Gaming Gran Turismo 5

My B-spec drive finished 5th in his first race, so I bought him a Silvia spec-s Aero instead with 160BHP to use instead of the MX-5 and now he's currently 4th in the speedway race in beginner series.

EDIT: Wahey he finished 2nd in his 2nd race.

Then seriously get a the Driving Force GT. I got mine for F1 2010 and haven't looked back since. And to think that just 5 months ago I never bothered with "realistic" driving games. And yeah I never really liked playing such games on a normal controller.

I bought it. I'll try it out after Champions League. :D

Test de Gran Turismo 5 sur Playstation 3

The translation isn't mine. A lot of it is a matter of perspective, I take it GT fans won't be very disappointed - the GT "feel" is there and it's all they want - but the average gamer, not particularly into the franchise already, might think it has too many shortcomings for all the hype that has been created.

I still need to play it myself mind, these are basically opinions I "borrowed" from the GT Planet forums.

Again, I haven't played it so it's just from what I read. But in Prologue you had just premium cars, now you have them racing side by side with (sub)standard vehicles. From what I saw in some videos, the shadows are jagged, actually worse than they were in Prologue. The tracks don't appear by any means marvellous. Damage really is awfully irrealistic, that video comparing the standard and premium Honda's say it all about it.

Assuming all that is true, I think 7.5/10 is not at all unfair. These game reviews will always be subjective, and many games aren't compared with their alternative counterparts but with their expectations. This exact same game could have gotten much better reviews if it had been released 3 years ago.

Now this really doesn't trouble me too much as a fan, as to me this game is about depth of content and driving feeling, and on those matters the game certainly isn't worse, on the contrary. But that doesn't mean these gaming sites should be praising the game from the biased fan point of view. If we really want to know if this game is good enough for us we go for the fan sites where we know we'll get reviews that will value the same features we value. These gaming magazines are just evaluating the game from a wider and GT-lay audience point of view and on those terms I think it's only fair. Don't you think that a new generation gamer dude with no attachment whatsoever to the GT series will not feel a bit unimpressed by some of these factors on a game being talked about for 5 years and that attracted to much hype? It's at these people that the reviews are directed, we fans don't need these reviews for nothing.

I personally am as excited for the opportunity to play this as I was, it won't impact my experience in the slightest way. That doesn't mean it doesn't sadden me a bit that one of my favourite game series won't reach the pedestal from "outsiders" that I expected and desired for it.

You've fallen in to the same trap as the reviewers in the way damage works. Car companies restrict the amount of damage that can be shown on road cars. Forza is exactly same.

I may stumble upon some cash in a week's time so I'll definitaly get the wheel for this. Getting the game tomorroe as I hadn't time to get it today. I'll be doing NOTHING but driving this weekend.

I played one race on wheel, it's very, very good - like a completely new game. But how do I make the wheel not twist against my will? It seems to move on its own, I don't want it to. I set my settings to simulator now, I shall try driving like that.

You want to deactivate force feedback? :confused: :confused: :confused:

I may stumble upon some cash in a week's time so I'll definitaly get the wheel for this. Getting the game tomorroe as I hadn't time to get it today. I'll be doing NOTHING but driving this weekend.

If you're in England, then head over to Pc World. You can buy the 80 pound steering wheel and pick up GT5 for 20quid! Great deal.

I am tempted to get the wheel, but i've literally got nowhere to put it where i've got the ps3 setup. Unless i could have it on my lap it seems a bit pointless to me.

You've fallen in to the same trap as the reviewers in the way damage works. Car companies restrict the amount of damage that can be shown on road cars. Forza is exactly same.

Really? You can smash the shit out of them in NFS: Hot Pursuit.

Anyone figured the online out yet? Not ventured in there yet.

Then seriously get a the Driving Force GT. I got mine for F1 2010 and haven't looked back since. And to think that just 5 months ago I never bothered with "realistic" driving games. And yeah I never really liked playing such games on a normal controller.

man speaks sense. I'm like that.

huh? Ok i can't seem to play Gran turismo. It goes to the main menu but i can't select anything, well this is annoying.

EDIT: Thank feck, it's working again now.

EDIT EDIT: And now it's sat there whilst i'm trying to connect to GT mode.

huh? Ok i can't seem to play Gran turismo. It goes to the main menu but i can't select anything, well this is annoying.

