Gaming Gran Turismo 5

:lol: at this thread.

You could learn a thing or two from our rambling ;)

We like to provide strange entertainment. We both have valid points that the other simply will not accept, so it goes on around in circles like this.

Shhhhhh!

Oh, and the last thing before I leave for the pub is this: GT1 took five years to develop on a system so easy to use a bum like me could single-handedly get a game released on it within three months. GT5 is on a system not only much more advanced by those standards, but much more advanced by any standards (yes I'm looking at you 360), and as such 6 years for a game as complex and brilliantly designed/made as GT5 is actually not too bad. Lets hope it lives up to the hype, and I look forward to smashing you all at it :D

Now, off to the land of whiskey and boobies. Night all.

To be fair, Lambs. . .it's like me saying I can bounce off the barriers in Forza and get better times than driving properly and you not believing me, ad nauseum

Hang on... so I buy a PS3 specifically in preparation for GT5, and now I'm going to have to a buy a 3DTV too? feck that!

That is an optional function you can turn on or off. Would be insane if not, being 3D such a new technology.

I personally want to keep it simple, am saving for an HD TV and plan to ignore 3D for some years.

To be fair, Lambs. . .it's like me saying I can bounce off the barriers in Forza and get better times than driving properly and you not believing me, ad nauseum

I'm not saying you can't though, there are exploits and there will be on GT5. I was merely asking if you were playing it on full simulation, because although doable, using most of those barrier tricks can still mess up a properly set up car.

It's multiplayer online where those things really matter, and hopefully GT5 will limit them better, but won't eradicate them altogether.

Hang on... so I buy a PS3 specifically in preparation for GT5, and now I'm going to have to a buy a 3DTV too? feck that!

Don't worry, going by the other extra features they've added, it'll only be half implemented anyway :D

Don't worry, going by the other extra features they've added, it'll only be half implemented anyway :D

You are trolling again, you Microsoft fanboy you! What if they had done a GT3 and shipped the game with only 250 cars? Then given you the option to import all of the GT4 photo-mode level car models into the game if you wanted to use them? The trouble there would most probably be the texture quality and the maps etc. but as an hypothetical point....

Anyway, getting away from the cars, there is some info off the US blog regarding the tracks.

More than 40 tracks with over 100 layouts (including all versions of Nurburgring – which nobody’s ever done before). That enough for you?

There is also a twitter interview done with Yamauchi.

We’re making Honda HSV now but may not be in time for GT5.

Somebody asked about that earlier in the thread.

I don’t think Bernie Ecclestone won’t allow F1.

Regarding interior view…do you mean you would want a black frame interior view? By blackframe, I meant same as in PSP (re: cockpit view) In that case, it would be technically possible.

Regarding weather effects…rain, etc… Maybe.

Can’t talk about details on customization but yes, you’ll be able to customize. Customization in GT5 will be better than GT4.

Technically it is possible to have bikes in the game but haven’t really thought about it yet.

I think that dynamic weather is in. There will be older F1 cars in whatever number. They could implement a generic static cockpit for those cars that don't have them modelled. There is going to be a lot of DLC.

Oh, and the last thing before I leave for the pub is this: GT1 took five years to develop on a system so easy to use a bum like me could single-handedly get a game released on it within three months. GT5 is on a system not only much more advanced by those standards, but much more advanced by any standards (yes I'm looking at you 360), and as such 6 years for a game as complex and brilliantly designed/made as GT5 is actually not too bad. Lets hope it lives up to the hype, and I look forward to smashing you all at it :D

I think that I conceded that they must have been doing asset collection earlier than early 2007, running around measuring things, taking photos etc. London appeared in Prologue at the end of 2007, and they say that it took 2 years to do the Madrid and Rome tracks, so we're down to semantics now in regards to what development means. I'm simply debunking the idea Elvis has that there have been 150 people on it for 7 years, there has not. What they have done with the premium stuff is quite simply stunning.

To look at at least.

I think that I conceded that they must have been doing asset collection earlier than early 2007, running around measuring things, taking photos etc. London appeared in Prologue at the end of 2007, and they say that it took 2 years to do the Madrid and Rome tracks, so we're down to semantics now in regards to what development means. I'm simply debunking the idea Elvis has that there have been 150 people on it for 7 years, there has not. What they have done with the premium stuff is quite simply stunning.

To look at at least.

I said earlier, we were arguing over semantics. About the 150 people thing, of course there weren't! I'd have said that earlier too, if you'd said that's what you meant :lol:

Anyway, my original point (as much as I was having a laugh) still stands:

If, and that's a big IF, only Premium cars have interior views that work with the Eye so you can look at mirrors/windows, it fundamentally alters the game experience from car to car. Which is wrong.

However, it's still not clear if that is the case. If you can use the cam in ALL cars regardless of interior quality, then that doesn't affect the gameplay and it's not a big deal to me. However, it still can't be argued that this 'premium' car thing isn't simply because they've only got the assets half (well less) done and HAVE to get the game out. It's sloppy design and scheduling, but isn't exclusive to this team/game.

