Graham Potter | turns down Ajax job

We managed to break the Jorginho jinx today, at least that was faster then the Mudryk curse.

I find it hard to believe any version of events that has Boehly as an outside figure who isn't involved much with the running of Chelsea.

Also the PR that Potter has a huge say in recruitment is another story I find very hard to believe.

But each to their own... as a United fan I couldn't care less tbh.
Well if that's the case that further invalidates the Woodwood comparison as you lot are one of the few clubs in the modern day to still give heavy/full control to the coach.

Hopefully continues to drag down the morale of the club. They deserve all of it.

4 goals in last 10 games.
1 win in last 10 games.

Should be fired. It's that bad.
Oof... that is terrible form.

I feel bad for him as he's walked into a blazing inferno of a shitfest, the worst timing he could have wanted.

The excuses will soon start running out though, if he can't turn it around they'll have to find somebody that can.

It's starting to feel very Moyes.

not going to defend Potter, but I'm still convinced Boehly's "squad building" is the main reason for their current struggle. No manager is going to turn this into a functional squad overnight.

He's obviously in over his head, but Boehly did him no favours by bringing in so many new players in such a short time.

not going to defend Potter, but I'm still convinced Boehly's "squad building" is the main reason for their current struggle. No manager is going to turn this into a functional squad overnight.

He's obviously in over his head, but Boehly did him no favours by bringing in so many new players in such a short time.

I‘d wager Ten Hag would have gotten a tune out of them in far less time. Potter is as proven as Moyes, maybe he’ll take them to a mid table position and emulate him?

They need to suffer with Potter at least as long as we did with Moyes, then hopefully find themselves a nice LVG clone, after a couple of years of that Jose's stock might have risen just enough to give him a go again, and then when he's done John Terry will hopefully have got his coaching badges sorted.

That's the next 7-8 years sorted for them, and very well deserved it would be too.

So you mean to say that having 50 players and not getting a tune out of 11 of them is on the chairman?

A good man's reputation is ruined. He is out of depth no doubt but Chelsea's reckless buying without a structure or philosophy hasn't helped at all.
I agree with that but he should still beat Southampton and not lose to them twice in a season. Some results are too poor to blame it on other things.

Chelsea play Spurs next. Spurs haven’t beaten them since November 2018 and only beat them 4 times in league since 2010. Didn’t know they’ve been that poor vs Chelsea even with that unfamous record at Bridge

I would normally agree but they just lost to Southampton at home. There can't be any excuses for that.

How can their squad still look so utterly lacking in so many areas after this all time unprecedented spending spree?

Still only 10 points behind Newcastle in 4th.

Should they get someone else in? Or would that be Boehly admitting he made a mistake.

How can their squad still look so utterly lacking in so many areas after this all time unprecedented spending spree?

Because the players are not being put into position to succeed. There is absolutely no structure to what we do either on or off the ball - the risks our players are being asked to take in 1v1 situations under pressure without sensible options available are sizeable, yet there are no easy way to create overloads or escape traps. So when you're set up to invite pressure but not escape it, inevitably the ball just gets hoofed forwards and then no one is in position to fight for second balls when our short and technical front line inevitably loses the aerial duel. We went from being one of the most structured sides in the world under Tuchel to this chaotic mess.

At one point in the first half, we lost possession literally 4 times in a row because Kepa took a GK short to Badiashile, who would move it to Chilwell, who had no options available except for a long ball down the line to Mount (on the fecking left wing for god only knows what reason), where it was immediately turned over. Literally 4 possessions in a row.

Again - if there were any signs of positivity tactically or if players individually were improving, I'd have more patience and be willing to accept growing pains. But no one here is fecking growing - so it's just pains.

I thought the post-match interview was illuminating - Potter basically said "welp we had the CL and had to rotate, so tactically it was tough, especially because Southampton came in with a plan". Gosh, if only Chelsea were paying someone whose job it is to identify and counter opposition tactics! The cherry on top was Southampton's interim coach then said "yeah I only got here a bit ago, I had no actual plan". :wenger:

Because the players are not being put into position to succeed. There is absolutely no structure to what we do either on or off the ball - the risks our players are being asked to take in 1v1 situations under pressure without sensible options available are sizeable, yet there are no easy way to create overloads or escape traps. So when you're set up to invite pressure but not escape it, inevitably the ball just gets hoofed forwards and then no one is in position to fight for second balls when our short and technical front line inevitably loses the aerial duel. We went from being one of the most structured sides in the world under Tuchel to this chaotic mess.

