Gaming Gran Turismo 5

I have no idea what car to buy for what purpose. The stats given in the dealerships are a bit of a joke... tell me its top speed, tell me its 0 to 60. I don't want to spend 300K on a car that's 30mph slower than a car I could buy for 200K and take it on a track where it gets rinsed. Also it's terrible that you can't preview stuff before buying it i.e repainting the car. Also get a mechanic to tell me what's wrong with my rigidness before I spend 83,000 repairing it.

I've not taken it online yet, but isn't all of that info in the museum?

I've not taken it online yet, but isn't all of that info in the museum?

Nope not that I can see, and you have to collect the cards somehow before you can view them anyway. There is literally nowhere I can find that tells you the top speed of any of the cars. Even on Google. Searching for GT5 is a nightmare because all you get back is Prologue and 2 year old posts. Unless you set Google to only a week and then nobody seems to be talking about it.

How many levels are there? I'm at level 10 now.

At least 24, I'm 15 at the moment, I've seen level 24 cars though.

EDIT: The mm-R Cup Car '01 Micra you get given as a gift is pretty awesome haha, while deciding which car I want to take to Daytona to try and get gold I thought I'd do all the small beginner tournaments I'd skipped, so I'm doing the FF tracks, this Micra can go round the whole track at 65/70 without needing to touch the brakes at all in the corners and hit 110 on the straight.

Just completed the B License with all Golds

Got the Following:

Mazda Demio Sport '03 - Bronze
Daihatsu OFC-1 Concept '07 - Silver
Tommy Kaira ZZ-S '00 - Gold (Which if I remember correctly was a very good car on GT-2 for the mid mounted engine races)

Game doesn't seem to max out the ps3 as of yet. I wonder if they'd slowed it down until they kind find an solution for the jaggies. Normally on a game like this, my ps3 would have its turbo fan on, but its as quiet as it is for Fifa 11 after 6 hours of GT play time.

Shadows could be RAM or RSX bandwidth issue. Polyphony never share this stuff though, so it's impossible to tell what is being done by RSX and what is being done by Cell.

Digital Foundry will have their first analysis on Saturday morning, so we'll see. Edge jaggies for me don't seem any different to Prologue, so I expect it's still using 4xMSAA for 720p and 2xAA for 1080p, but I'm no pixel counter. Shadow maps are probably 1/4 resolution.

Hopefully getting my copy tomorrow, if not I'll likely have to wait until Monday... :|

By the way Weaste (you play with the Dualshock, right?) how did you configured the buttons? Playing with the default settings? If so, which are they?

Played a bit more tonight and still feel let down by it. Online lobby crashed as soon as I went in and then another I couldnt leave. Graphics I'm liking now, London and Top Gear but gameplay is piss poor in some areas. That breeze block noise when cars hit at any speed is silly too. Missing my Forza 3 manual with clutch too, can only have manual in this.

Played a bit more tonight and still feel let down by it. Online lobby crashed as soon as I went in and then another I couldnt leave. Graphics I'm liking now, London and Top Gear but gameplay is piss poor in some areas. That breeze block noise when cars hit at any speed is silly too. Missing my Forza 3 manual with clutch too, can only have manual in this.

If you're using a wheel, press triangle to engage clutch before the race starts.

I got an Audi R8, the cheaper one admittedly, but it still drives fine. NASCAR challenges pissed me off though, I blew one gold by 0,007 seconds and another one by 0,001. :lol: I also got a brand new Camaro and my beloved Mini for Mini races. At which level I'm supposed to get car damage?

Is there a way to fix it? I'm not all that concerned by it but it would be nice

It's possible. ;)

They could go 30fps, they could go from 4xMSAA for the edges to 2xMSAA or MLAA. Uncharted 2 doesn't even try 4xMSAA running @ 30fps 720p. They could try to move more stuff onto the Cell, etc. It's difficult to know, but if 60fps was their main target, that would have been the first priority, getting as close to that as possible - screen tearing is inevitable as there is not enough memory for triple buffering @ 1080p and it would add a frame of controller lag, which I'm sure nobody wants. If they continue to optimise the code, then you may see these issues improve. To put it into perspective however, what they are currently doing is way beyond what any other console racing game does.

You might think that it's not pushing the PS3, but I can assure you that RSX (the PS3s Achilles heel) is getting raped, royally anally buttfecked. Giving it double the RAM and the 256bit bus and 16 ROPs of its PC counterpart (nVidia 7800) would probably solve most of the problems at a stroke. This would cost pennies to do now, but would have been very expensive 5 years ago.

So is there a wheel for this that I could also use on my 360 if I wanted?

Or would I need one for the ps3 and one for the 360?

The fanatec is the only multi platform wheel that works on xbox 360, PS3 & PC but they're not cheap.
That was the main reason why I went with it, the only other xbox 360 wheel is the Logitech Drive FX but that's Xbox only.

I'm new to this PS3 stuff.

How do I add you gimps so I know when someone's available to thrash me in a humiliating manner.

Online needs to be patched. At the moment I don't see any real incentive to race online as I don't get any credits for it. I'm still at that stage of the game where I'd like to be rewarded for my efforts.

Graphics I'm liking now

People are being way too critical about it, even to the point where it's ridiculous when looking at it.

For a rough example:

1.jpg

2.jpg

PGR4 vs GT5.

The first one is 1280x720 @ 30fps. The second one can run 1280x1080 @ 60fps. That's 28mp per second vs 83mp per second being drawn respectively, meaning that GT5 is outputting 3 times as many pixels per second, and can do so with 16 cars on the track.

Left stick for steering, X accelerate, square brake, triangle reverse, O handbrake, R1 & L1 gears.

Yep, that's more or less the classic thing. Wouldn't R2+L2 for accelerate and brake allow for more sensitivity? Lots of car games come with those by default now, my only problem with that configuration is that it feels awkward to shift gears.

Tracking Information: PORTO
Out for delivery - Nov 26, 2010 9:00:00 AM

:drool:

This Amazon tracking thing really works well, very nice

Yep, that's more or less the classic thing. Wouldn't R2+L2 for accelerate and brake allow for more sensitivity? Lots of car games come with those by default now, my only problem with that configuration is that it feels awkward to shift gears.

I have X to go and R1 to brake...

I use L2 for Brake, R2 accelerate, Square for downshift X for upshift.

L1 to flash my lights.

I use L2 for Brake, R2 accelerate, Square for downshift X for upshift.

L1 to flash my lights.

Going to try that one. My problem with using R2/L2 to brake/accelerate was that then it felt unnatural to use R1/L1 to shift. I never liked Square to downshift and circle to upshift (DiRT 2 defaults) but Square/X feels much better.

I thought you were playing with a wheel by the way. What kind of amateurism is that? :D

I prefer using the 2nd analogue stick for accelerating and braking if I'm using a pad, that leaves the triggers for gearing.

You can surely win the prize for the same race twice? Because I won the Mini challenge twice, and they didn't give me any money the second time round! Surely a bug.