Gaming Gran Turismo 5

Photo mode is so good, love it.

2qn04ly.jpg

I wish I knew what all the parameters did :lol:

I only know that if you want to make the car look like it's going fast (when it is) you must increase the exposure time, to add some blur to the picture.

I love this game, Honda NSX 99 + 5 laps on Cape Ring North = my favourite race of all time on a videogame.

I think i'm in love! Tried my chrome line V10 Audi R8 and found it one of the most amazing cars to drive. So well balance, good power and very little snap oversteer. I had one issue coming out of a slow speed hairping and it said, "Sorry about that old son, let me fix that for you" and I said "here you go, have a little tap in"

Around the nurburgring :eek: Its just effortless!

The bloody Lp640 Murciélago just wants to bite your cock off at any given point in time. So unpredictable. Bloody quick, but it kills if you make a mistake.

What an awesome set of intros. GT5 might be my least favourite, the images are beautiful, but it doesn't give that thrilling sensation the others give. GT4 is epic.

Maybe you prefer the Japanese version made by Polyphony instead of some marketing geeks in SCEE and SCEA? I'm not particularly fond of My Chemical Romance, but I think that song fits the EU and US version and if it attracts more young players to the series all the better. Moon Over The Castle is a little bit too mature I would expect for a western audience.

Oh, and I'll post this to see how many XBots I can attract.

The major problem Forza 3 has is that the lighting is so washed out. It looks at times as if you are racing toy Corgi cars around a miniature track.

By the way, if anybody struggling with rally especially the loeb challenges, meddle with the traction split in the on the fly pop box. on the Eiger one, switch it to 50/50 split and be gentle on the throttle and steering input. I just knocked 4 seconds off the gold time.

What wheel are you going for?

My parents are getting me a Driving Force GT for Xmas

I also need a mount for it, any suggestions?

Logitech GT one...

thinking about some sort of stand though...

I'm still not playing it today, as because of the weather I couldn't get to Krakow. :mad:

Has anyone had a go with this yet?

Seems a pretty useless and hard to implement idea. Makes little sense as when you look to the side you will also be looking away from the centre of the TV. So, yeah, in theory it would be fun to look to the side of my car but if I do it I won't be watching the TV to see what I wanted to see by looking to the side.

Anybody bought the Shellby Cobra? Beautiful car, I want it.

I love the classics, I already bought the Jaguar E-Type and Isuzu 117A and have them well tuned, they're beautiful to watch, even if just being standard models.

I'm progressing slowly with the power of the cars I drive on single player, but today on online I picked up a Pagani Zonda and I couldn't drive the damn thing at low gears (all assists off).

Will I really need a damn wheel to control the power on these cars or one can get used to it (I only sat at it for 2 minutes or so)?

I might try to drop the X-acceleration I've used so far and try again to get used to accelerate with R2. You find it easier to control power there marchi? I dropped it because I feared I was stressing the controller too much, those triggers are usually the firsts to give on to wear.

Say what you want about textures and whatnot, the damage looks awful and it would have been better if they just scrapped it.

They use both techniques to be fair, and you have to start somewhere.

RUqhB.jpg

The major problems with it is that firstly the glass doesn't break, which destroys the illusion, and secondly, as each part of the car deforms, it doesn't match with other parts, so they don't do it in unison.

yRWS3.jpg

So this causes clipping issues when one part passes through another part because each one didn't deform in exactly the same way.

EklF4.jpg

One of the reasons that they modelled the Premium cars in the way that they did was to allow them to become detached, it's simply that there is still work to do to get an impact on one part to channel the impact through to an adjacent part in a uniform manner.

You are correct, maybe they should have left it out and simply done mechanical damage, but people have been crying out for this, so this is what they ended up with.

cPaZi.jpg

ZUtSJ.jpg

zpYBn.jpg

HATERS-GONNA-HATE.jpg

:D

Anybody seen/played this in 3D yet?

