Graham Potter | turns down Ajax job

I feel like this is where Potter finds himself now. He has nowhere to hide. The excuses are beginning to wear thin. Pitchforks are out. I don’t know many Chelsea fans that still believe in him. I’m in a very, very small minority.
I felt a lot of improvement performance wise ever since Fulham away despite results still being poor but after today I dunno, results like this just can't happen.

Would Poch go there?
Hopefully not. He's a good coach but I think his style of football is not great to watch and transfer market record poor.

My first option would be Enrique or failing that testing Stefano Pioli's resolve as he recently ranted about the financial advantage the PL have.

Maybe Flick can be an interim option, similar to how Hiddink coached both us and Russia temporarily.

My first option would be Enrique or failing that testing Stefano Pioli's resolve as he recently ranted about the financial advantage the PL have.

I really don't see an overarching plan with the signings (both player and manager wise) if you really go for Enrique. It really does seem like the early years of United post-fergie. Just jumping around between big names and play styles without a semblance of a coherent strategy.

Hopefully not. He's a good coach but I think his style of football is not great to watch and transfer market record poor.

Maybe Flick can be an interim option, similar to how Hiddink coached both us and Russia temporarily.
Enrique would be mad to take the job mid season. It's not his type of team at all.

Germany isn't Russia and Flick isn't Hiddink.

Pioli isn't coming mid season when he is fighting for CL places and CL.

It'd be either Poch or any new interim.

Can they even afford to sack him? A 5 year deal on £10m a year, which is what he is reported to be on, would cost them £50m to pay off in full including wages already earned this year. Whack on the £20m compensation they paid Brighton for him and you’re looking at £70m burnt for 6 months
There is always a get out clause in all managerial contracts. Certainly won't be 50m.

They're mad if they go into that Dortmund game with Potter in charge.

Hrm? The NL is the far better of the two at the moment. The top 5 teams are the Braves, Astros, Dodgers, Mets, and Padres in some order.

Yeah, but MLB is just way less competitive because 70% of the league doesn't even try to win from the start of the season.

Anyways I don't think his Dodgers ownership proves or disqualified anything about his ability to be a good owner for Chelsea.

Enrique would be mad to take the job mid season. It's not his type of team at all.

Curious as to why you don't think it's an Enrique team? It feels to me very much like an Enrique / Tuchel / Pep team that should be positionally structured but is not being deployed that way by Potter.

Yeah, but MLB is just way less competitive because 70% of the league doesn't even try to win from the start of the season.

Anyways I don't think his Dodgers ownership proves or disqualified anything about his ability to be a good owner for Chelsea.

I do think the novel commercialization the Dodgers have employed and the long-term planning are illustrative - but yes there is definitely a lot lost in translation between baseball and football.

And just to be clear - I wasn't trying to argue that this group are infallible or anything, I was just pushing back on the assertion that Boehly et al have failed with the Dodgers.

That's 9 wins in 25 for Potter - Lampard won 44 in 84 for Chelsea.

And 2 wins in last 15 games. The results have gotten worse instead of getting better after the new manager bounce period.

Awful post-match interview today too, calling Southhampton a "well prepared", "settled team" and blaming the CL tie for making changes in the line up today.

Potter, you're playing the very bottom team of the league (who is STILL the bottom of the league after they got those 3 points today) without a manager at Stamford Bridge. Southhampton hadn't kept a clean sheet for 20+ games or something.

Last edited:
Think they'll give him till end of the season. No point changing managers now.

Because the players are not being put into position to succeed. There is absolutely no structure to what we do either on or off the ball - the risks our players are being asked to take in 1v1 situations under pressure without sensible options available are sizeable, yet there are no easy way to create overloads or escape traps. So when you're set up to invite pressure but not escape it, inevitably the ball just gets hoofed forwards and then no one is in position to fight for second balls when our short and technical front line inevitably loses the aerial duel. We went from being one of the most structured sides in the world under Tuchel to this chaotic mess.

At one point in the first half, we lost possession literally 4 times in a row because Kepa took a GK short to Badiashile, who would move it to Chilwell, who had no options available except for a long ball down the line to Mount (on the fecking left wing for god only knows what reason), where it was immediately turned over. Literally 4 possessions in a row.

Again - if there were any signs of positivity tactically or if players individually were improving, I'd have more patience and be willing to accept growing pains. But no one here is fecking growing - so it's just pains.

I thought the post-match interview was illuminating - Potter basically said "welp we had the CL and had to rotate, so tactically it was tough, especially because Southampton came in with a plan". Gosh, if only Chelsea were paying someone whose job it is to identify and counter opposition tactics! The cherry on top was Southampton's interim coach then said "yeah I only got here a bit ago, I had no actual plan". :wenger:

Agree. I've said I thought Potter was put in a terrible situation with the injuries and then that absurd window with so many signings (all of whom are young and needed a bedding process) just shoved on him. It's tough for any manager to set a 1st choice XI in that case. However, at this point it's clear that it doesn't seem like there is much of a plan as you've said. Even with ETH in his first weeks, you could clearly see what we were trying to do and pull off especially in the first two phases of our build up. It didn't always work, but the ideas were clear even if the players didn't execute them well enough yet. With Potter, it looks like a bad version of Ole ball where everything is just off the cuff. Players just coming up with ideas on the spot and there's no real pattern. Which was the opposite of how that team played under Tuchel, where they were drilled into oblivion in their structure and build up even if they were the most exciting attacking side.

Or maybe they can pluck De Zerbi, I hear Brighton are doing well...

