Gaming Gran Turismo 5

I would agree with that and it is a sensible decision really, although I have no idea what the sales of it are like in Japan? I would imagine that the Final Fantasy type games sell better over there and having the 2 biggest PS3 releases (I know FFXIII isn't exclusive) in the same month just doesnt make sense.

Some new stuff.

Gran Turismo 5 GPS Functionality, 3D Confirmed
January 15th, 2010 by Jordan

Here’s some of the first news to come out of the Tokyo Auto Salon 2010: Polyphony Digital has partnered with auto technology company Denso to develop a “GPS-track day unit”, one of which will be included in the new Toyota FT-86G. It works by monitoring your position as you put in hot laps around a real-world track (which is also in GT5, of course). Pull the memory card out of your car and plug it into your PS3, and the data collected will be used to reconstruct your lap within the game. From there, you’ll be able to watch your replay or compete against yourself by loading the replay as a “ghost” car.

According to MotorTrend, Polyphony and Denso’s GPS unit was tested in a race-spec Lexus IS-F at the Nurburgring last October (probably during Yamauchi’s VLN race). MotorTrend editor Peter Lyon was also able to confirm that a “3D version” of GT5 will be available “as soon as 3D TVs become available on the market,” (Sony’s 3D TVs will be available this summer).

Gran Turismo 5 GPS Functionality, 3D Confirmed

Just how good does this look, and how bad is the player! :lol:

All I can say to that is, WOW :eek:

That looks fecking incredible, and yes, he is a terrible driver :lol:

Just hurry up and release this please.

What To Do With Polyphony Digital? - polyphony digital - Kotaku

What To Do With Polyphony Digital?

Let's play a game. Imagine you are not you. You are, instead, Sony Computer Entertainment boss Kaz Hirai. And you have a dilemma on your hands.

See, you are part of a massive corporation that for years now has been bleeding money. Meaning across the board, Sony has had to cut costs, trim the fat and find more competitive ways of doing business. Sony Computer Entertainment itself is not excused from this, as witnessed by the "slimming down" of the PlayStation 3 in 2009.

Now imagine that, with hardware sales finally beginning to show signs of sustained success, you shift your focus to the software side of things. To Sony's development studios. See how they're all shaping up, whether any fat can be trimmed from there (remember, this is hypothetical; to the best of our knowledge, Hirai isn't actually doing this).

You don't get very far down your list before you hit Polyphony Digital, developers of the Gran Turismo series. Where there are, next to the polite list of "pros", several large bullet-points in the "cons" section, all of them in very red pen.

No console Gran Turismo since 2004. A PlayStation Portable game that went from system-seller to vapourware to disappointment. A single game (Gran Turismo 5) that has been almost six years in development, has cost a reported $60 million (and counting!) and has just been delayed. Again.

As a man who has a long history with the PlayStation brand, you may think Polyphony is untouchable. That the studio is inseparable from the glory days of the company's gaming division. That regardless of how long Polyphony spends finishing it or how much money is sunk into Gran Turismo 5, it will be a successful game. That it's hard-line realism and gorgeous graphics will serve as the ultimate showcase for the PlayStation 3.

Then again, you are, at the end of the day, a man with a business to run and a bottom line to think about. You're aware that the driving sim is a genre in decline. That those titles remaining in the field have reacted to this and now focus on the raw thrills of driving, rather than the tedium required to master a simulation. And you are reminded that Gran Turismo's only real competition, the Forza series, has managed three full (and reasonably successful) titles in the time it's taken Polyphony to release barely half a game (Gran Turismo 5: Prologue).

Consider all of the above, and answer this: how much longer do you keep giving these people money to sit around perfecting door-knob models and hard-road suspensions? As much time as they need? Do you start implementing some hard deadlines? Or do you go a little extreme and cut them loose?

:lol:

Can any of you write, are interested in games, and want a job? Because there must be lots of opportunities to get into being a gaming "journalist" with the quality that they currently have. This bloke actually gets paid a wage to write that!

