Gaming Gran Turismo 5

Loading times are a pain in the ass, I thought they'd be short once I've installed the game but no, they're a few minutes each. :mad:

There's a separate full install (around 10 GB) that can only be found via the option menu. This will improve the loading time significantly.

Getting a wheel will improve the gameplay tremendously. Do you have a (portable) table you can mount the wheel to? Improvise if you can. It's well worth it.

Is there any point buying Logitech Driving Force GT for this? I won't buy G25 or G27 because it's too expensive.

Logitech Driving Force GT is the official wheel for GT5. G25 and G27 work with GT5 but is not officially supported.

I've only had about ten races so far, so can't really comment. At first I was disappointed because I expected mind-blowing graphics etc., and it's not really that good - I mean it's Forza 3 level or slightly better and that's not what I expected. Most premium cars look very good both outside and inside, most standard cars look average to me. I'm liking the interior camera because unlike in most games, you can actually see a lot from in there. I literally can't wait until I finally drive something fast.

C30 drives about the same how it drives in real world, except it has a lot less power for some reason - it doesn't accelerate as well, it doesn't reach the speed it would in real world for some reason. Perhaps it's a different engine from the one that I've driven, it's my brother's, I shall check.

Did you play the demo? how does the finished product compare? Must admit, I might not get this now. I've got Forza...and I hardly touch it, I was hoping this'd blow it away, at least in terms of graphics. Oh well.

Did you play the demo? how does the finished product compare? Must admit, I might not get this now. I've got Forza...and I hardly touch it, I was hoping this'd blow it away, at least in terms of graphics. Oh well.

Well, I for one don't see a vast difference between this and Forza, either in gameplay or graphics, but that's just my first impression. It's definitely more rewarding than Forza where you could get any car you want after a few races, here you have to work much, much harder to earn it. I don't know whether that's good or bad, it depends I guess. I played the Prologue and it's practically the same game so far because I haven't got to changing weather conditions or car damage yet, guess it may be another store once I've got there and seen it. I'll let you know next week because I'll only play it for some time tomorrow and then not have it on weekend when I go home.

Well, I for one don't see a vast difference between this and Forza, either in gameplay or graphics, but that's just my first impression. It's definitely more rewarding than Forza where you could get any car you want after a few races, here you have to work much, much harder to earn it. I don't know whether that's good or bad, it depends I guess. I played the Prologue and it's practically the same game so far because I haven't got to changing weather conditions or car damage yet, guess it may be another store once I've got there and seen it. I'll let you know next week because I'll only play it for some time tomorrow and then not have it on weekend when I go home.

I just hope Weastey's not topped himself.

Getting a wheel will improve the gameplay tremendously. Do you have a (portable) table you can mount the wheel to? Improvise if you can. It's well worth it.

I have a dozen of different tables and chairs in my apartment, so at least one of them will probably be fine. I could play from the ground level too, while sitting on the floor, although I will look like a total Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime and it won't feel like driving a car at all. My couch is comfortable and the table beside it feels about right height, but I won't have back support so I will probably screw it after a day or two, and not be able to walk properly.

This is marvellous, it's GT alright, GT refined. Now to try to gold the licences.

@ Xander45 - I can't use the classic GT view where the dials are superimposed on the track, I can never judge the width of the car. If you want the sense of speed and be able to judge where the car is better, I would suggest using the roof camera, which isn't actually on the roof, but rather just above the head of the driver with the cockpit removed.

This view basically.

It's a fine game, if I hadn't played any previous Gran Turismo games (all of which were revolutionary to me) and I hadn't seen the screen shots, or heard them talk about how they were going to make a perfect game and took five years to develop it, I would probably be delighted with it. It's good but not up to previous GT standards of awesomeness so far.

Logitech Driving Force GT is the official wheel for GT5. G25 and G27 work with GT5 but is not officially supported.

Cool, it's three times cheaper and probably affordable to me.

Sarni - It's possible you were expecting it to be a lot better because of the hype and excruciating long wait.

And I hope Weaste never hypes up a game again.

This is marvellous, it's GT alright, GT refined. Now to try to gold the licences.

@ Xander45 - I can't use the classic GT view where the dials are superimposed on the track, I can never judge the width of the car. If you want the sense of speed and be able to judge where the car is better, I would suggest using the roof camera, which isn't actually on the roof, but rather just above the head of the driver with the cockpit removed.

I'll try that angle out, i've stopped the licences for now and doing some races instead. I'll go for the golds once i've got the hang of it all a bit more.

