Gaming Gran Turismo 5

Trust me you need them! I did a race with Ed yesterday which was basically a sprint, but it was pissing down. I drive in interior view and I couldn't see shit because of the spray his wheels were kicking up plus the rain on my windscreen. Wipers are very handy!

That's what I was thinking :lol: I can just picture people crashing cause they can't see out their window and don't want to change view. That's one of those cool features that you really appriciate they're not just for 'show'

That's what I was thinking :lol: I can just picture people crashing cause they can't see out their window and don't want to change view. That's one of those cool features that you really appriciate they're not just for 'show'

Exactly, it's invaluable! Also the full beam/dipped headlights depending on where you are racing.

What I can't escape however with gadgets is the damn spray from rally cars in front of you. Me, Ed, Leg-End and Nome did a dirt race yesterday and none of us could see in front as dust was being kicked up everywhere.

so i was thinking of getting this but at the moment i dont have the money, it will have to wait until january

Spoony, I bought a Driving Force GT and it's the only wheel that I've played with so far. I don't bother with G25 or G27 because they're too expensive and using a clutch doesn't appeal to me all that much, it's not going to work the same way it works in a real car anyway. DFGT is relatively cheap, I paid £100 but could have got it for £30 less had I waited another week or so, just didn't feel like it, and it works brilliantly - probably because it's official wheel for the GT game.

Only two days to go before I play it again, will be back home around 6pm Monday after I go straight to school first, then I can play all day on Tuesday becuase I'm going nowhere. :D

For the geeks, it's up.

Woah. This is one of the biggest, most detail-rich tech analyses we've ever put together, but there's little doubt that developer Polyphony Digital is a studio that likes to dwell on the technical details, and to be frank, a release as highly anticipated as Gran Turismo 5 more than deserves the mileage.

In this piece, we've critically appraised the visuals, analysed the game in 720p, 1080p and 3D modes, and put together extensive comparisons that serve to chart Polyphony's technical development in the past 71 months since PS2 epic Gran Turismo 4 was launched in Japan.

In addition to that, GT5 is a game that lovingly revels in technical minutiae - something we obviously appreciate - so we've also covered some of the less important, but still curious additions such as the PlayStation Eye head-tracking. Bearing in mind the significance of this release, and the lengths we had to go to in creating our video assets, we've also made available 720p60 high-quality movie downloads for all our major movies.

There are so many discussion points to cover in a game as vast and as technologically advanced as Gran Turismo 5, and while it's impossible to be completely definitive in the relatively short time we've had with the game, across the following five pages these are the major topics we've looked into. Click to skip straight ahead to what you fancy

Gran Turismo 5 Tech Analysis - Page 1 | DigitalFoundry | Eurogamer.net

Is the experience more real when using a clutch and the H gate grear shift?

I have been using the clutch and H shifter on Forza 3 & Iracing and it gives you a far better control of your car.
You can select any gear in one movement with an H shifter & the clutch allows you to smoothly get back on the power. Also if you're going slightly too fast into a corner, you can just push the clutch in and it doesn't unbalance your car as much as braking slightly would.
My lap times dropped by about 3 secs a lap using both.

Try turning a Veyron! It's got the turning circle of Michelle McManus.

I do love my 458.

I can't wait to get to the fast cars, I've only been able to play for a few hours so far and I'm focusing on Gold Licenses until I'm sure I definately can't get better than Silver....

Surely with the Veyron and SLS you can tweak the settings a little to get the handling a bit better?

Got my first taste of the MP4-12C in the Super License tests and that thing is just perfectly balanced, I must now have it for my garage.

I can't wait to get to the fast cars, I've only been able to play for a few hours so far and I'm focusing on Gold Licenses until I'm sure I definately can't get better than Silver....

Surely with the Veyron and SLS you can tweak the settings a little to get the handling a bit better?

You can, but compared with say the 458 which has amazing handling before you even tune it, it's not worth spending the money on.

I have been using the clutch and H shifter on Forza 3 & Iracing and it gives you a far better control of your car.
You can select any gear in one movement with an H shifter & the clutch allows you to smoothly get back on the power. Also if you're going slightly too fast into a corner, you can just push the clutch in and it doesn't unbalance your car as much as braking slightly would.
My lap times dropped by about 3 secs a lap using both.

