Gaming Gran Turismo 5

GamesCom is the week after next isn't it, where they are supposed to finally show off everything about the game. Shall we start a new thread, or ask for the word Prologue to be deleted from this one?

€179 :eek:

And here I was thinking that you might get a wheel with it. :lol:

2v1lsg4.jpg

And some little look at spectator mode.

As much as I do like that Sig Edition, they can get fecked with that price tag. $300 AUD. I'd rather buy a slim line PS3 for that money.

Collectors edition for me.

Could go and buy a 1/18 on Ebay for that kind of money

I think that if anything will let this GT down it's that they have tried to please everyone in terms of features and could end up not fully pleasing anybody. The vast majority of the potential 10m people that buy the game are probably not interested in full on accurate driving physics as it would end up being too hard to play, a significant number will buy it because it looks good, some will play it like an RPG collecting as many cars as possible, and the simulation crowd couldn't care less about the car getting deformed with body damage only mechanical damage as these people are not interested in crashing the cars in the first place.

So, they include body damage for the casual crowd who have been calling for it for years, they include three types of driving physics to try and please every type of player, and so it goes on. Then, when none of it is quite perfect it will get criticised for it and compared to other games that do that one thing better rather than looking as the package as a whole. I suppose that Polyphony and Sony don't give two shits though, as it will end up vastly outselling any other "simulation" racer, probably by a factor of 3 at the very least.

Was it really necessary for example to start crumpling up the geometry of the cars due to collisions? Not changing textures, crumpling up the geometry and having bits fall off.

240ztz7.png

29ffdw4.png

Day/night cycles for who? Only the simulation crowd that are daft enough to want to do a 24hr non-stop race around Le-Mans. Was it really necessary?

Its not just Le-Mans thought weaste and the ability to make the time lapse move quicker means that you can have it in the short races. Arcade racers will like it as much as sim racers because it adds a completely different dynamic to the game.

They dealt with that before though by having specific night tracks, specific day tracks, specific wet tracks. Now, not only does it just give you an option, it does it all dynamic it seems, on every track. This pleases me, I like it, but was it really necessary?

We don't know yet if the weather system is in, but I think that it is, and it will take real weather information from wherever the track is. So if it's pissing down in Tokyo, then it will be pissing down in the game. If you don't like that, then you'll have the option to set it yourself.

Quick question: How much better are driving games if you use a steering wheel rather than the standard controller?

Obviously I have a wheel in my car so it's going to be better, but how much? Is it something I'd use twice and then put in the cupboard like so many Rockband instruments?

I'd say that the experience with a force feedback wheel and pedals is one hell of a lot better, however, if you are used to playing with a pad, you will need some practice until it clicks. At the start you'll be going slower with the wheel than with the controller. However, someone experienced with a wheel will easily beat someone experienced with a controller.

Like weaste just said, with experience you can go quicker with a wheel beyond levels of which you can with a controller. The FFB is one of the reasons as you will have a better feeling of what the car is doing at any given moment, the controller only has the vibrate function which isn't even comparable to FFB. Then obviously you have the added factor of easier use of manual gears which are quicker and then you have different styles of using the pedals as input.

I would say you chuck in a G25/7 with head movement tracking and in car view and it will be the best racing experience on the console so far by some distance.

Quick question: How much better are driving games if you use a steering wheel rather than the standard controller?

Obviously I have a wheel in my car so it's going to be better, but how much? Is it something I'd use twice and then put in the cupboard like so many Rockband instruments?

Wheels allow for more accurate input with the ability to modulate throttle and brake percentages as well as steering input. The problem with the controller is that its very hard to get the car to point where you want it. You're constantly correcting to get the car on the right line. Force Feedback allows you to feel more accurately the weight transfer and tyre to road contact.

Now at first, you will be far more prone to snap oversteer. You'll hit that accelerator pedal like you would with a controller and the wheel will rip itself from your hands. You'll then start over correcting where you'll think you've got it, only to lose it straight away. Under braking you'll hit it too hard and brake far too early or hit it late and over shoot. Now the trick is to take it slow stay on the one line and then build up. On a new circuit with a new car, i'm generally 5 or 6 seconds off my ultimate pace. As I get some laps down get a feel for the car i'll knock them off until the point where you start trying different lines and change point to see if you can get quicker.