Cool, it's three times cheaper and probably affordable to me.

It's at that sweet spot in terms of price:performance ratio. One thing I've learnt about these driving wheels is that they truly are controllers in their own right. If you see yourself spending more than 50 hours on driving games in the 12 months just get it. I'm sure you'll be able to sort out the tables and all.

Try the SLS AMG + Nurburgring and Top Gear Lotus Elise Specials and let me know how GT5 and Forza 3 compares. I'm genuinely interested.. Also, don't forget to set your driving to Simulation under Options, if you haven't.

Try the SLS AMG + Nurburgring and Top Gear Lotus Elise Specials and let me know how GT5 and Forza 3 compares. I'm genuinely interested.. Also, don't forget to set your driving to Simulation under Options, if you haven't.

I'm doing the Nurburgring one now, I have never played Forza so can't compare but I was having difficulty until I realised the red number coming up next to my gear was saying 'slow down and gear down dickhead it's not possible to take this next corner in the gear you're currently in' and now I'm finding it a pleasure to drive.

I've not really played racing games all that much, and I had a lot of trouble controlling a car in F1 2010 with any of the assists off, so if I switch to simulation I will probably get hammered properly. I hope to get to SLS next week, it's one car I want to drive badly.

As for 50 hours of driving a year, well I will probably do 50 hours on GT5 in the first month. :lol:

So far it looks like a 8.5 - 9.0 game to me but it's very early to say, I will probably change my mind even on visuals when I see the rain and stuff.

And I may buy a wheel, I got some coupon that gives me a discount for all Logitech gear, I may use that when I have money.

Can anyone explain my question on the previous page about the licences and A/B events?

Licences unlock events. Most events should have a required license to allow you entrance (some of the early events won't need it). Completing any of these licenses at least with the Bronzes shouldn't be very difficult and it can be rewarding in terms of learning racing lines and how to approach certain situations if you aren't very experienced in racing games. Then, each license you complete (B, A, IB, etc) will unlock several events, progressively harder than the ones before. Think of it like divisions.

A-spec/B-spec are just two distinct game modes. A-spec is as you should know, the regular driving thing, and B-spec is sort of a managerial mode in which you tune the car, choose race strategy, etc. On B-spec I think your pilot evolves it's skill, as in the more you use this mode the better the pilot will be. It's supposedly indifferent on terms of rewards if you use A-spec or B-spec to a particular race. You'll get the same prizes in the end and any car won in one mode can obviously be used in another mode.

Now I hope I haven't wasted your time with this because all I said it's how things work on GT4 and I'm assuming they're roughly the same in GT5, but can't be 100% sure.

I've not really played racing games all that much, and I had a lot of trouble controlling a car in F1 2010 with any of the assists off, so if I switch to simulation I will probably get hammered properly. I hope to get to SLS next week, it's one car I want to drive badly.

As for 50 hours of driving a year, well I will probably do 50 hours on GT5 in the first month. :lol:

So far it looks like a 8.5 - 9.0 game to me but it's very early to say, I will probably change my mind even on visuals when I see the rain and stuff.

And I may buy a wheel, I got some coupon that gives me a discount for all Logitech gear, I may use that when I have money.

Then seriously get a the Driving Force GT. I got mine for F1 2010 and haven't looked back since. And to think that just 5 months ago I never bothered with "realistic" driving games. And yeah I never really liked playing such games on a normal controller.

Can someone give me a quick breakdown of how the GT mode works by the way because I'm relatively new to the GT series. I'm wondering how everything meshes together.

I take it the objective is to get better cars and do this by increasing money. You do this by completing special races and the like. I'm a bit confused at how A-Spec B-Spec and the licences interface with each other.

Tell me if this is wrong, but I imagine that A-Spec events are me racing others, and B-Spec events are a tag team sort of thing? Like I make another AI driver to be my team mate? Or an actual friend next to me takes that place and we do 2 team races IE 24 hour Le Mans? Is that right or completely wrong?

Also what are the licences actually for... just to be able to do different levels of the Events? I.e Beginner, Amateur etc you can't move on until you complete the licences?

What I'm struggling to understand is why I need to do it all to do something else, how it links in i.e do this so that you can do that. That's what I don't get yet.

A-Spec's you driving. B-Spec's you instructing your AI racer on what to do in a race. You increase XP by completing licenses but mainly it is to learn the kinks of racecraft and the game through it. The ideal situation is to eventually Gold everything. That's why this game, despite the slightly disappointing review scores, is a game that undoubtedly has legs and will still be played for a long while yet.

