Graham Potter | turns down Ajax job

Isn't that more on the player than on the manager though? English really isn't that hard to learn (coming from a non-native) and any footballer who comes to live and play in England should start learning the language ASAP if they don't already speak it. Knowing the language will not only help them do their job better but will make a huge difference in adapting to life in a new country as well.

Not knowing the language is something that can be forgiven in the early months after coming in but if they still struggle with the language barrier a year later the problem is not the manager not being proficient in the player's own langague but rather the player himself just being either thick headed or not even bothering to learn.

Just look at the likes of Fikayo Tomori and Tammy Abraham who went to Italy and were already giving out interviews in fluent Italian less than a year after going there. And then there's thick cnuts like Carlos Tevez who played in England for about a decade and never learnt a single word of English.

I'd agree, as long as the club is providing those lessons and the framework for the person to learn English.

you may even have 2 games in a month with fixtures getting cancelled due to others doing well in cups
Apart from the league cup final (and I guess CWC if by some miracle an English team beats Madrid) when would that even happen?

If games get moved for an FA Cup semi or final they're usually played the following midweek.

For those asking how Potters start compares to Artetas.

The caveat I'd add is remember Arsenal went on a massive slump the following first half of the next season that easily could have seen him lose his job.

Form picked up again after Xmas, ironically after introducing ESR and defeating Chelsea.

Apart from the league cup final (and I guess CWC if by some miracle an English team beats Madrid) when would that even happen?

If games get moved for an FA Cup semi or final they're usually played the following midweek.
Happened to Liverpool a few years back. Ended up with two games in a month so fecked off to Spain for a mid season break.
There’s international breaks that could play into it as well.

Why compare Potter's 26 games with Arteta's first 28? Laziness from Sky?

No idea. Game 27 was a win against Man United, Game 28 was a Loss against Aston Villa. Might as well have left them at 26

I know people in the game. Funny enough they hugely rate Potter. Maybe there’s more to it than analysing the game (apparently he’s a genius at that) than actually managing the game. The people I know also hugely rated Jesse Marsch.

No idea. Game 27 was a win against Man United, Game 28 was a Loss against Aston Villa. Might as well have left them at 26

Would assume that's because Arteta had 28 games that season after taking over from Emery? And they didn't think it worthwhile to separate out two of those games from his season stats when making the comparison? Not ideal, but journalism is a bitch when it comes to time-pressure.

Would assume that's because Arteta had 28 games that season after taking over from Emery? And they didn't think it worthwhile to separate out two of those games from his season stats when making the comparison? Not ideal, but journalism is a bitch when it comes to time-pressure.

Let me see how long it takes (and bear in mind, I am dumb).

Let me see how long it takes (and bear in mind, I am dumb).

His first match as manager was a 1-1 Draw away to Bournemouth. His 27th match was a 3-2 win v Watford and his 28th match was a 2-1 over Chelsea.

So yeah, they've just included all the matches he was in charge for that season rather than take the last two games (both wins) off for a proper comparison.

His stats will still be miles better of course but pure lazy "journalism".

His first match as manager was a 1-1 Draw away to Bournemouth. His 27th match was a 3-2 win v Watford and his 28th match was a 2-1 over Chelsea.

So yeah, they've just included all the matches he was in charge for that season rather than take the last two games (both wins) off for a proper comparison.

I don't know why the starts were compared anyway. As I mentioned previously, Artetas really poor run came the first part of the next season. So if anything that would be the comparison to make regards sticking by a manager with poor results. So yeah, lazy journalism indeed.

Regardless the level of journalism: Potter bringing up Pre-Season and other managers that were kept despite bad results read defo like "last line of defence" deflection of a manager about to be sacked.

Regardless the level of journalism: Potter bringing up Pre-Season and other managers that were kept despite bad results read defo like "last line of defence" deflection of a manager about to be sacked.
He isn’t handling the pressure at all well. It’s clear. Still I have not seen a name mention yet to replace him that I like or think is capable of making any difference right now.

