Gaming Gran Turismo 5

Previous GTs have had wet tracks, so that would have always been in their mind for the tyre simulation from the get-go I would suppose. What makes it more complicated is is this weather dynamic or not - it can stop and start on a random basis, or is it a selection option before you enter the race - dry, damp, wet, light rain, pissing down, snow? And then you are forced to select a specific set of tyres.

Yep. Also, if it's a "weather system", it should also include humidity and that should affect the engines as well as tyres.

I think the weather system could well open them up to negatives that Forza has.

I just can't see the damp/wet/slick track physics being that realistic, although I'd like to be proven wrong. In fact after 6 years of development, if weather was planned from the start (and the tyre system is >= Forza) then I should be wrong.

Dude you really need to understand that Forza's tyre physics and general car physics are hardly top class, they're just above the arcade point of sim racing. They lag a long way behind the Live For Speeds and I-Racings in terms of realism. Live for Speed probably has the most accurate tyre modeling with real time data of any sim i've ever played. Locking up brakes and flat spotting tyres also makes a massive impact on tyre life and quality.

It would be the bare minimum if the game did not match Forza 3, and even then, i'm doubting about whether they'll include tyre pressure settings given that most people playing consoles, really do not give a rats arse let alone understand it.

Dude you really need to understand that Forza's tyre physics and general car physics are hardly top class, they're just above the arcade point of sim racing. They lag a long way behind the Live For Speeds and I-Racings in terms of realism. Live for Speed probably has the most accurate tyre modeling with real time data of any sim i've ever played. Locking up brakes and flat spotting tyres also makes a massive impact on tyre life and quality.

Dude, you really need to understand that GT5 needs to match Forza's level of tyre simulation, and no it's not just above arcade sim racing, it's a bit more clever than that.

It would be the bare minimum if the game did not match Forza 3, and even then, i'm doubting about whether they'll include tyre pressure settings given that most people playing consoles, really do not give a rats arse let alone understand it.

Well why the hell would it need to match even Forza then? Why have tune-able components and not have something as important as tyre pressure? What about the weather affecting tyres then?

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make. Are you saying you know a lot about tyre physics and thus you know Forza's tyre system is crap? Or have you just read that in a forum? If it's the former, how can you say tyre pressure is not important? Have you ever raced or tracked a fast car?

These are from a presentation done in 2006, I'd seen this before...

34ys9qd.jpg

But never these two.

15fqi69.jpg

23vkj2u.jpg

They knew all along that they were never going to be able to model all of the cars from scratch.

I suppose back then the classic would have been a very cheap download, and the premium the thing with the micro-payments that upgraded it, then the idea was canned, probably by Harrison. Do you know him? Ask him what went on with that!

Dude, you really need to understand that GT5 needs to match Forza's level of tyre simulation, and no it's not just above arcade sim racing, it's a bit more clever than that.

Its driving physics are hardly any better then Need For Speed shift. Both series belong in the arcade/sim category as did GT up until they released that demo at Christmas time.

Well why the hell would it need to match even Forza then? Why have tune-able components and not have something as important as tyre pressure? What about the weather affecting tyres then?

Why even implement tyre pressure settings when the driving feel is so bad, it doesn't even come close to actual racing sims let alone real life.

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make. Are you saying you know a lot about tyre physics and thus you know Forza's tyre system is crap? Or have you just read that in a forum? If it's the former, how can you say tyre pressure is not important? Have you ever raced or tracked a fast car?

I've driven cars that make your M3 look slow, multiple times at Eastern Creek and Oran Park in Sydney, but thats not the point. The average fan of the series is not interested in the aspects of tyre pressures. They'd rather the game already implement the ideal pressure automatically.

I'd like it in the series, but I highly doubt its a big one on their agenda, although it'll more then likely be implemented. The biggest issue will be with the dynamic weather. It will be extremely hard to adjust settings on the fly by contacting the pit crew.

Its driving physics are hardly any better then Need For Speed shift. Both series belong in the arcade/sim category as did GT up until they released that demo at Christmas time.

