Gaming Gran Turismo 5

Hang on... you have to buy a wireless adaptor for the 360? Not only do you have to pay for the privilege of playing online, but also getting online in the first place? What the feck?

Do you have to buy the controllers, too? How about the on/off button? Do you need to pay separately for the case, or are they nice enough to provide you with a moulded plastic box for the bits to break in?

Jesus Christ.

Oh, yes!

Wireless adaptor - 55 quid on Play.com (RRP - 60)
Memory card 512MB - 30 quid on Play.com (RRP - 35)
120GB HDD - 90 quid on Play.com (RRP - 130)

wireless adapter - use a cable
memory card - it has a hard drive
120GB HDD - buy an elite

Who in their right mind wants to play with a cable? I love the fact that I can pick my Playstation up and put it anywhere in the house and have full strength wifi. Just last week I had it out on our back deck when some mates came around.

Hawkeye, the game could have been out this year, but Polyphony decided to create a more sophisticated damage model and has taken longer then expected.

Lets just get this straight. There is nothing in the infrastructure of PSN that adds lag more than XB LIVE, they both run over the Internet in a very similar fashion. As for FIFA/PRO EVO, that could be due to a multitude of factors, from the netcode used on the PS3 to the up speed of the person hosting the game.

Bandwidth can induce lag, but lag and bandwidth are not the same thing. For a 60fps game, a single frame takes around 16ms to render. Ping Google and see what the response time is, 30ms? 30ms for a round trip of very little data will not allow the network code to update player positions 60 times per second, but it does allow for 30 frames per second which is what most games run at in terms of graphic display refresh. You don't need to update the network information that fast however, and some games will use techniques to interpolate the position of each player from their previous known position, speed, and directional vector.

If any of you have a wireless connection, ping your router, and you'll get a time of less than 1ms which is less a response time that the game controller running wirelessly. It terms of bandwidth, a theoretical throughput of 56mbit/s is what wireless G offers, which is far in excess of most people's Internet connection in any case, especially the up speed. Doing a test on my PS3 through the browser to speedtest.net I get the full theoretical limits of my Internet connection reported on the PS3 when connected to the router wirelessly.

There are no real issues playing a game wirelessly over wired for most people with their network correctly set up.

Oh Polyphony Digital, what are you doing?

2wrqa76.jpg

20gmts3.jpg

947.jpg

$60 million it has cost to make GT5. :D

What did GT5 cost to make?

[He and translator do some figuring, converting yen to dollars] $60 million. There are other games that cost more. Considering the size and scale of the game, I think it's probably a fairly small amount.

SEMA show: More news on the much-anticipated <i>Gran Turismo 5</i> video game

So, 3 million GT5:P sold at 30 quid, factor out distribution, marketing, etc. It's already paid for itself.

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/104/1042835p1.html

Q&A With Gran Turismo's Kazunori Yamauchi

We corner Sony's resident car nut to talk about GT5, SEMA and his hot car of the moment.

by Ryan Geddes

US, November 9, 2009 - Gran Turismo series creator Kasunori Yamauchi is a regular at the Special Equipment Market Association (SEMA) Show in Las Vegas. Each year he walks the floor and chooses a winning custom automobile to be digitized and made playable in the next version of Gran Turismo. We caught up with the Sony/Polyphony Digital developer at the convention for a brief chat about the custom car scene and Grand Turismo 5, the long-awaited next installment in the legendary driving series.

What do you look for in a SEMA winner?

In the SEMA GT awards, we have Japanese cars, European cars, domestic cars, and we're basically just looking for the most high performance cars out there. But I haven't seen them yet so I don't know exactly whats's going to happen. We find the car that shines out from the crowd like a jewel.

Last year's SEMA was all about classic cars. What are the trends you are seeing this year?

Yes, the theme last year was nostalgia. There is a revivlal of a lot of American cars. This year one thing I noticed was there are a lot less European cars and I saw a lot of R35 GT-Rs that were tuned on the floor.

First the HPA Audi (TT), I was very impressed by the performance of the car, obviously. And also the level of completion of all the details of the car – the interior, exterior and nearly everything about it was just nearly perfect. And that was something I focused on.

For the (Infinity) G37, I was kind of overwhelmed by the wild exterior of the car and I think the other thing that really got me about that car was there were a lot of ppl who worked on that car. It was just the sort of car that everybody got together and poured their passion into. And that was something that I really liked about it.

Are you ready to announce a North American release date for Gran Turismo 5?

In Japan it's due to be released in March 2010. And the release date in North America shouldn't deviate too far from that, but it hasn't been decided yet.