Mines's just done the same, looks like it's trying to gain a connection to the server and can't, as a connection error message just came up. Game is just hanging on various screens now :mad:

It's frozen on the GT logo screen now black background.

Sign out of your PSN, restart the game and then sign in once you get the GT Life mode.

I played one race on wheel, it's very, very good - like a completely new game. But how do I make the wheel not twist against my will? It seems to move on its own, I don't want it to. I set my settings to simulator now, I shall try driving like that.

My one spazzed out during the early races. If i let go it'd spin round to rotate itself and it wouldnt set back in the right place. I didn't change much. I think I just took corners slower, relaxed a bit. I didn't change anything to simulator - it's scarey what i actually didn't do. Just plug and play :) but once you get it down, then it gets better and better.

I am tempted to get the wheel, but i've literally got nowhere to put it where i've got the ps3 setup. Unless i could have it on my lap it seems a bit pointless to me.

Do you have a table it can rest on? I'm using my midi keyboard stand. It's not exactly perfect. It moves abit :D but you can get one of those pro stands later on. Laps definately not recommended

Really? You can smash the shit out of them in NFS: Hot Pursuit.

The whole purpose of Hot Pursuit is to smash the cars up! That's the point of the game, and the number of cars are limited. Do you see glass flying all over the show? All Forza 3 does is change the textures on the cars. This is one of the first games with licensed cars that actually does do dynamic body deformation with separate body parts ultimately falling off. It's not perfect, but it's a start - the same with the dynamic time and weather. But people like you simply moan about it. The whole reason that GT5 has taken so long is that they have modelled the cars in such detail, as separate components, such that they are future proof. They never need to touch them again. I swear, if you want this game to look like it does in replays, they could do it, at 30fps like most other racing games, but Yamauchi will not have that. People moan about the little glitches, pop-in (Prologue had it), shadows (Prologue had it), which can easily be fixed in time as they optimise - Prologue did this for example with the rear view mirrors, but they have simply been working on getting it to work as much as possible in 1080p @ 60fps with 2xAA. No other console game does this! Yes, they reached for the stars and only landed on the moon in terms of the technical aspects, but Jesus Christ, get some perspective man!

This will hopefully arrive before I start work tomorrow..

My connections is shite at the moment, so I'm wondering how big the download is and wether I can just set it to download and install while I go to work or do I need to be there supervising it and clicking "next" ect?

The whole purpose of Hot Pursuit is to smash the cars up! That's the point of the game, and the number of cars are limited. Do you see glass flying all over the show? All Forza 3 does is change the textures on the cars. This is one of the first games with licensed cars that actually does do dynamic body deformation with separate body parts ultimately falling off. It's not perfect, but it's a start - the same with the dynamic time and weather. But people like you simply moan about it. The whole reason that GT5 has taken so long is that they have modelled the cars in such detail, as separate components, such that they are future proof. They never need to touch them again. I swear, if you want this game to look like it does in replays, they could do it, at 30fps like most other racing games, but Yamauchi will not have that. People moan about the little glitches, pop-in (Prologue had it), shadows (Prologue had it), which can easily be fixed in time as they optimise - Prologue did this for example with the rear view mirrors, but they have simply been working on getting it to work as much as possible in 1080p @ 60fps with 2xAA. No other console game does this! Yes, they reached for the stars and only landed on the moon in terms of the technical aspects, but Jesus Christ, get some perspective man!

:lol:

Weaste, I have never had any intention of buying this, regardless. I couldn't care less. I am merely pointing out that:

Car companies restrict the amount of damage that can be shown on road cars.

Seems somewhat peculiar in light of NFS: Hot Pursuit.

Gonna forget about online tonight I think, looks far too overloaded for my short attention span atm.

Seems somewhat peculiar in light of NFS: Hot Pursuit.

And I'm pointing out that the car licenses are limited. They only have cars where the licenser allows them to do that. You can't do that with the range of cars that GT5 has, because some will say yes and some will say no, so then the discrepancy gets worse where you can have a race with some cars totalled and others in pristine condition. There is enough moaning about premiums and standards without adding extra shit into the mix.

Also, the damage in games such as Hot Pursuit and Burnout Paradise is canned.