$60m is not really much when you consider how much the game is actually going to make. And his total disregard for the Prologue which was hugely successful is beyond silly. I may take up journalism in gaming.

How did GT PSP do anyway? Was it disappointing or did it catch on well? I suppose a lot are just waiting for the full titile, I have no doubts it'll be worth the long wait.

I've no clue about GT:PSP, probably pirated to hell and back. I believe that Prologue is close to 4.5 million sales worldwide now. It has basically paid for the whole development costs of GT5 on its own.

It's as daft as saying that Square Enix should have cut the FF XIII team loose, a game that started development on the PS2. It's sold almost 2 million copies at full price in Japan alone inside a month.

What makes it even more ridiculous is that the board of Polyphony Digital is comprised of:

Kazunori Yamauchi
Kaz Hirai
Masaru Kato
Shuhei Yoshida
Kiyoshi Akutsu

That's the man himself, the President and CEO of SCE as a whole, and the President of SCE World Wide Studios - the blokes that make the software. They make it sound as if Yamauchi runs around doing whatever he likes.

What To Do With Polyphony Digital? - polyphony digital - Kotaku

What To Do With Polyphony Digital?

Let's play a game. Imagine you are not you. You are, instead, Sony Computer Entertainment boss Kaz Hirai. And you have a dilemma on your hands.

See, you are part of a massive corporation that for years now has been bleeding money. Meaning across the board, Sony has had to cut costs, trim the fat and find more competitive ways of doing business. Sony Computer Entertainment itself is not excused from this, as witnessed by the "slimming down" of the PlayStation 3 in 2009.

Now imagine that, with hardware sales finally beginning to show signs of sustained success, you shift your focus to the software side of things. To Sony's development studios. See how they're all shaping up, whether any fat can be trimmed from there (remember, this is hypothetical; to the best of our knowledge, Hirai isn't actually doing this).

You don't get very far down your list before you hit Polyphony Digital, developers of the Gran Turismo series. Where there are, next to the polite list of "pros", several large bullet-points in the "cons" section, all of them in very red pen.

No console Gran Turismo since 2004. A PlayStation Portable game that went from system-seller to vapourware to disappointment. A single game (Gran Turismo 5) that has been almost six years in development, has cost a reported $60 million (and counting!) and has just been delayed. Again.

As a man who has a long history with the PlayStation brand, you may think Polyphony is untouchable. That the studio is inseparable from the glory days of the company's gaming division. That regardless of how long Polyphony spends finishing it or how much money is sunk into Gran Turismo 5, it will be a successful game. That it's hard-line realism and gorgeous graphics will serve as the ultimate showcase for the PlayStation 3.

Then again, you are, at the end of the day, a man with a business to run and a bottom line to think about. You're aware that the driving sim is a genre in decline. That those titles remaining in the field have reacted to this and now focus on the raw thrills of driving, rather than the tedium required to master a simulation. And you are reminded that Gran Turismo's only real competition, the Forza series, has managed three full (and reasonably successful) titles in the time it's taken Polyphony to release barely half a game (Gran Turismo 5: Prologue).

Consider all of the above, and answer this: how much longer do you keep giving these people money to sit around perfecting door-knob models and hard-road suspensions? As much time as they need? Do you start implementing some hard deadlines? Or do you go a little extreme and cut them loose?

:lol:

Can any of you write, are interested in games, and want a job? Because there must be lots of opportunities to get into being a gaming "journalist" with the quality that they currently have. This bloke actually gets paid a wage to write that!

What a dead set feck wit. Not only is he a ill informed fool, but does he full realize that that half a game 'GT5:P' has outsold both Forza 2 and Forza 3 'thus far' in game sales? GTPSP was always going to be considered some what of a failure compared to its full console brother, but other then that, its by far the most technically amazing game of any hand held console ever. How the hell they did and fit what they did in to that game i'll never know. Its quite simply amazing.

