Graham Potter | turns down Ajax job

It was pretty obvious that this season would essentially be a free hit as long as he doesn't get relegated. But finishing bottom half would not be a good look, and they have a tough schedule ahead with potential for more humiliations.

Terrifyingly there's a fair number of fans that actually want that.

Yes, that sounds excellent, do that.

Third stint Jose must be like third season Jose on speed.

I think Boehly needs to swallow his pride, give Tuchel an apology and beg him to come back.
Even if he does, I doubt Tuchel would easily accept the offer. His team was changed a lot. It's almost hard reset for him like when he first arrive, and he would demand Boehly to give him much more control. Only an apology for coming back to do his job may not be good enough offer.

Hell. Even someone with big reputation on the line not named Tuchel would have to think really hard before accepting to takeover.

Even if he does, I doubt Tuchel would easily accept the offer. His team was changed a lot. It's almost hard reset for him like when he first arrive, and he would demand Boehly to give him much more control. Only an apology for coming back to do his job may not be good enough offer.

Hell. Even someone with big reputation on the line not named Tuchel would have to think really hard before accepting to takeover.
Think Tuchel would accept if offered.

Doubt the change of squad would put Tuchel off providing he and Boehly were in agreement.

I would write him of, but then, Arteta was basically a meme for a couple of years until he turned it around.
Who knows what happens if Chelsea gives Graham time as well, though probably not the club to do that.

I’d love to see it happen :lol:

On a more serious note, couldn’t do any worse than Potter ….could he?
I mean he'd probably get a short term uptick in results may even see us past Dortmund but appointing Jose after investing so much in young players and having the likes of Hall and Maatsen on the cusp of the first team would feel like sabotage.

I would write him of, but then, Arteta was basically a meme for a couple of years until he turned it around.
Who knows what happens if Chelsea gives Graham time as well, though probably not the club to do that.
I do think he’s a genuinely good coach, he just took the Chelsea job at the wrong time.

Arteta won the FA cup and it bought him some time. Hilariously I think people next to Boehly are actually using this example to convince him, even though the situations are nothing alike.

I mean he'd probably get a short term uptick in results may even see us past Dortmund but appointing Jose after investing so much in young players and having the likes of Hall and Maatsen on the cusp of the first team would feel like sabotage.
Yes most probably only a short term fix but amazing while it lasted. Don’t see it happening though.

Yes most probably only a short term fix but amazing while it lasted. Don’t see it happening though.
Problem with our situation is that there is no short term fix. I don’t know why there’s sections of the fan base attacking the manager like firing him is going to change anything. I couldn’t care less if we go from 0 goals a game to 2. I don’t care if we finish 6th at this point. It doesn’t change the fundamental issues at the club and that will not be solved overnight.

they were really poor yesterday

I just don’t see where the turnaround is gonna come from at this point

Won't be surprised if we see Luis Enrique managing in the Prem soon.

I’m surprised he’s still there at this point.

He's on a 5 year 12m/year contract. It'll cost them a fortune to get rid of him, unless they have some clause on payoff. Getting rid of him mostly also means getting rid of all the staff he brought in with him which compounds the payoff issue.

Last edited:
Last 11 games all comps: 1W, 4D, 6L
Last 16 games: 2W, 4D, 10L

Beyond redemption and by his comments, diverting attention to Tuchel’s pre season and so, Potter is all but admitting that he’s given up.

He's on a 5 year 12m/year contract. It'll cost them a fortune to get rid of him, unless they have some clause on payoff. Getting rid of him mostly also means getting rid of all the staff he brought in with him which compounds the payoff issue.

Oh yeah I know. He’s one of the best paid managers in the world isn’t he? It also cost a record amount to prise him away from Brighton..

That said surely there’s a red line and they can’t go on like this hoping things just fall together?

Really difficult situation

Beyond redemption and by his comments, diverting attention to Tuchel’s pre season and so, Potter is all but admitting that he’s given up.

Yeah the more I hear him speak the more I can relate to previous United managers when you know they’ve lost control.

Sad to see as I like Potter but it just doesn’t feel like he’ll get a grip of this one and steer it back. Could but wrong.

Oh yeah I know. He’s one of the best paid managers in the world isn’t he? It also cost a record amount to prise him away from Brighton..