You've said before there will be 20 locations with 70 variations. Can you break that down at all in more detail for people who are accustomed to hearing a specific number of tracks?

At SEMA we still can't talk about the details yet. As I mentioned before there will be 20 different types of scenery the game will be set in, and in those 20 different locations there will be 70 different layouts of tracks that will be available to play.

Have you finalized plans for a track editor?

Things like that I can't really discuss yet. This can be said about all the GT development. Until we're very close to release we won't have a finalized decision on a lot of things.

If there is a track editor, that will make your job easier, right? Because you can make fans design the tracks instead of your team.

[Laughs] A lot of the courses we set up, we take a long time fine-tuning the details and building the track, so it would probably be a bit different than the types of tracks the users will set up in the game.

Has it been decided if weather or time changes will be in the final game?

Technically it's already possible to do in the game, it's just how we're going to have that have meaning in the game.

Recently we saw a video of the Gran Turismo box with multiple discs. What exactly is on those discs?

[Laughs] That's something else we can't really talk about yet, but I'm surprised at the level of detail everyone is focused on.

The videos you've made to coincide with the announcment of the inclusion of cars like the Ferrari 458 Italia and the Toyota FT-86 were great. Are there plans to release more of them?

Of course. And we have a lot of collaborations going on with a lot of different manufacturers right now, so I think not just in terms of video, but we'll have other things to announce as time progresses.

Have plans been finalized for whether motorcycles will be featured in Gran Turismo 5?

If that's what users really want in the game, I think that's a possibility. Or we could consider making a Tourist Trophy 2 as well.

Past GT Award winners will appear in Gran Turismo 5.
Are you working with Logitech on a new racing wheel for GT5?

When the Driving Force GT came out, that was actually developed for GT5. And it was kind of an early release for it to be sold while GT5 Prologue was out. And we've yet to actually maximise the performance of that steering wheel. I think we're going to try to draw out all the potential it has before we move on to developing a new wheel. Because I think that steering wheel still has a lot of possibilities.

For the Top Gear tracks, will you be able to race agains The Stig's official times?

We're trying to plan that now.

If you could drive any car in the world you haven't driven yet, what would it be?

I'd like to try driving the Tesla Roadster S actually.

Will that car be in the game?

It will appear in the game, and I'm really itching to get the chance to drive that car.

1zl80oz.gif

k1z0wi.gif

This is interesting, total sales of all GT games up to September this year.

Code:
[B]Title 				Units (K)[/B]
Gran Turismo 			10,850
Gran Turismo 2 			9,370
Gran Turismo 3 A-spec 		14,890
Gran Turismo Concept Series 	1,560
Gran Turismo 4 “Prologue” 	1,350
Gran Turismo 4 			10,830
Gran Turismo 5 “Prologue” 	4,170
[B]Total[/B] 				[B]53,020[/B]

Polyphony Digital Inc. - Software Title List -

GT Academy 2010 Launches December 17th With Downloadable Time Trial

Hello everyone, its Penrose Tackie here Gran Turismo, European Brand Manager.

Following the groundbreaking success of the GT Academy last year and as part of our activities around the forthcoming launch of Gran Turismo 5, I am delighted to officially unveil GT Academy 2010.

On 17th December exclusively via the PlayStation store, we will be launching the GT Academy 2010 Time Trial. The time trial will be the only way into this year’s Academy, and if you’ve got what it takes it could be the start of a life-changing journey.

Last year the GT Academy programme unearthed a real driving talent in the form of Lucas Ordenez from Spain, who after winning the GT Academy went on to drive for the Nissan PlayStation race team and take an astonishing second place in the GT4 Championship – all in his first season!

This time around the Academy is even bigger and better, and competition is bound to be pretty fierce – perhaps best of all though for Gran Turismo fans, it will be the first opportunity to get a hands-on taster as to what Yamauchi-san and his Polyphony team have been carefully crafting and polishing at their Tokyo base.

Qualify in the top twenty within your country and you will be invited to a national final event, where you will pit your wits against the best Gran Turismo drivers in the country. If you make it from there only then will you join the elite 20 that will be taken into the GT Academy 2010.

Only the two best drivers will make it out of this 5 day test of nerve and skill. From there will follow an intensive driver training schedule from which we will select our one GT Academy ace.

The time trial features the stunning Nissan 370Z in two guises. Firstly a blisteringly fast, race-tuned monster and secondly an only slightly less fearsome non-tuned version.