GT is a console seller. Over 50 million units sold and this fool thinks he can question just how valuable to sony they are. Let me put it this way, its averages 10 million copies per game, and 4 million per mini game exclusively to Sony. After Zelda, final fantasy 'until now', Mario and Pokemon, its the biggest selling exclusive console game of all time. OF ALL TIME and its had 6 variations over an 8 year period 'GT1 98, GT5-P 08 not included in the units sold the downloads of GT HD and GT challenge which is estimated at 2 million ' Compared to the other 4 that have had 20+ games in their line up, that's incredible...

454870full.jpg

454872full.jpg

454874full.jpg

454876full.jpg

454878full.jpg

454882full.jpg

454884full.jpg

i still play gt 4 on my ps2. and i have to say that i love it.

career is fantastic. no story at all but you just want to drive and drive.

photo mode in gt 5 will be magnificent. shots will be rescaled and its quality will be sth in the region of 12megapix .

thats sick.

hopefully during christmas this year i will be playing gt5.

Gran Turismo 5 “SLS AMG Driving Experience”
January 29th, 2010 by Jordan

gt5-sls-amg-driving-experience.jpg

German readers, listen up! Via their “Daimler” blog, Mercedes-Benz has just announced the “Gran Turismo 5 SLS AMG Driving Experience” in the Mercedes Museum at the company’s Stuttgart headquarters. Apparently, the installation consists of two GT5 Prologue-branded cockpits (the same kind Sony awarded GTPlanet user, Ahmed back in ‘08) running yet another new GT5 demo featuring only the SLS AMG and the Nurburgring Nordschleife. What really makes it special, though, is a very generous time limit of what appears to be around 12:00 minutes.

That’s a big deal, because it’s 9 minutes longer than any other demo we’ve seen at the various game shows – more than enough time to get in a complete lap around the Nordschleife while acquiring a true feel for the demo’s physics and game play. The installation will be available from now until March 28, so if you’re anywhere near Stuttgart, grab an HD camera and a tripod and head to the museum! source: gtpla.net

Anyone form Stuttgart ?

i still play gt 4 on my ps2. and i have to say that i love it.

career is fantastic. no story at all but you just want to drive and drive.

photo mode in gt 5 will be magnificent. shots will be rescaled and its quality will be sth in the region of 12megapix .

thats sick.

hopefully during christmas this year i will be playing gt5.

Its how racing should be. Start with a shitty car and build an empire. Its the only thing I don't like about GT. Having to start your collection all over again, but at the same time its part of the fun.

Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 (Preorder) $69.99CDN

ps3_granturismo5.jpg

Price, release dates, and shipping rates are subject to change.

Use PREORDER NOW PAY LATER checkout option and you don't pay until it ships. Not available if using paypal as payment method.

The next installment of the award-winning racing franchise, Gran Turismo® 5, is coming exclusively to the PLAYSTATION®3 system. Known for its signature beauty and precision, the highly anticipated racer will showcase new jaw-dropping cars, real-life tracks, and diverse racing styles. Gran Turismo promises to deliver exciting advancements to the series in the most comprehensive racing experience ever.

This product will be in stock on Monday 01 November, 2010.

source:Welcome to Video Games Plus Online

i hope this is a misunderstanding .

I read somewhere it was September but November is probably when it will get released. I can't say I am suprised or bothered really, there are plently of good titles out in the meantime and a November release would be perfect for the PS3 Christmas rush 2010, not that us owners really care about that.

It seems that they have been updating the tracks since the last time we saw them. It's only an offscreen of the semi-finals of the time trial, but the difference is quite stark.

Prologue:
346w1fo.png

New Time Trial Build:
28jkvmd.png

That Nascar footage looks very good, I have been won over by oval racing abit recently and have raced online in the open wheel equivilents in a 35 car field and its a different kind of racing. Nascar to watch is good but to actually race its so much fun being able to go two or three wide into the corners, not sure how the online element of this would work but I imagine it will be an underused element by alot of gamers simply because its so easy to be punted round on public servers.

I hope we're still going to arrange a RedCafe Tournament. We could all chip £20 into a pot (literally) and the winner could take all. Or split it into 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

When the feck is it being released anyhow?