Graham Potter | turns down Ajax job

4 goals in last 10 games.
1 win in last 10 games.

Should be fired. It's that bad.
With that squad it's inexcusable.
Boehly only has himself to blame. Thinking that someone like Potter would be an upgrade over Tuchel is madness.

His position feels untenable, but I hope it works out.

In all seriousness do you really want him to stay? If it's not this month or next month or at the end of the season, at some point in the not too distant future he's getting the sack. He's never going to make it as a top manager. It's that obvious and his Brighton stint was over praised. Most of the time he was pretty poor at Brighton apart from a few short boosts.

As a United fan, I hope he stays but if you want success with Chelsea, no matter which players you have, he's not the man to lead them.

In all seriousness do you really want him to stay? If it's not this month or next month or at the end of the season, at some point in the not too distant future he's getting the sack. He's never going to make it as a top manager. It's that obvious and his Brighton stint was over praised. Most of the time he was pretty poor at Brighton apart from a few short boosts.

As a United fan, I hope he stays but if you want success with Chelsea, no matter which players you have, he's not the man to lead them.

Worst case scenario is surely seeing out the season, getting even more backing in the Summer, and then getting sacked in the Autumn if the bad form continues.

Worst case scenario is surely seeing out the season, getting even more backing in the Summer, and then getting sacked in the Autumn if the bad form continues.
There is still the option of today the rock bottom that shocked him into action and begins the process of growth and redefining of himself. We can never know.

Surely you work it in that you take responsibility?
It’s the exact opposite of Ten Hag running 10k odd after Brentford
I don't think its smart for him to say that in public and put ridiculous media fire on himself. Ten Hag just 2 games, Potter is in a bit ore of a fiery situation. Pun intended :lol:

Was he that great at Brighton or was he just a cog in a well-oiled machine?

I don't think its smart for him to say that in public and put ridiculous media fire on himself. Ten Hag just 2 games, Potter is in a bit ore of a fiery situation. Pun intended :lol:
But aren’t they media trained for this? Something like I don’t think one aspect is the problem, we all have to take responsibility and we’ll all work hard to find a way out of it.
Not me Guv is a terrible answer!

Why? Because he’s shite?

Because expectations are lower, and there would be no transfers, and it would be much more like managing Brighton.

90% of international games are like playing League 1 or League 2 opposition, and he would only have to raise the team's game for a small minority of matches. I think he is no worse than Southgate, and showed at Brighton that he could beat the bigger teams on one-off occasions.

Because expectations are lower, and there would be no transfers, and it would be much more like managing Brighton.

90% of international games are like playing League 1 or League 2 opposition, and he would only have to raise the team's game for a small minority of matches. I think he is no worse than Southgate, and showed at Brighton that he could beat the bigger teams on one-off occasions.
I would say the expectations are higher, and he’s never come close to winning anything.

Also, from what we’ve seen from Southgate, the only way to get England playing well and competitive is by creating an environment where people feel safe and trusted despite who they play for. Potter can’t even get Chelsea players to get along and pull in the right direction.

Got to feel for him. He was ready for a step up, however Chelsea was the worst move imaginable considering all the player movements and other goings on at the club. Lack of experience at this level and he couldn’t really have landed in it any deeper.

Potters biggest problem is De Zerbi, he has made Brighton look a more fluid, more exciting and more clinical unit. Potters Brighton created lots of chances but couldn’t score, same as his current Chelsea iteration. I don’t think he will get to see the Dortmund return leg.

Both way better options if you ask me. Enrique was my pick before we got Ten Hag, I don’t think you could go wrong there.

Enrique is a terrible manager. His success at Barcelona was more down to the players at his disposal. Tactically, he us inept.

:lol: Both way better options if you ask me. Enrique was my pick before we got Ten Hag, I don’t think you could go wrong there.

Yeah, for me he and Tuchel are both clearly the best options that are even remotely feasible - Zidane would be in there as well but he seems focused on clubs to which he has prior ties.

Maybe you mean the nations league, but when it comes to actual tourneys or qualifiers, England are expected to win every game.

Let's all laugh at Chelsea.

The resident Chelsea fan postman pat and co probably think Potter should get more time.

:lol:

Always enjoy our chats even if we disagree! If you're ever in Lisbon hope you drop a line - would love to get a pint so we I can sell you on the virtues of Benfica!

Same, and likewise if you’re ever in London. On Potter, I feel as though you may get your wish sooner rather than later, despite the voice of support coming out of the club.

I think thats a bit harsh, think he brought Brighton to a stable Premier league team, Chelsea probably a bad move but a move most would have taken. He will imo be sacked and its only a matter of when.

Boehly thinks Chelsea are the dodgers. But even the dodgers only have 1 covid world series and have next to zero competition in the National League.

I think he’s an excellent coach and I really like him, so yeah I hope he can turn it around. I understand just being a good coach isn’t enough at a club like Chelsea and you can be Pep and Klopp rolled into one but if the fruits of your coaching isn’t showing on the pitch for a prolonged period with results getting worse and worse, then eventually your position becomes untenable.

I feel like this is where Potter finds himself now. He has nowhere to hide. The excuses are beginning to wear thin. Pitchforks are out. I don’t know many Chelsea fans that still believe in him. I’m in a very, very small minority.

Honestly, it's just not actually that good of a squad. I don't care how much they got fleeced for some of the players. I'd feel for him, but you know the score in this game, he'd happily take the sack and massive payoff.

Hrm? The NL is the far better of the two at the moment. The top 5 teams are the Braves, Astros, Dodgers, Mets, and Padres in some order.

Financially the only teams above are the Yankees and Red Sox who have also underachieved recently.

The Dodgers' star studden lineup is being shown up by the Astros and Braves you are right. Actually in baseball the trend is in analytics, sustainable teams, youth, defense and making bold decisions on bullpen arms.

Crazy spending doesn't solely get the job done.

Financially the only teams above are the Yankees and Red Sox who have also underachieved recently.

The Dodgers' star studden lineup is being shown up by the Astros and Braves you are right. Actually in baseball the trend is in analytics, sustainable teams, youth, defense and making bold decisions on bullpen arms.

Crazy spending doesn't solely get the job done.

The Mets are on par with those 3 now since the Cohen takeover. And it's an imperfect comparison because huge spending in baseball is penalized via the salary tax.

I think it's very fair to criticize Boehly for a lot of the decisions made with Chelsea - with the Dodgers outside of signing Trevor Bauer I don't think they've done much wrong (and even with Bauer they reacted in a very admirable way, I'd say). Yes they've spent but they did so on infrastructure, their farm system (believe they've consistently paid over-slot in the draft), and they've been opportunistic with the free agents they've gone for typically (e.g. Mookie Betts). Respectfully I don't think the critiques you've leveled at them are accurate - the Dodgers are one of the most analytically-inclined teams, their age profile is very good, defensively they're excellent, etc etc (and this is coming from a Braves fan).

Genuinely think a lot of the problem for them is the simple fact that baseball analytics are lightyears ahead of football analytics and always will be - simply because baseball features series of discreet events, it's orders of magnitude easier to analyze and model. They're very obviously defaulting to their prior expertise - and the learning curve is steep because there are far more unquantifiable variables with football statistics.