For entertainment's sake, him getting sacked and them rehiring Mourinho would be sensational.
It would be genuinely hilarious. I don't see another top 6 team in England taking a chance of him though.

Is he gone if they don't beat Leeds and then gets knocked out of CL? Would one of the two do the trick?

Is he gone if they don't beat Leeds and then gets knocked out of CL? Would one of the two do the trick?
It'll probably be a similar outcome to us with Moyes if they've held on this long. Sack him once Champions League qualification is mathematically impossible

But then I didn't see a top 6 team in England taking a chance on Aubameyang either.
It's different with an individual player. A manager who puts everything that exists in your club under a dark cloud is an entirely different proposition.

He didn't bring up pre-season, a journo asked him about it.
ok. Still think he could have answered differently and better as we all, and those pros especially, know how the media would spin it. Saying something boring like "Pre season wasn't great as I heard but it's long ago and should not play any part in our current situation." - but to say sth like "experienced players told me it was the worst pre season they ever had" is just yellow press gossip level imho.

He comes across very defensive in my opinion which isn't the correct approach to the situation if you ask me. Appears like a a lame duck and not the sympathetic elder statesman image he goes or (imho).

Anyway, he's in an all or nothing situation where only (good) results can bring him back some leeway, so it's not that big of a deal in itself I would think but still plays into the narrative that he's not big enough a fish for the pond he's swimming in.

It's different with an individual player. A manager who puts everything that exists in your club under a dark cloud is an entirely different proposition.

My point is just that just because something seems like an obviously ludicruous idea, that doesn't mean Todd Boehly won't do it.

It'll probably be a similar outcome to us with Moyes if they've held on this long. Sack him once Champions League qualification is mathematically impossible

Could be the approach they go with, but even if it's mathematically possible right now, it should be pretty to everyone that it's not happening.

My point is just that just because something seems like an obviously ludicruous idea, that doesn't mean Todd Boehly won't do it.
This would be different level. Aubameyang had a mini renaissance at Barcelona and Chelsea were desperate for a striker. There's no world in which Mourinho can be the answer for Chelsea.

Could be the approach they go with, but even if it's mathematically possible right now, it should be pretty to everyone that it's not happening.
Yep, but in our case it was a contractual stipulation for the pay off. Potter is on a long contract and if Chelsea have any sense they would've inserted a similar Champions League break clause to save them from having to pay him £50m odd.

Yep, but in our case it was a contractual stipulation for the pay off. Potter is on a long contract and if Chelsea have any sense they would've inserted a similar Champions League break clause to save them from having to pay him £50m odd.

That makes sense, and also puts Potter in a very strange position. Basically, just waiting for the inevitable day when firing him becomes a lot easier.

This would be different level. Aubameyang had a mini renaissance at Barcelona and Chelsea were desperate for a striker. There's no world in which Mourinho can be the answer for Chelsea.

Well, he's had a mini renaissance at AS Roma, and Chelsea would be desperate for a manager?

Anyway, no one's saying they would be mistakes on the same level.

He isn’t handling the pressure at all well. It’s clear. Still I have not seen a name mention yet to replace him that I like or think is capable of making any difference right now.

Imho Dortmund will be the crucial fixture. If they win it will buy him some time, if he loses imho all bets are off and everything can happen - and then it's not about this season anymore but about how the best setup for the next one appears to be. If that means keeping Potter around for as a lame duck for as long as a new permanent manager would make sense to bring in, a short interim for the rest of this season or to back Potter no matter what (most unlikely scenario) it's anyone's guess..

I only counted the games from the Premier League. Stats taken from the listings at Transfermarkt.

Well, he's had a mini renaissance at AS Roma, and Chelsea would be desperate for a manager?

Anyway, no one's saying they would be mistakes on the same level.

Jose is doing pretty well at Roma to be fair. He is still himself, but his tendency to be a massive a-hole seems to mesh well with the Italian league