It will take time but its worth it. Makes the game a whole lot more interesting and fun.

Starting out i'd go with the DFGT. Its about the 3rd of the price of a G25/27 and is alot easier to store and hide away if you're not that into it.

Myself i've got a g25. Now the logitech wheels are not the best on the market. You've got the Fanatec Porsche wheels, however they're a fair bit more then the Logitech and then on top of that you've got expensive custom wheels that can hit up to £1000+

I like my G25. While the shifter does feel a bit floppy, its got great paddles, fantastic peddle set that distinguishes quite well the difference between the different peddles which is completely customizable. The g27 is more expensive for not much difference. In fact, i'd say while it may be quieter then the G25 they've taken good features from the G25 and thrown them out. The ability to sequential shift has been removed.

As Weaste pointed out, it will take time, but you'll be a good second faster then the best controller racers.

Even with a wheel though I still use the controller on occasion.

does anyone know how good the thrustmaster ferrari gt cockpit 430 racing wheel is

The Prologue put like 6gb of gamedata on the PS3 HDD. Considering that I only have a 40gb HDD in my PS3 should I be worried about lack of HDD space?:nervous:

The Prologue put like 6gb of gamedata on the PS3 HDD. Considering that I only have a 40gb HDD in my PS3 should I be worried about lack of HDD space?:nervous:

You've been saving GTTV videos, I'll have a look.

I'm going to have to buy a new PS3 for this. I refuse to update my firmware beyond 3.15. I like fecking about with the Cell under Linux too much, but that means I cannot play any games since then. I certainly will not be able to play GT5, I can't even connect to PSN - cnuts!

Wheels allow for more accurate input with the ability to modulate throttle and brake percentages as well as steering input. The problem with the controller is that its very hard to get the car to point where you want it. You're constantly correcting to get the car on the right line. Force Feedback allows you to feel more accurately the weight transfer and tyre to road contact.

Thanks for this.

And thanks to you other guys too.

Reckon I might look into it properly when GT5 arrives. Looks like a giggle.

No clue mate, sorry. Nice to see a poster that joined before me in any case.

you have just about beat me on the post count though :lol:
going for the wheel stand pro with the DFGT going to order them now to avoid any rush of orders before the main event in november ;)

Can someone make an official GT5 thread please!!

I have codes i would to share with my fellow united brotheren where you can pre-order the game, delivered for £20!! And they may expire soon!

Ok brief update of news.

As posted above, release date is November 3rd in SCEE countries which also includes Australia and New Zealand. To those playing in Australia, this effectively means you'll get it when the US gets it.

Monza is in.
Karting is in using the world famous Piazza Del Campo in Italy as one of its tracks.
Track Editor is in :O however, I think it only applies to Karting, but if not, wow.

Cars that are in the demo.

Cars

Ferrari P4 Race ‘67
PDI Racing Kart 100
XJ13 ‘66
MkIV Ford ‘67
Zonda R ‘09
IS-F concept ‘08
Impreza Sedan ‘10
Z4 M Coupe ‘08
TTS Coupe ‘09
500F ‘68
500 1.2 8v Lounge SS ‘08
Miura P400 Bertone Prototype
C30 R-design
C3 Convertible
Enzo
SRT10 ACR ‘08
ZR1 C6 ‘09
Ford GT ‘06
SLS AMG ‘10
Citroen GT
458 Italia ‘09
Gallardo LP 560-4
SLR McLaren ‘09 19″
GT-R Spec V ‘09
R8 4.2 ‘07
M5 ‘08
Esprit V8 ‘02
2010 Jeff Gordon Impala
2010 Dale Earnhardt ?
Calsonic Impul GT-R ‘08
Castrol Tom’s Supra ‘97
Impreza WRC ‘08
SX4 WRC ‘08
C4 WRC ‘08
Ford Focus WRC 07 ‘08
XKR Coupe ‘10
135i Coupe ‘07
Amuse Nismo 380RS Superleggera

Which are all premium models

It has been confirmed that all cars have cockpits, with the 800 standard cars having a generic cockpit view that is still customizable.
Livery editor is also in.

Nothing yet on the level of detail of tuning RedLambs but if its like GT4 it will be fairly in-depth.

Skid marks aswell :drool:

Wish Weaste was here :(

Skid marks? That's not a big deal, I'd expect that anyway! I wonder if it's just cosmetic though, or if they'll lay down rubber.

