Graham Potter | turns down Ajax job

Poor Potter.

Absolute bullshit media narrative. There's no way a professional football coach can't somehow incorporate an extra few players into a training session.

"Sorry lads, we've not got enough space for more than one 5-a-side game so some of you will have to sit and watch, but I promise we'll do rolling subs"

If the chairman is telling the coach how many players to use in a training session it's time for the coach to leave.
Can you imagine Ferguson or Pep putting up with that

I cant imagine any chairman that would be so stupid as to even try telling them what to do. Its possible Potter simply lacks the gravitas to work well with this particular owner.

Yeah I think he’s one of the best paid in the world from memory

Staggering really, you'd think that level of money would be reserved for the managers that have won titles etc, was he in that much demand?

@sglowrider didn't Ten Hag also cost us something stupidly low like 1.2m too? All thing considered EtH has been worth every penny so far.

I cant imagine any chairman that would be so stupid as to even try telling them what to do. Its possible Potter simply lacks the gravitas to work well with this particular owner.
Boehly tried to pitch 443 as a formation. Don't underestimate how shite he can be.

Staggering really, you'd think that level of money would be reserved for the managers that have won titles etc, was he in that much demand?

@sglowrider didn't Ten Hag also cost us something stupidly low like 1.2m too? All thing considered EtH has been worth every penny so far.

He wasn’t in demand no but Chelsea were desperate to get him and the season has started.

ETH is on a 3 year contract :nervous:

He wasn’t in demand no but Chelsea were desperate to get him and the season has started.

Very poor business on Chelsea's end (shock) then, Potter didn't really have loads of options, hard to imagine he was on a lot at Brighton, he and his agent must have blacked out when they seen that wage.

Absolute bullshit media narrative. There's no way a professional football coach can't somehow incorporate an extra few players into a training session.

"Sorry lads, we've not got enough space for more than one 5-a-side game so some of you will have to sit and watch, but I promise we'll do rolling subs"

Sounds like a polite way of moaning that the squad players are shit.

I find it very interesting that people say that Chelsea is a big club so there will be pressure on the job.

That's got nothing to do with it, any PL club with his record, the manager will be under pressure. Regardless if its Chelsea or Bournemouth.

They've spent 600m and cannot get a win this year.

I think Potter's going to need to be sacked fairly soon because he's showing absolutely no sign that he's going to be capable of turning the mess at Chelsea around. With that said, I think he is very far from being the primary issue at Chelsea, and I'm not convinced that things are going to get much better when he's gone.

Continuity is, in my view, probably one of the most undervalued principles in football. There's an extent to which it can go too far, but with the vast sums of money being spent and the constant managerial changes that characterise modern football, I definitely think people sometimes lose sight of the fact that new ideas take time to embed and can only really do so if there is some degree of continuity within the team.

Chelsea's squad is ludicrously bloated right now. They have so many players competing for places that it's damn near impossible to get any of them used to playing with each other whilst also keeping all of them happy with the amount of game time they're getting. Potter is currently having to balance getting a squad of very unfamiliar players acquainted with a new playing style with keeping probably around 25 borderline internationals happy with their playing time. I don't think he's found that balance, or even come close, but I equally think it's an entirely unenviable task.

This is also why I think United need to be careful when offloading players this summer. I think we will need to get rid of some squad players, but I equally think it's important to appreciate that having some of these reliable squad players provides value simply in that it allows the first-team to develop their cohesion without causing friction in the dressing room.

Also, please employ me as next Chelsea manager - I'll take a 3 year contract on 3 million a year.

If I'm awful after 3 games I'll accept the job is too big for me and walk away quietly with my 9 million pay off :D

I dont quite understand the reasoning behind the contract length he was given. The club gambled on Potter having double the longevity of a "normal" PL coach of just over 2 years.

Thank goodness they don't have Tuchel with this group of players. Reckon he'd have them winning in no time.
I really don't. This Chelsea squad has stacks of individual talent within it but it's not cohesive at all. I'd say probably Zidane or Ancelotti would be best placed to get something out of it but generally I'd just say it's a vastly overrated squad because of the quality of some of the players within it, in much the same way ours have often been post-Ferguson.

Thank goodness they don't have Tuchel with this group of players. Reckon he'd have them winning in no time.
Tuchel is massively overrated. Boring football and last year they finished a lot closer to 5th then they did 2nd. And they only did that because Tottenham, Arsenal and United seemed to be going out of their way to avoid the top 4.

Tuchel is massively overrated. Boring football and last year they finished a lot closer to 5th then they did 2nd. And they only did that because Tottenham, Arsenal and United seemed to be going out of their way to avoid the top 4.

Perhaps - but I reckon Chelsea fans would take 5th now if offered

I mean I wonder why Tuchel is rated so highly, yet Di Matteo isnt. He did the same thing, came in and won the CL.

Tuchel is massively overrated by alot of people, he is another defensive manager that has no attacking plan.