Bit of Moyes vibes going on with him tbh, was proper deer in headlights stuff yesterday.

And the way it’s going, his Brighton’s inability to finish chances seems to have persisted at Chelsea as well, so hardly an issue limited to quality of players at his command.

I've let my thoughts stew for a bit. There are bits I like about watching their games in the background mostly because of the individual flair.

But either Potter hasnt set them up well enough, or they need time to gel. I'm leaning towards more of the former, especially defensively.

This seasons a complete write off. I’m totally disconnected from it. I don’t believe changing manager will have enough of a positive effect on the team at this point to truly be worth it.

The players need time to gel together, It’s a similar (but much much worse) case of when Ranieri was in charge in the first season of RA. We had some pretty mixed results and failed to produce at times we were expected to.

I’m of the opinion that it should just continue until the end of the season and then have a full inquiry into the season. Positives (if any), what went wrong and how to proceed. If at the end the manager leaves then so be it. But any knee jerk reaction is unlikely to alter the current trajectory of the team at this time.

There is always a get out clause in all managerial contracts. Certainly won't be 50m.
I’d love to see a manager’s contract, especially if they are all the same - will take away all the wondering and speculation one hears so often.

Potter won't succeed in Chelsea or any other big clubs. He just lacks a bit of aura or persona, or even "madness", to be a big club manager.

Potter did very well at Brighton, and while it's quite possible that he just lacks whatever it takes to fit in at a club like Chelsea, it's not as if anyone with any sense can claim that he's such an inept manager that their disastrous season matches his abilities. These results go way beyond that. A team could have no manager at all and do better than this. With the sheer amount of talent they have, they should not be struggling this much. That's a sign of bigger problems, so I don't think sacking Potter will accomplish much on its own. It's hard to see how he can stay after the way things have gone, but if the only thing they do is sack him, I doubt his replacement will fare much better. That club is deeply dysfunctional.

This seasons a complete write off. I’m totally disconnected from it. I don’t believe changing manager will have enough of a positive effect on the team at this point to truly be worth it.

The players need time to gel together, It’s a similar (but much much worse) case of when Ranieri was in charge in the first season of RA. We had some pretty mixed results and failed to produce at times we were expected to.

I’m of the opinion that it should just continue until the end of the season and then have a full inquiry into the season. Positives (if any), what went wrong and how to proceed. If at the end the manager leaves then so be it. But any knee jerk reaction is unlikely to alter the current trajectory of the team at this time.

I think you're being harsh on Ranieri, he came second to the Invincible's and got to a Champions League semi final. The level up to Jose was incredible but you'll never know what could've been had Roman not pulled the trigger.

Potter stinks of Moyes at United, the way he talks his very similar to Moyes and he comes across as way too passive in the media.
Now it maybe you do give him time which you may argue we didn't give to Moyes but there comes a time where you say it just isn't gong to be.

I felt a lot of improvement performance wise ever since Fulham away despite results still being poor but after today I dunno, results like this just can't happen.

I find it most amazing that Chelsea have spent £500 million - and still can't buy a single player who can score a goal.

I think you're being harsh on Ranieri, he came second to the Invincible's and got to a Champions League semi final. The level up to Jose was incredible but you'll never know what could've been had Roman not pulled the trigger.

Potter stinks of Moyes at United, the way he talks his very similar to Moyes and he comes across as way too passive in the media.
Now it maybe you do give him time which you may argue we didn't give to Moyes but there comes a time where you say it just isn't gong to be.

Stop insulting Moyes - he actually won 27 out of 52 games at United. Potter...is a lot worse than that - despite getting 15 new players for £500 million

Chelsea would be mad to get rid of him before they play us.

I think he’s an excellent coach and I really like him, so yeah I hope he can turn it around. I understand just being a good coach isn’t enough at a club like Chelsea and you can be Pep and Klopp rolled into one but if the fruits of your coaching isn’t showing on the pitch for a prolonged period with results getting worse and worse, then eventually your position becomes untenable.

I feel like this is where Potter finds himself now. He has nowhere to hide. The excuses are beginning to wear thin. Pitchforks are out. I don’t know many Chelsea fans that still believe in him. I’m in a very, very small minority.

What do you see in him Pat that makes you want to keep him?
All banter aside his results are just awful and there just isn't any sign of cohesion.
He's got a poison chalice IMO. Lots of big egos to work with.
I just don't think his name is big enough for the players.

I find it most amazing that Chelsea have spent £500 million - and still can't buy a single player who can score a goal.

It is more amazing that people attribute Chelsea's poor results on injuries while they have a 30 men squad can still field the following players with all the injuries:

Mudryk - Havertz - Ziyech
Felix
Kovacic - Enzo
Chiwell - Koulibaly - Silva - James
Kepa

Sterling - Fofana - Madueke
Mount - Gallagher - Zakaria
Cucurella - Fofana - Badiashile - Azp

it is never a squad that wins 2 games in 15

Well we are on our way to championship under new ownership :lol: . We are on relegation form and thanks we got few wins at start of the season otherwise we in the mix still possibility though.

It is more amazing that people attribute Chelsea's poor results on injuries while they have a 30 men squad can still field the following players with all the injuries:

Mudryk - Havertz - Ziyech
Felix
Kovacic - Enzo
Chiwell - Koulibaly - Silva - James
Kepa

Sterling - Fofana - Madueke
Mount - Gallagher - Zakaria
Cucurella - Fofana - Badiashile - Azp

it is never a squad that wins 2 games in 15

If you look at the players they used before they went stir crazy in january, then it was a valid excuse. Now it is not