I doubt it's that advanced, but would be nice.

Only two games that I know of properly simulate rubber build up.

That new F1 game is said to have it but its more then likely going to be scripted rather then real time like their wet weather physics.

I hope they put flatspots in :drool: Only Live For Speed haas ever simulated that correctly

Sorry I was referring to your post above about which cars are in the demo?

Sorry, meant the demo at GC. Polyphony released GTHD then Prologue as purchasable demo/beta. They also had a one off Nissan 370z at Indianapolis trial last Christmas designed to find their next racing driver. I doubt very much that a demo will be released.

so looking forward to this ive just recieved the wheel stand pro today and works a treat very secure as well happy days

I was a GT fan from the Playstation and onwards but have an Xbox 360 now and reckon Forza 2 and 3 are the best racing games ever. However I'm considering getting a PS3 just for this game really but does anyone know if it will have online auctions, car designing, selling and the storefronts with tune files etc? For me that's one of the best improvements on Forza 3 from 2 (the latter added bits).

You can at times spend as much time messing with all that as you do online racing and doing the single player career.

Latest Information on Gran Turismo 5 from Gamescom 2010 (1/6) - News - gran-turismo.com

GamesCom Gran Turismo 5 Breakout Session: Full Details
GamesCom Gran Turismo 5 Breakout Session: Full Details
Gran Turismo 5 August 19th, 2010 by Famine

At 9am on August 18th, Andreas Nie, Venari and myself (representing InsideSimRacing and GTPlanet) along with other members of the American press were ushered in to the first breakout session of GT5. Penrose Tackie and Alex Armour (Sony) were on hand and passed on the first vital piece of information – all material and information from this session was under a strict press embargo until 9am GMT on Thursday 19th August. So we had to keep all this to ourselves… The floor was then given over to Kazunori Yamauchi and Translator-san.

Kazunori told us that the 140-strong PD team were still hard at work, refining the game, and that the version he would demonstrate to us had been downloaded from Sony’s servers that very morning. It was, he said, a continuation of the presentation he’d given at E3.

Exclusively revealed at GamesCom the previous day was one new track – Autodromo Nazionale Monza – and a series of new vehicles. Monza, said Yamauchi, is an interesting track for both beginners and advanced drivers as the corners are typically very fast and the track can get quite narrow. The cars were of particular importance – the Pagani Zonda R ‘09, which he credited with recently lowering the production series vehicle ‘Ring lap time record, the Impreza WRX Sedan ‘10 which had just gone on sale and the DTM-based Lexus IS-F Racing Concept ‘08. The remaining four cars were special to him. First is the Ferrari 330 P4 ‘67, which locked out the podium in the 1967 Daytona 24hr and is one of Kazunori’s personal all-time favourite cars. Second was the Ford Mark IV Race ‘67 which, at the end of that season, finally beat the P4 at the Le Mans 24hr. Third was the Jaguar XJ13 Race ‘67, which was conceived and developed as a Ferrari-beater but never made it to track – Kazunori’s inclusion of this car is to allow drivers to recreate “what if” scenarios. Last was the Lamborghini Miura Bertone Prototype P400 ‘67, modelled on the only existing surviving car and distinguished from its production counterpart by a 1″ lower ride height.

Kazunori then moved on to what he termed “The Red & Blue of Gran Turismo”. He explained that, in 2001, when GT3: A-Spec was released, he’d intended to almost immediately release GT3: B-Spec – many of us are now familiar with the concept of B-Spec through the affectionately dubbed “B-Spec Bob” from GT4. B-Spec was intended as a racing-driver management simulator – akin to Football Manager – or, as the PD team term it, the Car Racing Simulation RPG. However, at the time of GT3, it proved impossible to implement adequately and it has taken 10 years to reach the point where the Blue (B-Spec) is at an equal level to the Red (A-Spec).

Indeed in the GT Home section, B-Spec and A-Spec are centrally-placed with equally-sized icons. Your B-Spec counterpart this time round is not one driver, but a whole squad of them. You can train only one to start with, but eventually you can have a stable of up to 6 B-Spec drivers at once – with four of them required to run a 24 hour race. Each driver has their own personality, from the ultra-calm to the hot-head and how they drive can be affected by current emotional state and mental and physical exhaustion.