So you think GT5 is going to be a proper SIM then yeah? You should also stop comparing Forza with online racing games that get updated lots. Hell I could go into LFS myself and study the tyre system if I wanted to mostly what it's doing and when. Point being it's all open and constantly being upgraded, Forza is a closed system and as such is still very polished.

Why even implement tyre pressure settings when the driving feel is so bad, it doesn't even come close to actual racing sims let alone real life.

Driving is not "so bad", it's just not on the sim level.

I've driven cars that make your M3 look slow, multiple times at Eastern Creek and Oran Park in Sydney, but thats not the point. The average fan of the series is not interested in the aspects of tyre pressures. They'd rather the game already implement the ideal pressure automatically.

I've driven faster cars than my M3 round a track too, but that's hardly the point is it? Oh and ideal pressure automatically? How the hell do they know how I like to drive to be able to do that? Are they going to ask everyone who plays the game?

I'd like it in the series, but I highly doubt its a big one on their agenda, although it'll more then likely be implemented. The biggest issue will be with the dynamic weather. It will be extremely hard to adjust settings on the fly by contacting the pit crew.

You greatly underestimate both the importance of tyre pressure, and how good the Forza tyre system is. Dynamic weather would be nice, but how will it be any good if the tyre system is weak?

I'm going to provoke Lambs now, a person that has always insisted that the PS3 and the XB360 are basically equal. The XB360 can't touch this, if it could it would have already done so. All of those reports about the RSX being weak, RSX isn't running this show.

I'm going to provoke Lambs now, a person that has always insisted that the PS3 and the XB360 are basically equal. The XB360 can't touch this, if it could it would have already done so. All of those reports about the RSX being weak, RSX isn't running this show.

Box is better, WD. Certainly multi platform games looks best on Mr Gates' machine.

They will do for a particular reason. Apart from some! This game will end up pushing over 100% more pixels than Forza 3. RSX is actually quite good at pushing pixels.

I hope you're right, because my PS3 is just a blu ray player at the moment.

Oh weastie, weastie, weastie. You must have learned by now that whenever you provoke me and I bite you end up swearing and nearly having an aneurysm. Oh, and by the end of the PS3 and 360's life they still will be more or less equal. Games designed for the 360 will stand out above some PS3 equivalents and vice-versa. I'm right about that, just as I'm going to be right about the console's lifespan, just as I was right about Killzone 2 (which I believe you still owe me a crate of beer for BTW).

:lol:

Oh weastie, weastie, weastie. You must have learned by now that whenever you provoke me and I bite you end up swearing and nearly having an aneurysm. Oh, and by the end of the PS3 and 360's life they still will be more or less equal. Games designed for the 360 will stand out above some PS3 equivalents and vice-versa. I'm right about that, just as I'm going to be right about the console's lifespan, just as I was right about Killzone 2 (which I believe you still owe me a crate of beer for BTW).

:lol:

Cock! All cock! Many XB360 exclusives aren't even 720p, some without any AA at all. Hold on, isn't that what Xenos is supposed to be good at? Bollocks!

Look, slightly drunk or not, something to do with Xenos is seriously broken. And the XCPU is basically trash. :p

Meh, what do you expect with old technology dressed up as new? As I said way back when, this is the first time I can remember the new consoles coming out and not even matching mid-high end PCs!

They need to do something serious with the next Xbox, but knowing them it'll just be a few xenons bolted together ;)

seems nice, if only the surroundings weren't so lifeless

also what's with the bouncing off the crash barrier? Looks shit to me

oh, alright then

Another question - does Audi R8 5.2 V10 really sound like that?

The bouncing of the barriers looks a lot like GT4 in there. I do hope the "other" mode has improved on that aspect.

You are not going to get a Burnout style wreck, however, in GT mode, I think that it's called GT Life now, the cars will suffer mechanical damage each time you bump into something to the point that it might not be able to steer straight or you can't change gear, etc.