I use hold the clutch for a couple of seconds longer when turning my car into a corner( in reality), as you said it gives you much better control.

The Isuzu 4200R Concept '89 from the Gold A License is a lovely Car to drive for the earlier races. 291BHP, MR, and it's beautifully balanced.

Yeah, I understand that but my 700hp Ferrari MR car does not have the same violent temper as the 670hp 4WD Lambo. As soon as you try to correct some slight oversteer it snaps back and spins before you can say "I've fecked up". The Gallardo in comparison is a lot easier to handle. Another car I like is the R8 V10. Haven't tested it against my 458 but I expect it runs it pretty close. I handles great and is one of those cars you can so easily balance on the edge.

I tuned my Veyron, it goes like stink in a straight line but even by shredding 400kgs it was a bastard to get around Suzuka.

Yeah its the reward for all golds in the Super License, its sitting in my garage untouched at the moment as I am savouring it.

Yeah, I understand that but my 700hp Ferrari MR car does not have the same violent temper as the 670hp 4WD Lambo. As soon as you try to correct some slight oversteer it snaps back and spins before you can say "I've fecked up". The Gallardo in comparison is a lot easier to handle. Another car I like is the R8 V10. Haven't tested it against my 458 but I expect it runs it pretty close. I handles great and is one of those cars you can so easily balance on the edge.

I tuned my Veyron, it goes like stink in a straight line but even by shredding 400kgs it was a bastard to get around Suzuka.

I've never driven one myself but, by all accounts, that's how Lamborghinis are....a hugely unforgiving animal of a car. Clarkson said "You have to have superhuman powers to keep it out of the hedgerow....A sliding Murcielago is as unforgiving as a third-world dictator"

My trusty Type-R:

29ndzj7.jpg

v6uh77.jpg

It's paid for itself and it's mods at least ten fold but it's time for a change.

My next project:

241kwv8.jpg

wahmyc.jpg

That Lotus is horrible, each time I tried to get it round the Top Gear course in that challenge I'd start spinning after 10 secs and click restart, then I got too frustrated and turned it off, that's one challenge I'm probably not going to do, ever.

Only a day and a half to go before I got back to it. :devil:

That Lotus is horrible, each time I tried to get it round the Top Gear course in that challenge I'd start spinning after 10 secs and click restart, then I got too frustrated and turned it off, that's one challenge I'm probably not going to do, ever.

Only a day and a half to go before I got back to it. :devil:

The Lotus in The Top Gear Challenge is the Elise 111R. I've bought the Evora.

Picked this up this evening and am enjoying it. Couldnt resist it. But as it turns out it really is no better or worse than Forza 3 which is a bit of shame but its still a very good game

This Lotus Evora is actually a really fun car to drive as it is....even with it's standard tyres. I'd highly recommend taking it for a spin.

It's quick and light as you'd expect and it has plenty of grip when you want to keep things neat. Take it to the limit though and it will give you enough arse-out action to keep your pulse-rate up but not so much that you can't take control again. It actually makes you look a better driver!

Picked this up this evening and am enjoying it. Couldnt resist it. But as it turns out it really is no better or worse than Forza 3 which is a bit of shame but its still a very good game

it gets better after the first few races in a-spec. By the way did you play both games on a wheel? Would like your thoughts on it.

Yeah, much better. I posted this last night;

This Lotus Evora is actually a really fun car to drive as it is....even with it's standard tyres. I'd highly recommend taking it for a spin.

It's quick and light as you'd expect and it has plenty of grip when you want to keep things neat. Take it to the limit though and it will give you enough arse-out action to keep your pulse-rate up but not so much that you can't take control again. It actually makes you look a better driver!

Also...

The elise on the Topgear track has to be on hard economy tyres. I've bought one to compete in the lightweight British cup and its alot easier to drive.

I've not even tuned my Evora yet, i'm enjoying it so much. I get the feeling that it will be very easy to go overboard with the mods on this car and completely ruin it.