Graham Potter | turns down Ajax job

Managers buy themselves time in the job by getting results, I don't see what Chelsea are trying to hold on to.

Exactly, I mean there is absolutely no idea, no game plan in the way Chelsea are playing with him. It does not matter the new player overhaul, they are all over the place and a proper manager would at least make them play something, anything.
I always thought Potter is a good, modern manager with a positive philosophy(judging what he did at Brighton).

From Opta:

In a run that started on November 6th, Chelsea have scored 6 goals across their last 15 games in all competitions, the fewest of any side in England's top four tiers. Over the same period, Man Utd have scored 50 goals, including 18 goals from Marcus Rashford. Contrast.

Chelsea fans, if the issue isn't Potter then what is it?

There's lots of reasons why we've been shite this season. If you honestly think Potter is the only issue then fair enough.

I could go through a lot of the others but it would only be met with "you're trying to excuse Potter" or "boo hoo, spend a billion and can't score".

There's lots of reasons why we've been shite this season. If you honestly think Potter is the only issue then fair enough.

I could go through a lot of the others but it would only be met with "you're trying to excuse Potter" or "boo hoo, spend a billion and can't score".
I don’t think Potter is the only issue, Bohely seems to be trying his best to make Potter's situation as difficult as possible but you would still suggest a decent manager could get a tune out of at least 11 of those players in that squad. The reason Chelsea are playing so poorly is down to Potter, you can't put that on the owner. Chelsea just seem to lack any fight at the moment.

I don’t think Potter is the only issue, Bohely seems to be trying his best to make Potter's situation as difficult as possible but you would still suggest a decent manager could get a tune out of at least 11 of those players in that squad. The reason Chelsea are playing so poorly is down to Potter, you can't put that on the owner. Chelsea just seem to lack any fight at the moment.

The owners? I certainly don't put it on the owners.

We've been shite so far for a variety of reasons, Potter is one of many of those reasons.

There might be some truth to this but it’s not all on him and it’s not all on the owners. The whole club has something wrong and every single person working from the admin side to the playing staff should bear some responsibility.

I do find it puzzling how so many people believe Potter should go, yet if (or when) it happens, the narrative will inevitably shift to Chelsea not giving him enough time or the environment to succeed. Something will be spun to paint us in a bad light when we are actually sticking by him during a really bad period.

Tuchel was allowed 8 months of shit form so by my reckoning Potter should get at least the same. That means the end of the season and then all parties should sit down for a long hard review of what’s gone wrong and what needs to be done to change it. If that means Potter going then so be it.

I generally don't favour sacking managers quickly, and its fair to say that Chelsea would struggle to replace him with a quality manager mid-season anyway. But its also clear that Chelsea are in a doom spiral now, and its very difficult to get out of them without a radical change. Unfortunately, in football, the manager is often the thing that's easiest to change for the biggest impact.

While 14 points to 4th place is surely insurmountable, given the form of the teams above, the gap to 6th and (probable) Europa League qualification is definitely doable. As much maligned as it is, with a squad Chelsea's size they need the games to keep coming to keep people happy, and much like us this year, they would start the competition as one of the favourites. Plus a few more home games would keep some money coming in to cover those long contracts.

I personally never rated Potter and felt his Brighton team were overrated, but I don't think this is down to what Potter has done. I don't think he's had any chance at all to try and run the team as he wants, he's done nothing but try and put out fires since he arrived. But the reality is he's reached the point where it would be harder for him to put it right than it would be for someone else coming in. The fans are turning, if not turned, and the players don't seem to be responding to him. You feel like the jolt that a new manager brings could be enough to get a couple of wins on board and turn the mood of the camp entirely.

It gets worse

They’ve on the verge of a relegation scrap now but an injury to Reece or even Felix and I can’t see how they win a game

There might be some truth to this but it’s not all on him and it’s not all on the owners. The whole club has something wrong and every single person working from the admin side to the playing staff should bear some responsibility.

I do find it puzzling how so many people believe Potter should go, yet if (or when) it happens, the narrative will inevitably shift to Chelsea not giving him enough time or the environment to succeed. Something will be spun to paint us in a bad light when we are actually sticking by him during a really bad period.

Tuchel was allowed 8 months of shit form so by my reckoning Potter should get at least the same. That means the end of the season and then all parties should sit down for a long hard review of what’s gone wrong and what needs to be done to change it. If that means Potter going then so be it.
The narrative from whom? I don't think anyone on here would drive that narrative.

His mates in the media will, of course (he seems to be good pals with a lot of pundits), but that's par for the courses.

Given the squad Chelsea will have next year (Nkunku to come in as well remember), a decent manager could easily get them firing with a good pre-season under their belt in fairly short order, especially if no European distractions. A title shot is not completely out of the question with that squad.

Provided they can get rid of 10+ players so that there's some chance of building a cohesive squad. I think that might be Potters biggest problem. Not one of his making, but on the other hand he doesn't seem to have handled it very well.

Sean Dyche has won the same number of Premier League games as Graham Potter since 17th October and he only joined Everton a month ago. Just think if he had some time, some really good players and £600m to spend.

You have to laugh :lol:

The excuse readiness by some people is insane. No-one would expect them to challenge for the title or even be getting top four easily, but right now they literally cannot score a goal. It's so, so poor whatever way you look at it.

You have to laugh :lol:

The excuse readiness by some people is insane. No-one would expect them to challenge for the title or even be getting top four easily, but right now they literally cannot score a goal. It's so, so poor whatever way you look at it.

I don't think anybody is making excuses anymore. That was so 20 pages ago.

I'm stunned he has done this bad, he didn't even walk into a bad squad like arteta did, he just walked into a squad that wasn't well balanced. Since day one he hasn't known the team he wants to play and all the new signings have made it worse. Need to grow a pair and pick his starting 11 and stick with it for a while.

Hope they are really going to stick with him like they say but I can't see it, his record really is that bad.

Not sure why people keeping bringing their squad size as some sort of hindrance when they’ve had loads of injuries this season.

Sure having a massive squad has its own issues but when they’ve regularly had 8-10 players out with injuries this season it sort of helps, doesn’t it?

Provided they can get rid of 10+ players so that there's some chance of building a cohesive squad. I think that might be Potters biggest problem. Not one of his making, but on the other hand he doesn't seem to have handled it very well.
Yep, agree with that otherwise you have the problem of highly rated players earning excellent salaries with next to no chance of playing.
Might be too big an ask of potter as he won’t have come across a problem like this before. I don’t think anyone has on this scale!

What a shitshow. My head hurts thinking about Chelsea. Isn't it glorious looking down at the mess that other clubs are in from our lofty perch of togetherness and logical decisions? Weird but glorious.

What, the tweet @cyberman posted? He said nothing of the sort and I see no other mentions of Silva in the last 3 pages.
Oh I’m not giving excuses. My tweet is merely to point out it’s harder to improve without your best player in the team.

Love watching Boehly's gargantuan ego take a massive hit with this shitshow.

Seems like Glazers, Chelsea waits to sack him after top 4 becomes impossible so that his big payoff will be limited. Its very unlike Roman's Chelsea. Maybe the worse results will soon push them to make a decision as Boehy is loosing face.