The 370Z is the most recent of the new range of cars wearing the famous ‘Z’ brand revived by Japanese manufacturer Nissan. The car has been specially chosen for its challenging but hugely entertaining rear-wheel drive dynamics and the time trial should allow GT novices and veterans alike to get a real idea of what its like to get to grips with this sensational car

To enter the Academy racers will have to post their best overall leaderboard times negotiating a specially created section of a new Gran Turismo 5 circuit. This best time will be a composite of two separate runs – one with the tuned vehicle and the other with the non-tuned version.

You will have the opportunity to keep refining your overall best time from the launch of the demo right up until the close of this time trial stage at 24.00 CET on 24th January 2010.

The GT Academy will run in the following countries:

* UK
* Ireland
* France
* Switzerland
* Italy
* Germany
* Austria
* Denmark
* Norway
* Finland
* Sweden
* Spain
* Portugal
* Netherlands
* Belgium
* Australia
* New Zealand

However gamers in countries not mentioned on the list need not fear as there will be a special Gran Turismo 5 Time Trial Challenge for them to get to grips with it, too.

GT Academy 2010 Launches December 17th With Downloadable Time Trial – PlayStation.Blog.Europe

Ooooooooooooooohhh!

Good news, weaste

GT Academy 2010 Launches December 17th With Downloadable Time Trial – PlayStation.Blog.Europe

Following the groundbreaking success of the GT Academy last year and as part of our activities around the forthcoming launch of Gran Turismo 5, I am delighted to officially unveil GT Academy 2010. The following is a brief overview of this year’s Academy, but to make sure you’re getting the latest info, make sure you’re following the Facebook fan page.

On 17th December exclusively via the PlayStation store, we will be launching the GT Academy 2010 Time Trial. The time trial will be the only way into this year’s Academy, and if you’ve got what it takes it could be the start of a life-changing journey.

Last year the GT Academy programme unearthed a real driving talent in the form of Lucas Ordonez from Spain, who after winning the GT Academy went on to drive for the Nissan PlayStation race team and take an astonishing second place in the GT4 Championship – all in his first season!

This time around the Academy is even bigger and better, and competition is bound to be pretty fierce – perhaps best of all though for Gran Turismo fans, it will be the first opportunity to get a hands-on taster as to what Yamauchi-san and his Polyphony team have been carefully crafting and polishing at their Tokyo base.

Qualify in the top twenty within your country and you will be invited to a national final event, where you will pit your wits against the best Gran Turismo drivers in the country. If you make it from there only then will you join the elite 20 that will be taken into the GT Academy 2010.

Only the two best drivers will make it out of this 5 day test of nerve and skill. From there will follow an intensive driver training schedule from which we will select our one GT Academy ace.

The time trial features the stunning Nissan 370Z in two guises. Firstly a blisteringly fast, race-tuned monster and secondly an only slightly less fearsome non-tuned version.

The 370Z is the most recent of the new range of cars wearing the famous ‘Z’ brand revived by Japanese manufacturer Nissan. The car has been specially chosen for its challenging but hugely entertaining rear-wheel drive dynamics and the time trial should allow GT novices and veterans alike to get a real idea of what its like to get to grips with this sensational car

To enter the Academy racers will have to post their best overall leaderboard times negotiating a specially created section of a new Gran Turismo 5 circuit. This best time will be a composite of two separate runs – one with the tuned vehicle and the other with the non-tuned version.

You will have the opportunity to keep refining your overall best time from the launch of the demo right up until the close of this time trial stage at 24.00 CET on 24th January 2010.

The GT Academy will run in the following countries:

* UK
* Ireland
* France
* Switzerland
* Italy
* Germany
* Austria
* Denmark
* Norway
* Finland
* Sweden
* Spain
* Portugal
* Netherlands
* Belgium
* Australia
* New Zealand

However gamers in countries not mentioned on the list need not fear as there will be a special Gran Turismo 5 Time Trial Challenge for them to get to grips with it, too.

If you want to keep up to date with what’s happening with GT5 and the GT Academy 2010 keep checking back on the PlayStation.Blog and also check out the following links.

Gran Turismo: The Official Site - Country / Region Selector
GT Academy | Facebook
GT Academy 2010 (GTAcademy) on Twitter

GT fans get ready to start your engines!

A sneak peak at the Indy road circuit that should be in this competition time trial demo that will use the new professional driving physics.

The player gets beaten quite easily by Kaz Yamauchi's ghost.

Why do people race in that view, its like having a prize race horse and running along side it.

A sneak peak at the Indy road circuit that should be in this competition time trial demo that will use the new professional driving physics.

The player gets beaten quite easily by Kaz Yamauchi's ghost.

I see they are still using that stupid tyre squealing noise that's been in since the first one. I love Gran Turismo but I thought they would have changed this by now it's fecking awful after playing it for a few days.