Graham Potter | turns down Ajax job

You can see why though. They've overspent on some players, spent loads on youngsters that they probably don't intend on playing any time soon, have had players injured that they spent a lot on. Then you've got crap signings like Auba, who were done because they're desperate. Then obviously week over £100m on 1 player. I think some of their signings will be good in the long run, but it's been scattergun so far out of desperation. Their team aged overnight and required a major rebuild, leaving them panicking.
Their signing could have a good impact later as you said. For that, they would need a strong manager to get rid of some players from there to build a functional team. It looks like Potter himself is showing that he is not that guy.

Tough old job Potter has. Going to be interesting if the owner sticks with him. On paper Potter is their man in how they want to operate but they might just have to sack him and get a typical manager in that the players demand. Potter needed to get that respect and belief from high profile players quickly and time is running out. A CL run could help a lot, they could turn the tie around at home to Dortmund, I kind of expect it, they've got through ties while doing poorly in the league in recent times but could easily come to an end.

What was bad for Frank is how quickly Tuchel got that big spend up and running, it might be the same here with Potter and his replacement.

A coach whose greatest strength is uniting his squads and using unique psychology to build bonds between his players…

…in a job where he doesn’t have any time with his players before more players arrive. A club with a strong history of player power and no time for his games.

He was done for the moment he signed with the cowboy in charge firing at any player that moves.

With that said, he has also let himself down badly, losing games like these to far inferior sides. Both can be true at once and his Brighton Xg fans need to relent and admit that he hasn’t been good enough.

Its a woeful performance and he needs to be so careful choosing his next club. A better run club than Brighton, he won’t find…unless Thomas Frank gets the call from Chelsea and is mad enough to go for it!

Any manager answering Chelsea’s call should be extremely wary right now.

Was Arteta this bad?
In both 19/20 and 20/21 Arteta finished 8th... Arsenal's worst result since 1995... And he managed to have them outside top 6 for 2 of the only 4 times they've ever done that in the PL era.

Chelsea's current ranking (10 th) is no worse than what they did 6 years ago and it doesn't make their PL's worst 4 results... So I'd say unless he actually finishes the season in 10th and does it again next year he's still above Arteta's first seasons.

In both 19/20 and 20/21 Arteta finished 8th... Arsenal's worst result since 1995... And he managed to have them outside top 6 for 2 of the only 4 times they've ever done that in the PL era.

Chelsea's current ranking (10 th) is no worse than what they did 6 years ago and it doesn't make their PL's worst 4 results... So I'd say unless he actually finishes the season in 10th and does it again next year he's still above Arteta's first seasons.
If Arteta was given the money Potter had I think he'd do a lot better. Potter took over a team that not long ago won the Champions League

It's quite unfair on Potter. They're just 2 strikers, 4 midfielders, 4 defenders and a world class goalkeeper away from competing for Europa spot.

A good man's reputation is ruined. He is out of depth no doubt but Chelsea's reckless buying without a structure or philosophy hasn't helped at all.

If Arteta was given the money Potter had I think he'd do a lot better. Potter took over a team that not long ago won the Champions League

The CL reference is a bit misleading, given they did win it with a core (A sensational Mendy, Silva, Kanté + Jorginho) that's not available currently (Or only Silva is, but he is 2 years older at this age every year count massively).. I think time is more important than money. Of course, they should have stuck with Tuchel and let him work with the new players but they didn't... Now they got Potter and I believe their best course of action is to give him time...

Nah you could at least see what Arteta was trying to build there. Haven't really got a clue what Chelsea are doing. It's reminiscent of United with Woodward and [insert whatever manager here]. They are all over the place
Really? Style wise what was he "clearly building" in the first 12 months?

They were playing like Stoke and not even playing the youth, Saka aside.

They were always going to revert to their old level when Abramovich left. Never got the impression they had cemented themselves as a top tier club beyond the money. Potter is doing a terrible job but it doesn't matter who is there, they will struggle.
I disagree. People always tend to make these sweeping judgments when teams are playing poorly. Particularly big sides. There was a consistent theme that reinventing United as a competitive force was a 5 year job. Some were even saying 10 years! It doesn't seem that way now, it looks more like a handful of astute signings and this manager can do the business.

It is amazing how the feeling around a club changes with the right manager. A top manager makes things seem very simple. I think if someone goes in there, maybe gets a striker or invest in Nkunku, there is loads of talent to work with. The problem is they're not even approaching a cohesive team at the moment which is entirely the job of a manager to enable very quickly. Potter just looks out of his league at this moment so there is a feeling of hopelessness.

To be fair I’m not sure how much say Potter has over the players being brought in.
Tuchel was forced to follow Boehly around for the summer transfer window. Safe to say that Potter being his man, has plenty of input over the transfers. Mudryk was a Brighton target for example, so it wasn't just a random hijack, it was most likely Potter approved.

Southampton are a good side but I cant fault the effort of the boys you just need that little bit of luck something something

To be fair I’m not sure how much say Potter has over the players being brought in.
Tuchel walked into the training ground one morning and was surprised to meet Zakaria. He didn’t know why the player was there.

When you actually google Potter's record as a manager there is very little he has achieved, and nothing which would suggest he is capable of managing a champions league winning team.

Throwing 600+ millions worth of players into the mix just adds to the chaos.

United fans know full well the curve Chelsea are currently on...its Woody 2.0 x10 (and long may it continue)

Tuchel walked into the training ground one morning and was surprised to meet Zakaria. He didn’t know why the player was there.
Yet Tuchel was responsible for Koulibaly, Sterling and Auba. All of which had a reputation that had long proceeded them.

Yet Tuchel was responsible for Koulibaly, Sterling and Auba. All of which had a reputation that had long proceeded them.
Wasn’t Auba a panic buy because the owner fecked up the window? Because he refused Ronaldo?
Sterling is a bit unfair

United fans know full well the curve Chelsea are currently on...its Woody 2.0 x10 (and long may it continue)
That's a bizarre comparison purely because even if it was true, Boehly stepped down after one window and handed the reigns to his colleague and recruitment team compared to Woodwood who clung on for what 9 years?

That's a bizarre comparison purely because even if it was true, Boehly stepped down after one window and handed the reigns to his colleague and recruitment team compared to Woodwood who clung on for what 9 years?

I find it hard to believe any version of events that has Boehly as an outside figure who isn't involved much with the running of Chelsea.

Also the PR that Potter has a huge say in recruitment is another story I find very hard to believe.

But each to their own... as a United fan I couldn't care less tbh.

Last edited:
Boehly is a nut case. How do these people get rich running successful businesses?

They’d have been much better off if he just didn’t interfere at all. Tuchel would’ve had them 5th at least, without spending another penny.

Boehly is a nut case. How do these people get rich running successful businesses?

They’d have been much better off if he just didn’t interfere at all. Tuchel would’ve had them 5th at least, without spending another penny.

A successful business is often down to the management team actually running the company.
Chelsea have the worst of both - poor management and an interfering owner.