That said surely there’s a red line and they can’t go on like this hoping things just fall together?

Really difficult situation

It's a catch 22 situation. If they get rid of Potter, it means all the players who were purchased with Potter's playing style in mind will be left to rot, just like Tuchel's purchases are now useless. That'd make it not 1 window, but 2 windows & 650m down the drain (add another 50 for Potter & his staff). Boehly's got himself into a situation where he's going to look like an idiot sacking Potter & think he'd go about "Oh, long term is what we're looking at - we're too far sighted to care about short term blips" nonsense for a few more months.

In my lifetime, I've never seen anything like this, and I've seen us being managed by Moyes.

Potter's win percentage with Chelsea is now 42%, which is lower than Tuchel's for this season before he was fired 43%.

It's a catch 22 situation. If they get rid of Potter, it means all the players who were purchased with Potter's playing style in mind will be left to rot, just like Tuchel's purchases are now useless. That'd make it not 1 window, but 2 windows & 650m down the drain (add another 50 for Potter & his staff). Boehly's got himself into a situation where he's going to look like an idiot sacking Potter & think he'd go about "Oh, long term is what we're looking at - we're too far sighted to care about short term blips" nonsense for a few more months.

In my lifetime, I've never seen anything like this, and I've seen us being managed by Moyes.
I genuinely don't think any of the players were purchased with any manager in mind. They were just purchased because Toddy wanted to buy them. No masterplan here!

Yeah Boehly has put himself in such a difficult situation I feel.

Its going to be interesting to see how it unfolds as in the past Chelsea have been ruthless with underperforming managers and as many of their fans have pointed out it has worked for them.

He's going nowhere you loons.

Is that because he shouldn’t or because there’s too much riding on him to make it work?

As we are saying above it’s a really tricky situation.

I do think he’s a genuinely good coach, he just took the Chelsea job at the wrong time.

Is there ever a right time to take the Chelsea job?

It's seems like toss of coin.

Either you do shit and get sacked or stumble on a winning formula for a year then it falls to shit and you get sacked.

Either way sign that 5 year deal and your probably only going to have to work for 2 at most.

They probably have end of season clauses that are more advantageous for the club. Wouldn't be surprised if they have results based clauses too. It's impossible to know really from the outside.
If Boelhy had to make a decision only based on results, Potter would probably have been sacked a few weeks ago. Now it doesn't even make sense to try to save this season, it's over for them, they just have to find a coach for next season and try to avoid Chelsea fans rioting.

I also think it's pretty funny that the club he left has gotten better, and the club he joined has gotten worse.

Moyes was worse. We dropped off a cliff from our previous standards but were still good enough to be in CL contention until the new year or so and the team went into freefall. That coupled with SAF’s parting words created a real division in the fanbase regarding what to do with him, and I’d imagine, the board too. Chelsea’s form is so bad now that no one would bat an eye if he’s sacked, it’s only Boehly’s ego standing in the way.

Won't be surprised if we see Luis Enrique managing in the Prem soon.

Enrique has a comfortable job with his NT and will have his pick of most clubs whenever he chooses to leave that job. I doubt he'll see the Chelsea under Boehly mid season as very appealing. Someone like Potter, this was his big chance, but Enrique may not be as desperate to jump.

Enrique has a comfortable job with his NT and will have his pick of most clubs whenever he chooses to leave that job. I doubt he'll see the Chelsea under Boehly mid season as very appealing. Someone like Potter, this was his big chance, but Enrique may not be as desperate to jump.

He left the Spanish NT job.

30% possession against Spurs when you've just bought a midfielder for over a 100 million pounds is fecking criminal

He’s almost begging to be sacked. Complaining its the hardest job in football and how the stress is affecting his family.

Reckon he wants out with a big payoff.

The worst thing for him is that Brighton have gotten even better since he left and they even lost key players in the summer

Poch, Enrique and Zidane could probably be persuaded to take the job and I’d expect one of them to be in place for next season

I thought he did a pretty good job at Brighton but it's clear that he is way way out of his depth at Chelsea.

He doesn't have that presence you need to manage a top club. He's definitely in the same category as Ole, Moyes, Hodgson as a midtable manager rather than a top level one.

He resigned at the end of the WC didn't he? Spurs and Chelsea might need a new manager soon. Maybe even City if Pep decided to call it a day.