A-Spec's you driving. B-Spec's you instructing your AI racer on what to do in a race. You increase XP by completing licenses but mainly it is to learn the kinks of racecraft and the game through it. The ideal situation is to eventually Gold everything. That's why this game, despite the slightly disappointing review scores, is a game that undoubtedly has legs and will still be played for a long while yet.

Aha, that makes sense... I wondered what the create a driver was about... well I haven't gone into A or B spec yet, I've just done the first set of licences with 3 golds and 7 silvers, then I went onto the specials and have done karting beginner/intermediate all golds, NASCAR beginner gold/silver, Top Gear beginner bronze, then the Nurburgring silver, at level 9 with 162,000 cash so looking to buy my first proper car at level 10, a nice Audi maybe. :D Will definitely add a GT next week as the controller is fiddly.

Aha, that makes sense... I wondered what the create a driver was about... well I haven't gone into A or B spec yet, I've just done the first set of licences with 3 golds and 7 silvers, then I went onto the specials and have done karting beginner/intermediate all golds, NASCAR beginner gold/silver, Top Gear beginner bronze, then the Nurburgring silver, at level 9 with 162,000 cash so looking to buy my first proper car at level 10, a nice Audi maybe. :D Will definitely add a GT next week as the controller is fiddly.

Also, you didn't get two cars for completing the B licences, you got one for completing them all with bronzes (at least) and one for completing them all with silvers. If you make it all golds you'll get a third car, meaning 3 maximum prize cars available per licence series completed.

Also, you didn't get two cars for completing the B licences, you got one for completing them all with bronzed (at least) and one for completing them all with silvers. If you make it all golds you'll get a third car, meaning 3 maximum prize cars available per licence series completed.

Ah, awesome. I'm contemplating buying an Audi R8 now anyway.

And I hope Weaste never hypes up a game again.

What the hell are you talking about? It's basically exactly as I expected it to be, Prologue fleshed into a full game with more advanced physics as in the TT demo last Christmas - although it doesn't seem quite so brutal yet.

The Eurogamer review got it right for me:

Suddenly – after two days' play – I wasn't playing a sim racing game any more. I wasn't learning a litany of trackside cues and cornering rhythms I might as well perform with my eyes shut. I was driving with the seat of my pants on the open road, feeling a powerful car under me, mapping the next bend with my intuition.

For me, this is the Holy Grail of driving games. And yet it's one throwaway and all-too-brief event tucked away in a corner of Kazunori Yamauchi's sprawling empire of digital motorsport. I could quite easily have played GT5 for dozens of hours and written this review without even knowing it existed.

That, in a nutshell, is everything that's extraordinary and infuriating about this vast, mad, once-in-a-lifetime game.

I've said way back to treat this game as you treated GT3 - they should have gone with just the 250 premium cars for the lolz of it. It's not my fault that some people were expecting in game races at 1080p @ 60fps to look like photomode - anyone that played Prologue knew exactly what to expect. It's GT, it's refined, it's quite glorious.

So feck you!

I'm finding Nascar very difficult on the controller. I'm going to have to buy the wheel ;)

Came 2nd in the camper van race though. How much fun was that?!!?!

I have a question for all.

My PS3 is an old 20gb model I think. I only use it for 3 things. GT prologue, Pes and as a blu-ray player for my films. It's been great. When I get this new game, will it still be ok and will loading times be an issue? I'm going to uninstal pes and prologue as I've just about finished both.
If this old PS3 is an issue, then I might have to buy that offer of a new ps3 and the GT game with it. What do you think?

It seems like I am levelling up ridiculously fast here... at level 11 now there's so much shit I can still do, I haven't done the Top Gear lotus yet, I haven't done the Gran Turismo Rally yet on beginner, I have only done the first lot of licences, I can take part in the professional series already and I haven't done any races in the Beginner or Amateur series yet... not a single A-Spec Event.... surely you shouldn't level this fast? I can buy and drive an Audi R8 if I want yet I haven't raced a single race with my first used car yet... feels like everything is popping up at once.

All golds in the B1 License, did the first 5 with the controller and the next 5 with the G25 and the difference is just incredible. They have nailed down the feel with the wheel to the point I did not think was possible on a console game, chucking the car into the corner and just catching the slide to then power slide through is just brilliant.

I love this game already.