You are trolling again, you Microsoft fanboy you! What if they had done a GT3 and shipped the game with only 250 cars? Then given you the option to import all of the GT4 photo-mode level car models into the game if you wanted to use them? The trouble there would most probably be the texture quality and the maps etc. but as an hypothetical point....

Anyway, getting away from the cars, there is some info off the US blog regarding the tracks.

There is also a twitter interview done with Yamauchi.

Somebody asked about that earlier in the thread.

I think that dynamic weather is in. There will be older F1 cars in whatever number. They could implement a generic static cockpit for those cars that don't have them modelled. There is going to be a lot of DLC.

I'm looking forward to the F1 and dynamic weather. It's going to be fecking fantastic to have to make tyre choices (as well as pressure choices) depending on what the rain/weather may do.

I just really hope the physics and in-car views are up to scratch! It's a lot of money, but I'll get a G25 and Eye cam just for this one game.

How do you think that day/night transition is working Lambs? Do you think that it's in any way dynamic? Would that not require a deferred renderer, something that has never been hinted at before? Or is it all smoke and mirrors. They have said that you can if you are crazy enough do full 24 hour races on the Ring and Sarthe, so do you think that the sun will actually move, the environmental shadows lengthen and shorten and change orientation, or do you think it's a fixed sun and they simply change the brightness of it? Because they sped it up for the demo on the E3 floor, I can't actually make out what is going on.

I'm looking forward to the F1 and dynamic weather. It's going to be fecking fantastic to have to make tyre choices (as well as pressure choices) depending on what the rain/weather may do.

I just really hope the physics and in-car views are up to scratch! It's a lot of money, but I'll get a G25 and Eye cam just for this one game.

why would you need an eye cam ?

How do you think that day/night transition is working Lambs? Do you think that it's in any way dynamic? Would that not require a deferred renderer, something that has never been hinted at before? Or is it all smoke and mirrors. They have said that you can if you are crazy enough do full 24 hour races on the Ring and Sarthe, so do you think that the sun will actually move, the environmental shadows lengthen and shorten and change orientation, or do you think it's a fixed sun and they simply change the brightness of it? Because they sped it up for the demo on the E3 floor, I can't actually make out what is going on.

Personally, if it were me, I'd fake it as much as possible. That's also what I think they'll do.

Full dynamic changing is a waste of time in a game like this, sure it'll be something to boast about, but as with the trackside stuff it's all peripheral and an unnecessary hog on power. I think we'll see the sun move (obviously), and there may be some trickery with filtering going on, but for the most part it'll be colour balancing. Now, in the dead of night they could do (and probably will do) semi-dynamic headlights, which would look spectacular.

Of course, being as it's Sony and GT, they might do fully dynamic just for another bullet point. That being said, do you think the PS3 has the power for that? I think it could if done right, but I'd much rather them concentrate on physics and framerate in a game like this, because they realistically are the only two things important. BTW, on the physics front, have they said how fast the calculations are running? I believe on FM2/3 that were at 360hz, though that's mainly because the decent tyre system.

This is mostly what I'd like to see over what has gone on before:

.Full car tune-ups, especially tyre pressure modeling and tyre/track temperatures.
.Full head cam in all cars.
.A proper implementation of weather, i.e pressure system, air quality and rain physics.
.Decent lift-off oversteer - which means correct car weights and centre of gravity (I believe they are allowing car-rolling, so this should be a given).

All of which are easily attainable on the PS3.

how does it work?

if you have 3 monitors it makes sense but otherwise..

I think you are over-thinking it's use.

It's so you can at least look left/right at the mirrors/windows, without buttons. One of the worst thing about driving games, is that spacial awareness is key to driving, but isn't achievable when your sat infront of a 2D screen. Head tracking, thus allowing you to look round, is the closest we can get to it at the moment.

A track editor? You are not going to get a track editor.

there were some rumours ...

gt5_boxart.jpg

3 discs and stuff like that

Which is hardly a shit wheel. Its not as good as g25 or g27, but it does the job reasonably well. I've got a g25, but if you're only going to play GT with it, you're almost better off just getting the Driving force. But of course if you like the feel of real metal paddle shifters, pedals, leather wrap steering wheel and a 6 speed h pattern and sequential shifter, then pick up the g25.
Oh and its force feed back is alot more accurate as it's powered by two motors not one.

Warning that the g27 does not have a sequential shifter on the gear stick like the G25. It's strictly H Pattern.

In all honest, what you get with the g27 over the g25 is hardly worth the extortionate price.

Which is hardly a shit wheel. Its not as good as g25 or g27, but it does the job reasonably well. I've got a g25, but if you're only going to play GT with it, you're almost better off just getting the Driving force. But of course if you like the feel of real metal paddle shifters, pedals, leather wrap steering wheel and a 6 speed h pattern and sequential shifter, then pick up the g25.
Oh and its force feed back is alot more accurate as it's powered by two motors not one.

Warning that the g27 does not have a sequential shifter on the gear stick like the G25. It's strictly H Pattern.

In all honest, what you get with the g27 over the g25 is hardly worth the extortionate price.

Have you got a g25? Is it reliable? I seen reports that the shifter can be dodgy. Also what are the pedals like?

Lambs, just take your 3.0 out for a spin. But yeah that does look mint. (I hope it's much better than the demo)