At one point in the first half, we lost possession literally 4 times in a row because Kepa took a GK short to Badiashile, who would move it to Chilwell, who had no options available except for a long ball down the line to Mount (on the fecking left wing for god only knows what reason), where it was immediately turned over. Literally 4 possessions in a row.

Again - if there were any signs of positivity tactically or if players individually were improving, I'd have more patience and be willing to accept growing pains. But no one here is fecking growing - so it's just pains.

I thought the post-match interview was illuminating - Potter basically said "welp we had the CL and had to rotate, so tactically it was tough, especially because Southampton came in with a plan". Gosh, if only Chelsea were paying someone whose job it is to identify and counter opposition tactics! The cherry on top was Southampton's interim coach then said "yeah I only got here a bit ago, I had no actual plan". :wenger:

As a Wycombe fan, we get a lot of this "Wycombe had a gameplan" back handed compliment sh!te. Infuriating, as it implies the "plan" is some sort of negative/gamesmanship, how dare they put this in action against our mighty ball playing quality.

As a Wycombe fan, we get a lot of this "Wycombe had a gameplan" back handed compliment sh!te. Infuriating, as it implies the "plan" is some sort of negative/gamesmanship, how dare they put this in action against our mighty ball playing quality.

Even worse is that I think he was actually being earnest - he said that Chelsea were apparently caught pants down by Southampton's use of a target man. Meanwhile the Southampton coach just said "eh didn't have time to come up with something new, just did what the last guy did".

Also would just throw it out there that it was completely indefensible that he didn't go berserk at the ref when Mara didn't get a red card.

Even worse is that I think he was actually being earnest - he said that Chelsea were apparently caught pants down by Southampton's use of a target man. Meanwhile the Southampton coach just said "eh didn't have time to come up with something new, just did what the last guy did".

Potter was always stepping into the Lion's den taking this job, but he hasn't half been handed a stained stick.
You wouldn't think 600m of signings could be a bad thing, but it just looks so haphazard.

They need to suffer with Potter at least as long as we did with Moyes, then hopefully find themselves a nice LVG clone, after a couple of years of that Jose's stock might have risen just enough to give him a go again, and then when he's done John Terry will hopefully have got his coaching badges sorted.

That's the next 7-8 years sorted for them, and very well deserved it would be too.
Does that also mean the top blues and shit supporter insult trading will be starting in earnest soon?

Well if that's the case that further invalidates the Woodwood comparison as you lot are one of the few clubs in the modern day to still give heavy/full control to the coach.
The issue wasn't the control that was given to the coach though. It was that Woody wanted to be part of every footballing decision along with the manager. Its why there was always this confusion as to which players were Woody's and which were the manager's..

Potter was always stepping into the Lion's den taking this job, but he hasn't half been handed a stained stick.
You wouldn't think 600m of signings could be a bad thing, but it just looks so haphazard.

If he were trying different formations and approaches I might agree with you - if we had a cohesive way of approaching a football match and the players were letting him down at times as they were trying to settle or whatever that'd be one thing. Right now we are a systematic mess and Potter has done nothing to try to shake us out of it. And then on top of that, he has us doing completely avoidable things that are very obviously bad (e.g. playing Mount at left wing, leaving Enzo as the last man against one of the 2-3 fastest players in fecking Europe, thinking that Azpilicueta is a viable option at RB in a back 4, etc.)

Can they even afford to sack him? A 5 year deal on £10m a year, which is what he is reported to be on, would cost them £50m to pay off in full including wages already earned this year. Whack on the £20m compensation they paid Brighton for him and you’re looking at £70m burnt for 6 months

A mere bagatelle for Bohley :D

Hope he can turn it around and finish 7th or 8th.

Brighton played some good football under him after a long while developing and with most of the same players used to playing with each other in a certain way. All the while, both players and manager had close to zero pressure to actually win games and most of the time they didn’t.