The new B-Spec mode was demonstrated to us. GT4 players will be familiar with the strategy screen showing lap/split times, track position, vehicle place and gap and the instructions, but in GT5 this can be mixed with live footage of the race, rather than switching from one to the other and tyre wear and damage status are also included. The driver can be given instructions to speed up, maintain pace, slow down, pit or not pit as before, however there is a side-effect of the personalities – a particularly tired, agitated or aggressive driver may not necessarily follow your instructions!

A-Spec mode, of course, remains as it ever was, though with additional refinement of vehicle physics and dynamics. Kazunori was keen to point out that the tyre and suspension geometry physics have evolved yet further and our impressions of the show floor demo certainly agree with that assessment. In particular, Kazunori was proud of how Gran Turismo has improved to the point where he felt he could introduce karting mode – a feature accidentally scooped and originally planned for GT6, but brought forward – due to the unique nature of kart handling. The demo of karting mode on the Sony stand was spectacular fun.

The remainder of GT Mode retains all the old favourites – licences, dealerships, tuning shop, used cars and five different levels of series (Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, Professional and Extreme) with the five different types of cars (Kart, Production, Rally, Race and Formula).

The next big piece of news was, as first mooted by amar212 on GTP back at the start of 2009, the Course Maker. Kazunori pointed out that they didn’t call it a “Course Editor” simply because one is not able to edit an existing course, but create wholly new ones from scratch with an intuitive interface. The player selects from one of four themes (three – Toscana Sunset, Springtime Germany and Belgian High Fens – were named), adjusts the parameters of the course and the track is randomly generated from scratch. The parameters available include switching between a loop/circuit and a rally-style point-to-point track, selecting the weather, the time of day, the frequency of corners, the sharpness of corners and the bank angle. The track can be divided into up to four sectors and each sector given a different set of corner characteristics – so you can generate a long straight in one sector and a tight, complex series of corners in the next. Kazunori demonstrated all of these features and the track generation time was incredibly short. The track is limited to 6.5 miles/10km, but since that’s nearly twice the length of an average F1 track, even the most ardent future-Tilke should be happy!

Though some might prefer a full-scale track editor to recreate their own Road Atlanta, Spa-Francorchamps or Bathurst – Kazunori included – at the present time the level of customisability combined with the scope and detail of Gran Turismo means it would require a huge editor program and, of course, the resulting track may not be accessible to everyone, whereas GT5 Course Maker tracks will be available to race online.

Lastly, Kazunori presented GT5’s Photo Mode, which supports 3D and was, in his opinion, the best implementation of 3D (though having seen the XJ13’s cockpit in 3D during a race, we’d disagree). Photo Mode should be quite familiar to GT4 players, but this time round it features almost all the image treatment features of dedicated photography software, infinitely variable camera angles and, as always, the time, space and backgrounds to crack out the perfect shot. Amongst the new locations is the Red Bull Racing hangar in Austria, where Kazunori briefly demonstrated photomode using a Viper SRT-10 ACR.

As we were the first session and had a slight overrun, Kazunori couldn’t take many questions. However, he was able to confirm that the number of unique courses available in the game is “more than 70″ – with the added scope of online Course Maker circuits – and that despite their best efforts to respond to criticism about standard car interiors, they were not able to implement cockpit camera (even one similar to GTPSP’s) in GT5 – a source of some disappointment to Kazunori, who is never happy to let down his fans and is probably his own biggest critic.
:drool:

0.jpg

Boogity Boogity Boogity, LETS GO RACING BOYS!!

I was a GT fan from the Playstation and onwards but have an Xbox 360 now and reckon Forza 2 and 3 are the best racing games ever. However I'm considering getting a PS3 just for this game really but does anyone know if it will have online auctions, car designing, selling and the storefronts with tune files etc? For me that's one of the best improvements on Forza 3 from 2 (the latter added bits).

You can at times spend as much time messing with all that as you do online racing and doing the single player career.

Oops, missed this one.

Forza 2 is the best console driving game ever, but not THE best driving game ever. I'd have though marchi and Weaste would have picked up on this!

However the main problem with Forza 3 will definitely plague GT5.

Oops, missed this one.

Forza 2 is the best console driving game ever, but not THE best driving game ever. I'd have though marchi and Weaste would have picked up on this!

However the main problem with Forza 3 will definitely plague GT5.

What problem is that?