I have not, but apparently the default settings don't realy work, you have to change them.

default parallax is ridiculous. it's 5mm for max positive parallax on my 50" (except for cockpit view, the FOV is different and the FOV affect parallax), induce a big depth compression (it's like the horizon was 10-15cm beyond the screen)

my 3D setting for a true orthostereosopic experience (and full depth)

Cockpit view with "very narrow" mode
Convergence: 0.9
Parallax: (size screen dependant)
65" = 6 or 7 (6 if you have a low interocular distance like 6.5cm or less, 7 if your interocular is near 7cm)
60" = 7
55" = 7 or 8 (7 if you have a low interocular like 6.5cm or less, 8 if your interocular is near 7cm)
50" = 8 or 9 (8 if you have a low interocular like 6.5cm or less, 9 if your interocular is near 7cm)
46" = 9
42/40/37" = 10

and if possible play at a distance x1 diagonal of the screen for right FOV
it's agressive but very realist (and unforgettable) experience. i played lot of hours without problem
need a good TV with few ghosting (for me VT20 with contrast 30 and brightness 20 for hide ghosting)
this will be better if we would can OFF the HUD (depth conflict with some element of the dashboard when convergence is 0.9)

for other views (not cockpit) parallax 10 for all TV size and convergence 0.70
but it isn't orthostereoscopy or full depth

The Bugatti is a horrible car to drive. Managed to hit 254mph on the Circuit de La Sarthe though, could probably get a few more if I shed a bit more weight on it.

Eh? It seems to depend on the TV size and your distance from the screen.

Changing the settings in order to get the best out of it will probably cause problems for a large percentage of users. If it doesn't work straight out of the box, then a lot of people will not bother.

I know nothing of 3D tv's having never used one, so I could be talking b*ll*cks.

Is tweeking them for the best effect the norm?

I have no clue.

Another opinion:

Gran Turismo 5: The 3D Experience

The doubling of geometry and the increase in fill-rate and pixel shading requirements explains the performance differential seen in GT5 compared to the 60FPS or thereabouts of the 2D mode, but once again it must be stressed that 3D brings something different to the table compared to out-and-out performance. Sony has talked about 3D offering a competitive advantage in gaming - claims that were met with some derision from some quarters - but here, it clearly makes sense. To extend the parallel to real life, a race driver competing with one eye shut is obviously going to be at a disadvantage compared to a rival with full vision. In the world of video games, we've grown accustomed to perceiving depth from a flat image, but in this case, the benefits of 3D just help to make the look feel more "right".

There are clear signs that Polyphony Digital has been working on 3D support for Gran Turismo 5 for a long, long time - we know that because of the sheer volume of 3D demos we've seen at various consumer electronics trade shows. "3D was not something that was implemented at the last minute," Kazunori Yamauchi himself told Eurogamer this week. "We were working and testing with Sony two years ago."

Not only that, but during E3 we got our hands on the debug options menu which offered support for six different 3D display modes, only half of which appeared to function at all on an actual HDMI 1.4 3DTV - the chances are the other selectables, including interlace support, "chequerboard" and colour anaglyph (red/blue paper glasses mode) were designed for older 3D and even 2D displays, and thus weren't fully supported in the E3 demo.

Parallax and convergence settings could also be tweaked to change the level of "depth" and make the 3D view more comfortable, another first in all the PS3 3D titles we've seen. The final shipping game sees all of the funkier 3D modes gone with just support for the standard HDMI 1.4 720p stereo 3D output - however, the parallax and convergence tweakables are still present. Indeed, adjusting parallax from default is something of a must as the standard setting can feel rather flat.

But is the 3D actually any good? Frame-rate issues aside, Gran Turismo 5 works in 3D, and works well, because Polyphony has made use of it as a tool in improving the experience of its "Real Driving Simulator". There are no attempts at 3D gimmicks or "in your face" effects. During gameplay it's all about depth perception: judging braking distances, turn-in points and apexes. It's some of the most impressive 3D we've seen so far because it has a clear purpose within the structure of the game, and helps make it better to play in some respects.

The views on offer are unchanged from the main game, so it's no mistake to see that the basic, internal viewpoint remains the most useful, whether you're playing in 2D or 3D. First-person views are pretty much the best available for more realistic stereoscopic effects, but excessively cool 3D camera work can be seen in the GT5 replays - there are some beautiful visuals here, sometimes off-set by a cripplingly low frame-rate which can cause an effect similar to ghosting/cross-talk.

The effect in these replays can look extremely impressive though. Some parts of the scenery are relatively low-poly and can look flat, but the overall effect in 3D is simply gorgeous, especially so on the car models. So much beautiful detail, combined with thoughtfully placed stereo 3D cameras, produce a look that is uncannily real.

Gran Turismo 5 Tech Analysis - Page 4 | DigitalFoundry | Eurogamer.net

I suppose it comes down to how "in your face" the 3D effect is and how comfortable you feel with that.