I mean I wonder why Tuchel is rated so highly, yet Di Matteo isnt. He did the same thing, came in and won the CL.

Tuchel is massively overrated by alot of people, he is another defensive manager that has no attacking plan.
Best thing that could happen to Tuchel at Chelsea was getting sacked. Now he's living off this "whatif" reputation. Not saying he would struggle as much as Potter, but with Boehly running the place I don't think he'd be doing that much better.

Now seeing "Pol Potter" doing the rounds online :lol:
Gab Marcotti was using this as a way to explain Bohleys disappearing of Chelsea board overnight on his ESPN show that I literally just wached.
I’d say it was in poor taste to say the least

Sorry but that's nonsense.

Even if we ignore the fact our points haul last season is almost always enough for top four we were juggling 5 competitions, an injury crisis and unprecented external situation whereas Arsenal and Spurs had just the league to focus on from early January and the first day of March respectively.

Some were actually annoyed when I called this guy a fraud few weeks ago. I stand by what I said. He has proven himself to be a godawful manager who doesn't belong to this level of sport. Brighton was his level.

Perhaps - but I reckon Chelsea fans would take 5th now if offered

5th, 10th, who gives a shit really? I think it was Mother Theresa who said "if you aint first, you're last".

I'd rather not be in Europe than the conference or Europa in all honesty. Last time it happened, we won the league the following season and the lack of games really helped.

Is he actually earning £12m a year? :eek:

I didn't realise that! That's crazy!

Why on earth did they offer him that? I bet he was on around 2 million a year at Brighton?

It's a bold strategy by Chelsea just to offer everyone they bring in massive wages and lengthy contracts!

Best thing that could happen to Tuchel at Chelsea was getting sacked. Now he's living off this "whatif" reputation. Not saying he would struggle as much as Potter, but with Boehly running the place I don't think he'd be doing that much better.

Its actually done Tuchel a favour because he has kept his reputation in tact, maybe even improved it.

This will help him get another job.

Graham Potter should be backed rather than sacked, he has been given a whole load of new players most of who he didnt choose and needs to be given time to sort them out.

Playing games with a load of players in your side who have hardly played together is always going to be a struggle as their will be no relationship or familiurlarity between them so they wont know much about how each other plays or things like what kind of runs they like to make or where they want ball putting when its passed to them.

5th, 10th, who gives a shit really? I think it was Mother Theresa who said "if you aint first, you're last".

I'd rather not be in Europe than the conference or Europa in all honesty. Last time it happened, we won the league the following season and the lack of games really helped.

That’s a bit daft given the revenue and back door route to the CL on offer (Europa).

I dont quite understand the reasoning behind the contract length he was given. The club gambled on Potter having double the longevity of a "normal" PL coach of just over 2 years.

For a few different reasons. The knew Potter was highly rated, but comfortable where he was and had to entice him away.

Boehly was also very keen to build a narrative after sacking Tuchel weeks into a season that even though he did so, this wasn't the same as a Roman sacking, that he wanted to a coach to build a team and over the long term.

Doing both meant that it was inevitable a long term deal was being offered, and lauded at the time by Chelsea fans as proof that they were now run different, and building for the long term, the same way this transfer strategy and these long term contracts handed out to players won't bite them either.

I didn't realise that! That's crazy!

Why on earth did they offer him that? I bet he was on around 2 million a year at Brighton?

It's a bold strategy by Chelsea just to offer everyone they bring in massive wages and lengthy contracts!

I had to Google it myself, apparently he's actually on 10m a year, De Zerbi is thought to be earning 2m - which, as you correctly guessed was what Potter was earning this time last year.

Incredible bump in pay for someone who hasn't won anything or hasn't managed any "big" players.

It's going to be a really tough job for him to turn it around from here, and with Boehly banking on everything he touches turning to gold I don't think he foresaw a scenario where his expensive manager fails within 6 months.

For a few different reasons. The knew Potter was highly rated, but comfortable where he was and had to entice him away.

Boehly was also very keen to build a narrative after sacking Tuchel weeks into a season that even though he did so, this wasn't the same as a Roman sacking, that he wanted to a coach to build a team and over the long term.

Doing both meant that it was inevitable a long term deal was being offered, and lauded at the time by Chelsea fans as proof that they were now run different, and building for the long term, the same way this transfer strategy and these long term contracts handed out to players won't bite them either.

Yeah that's all true.

We're getting into the Champions League next season through the front door this season.

Joking aside I find the attitude a bit snobby. Especially these days where it’s so competitive for everything.

If you can’t get CL this season you should be aiming for EL and maximising your chance for a spot, and trophy, the next.

We're getting into the Champions League next season through the front door this season.
Agree, and there's the added advantage of the 5th spot also qualifying for the CL. A team without any form of european competition should back themselves to finish in the top 5 at least. Also, it wont be such a catastrophe for Chelsea to stay out of CL for one season more, as it would be for Arsenal or some other club that has been absent from the highest stage of football for too long.