to amaze me the shame we bring on a part of the body we all share

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
I don't think they would ever do it personally. So much of the game is a satirical swipe at American culture, nowhere else really compares to it.
Yeah, American culture is understood pretty much everywhere they sell games. You can't say that about any other culture.

Kinky Melinky

I really enjoyed the Getaway, but I agree it was pretty linear. I think you had to complete it in order to wander around. Also the vehicles were almost unanimously shit. The sequel was much more linear, but equally good. You also got to play the game from both cop and robber perspectives which was good.

London is tricky though, because it's bigger than NY, and it's also not gridded like most American Cities, making mapping it far more of an effort. Another reason Rockstar wont do it.
Good point that

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Not enough of a landmark city. What would it bring over other cities? What characters are in Chicago that aren't in other places?

As for the UK. They can easily represent it enough to take the mick out of by putting the odd British character in. Can you imagine a game full of overdone British stereotypes? There isn't enough variety.

They should keep GTA in the US but make other similar games in different countries. If they can make a separate game as big as Red Dead they can make something along the same lines (obviously not cowboys) in South America, London, Tokyo etc.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Could focus on the political scene?
They can use political story lines in any other place though and have done before.

As a separate note, I'd like to see them use the bikers dlc again with stories that tie in. Or maybe have a sportsbike gang this time and include The Lost LA chapter in the story.

Kinky Melinky

I'm having a problem with the very last mission. Details within spoiler

It's the part I hop on the bike and chase Italian dude on the boat. There comes a ramp that I have to accelerate up and drive off in order to grab on to a helicopter. Thing is, how the feck do I grab on to the helicopter ? This is PC now, not console. Nicco does nothing and the bike just ends in the water. Am I supposed to jump while I'm in mid air ?

Kinky Melinky

:( It was a genuine mistake. I've re-posted the same post in the IV thread. I just need to know how the feck to....er....what it says in the spoiler

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
:( It was a genuine mistake. I've re-posted the same post in the IV thread. I just need to know how the feck to....er....what it says in the spoiler
:lol: I actually have no idea. I don't remember that being in the last mission. Once you've done it, have a look at the DLC's, they're awesome.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
You'll load it up, play 2 missions and get bored.

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
GTAV will be the cover game in the December issue of Game Informer magazine.

https://twitter.com/GI_AndyMc

Kind of goes without saying now but that effectively rules out a 2012 release (maybe those of us who thought it was possible were wishful thinking after all, who knows).

Anyone recall what kind of time is the norm from a magazine debut to a release? I think March 2013 sounds plausible now.

Don16

Annoying cnut
GTAV will be the cover game in the December issue of Game Informer magazine.

https://twitter.com/GI_AndyMc

Kind of goes without saying now but that effectively rules out a 2012 release (maybe those of us who thought it was possible were wishful thinking after all, who knows).

Anyone recall what kind of time is the norm from a magazine debut to a release? I think March 2013 sounds plausible now.
If you thought there was even a .0001% chance of a 2012 release when we hadn't even had an announcement by September then you're absolutely mental. I reckon maybe September next year.

Hal9000

Probably October 2013. All the GTA 3 games were released in October, GTA IV was planned for 16th October but was delayed. October seems the time when publishers favor releasing AAA titles now.